A Very Tentative Iffy Story-Crafting Experiment

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 1, 2016 3:56 pm
I always thought the idea of the classic play by post round robin rather odd, if not limiting. The idea that my participation, let alone my play, was always limited to one character always made me scratch my head. Further, as a GM the blessing/burden of world-building and world-maintaining drove me to the lighter side of madness. I saw on some websites that play-by-post was also called collaborative story-telling, yet still the individual character and player remained. I thought, why not tell a story where the crafters take over any aspect of the story they wish- from taking one character, introducing an army, the contents of a character’s letter, or exploring the thoughts of an ambushing goblin?

Thus a long time ago, in a site far far away, I created a game called "The Company- A True Collaborative Storytelling Experiment" and I am wondering if I can resurrect it here. I will say this, it did not go far. Hemmed by time and the weight of the immense freedom of the writing it fizzled quick and hard- though with some pretty deep thoughts on the possibility of doing it. I came up with pretty much one rule and the thread spun off from there…
Quote:
RULES OF THE TALE:

1. Before each story a few maxims are agreed upon. This means that the story-tellers would like to or not like to see certain things in the story. All players, whether they participated in the brainstorm or not, should abide by these parameters.

2. Every player puts in an investment, something you feel strong about in the story in four areas:

▪ A Person- A player character that you would like to see in the story.
▪ A Place-  Somewhere that the crafter would like to see the story move to. The place could also set the tone for the tale.
▪ A Thing-  A thing that the crafter would like to see in the story, this could belong to one of the character NOT your own.
▪ A Factoid- A fact about the world, its people, its fauna, anything that will go into the game's growing Handbook. Examples of this are, vampires are allergic to sun light, cigars are prevalent in the tropical regions, its tough to distinguish female and male dwarves. Something that the crafters can use but does not hugely affect the story.

3. Each crafter takes turns (deciding upon traditional round-robin for now) being the narrator. Posting as the narrator means the person can take the story and its characters further, without destroying the fabric of said story. The difference is that the narrator, unlike traditional play-by-post narrates on EVERY aspect of the story.
Last night, musing about Gamers Plane, I thought why not introduce my new companions in arms here to this chaotic bliss?

Thoughts, interests, laughter?
Dec 1, 2016 4:07 pm
This is interesting. And no dice rolls or anything? Just freeform storytelling within the agreed-upon parameters? What sort of setting/tone do you have in mind for this?
Dec 1, 2016 4:18 pm
That's a really neat idea and worth a shot, I think.
Dec 1, 2016 8:43 pm
It has always been in the back of my mind, and my only real demand or plotline if you prefer, is that it concern a company of heroes, either the Dungeons and Dragons kind of company or even like a certain Black Company. Though I can hardly imagine a Black Company dungeon-crawling.
Dec 2, 2016 12:18 am
And I am more than happy to hear any suggestions or even thoughts. I originally thought of five people around a fire waiting for something to happen but hey why not a tavern? Someone write the memories of a dead sword, the last thing on a battlefield?

Today I was thinking of writing about the scout dog of a company of heroes.

Did I mention I am getting a kick out of using my iPad's keyboard?
Dec 2, 2016 5:21 am
I'll throw in my hat. This sounds like a blast!
Dec 2, 2016 5:22 am
I'm very interested, but I may be extremely busy for the next month, and shouldn't join for risk of holding it up. If you do something like this again later, I'd definitely be interested!
Dec 2, 2016 7:28 am
MoMo says:
I'm very interested, but I may be extremely busy for the next month, and shouldn't join for risk of holding it up. If you do something like this again later, I'd definitely be interested!
Always open amigo, unless someone crashes the sky upon us.
Dec 4, 2016 7:15 am
I'd like to commit, but hands are quite tied for the foreseeable future. I'd love to keep up with the tale when you guys get going though!
Dec 4, 2016 9:10 pm
Sounds awesome to me, I'ld give it a go.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.