Dice rolling error

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 20, 2015 5:43 pm
There is a similar-named thread on the forum but doesn't seem to be identical to my situation so I guess I should report it.

When I type in my reply on a forum trying to post my dice roller result in the format of 4df+3 and +0+0 and hit preview, I get a fatal error that said I invoke the dice roller wrongly so I lost everything I type. It is alright when I directly paste the result.
Mar 20, 2015 5:47 pm
what is a df?
Mar 20, 2015 6:12 pm
The fact that a fatal error comes up is a problem that I'll address, but yah, you're typing '4df+3' into standard dice? Or do you mean into Fate dice? Also, what do you mean by +0+0?
Mar 21, 2015 9:10 am
I mean that I just type these characters into a regular forum thread reply: 4 d f + 3 " + 0 + 0 " (without space) and then when I click preview, a fatal error occurs.
Mar 21, 2015 2:31 pm
Ok, that makes sense. The format is one it doesn't understand, so it freaks out. However, it should just end up ignoring the bad string. I'll take a look at why it isn't.
Mar 21, 2015 2:37 pm
ExperienceLtd says:
what is a df?
Fate/Fudge dice. It' a d6 with two faces that have a '+', two faces with a '–' and two blank faces.
Mar 21, 2015 4:12 pm
i'm fairly certain keleth would have to work fudge dice into the system, like the EotE dice.

actually there IS a fate dice section in the drop down already. you don't use the one that's for normal numbered dice. A df makes no sense to the algorithm there which is why it was coming up with an error. Use the drop down and select the set of Fate dice to use and it'll roll however many you want.
Last edited March 21, 2015 5:15 pm
Mar 21, 2015 5:39 pm
Yah, but it should still be failing gracefully. I'll work on it.
Mar 22, 2015 5:52 am
ExperienceLtd says:
i'm fairly certain keleth would have to work fudge dice into the system, like the EotE dice.

actually there IS a fate dice section in the drop down already. you don't use the one that's for normal numbered dice. A df makes no sense to the algorithm there which is why it was coming up with an error. Use the drop down and select the set of Fate dice to use and it'll roll however many you want.
I didn't use the dice roller in the drop down because the GM had not enabled the option so I just typed them with my keyboard. I had no idea just typing them would cause problem
Mar 22, 2015 6:54 am
Ah, I misread the problem; I understand it better now. This is really confusing, because I can type those characters into a reply, no problem, and strings in the post message don't get parsed as rolls. If you can duplicate the problem, can you screenshot the result? I can't seem to replicate it.
Mar 25, 2015 1:01 pm
It is weird but I can't duplicate the problem now. I didn't remember to screencap then but I remember that the error message stated that it was a problem related to the dice roller.
Mar 25, 2015 3:37 pm
Posting rolls into the body of the post doesn't invoke the dice roller in any way. Did you maybe click to add a dice but not actually end up filling it out? Either way, I'll keep an eye out. I suspect there is a bug but from some other situation.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.