Looking to learn Fate

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 3, 2016 3:57 pm
I recently picked up the humble book bundle that had a bunch of RPGs in it and I've been enamored with the Atomic Robo RPG. It's based on the Fate system and I would love to GM it one day, but Id really like to get a chance to play/learn Fate first.

Anyone working on a Fate game any time soon and be willing to do some hand holding?
Dec 6, 2016 8:34 am
I've never played it but i'd like to give it a try.
Last edited December 6, 2016 9:12 am
Dec 7, 2016 1:09 am
OK...I'm hesitant, but I love Fate. What kind of game are you looking for. I saw DKDBSD's other post about wanting an Anime themed game. So, what does that mean? Do you want to play in a specific show/world? Are you OK creating a world? If you are, what is it that you specifically want to see?

WarDomo, how do you feel about this idea? Same questions to you.

I have access to a lot of Fate materials beyond the core book, but not Atomic Robo. I have a general idea of what makes that different, but don't think I can do it justice without more reading. One of the settings I can supply rules for is actually centers around giant robot mechs. But I can go a lot of different directions.
Dec 7, 2016 3:39 am
I'm up for anything. Eventually I'd like to run Atomic Robo, but I want to play anything fate first before trying to gm
Dec 7, 2016 4:06 am
Cool.

Another question I didn't think about is whether we want to play Fate Core or Fate Accelerated. I'm good either way, and they both have their strong points. Fate Core is a bit more technical with all the skills. Fate Accelerated is simpler, using approaches rather than skills, but can it means we can build on easily.

Depending on the setting, one version could make more sense than another.
Dec 7, 2016 4:10 am
I think robo is based on fate core, but other than that I don't have much preference
Dec 7, 2016 4:25 am
I'd love to learn actual FATE. Core or Accelerated. I've also got a copy of Robo (looking forward to trying that one with my kid).
Dec 7, 2016 6:50 am
Maskcot says:
OK...I'm hesitant, but I love Fate. What kind of game are you looking for. I saw DKDBSD's other post about wanting an Anime themed game. So, what does that mean? Do you want to play in a specific show/world? Are you OK creating a world? If you are, what is it that you specifically want to see?.
What I mean by Anime is the themes, the styles, I have a setting in my head based on the our world becoming like an anime. Other then that I don't have any particular setting. I'd bs willing to trythis Atomic Robo setting, not sure what it is but a quick google search would solve that.
Dec 7, 2016 9:06 am
I actually have Atomic Robo, so I may actually be interested in this. I can't say I am terribly interested in an Anime setting. I'd love to learn fate though.
Dec 7, 2016 10:14 am
Sounds like fun, i'd be up for this.
Dec 7, 2016 8:13 pm
Ok...Atomic Robo it is. I need to do some reading, and I'm mobile right now. I'll start a game when back at my machine and you guys will be able to start character creation at least. It is the Brainstoeming that im not 100% on yet
Dec 7, 2016 10:48 pm
OKAY! Got the game started.
I've invited those who have posted there interest in this thread. If you change your mind just let me know and I will open it up to others. Capping it at 4 for the moment, but I might allow more players. We shall see how it goes.

Wound up sitting around for an hour waiting on other people to do their jobs, so I had time to read the Fate SRD for Atomic Robo again so I feel confident I can run this. I'm not 100% proficient on the history of the Atomic Robo comic, but I've read enough for us to get by. If you are aficionados, I hope you can forgive if I step on the established cannon occasionally. Like, I know Robo has a "head of security" at Tesladyne...but I don't know the name of that character or exactly what they've done in the story, but I know two of Robo's recurring nemeses, and I'm really hoping I can work one of them in to the first mission.

Anyway...see you on the board.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.