Battletech/Mechwarrior, Interest?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 20, 2016 6:55 pm
I really love Keleth's Gamer's Plane project and have been with it from the beginning but it seems D&D and Star Wars are really the only thing anyone is interested in (and perhaps Numenara). Recently I began a Ghostbusters game on the site and failed to really garner any interest, when my only 3 players went inactive I closed the game, which is unfortunate as I put a lot of work into it and have a lot love for the IP.

All that said I also love the Battletech IP and imagine it may be more interesting to the people here. I have been playing in a game of Battletech: A time of War with my live group and have been having a great time. I want to run a game here on GP and would like to use Battletech; however, it is a record keeping heavy game with a complicated character creation process. I have software to help with it all but it is still an undertaking I am unwilling to take unless I garner some interest. So is there any?

Questions?:

What is Battletech?

How are we handling Character Creation if it is complicated?
I will handle it all with input from the players, you will literally be playing a role I create for you but you will have a hand in it.

Do I need to know the universe?
It helps, but is not necessary I will give you a primer before the game. Also Everything you need to know here

This game seems vehicle heavy and I read it links with the boardgame, how will we handle that?
Scenario 1: We use the abstract vehicle combat rules in the rpg and use some theatre of the mind to make it work
Scenario 2: We use a free software called Megamek to play out the battles in real time. (This would be more interesting but would require time zones lining up and time to get a live game in.
We can discuss the method we wish to use for this in the future.

Why is it called Battletech and Mechwarrior?
A mechwarrior is someone who pilots a battlemech (giant robot) in the lore. All video games in the battletech universe were originally licensed under the name Mechwarrior as was the original RPG. The most current mechwarrior video game is Mechwarrior Online, it is free to play, available on steam, and we have a unit (clan in other games) called Silhouette if anyone is interested in joining me in battle in that capacity.
Last edited November 20, 2016 11:19 pm
Nov 20, 2016 7:46 pm
I love the Battletech world. I remember playing at the game years ago when I found a copy laying around in our basement. I could "easily" do it, if we were using Scenario 1.

I'd certainly be interested. Additionally, it makes me sad that your GB game went bust. I only found the system like 2 years ago on a business trip to Philly, but it was a lot of fun.
Nov 20, 2016 9:31 pm
Sorry that your last experience didn't go so well. That said, I am ABSOLUTELY interested in a mechwarrior game. I wanted to run one for my own live group, but they're painfully lazy at times and wouldn't be up for the record keeping that it takes.

I'm in a good bit of games at the moment so I'd favor others being in the game before me, but if a spot were available and you need someone, I'd definitely join. I don't know the lore that well, beyond some basics.

I've also played a lot of MWO! I'd be happy to join you there.
Nov 20, 2016 11:34 pm
Glad to see a little interest, I would like to see 4 players overall as that constitutes a lance (squad) in universe and 4 also just seems to work well as a group size in rpgs.

In other news I noticed a few of the links above were broken and I have fixed them.
Nov 21, 2016 2:44 am
I LOVE the Battletech universe! Grew up on the anime in the 80's, and played a lot of Mechwarrior back in the 90's. Am currently in too many games though, and given my crazy work schedule, would have trouble with scheduling a live game. I wish you the best of luck!
Last edited November 21, 2016 3:58 am
Nov 21, 2016 3:45 am
I'm a bit on the fence. I love the idea of the world, and I am no stranger to keeping records and the mechanics dont scare me, but I am a wee bit unsure of the way we will be playing. If we use Scenario 1, then I think I can manage. Scenario 2, well I actually doubt it.

Still though, Mech's and battletech are dope! Just let me know which way the game will be played and I'll either excitedly join or regretfully pass.
Nov 21, 2016 11:31 am
Glad to see a little more interest. Nikcollini I would say that even though I would love to play out the battles in megamek as it would be more of a battletech experience and be more accurate to the rules, I realize this is a very unlikely scenario. PBP in general is done by people who do not have time for live games, so I figured it a long shot. If we get enough interest we will be playing with the tactical combat rules in the rpg handbook. We will probably speed it up even further by abstracting some of the vehicle statistics as well. Of course the other option is to not do vehicle combat at all, Battletech is a rich universe filled with espionage, political intrigue, infantry action, and so on, but why play a game about giant robots without giant robots.
Nov 22, 2016 9:27 am
Just want to mention that I'm still paying attention to this thread (and bumping it) with lots of interest, fingers cross that it pans out, because mechwarrior is excellent.
Nov 22, 2016 12:59 pm
I would be keen. I played a weekly AtoW game for 3 years and loved it. GM just converted it back to 2nd ed, which is cool too
Nov 22, 2016 1:10 pm
I've played a whole lot of the MechWarrior games and loved them. I'm a little busy with the games I have now but I hope this takes off.
Nov 22, 2016 2:28 pm
It would appear we have a decent amount of interest and four players seemingly willing to commit. I will set up the game and begin posting about chargen while everyone who wants to play applies.
Nov 22, 2016 3:17 pm
So glad you've made the forums public, I played Mechwarrior as a child and only recently discovered there's a boardgame and RPG. Can't get into new rules/worlds right now and since this is vehicle-heavy, I did not apply to join but I will be reading with excitement!
Nov 22, 2016 3:19 pm
Same here! I will be reading along! :-)
Nov 22, 2016 10:26 pm
I always make my games public in case anyone wanted to read along. Glad to hear that there is some interest in following the story. Game is technically full but if anyone else is interested in playing let me know and I can open another slot.
Nov 29, 2016 10:04 am
Belated I know, but I would very much be interested in a game. I'm a huge fan of the universe, and Battletech/Mechwarrior was my first RPG oh so many years ago.
Nov 29, 2016 10:09 am
I had a fifth slot open, I will open it back up. We are almost ready to start so if you could please join quick and start posting in the character generation thread so we can get you setup.
Dec 1, 2016 12:40 am
I will play if you need any more player or side characters for random stuff

You do not have permission to post in this thread.