May 18th 3051: Aboard the Jumpship Columbus

Dec 6, 2016 12:00 pm
The ship's clock had been set to that of New Avalon's capital. It was early morning, barely after 00:00, but the ship's crew had planned it this way. Jumps weren't pleasant even for the most hardy, but those who suffered from TDS, which surely some of the passengers did, always had a rough time of hyperspace jumps. Setting the clock to New Avalon time before the jump had meant that everyone would be asleep when the jump was made, everyone but essential crew of course. All of the passengers and most of the crew would awaken in New Avalon space never even knowing the jump had been made.

Leslie, being a commissioned officer in New Avalon's fleet, would have no such luxury. Until recently she had been stationed aboard a space station orbiting Bristol. It was a dull assignment far from combat and filled with a tedious life on base. She can only imagine this inactive assignment has come from her recently inherited dependent, yet another thing to blame her for. Of course Leslie has responsibility on base, but teaching cadets the ropes wasn't what she had signed on for. Thing only changed about a month and half ago when she received orders to board the jumpship Columbus during its recharge at Bristol's nadir point and come to New Avalon. Leslie had never been to the capital before, though she did train at Armstrong Flight Academy on Galax which was the next best thing. Being called to New Avalon usually meant promotions or important assignments, but they instructed her to take her sister with her and so she could not imagine what kind of assignment she would be getting. She would find out soon enough.

While everyone else was afforded the luxury of sleep Leslie was up and in full dress uniform. Her hair was pinned tightly in a bun, her jacket and skirt perfectly pressed and wrinkle free. She took a lot of pride her appearance and has never failed a uniform inspection. She floated down the hallway of the ship using the handholds as both a guide and method of locomotion. At this time the ship's jumpsail was likely at full deploy and with everyone sleeping all lights and non-essential power consuming objects were dimmed or shutdown. The ship was able to recharge faster when less energy was used by other systems. Leslie was quite comfortable in zero-G, she spent much of her youth aboard her parents' ship and much of her adult life in a cockpit or aboard warships/space stations. She effortlessly guided herself to the ladder that led down to the grav-deck without a strand of hair out of place. It had been a while since she had any scheduled time on the grav-deck during the 5 jump journey from Bristol. It felt good to once again have the weight of gravity on her, even if the centrifugal force of the grav-deck felt somewhat unnatural and took a moment to adjust to.

The grav-deck was largely empty, save a maintenance worker or off duty crew members using the recreation area. It was strange to be walking again and it took Leslie a few clumsy steps to adjust to gravity and the small heels on her dress shoes. The emptiness of the grav-deck stole all sense of stealth from her as her shoes clanged audibly against the metal walkway and echoed about the entire grav-deck. She walked a bit of a way until reaching the cafe, it was a small eatery in the center of the grav-deck with ample seating, good food, and a massive window that looked out toward the planet below. Leslie could see that even at this time other jumpships were recharging near New Avalon and the hustle and bustle of dropships could be seen throughout the area. New Avalon was a beautiful blue world and beholding it from here was an awe inspiring sight. She reached into her skirt pocket and pulled out a small envelop. It was the orders she had receive just yesterday before the jump. "Come to the cafe at 01:00, we willing be transferring by dropship no later than 03:00." The paper had all of the official markings that indicated it was official orders but it was an odd instruction, with limited information, and no indication of whom she would be meeting. She was early as usual, and little did she know four other FedCom soldiers had received the same orders and were likely getting ready to come to this meeting at that very moment.
Dec 6, 2016 2:11 pm
I love my dress uniform. I do. I do wish they'd give us slacks for the zero-g turnovers though. I miss my flight suit. Now then, where in the blazes is the person I'm meant to be meeting here? Person? People? Why can't anyone develop a proper plan. She glanced around, looking for a table that would afford her a view of the entrance to the cafe as well as the planet below.
OOC:
Azzorak: A note on skirts in space. A lot of formal clothing (at least those made for those who travel in space frequently) is made stiffer than 21st century clothing by utilizing a flexible plastic mesh of sorts woven into the material. This is not visible but would prevent a skirt from wildly floating about in space. The skirts for a dress uniform are also knee length or longer and fairly form fitting, so even though slacks would be even better a skirt is viable as formal wear in zero-g. It also probably acceptable to wear a form of leggings underneath when in zero-g
Dec 6, 2016 3:26 pm
"Leftenant Black," a somewhat warm but simultaneously commanding voice called out from the outskirts of the seating area. Leslie was just sitting at the table she had deemed satisfactory when he arrived. In fact she realized shortly after that she heard his footsteps approaching, but had disregarded as being one of the few others on the Grav-deck.

"Early and impeccably dressed, despite the challenges of microgravity. Given your service record I expected no less. I must say its a pleasure to see another Naval officer, I grow weary of the hotshot mechjocks I have been surrounded by recently. I am Captain Kevin Bardon, allow me to welcome you personally to New Avalon, I arrived here by dropship just after the emergence signature was detected, I was aboard the jumpship over yonder," Captain Bardon gestured to the ship charging its K-F Drive nearby.
Dec 6, 2016 3:33 pm
Captain Bardon, it's a pleasure to meet you. I have to agree, the camaraderie of Naval life aboard ship is something I've grown to miss. I fully believe our cadets need the best education. I just wasn't aware that meant I had to leave the line. Leslie said as she rose from her seat to a more formal pose. I appreciate the welcome, my first trip to New Avalon. Your ship is a beauty, that's for sure. Nice lines. Her voice held the joviality due to another Naval officer.
OOC:
Totally understood about the changes to skirt technology in a zero-g world. She'd still chafe at it, given her time in (and preference for) a cockpit and a flight suit. :)
Last edited December 6, 2016 3:35 pm
Dec 6, 2016 4:07 pm
OOC:
Sounds reasonable, just putting it out there
Captain Bardon smiled at the display of protocol, "At ease, leftenant, lets make this a comfortable meeting. Rather unfortunate that your first trip to our beautiful world will be so short, but the First Prince insists this assignment be underway with utmost haste. This assignment was completely his doing and everyone assigned to it was handpicked. That brings me to the ship over there, I realize it a bit distant but it is no warship, nor is it mine. It is a jumpship owned by The Galactic Prospector's Institute, but on our dime." As he spoke he had crossed the room and sat in the chair opposite Leslie. "Hopefully the others will arrive soon, but being mechjocks they lack the discipline of more cultured warriors like ourselves. Would you like a cup of coffee or some breakfast in the meanwhile?"
Dec 6, 2016 4:11 pm
Coffee would be lovely. Black, one sugar? she said with a smile, happy to get the caffeine into her system. So long as the mechjocks are in their rigs when drop time spins up, I try to stay out of their timetables. It just gives me an ulcer otherwise. Plus, typically when they drop, I'm in my Sparrowhawk, trying to keep them alive. Leslie ran though her knuckles, giving them all a small crack, a nervous tick she had since she was a child in the ready room, waiting on her parents to get back from some mission or the other.
Dec 6, 2016 4:29 pm
Captain Bardon excuses himself from the table and walks over to the counter. He exchanges words with the weary looking barista and looks back toward Leslie with a smile. A few moments later he returns with the hot cup of coffee which he sets before her. He also sets a cup of tea in front of himself as he sits back down. "What have you been told of this assignment?" The captain asked before sipping at his tea.
Dec 6, 2016 4:41 pm
Honestly sir, next to nothing. I was told to rotate to New Avalon. Then, just before the jump, I was given orders to report here at 0100 local. I have my sister with me as a charge, and wasn't told to leave her with anyone else, so my assumption would be nothing exceedingly hot, but the mysteries of the grand machines of Admiralty and Command never cease to amaze me. she said as she blew on the steaming cup of coffee. She took a sip, sucking in slightly as the scalding liquid cascaded over her lip. She closed her eyes slightly, letting the smell take her back to her youth.
Dec 6, 2016 7:30 pm
Captain Bardon sipped at his tea and watched the woman over the top of his cup as she spoke. He set his cup down as she finished and smiled a reassuring smile. "Typical lack of information, but its probably for good reason this time. I hear this is somewhat of a covert assignment, not something the Prince would want anyone discussing until you are alone on your ship and away from New Avalon. From what I hear its a bit of a babysitting mission, should be safe enough for the little one, but this is a big opportunity for you none the less. If what I hear is true you are the only commissioned officer assigned to this. We will know a bit more once aboard and I will share more of what I know once everyone else arrives."
Dec 6, 2016 9:37 pm
Isaac looks at the clock from the desk he is sitting at. Almost time. He was lucky enough to be given a room to himself, but couldn't fall asleep. So he started to draw, a hobby his father had instilled into him when he was still his slave. "A man cannot be a killer alone Isaac. You need to create things too. Art is what separates us from the beasts!" he can remember the old man saying. Master Torney was certainly an eccentric man, and that is perhaps what led to Isaac's adoption in the first place. Nontheless Isaac sighs and stands. He has had a hard time falling asleep in a new place for as long as he could remember. It didn't matter if it was a safe, comfortable room or a damp, cold bunker. Years of constant warfare makes a man paranoid.

He packs up his drawing things into a satchel that he carries with him at all times, something he calls his "emergency bag". He learned that if things got bad quickly, you may only be able to escape with what is on you. The things he could not bare with losing, he keeps in it. Then he dons the clothes his father sent him with. They are far from practical, and Isaac did not feel comfortable in the thick jacket with the family crest on the collar. He considered not wearing the scarlet sash, but decided he might as well. He hadn't ever worn such nice clothes, but he was representing his family so he does what he has to.

Once adorned he heads to where he was told to meet: the cafe at 1 am. Embarrassingly, he has a great deal of difficulty managing the low gravity once he actually tries to move about the ship, and he becomes tardy. When he finally does approach, he is met with a woman and a man, both obvious military types. He nods to them both and sits with them.
Last edited December 6, 2016 9:37 pm
Dec 7, 2016 1:32 am
Nate had just finished his latest letter home, signing it and sealing the envelope. The whole presentation was very anachronistic, he knew, but at the same time he felt that it added a personal touch. When he got the chance to drop it off at the next ComStar station it would, as normal, be accompanied by a transfer of a third of his salary. And if this job goes half as well as promised, there’s going to be a lot more.

He glanced at the clock, noting the time. Standing up, Nate quietly left his berth, carrying all the goods he’d bought with him in a small backpack. He was dressed in a simple, functional jumpsuit; not the most flashy thing, but certainly practical for wear on board a dropship. Even then, he was less than fully comfortable as he half swam, half-stumbled through the microgravity environment. Zero-G training had been a luxury that he couldn’t afford.

Nate reached the café on time, noting the others already present. One man, older, greying and with an impeccable military posture. A woman in a trim dress uniform. Another man, dressed with an almost foppish jacket and sash, far from practical. He nodded to them no less, offering his name as he approached.
Last edited December 7, 2016 1:33 am
Dec 7, 2016 2:00 am
Leslie's eyes flicked over the Captain's shoulder as she heard footsteps on the grav deck.

Welcome, good of you to join us. Leftenant Leslie Black. she offered, as she greeted the gentleman with the sash. When the other man, in the simple jumpsuit with a backpack, made his way to them, she repeated her greeting.

I highly recommend some coffee from the cafe. Strong and fragrant.
Dec 7, 2016 4:39 am
Roman was coming from the mechbay. This was no secret due to the dark grease marks on his fingers, the smudge he'd missed on his cheek, and the dark grease stain on his white shirt. It had taken some doing to be allowed in the bay, but Roman was intent on getting to spend as much time on his Riverwolf as possible; he couldn't trust these military zombies and their technical manuals with its sole care. Not that he was competent enough to do any heavy work on it, but Roman was intent on at least making sure that they were doing it right; He knew what looked right and proper on his mech, and he'd raise some hell if something looked otherwise.

Hopefully the young petty officer wouldn't get into any trouble for letting him through. It took all of his charm to convince her to let him in and get access to his mech so close to it being transferred to another vessel. Of course, everything seemed to be in tip-top shape, so his inspection only took a couple hours. He thanked her on his way out, noticing that he was already late for this strange, vague meeting. Moving through zero-g wasn't an entirely new experience for him. He'd traveled from planet-to-planet enough to know how to traverse some corridors without crashing into a wall or looking ridiculous.

Roman arrives at the cafe not-so-fashionably late. He is wearing a jumpsuit that features the Solaris VII games logo, as well as a few of his old sponsors - Steiner-affiliated aerospace and defense industries, mostly - along with a pair of black boots that thud on the ground with every step. His jumpsuit is unzipped down to the waist, leaving his torso covered only by the shirt with the grease smudges, and the top-half of the suit is tied off around his waist. As he approaches, he removes his gloves and folds them into his back pocket. He clicks his tongue as he spots the others he's meeting with, specifically noting their fresh and clean garments. Looking out of place isn't what he had intended, but it also isn't something that bothers him. "Roman Metzger," he says, having arrived in time to hear introductions being made, "I'm not the only civilian on this detail, am I?"
OOC:
Hoping everything I've said fits so far. Also, I know Roman's conscripted, but he'd insist that he's still a civilian who's just 'lending his services voluntarily.'
Last edited December 7, 2016 5:59 pm
Dec 7, 2016 11:08 am
OOC:
Your post looks great MoMo, everything fits fine, Solaris VII is the only correction
Captain Bardon turned a little in his seat to look over his shoulder as the others approached. They all managed to show up about the same time, literally only seconds apart and while they weren't really late they failed to make the impression that Leslie did. Isaac had been the first to arrive and Bardon motioned to rise and introduce himself, but the young man had sat himself down so fast the captain never had the opportunity. As he opened his mouth to say something the others arrived and began making their introductions, he eyed them all in shock as they made their exchanges with Leslie. Finally he rose and shook each of the men's hand as he introduced himself. Despite wanting the meeting to be somewhat informal, as he had expressed to Leslie, he still expected salutes and proper protocol.

With introduction behind them Captain Bardon sat down again as the new comers did. As he adjusted his chair and turned back to his tea he shot Leslie a look that all at once said, "See what I mean about mechjocks," and "better you than me." Following this he turned a rather puzzled look toward Roman and said, "What do you mean civilian? There are many civilians on this assignment, but you are not one of them."
Dec 7, 2016 1:51 pm
Wonderful. Not only do we get mechjocks, we get a sporter. Thinks he's a pure civilian. I don't envy the person tagged to lead this particular gaggle of misfits in a lance. At least by the looks of him, this newest one will stay down in the mech bays.

I am a bit surprised, Mr. Metzger. I must confess. I would have thought that an order missive would have inspired you to at least wear clean clothing. Leslie says, with a hint of a smile over the edge of her coffee cup but a tone as cold as the void outside the windows.
Dec 7, 2016 4:57 pm
Isaac wordlessly gets up and gets himself coffee. He mixes an absurd amount of sugar and creamer in before drinking it. "What is this about?" He asks Bardon, in a cool, quiet tone.
Dec 7, 2016 6:35 pm
"You know what I mean, man. Sir." Roman replies to the Captain, very nearly forgetting to correct himself. "No matter how you try to dress me," he presses some fingers over his heart and grins mischievously, "I'm a civilian at heart, right?" Roman steps up a bit closer and takes a seat with everyone else.

He laughs at Leslie's remark, in a way that suggests he enjoys the friendly bit of pressure, and that he's comfortable with the cold tone. In response he holds up three fingers and one-by-one counts them down, "Well, Miss.. Ma'am.. for one, I've been working, which is more than a lot on this boat could say. Two, if I'm trying to make a good first impression, what's more impressive than this," Roman holds his hands out to the side as though presenting himself and, specifically, the Solaris VII logo. "And three, the orders didn't say to dress nice, so I'm not disobeying them." He waggles his brow. It was all too obvious that he'd thought about this already, even if dressing appropriately for a given task was always implicit. He turns in his seat to be facing the Captain, ready to get this going.
Dec 8, 2016 1:14 am
All things being equal, Nate was beginning to feel a little under-dressed for the occasion. Still, these were, apparently, the people who he'd be working with, and the last thing he needed to do was make things difficult straight off the bat. "Morning all," he offered to the group. "Nate Preston, one of the MechWarriors. I guess we're all here for the same thing, right?"
Dec 8, 2016 11:22 am
Having thoroughly checked to make sure the mech is secure in the bay, Nathaniel "Nathan" Stewart sinks down into the seat in the cockpit of his Centurion, feeling the tension build in his body and his heart rate quicken, his mind involuntarily plays back brief images, flashes of memory. Much of what happened on that day is still a mystery to him, unconscious for long periods and in agony for the rest of the time, he simply can't remember. All he knows is that now, simply climbing into the cockpit of his mech, always one of his favourite places to be, causes a tightness in his chest that makes it hard to breath.

After what seems like hours, but is probably only minutes, he simply can't take it anymore. He reach into his chest pocket and pulls out a single pill, palming it, he throws it into his mouth as he tilts his head back, dry swallowing the small white tablet.

After a while the tension eases from his body, a calmness descend over his mind where previously there had been panic.

As Nathan's mind clears, a thought occurs to him. He looks at his watch, Holy shit! I am late. He squeeze his way out of the cockpit, and rapidly descent the exterior of his mech with practiced ease. He rushes to the meeting his orders hold told him to report to.

Nathan rushes into the Cafe, readjusting his uniform to make sure everything is in place. Noting the fact that there is already 5 people in the cafe he heads over to the group. Scanning the group, he notes that the Captain is the ranking officers, he salutes Sergeant Nathaniel Stewart reporting as ordered sir, apologies for arriving late sir, I was addressing a......problem in the cockpit of my mech
Last edited December 8, 2016 11:48 am
Dec 9, 2016 12:32 am
Interesting. A sergeant that can't be arsed to show up on time. Now I've seen it all. I can appreciate having your gear in good working order as well as the next operator, but good gods. Ah well, I suppose I should be happy this one is at least in proper uniform for the meeting. Lord only knows I'd prefer to be in my flight suit. Now, if the good Captain would only let us know if this is everyone he's expecting for this gathering and give me my orders so I can be about it. I have to still get back to Jules and let her know that we're going somewhere else. Once again. If I didn't have her around, I could pick up any of the action runs. Inwardly, Leslie sighs, her thoughts running rampant, as they often did when she found herself sitting still.
Dec 9, 2016 5:11 am
Roman looked the sergeant up and down, very obviously sizing him up, though his eyes fell on those chevrons in his rank insignia. NCOs tended to be the ones that gave Roman the hardest time, but so far he thought Sgt. Stewart and he might see eye-to-eye on a few things. Plus, if he just came from the mechbay like he said, then maybe they had more in common than he thought; preferring to spend your time with your battlemech than with a 'back in my day' Captain, for one. "Morning, Sergeant," he'll say calmly, leaning back casually in his chair with his arms crossed.
Dec 9, 2016 10:34 am
Isaac will nod at Nate, and turn his attention to the Captain for an answer to his question.
Dec 9, 2016 2:09 pm
The captain was somewhat noticeably disapproving of Roman's nonchalant attitude and lack of respect for the armed forces. As Roman and the others ordered coffee, introduced themselves, and sat down he watched them all very intently. No expression on his face gave away what he thought of them, he merely sat quietly and calmly with a warm but unreadable look on his face. When Sergeant Stewart finally showed Captain Bardon rose to meet his salute and return protocol. After a handshake and a warm greeting he sat back in his chair. With a gesture Bardon excused the long barista from the cafe, leaving only the himself, the Leftenant, and the mechwarriors in the room. The warmth in his face faded and he adopted a very serious look and tone as he spoke,

"Though I must say I am a little disappointed by everyone's lack of punctuality, I will let it slide today. Be grateful that I was assigned to handle your transfers, I appreciate discipline," he said as he gestured to Leslie, "but I am a reasonable and understanding man and I would much rather this be a civil get together. I would like to begin by first introducing you to your lance commander, Leftenant Black. I would expect that you will all give her the respect that her rank and service record are due. Prince Davion has requested each of you from a list of candidates to form an air lance to provide security for a civilian vessel," he gestures out the large window toward the charging jumpship in the distance. "As all of you are likely aware the invaders, these clans as they call themselves, are far superior in training and technology to our own forces. The weapons and battlemechs they have are like nothing we have seen since the golden days of the Star League. With that said the Prince believes our only hope may lie with lostech of the Star League. The Galactic Prospectors' Institute is a civilian university on New Avalon, in exchange or a new jumpship and research grants they have offered to begin an expedition to find, recover, and put into service a weapon or technology that could help us win this war. We are aware it is a long shot and we are not comfortable putting such an important task in civilian hands, but we cannot spare enough soldiers or officers for this task. You have all been selected from you branches of service for one reason or another to protect this expedition from any harm that may befall it, and perhaps more importantly to keep the civilian in line and ensure they use the resources we granted them for our end goal. Any questions so far?"
Dec 9, 2016 7:53 pm
Dammit, late again, I need to get this under control before I ruin my reputation. Once again I apologise Captain, it won't happen again". He moves to take a seat nodding to each person in turn, returning Roman's greeting and noting the Leftenant and how well presented she is, "Maam"
OOC:
(of whatever form of address would be appropriate)
, not a great start with a new CO.

Keeping civilians out of trouble can often be a tall order sir, particularly scientists, what is the chain of command going to be?
Dec 9, 2016 9:58 pm
At the mention of discipline, Nate subconsciously straightened up immediately, almost unknowingly reprimanding himself. However, he continued listening to what the captain was saying, intrigued by his words. Lostech. The whole idea was tantalising, and had driven treasure hunters, adventurers and so many others since the fall of the Star League. Weather it was from duty to one's government, a desire to strike it rich or sheer desperation, the idea of finding a cache of near-magical Star League tech had driven innumerable men to great lengths. Allmost immediately, Nate began to wonder about the value of anything they found, and if so, what that could do for his family...

He snapped himself back to the present. "Do we have a specific... direction in mind?" He asked. "Like a specific target world or area? Just so we can get a better idea of what we might be getting ourselves into and protecting our civilian assets from, sir"
Dec 10, 2016 1:58 am
Good questions. At least that's something. Lucky the Captain is here, lest they get a proper dressing down. Leslie thought as she assessed her new lance over her coffee. Opting to keep her tongue while the Captain finished addressing their immediate concerns.

These are all good questions, I have others, but I'd like to hear these answers before piling more on him.
Dec 10, 2016 4:29 am
As the captain reprimands them, Isaac slides low in his chair enjoying his coffee. He holds Bardon no ill will, but he does not exactly care what a dressed-up officer has to say about him. "I'm sure he is used to everyone listening to him, and everything going his way. I wonder how he'd do out in a battlefield with no mech or weapons? Hoping the explosions don't hit your trench." Isaac shakes the thoughts from his mind. "I don't know this guy. Besides, I am representing the family." Half-way though the captain's explanation, he sits up straight, mimicking the stance of the more military-looking of those around him.

Isaac takes the information told to him and picks it apart in his brain. "What do they want with a guerilla fighter?" he thinks to himself. "Protecting civilians on a science treasure hunt?" He shakes his head, "That doesn't sound like me. I hope they know what they are doing sending me with them." As the others air their questions he sits and listens.
Dec 10, 2016 7:19 am
Roman remains still in his seat, arms crossed, more observing the expressions and reactions of his teammates than the Captain as he speaks. He scratches at the corner of his eye, looking more tired - or perhaps disinterested - than attentive. He does not pose any questions, nor make a comment, merely absorbing the information for now.
Dec 10, 2016 8:52 pm
Nathan quickly glance over at the coffee machine Dammit, I was in such a rush I forgot to grab myself a coffee. I could really use a coffee right now
Dec 11, 2016 3:17 pm
OOC:
Ma'am would be the proper address, or Leftenant
The captain sat patiently as the men around the table fired off questions at him. He has a subtle smile on his face that seemed to say, "That is more like it, now you are taking your job seriously." As the last of the questions came in and the group started to settle down the captain readjusted himself in his chair and looked over to Nathan. "Go get a coffee, I would rather you awake and alert than too respectful to get up and get one." The captains ability to read Nathan's subtle glance highlighted just how perceptive the man was.

"To the questions, Sergeant Stewart you will have direct authority over the ground team anytime you are in action. As expected Leftenant Black will be in command of this operation as a whole. It is a rare thing for a Leftenant to be in command of a jumpship but out of all of the candidates the Prince thought your penchant for leadership and your eye for protocol meant you were best suited for this. It is very important to remember that this is a civilian operation even if it is funded by House Steiner-Davion. That means the Institute's board of directors will be making most of the decisions, they already spent most of the funding on the initial equipment they believed are needed for the operation. From this point forward Leftenant Black will be on the board of directors, as director of security, that gives us an in. At any point if this operation gets out of hand or away from task it is the security team's job to commandeer the ship and turn this into a strictly military operation. We want to keep peace with the Institute so this should be a last resort. As to where you will be going, I cannot say, that will be one of the first decisions made by the board, from what I heard they are interested in an old world on Arcadia. Arcadia as you all know is a long dead world, but it is only a jump away. I also understand your concerns that keeping civilians safe is a difficult task, but you should not be operating near the front line and are in a civilian ship. We are not too concerned about outside forces, but are more worried about overseeing the security on the ship itself and ensuring that the institute is operating in our best interest and not using our funding for their own purposes. That said I recommend expanding the security team, we cannot spare anymore soldiers, but here is a list of mercenaries we have had successful dealings with in the past, they are all based on New Avalon and so can be aboard your ship before the jump." As he described the list he handed a noteputer, a small tablet like device, over to Leslie.

"This noteputer is your personal assistant, everything you need to command this ship is on here. Lists of mercenary groups we work with, in stock mechs, fighters, and parts available before you depart and software to order anything you may need once on your way. It also has a full crew roster, inventory, and other information you will find useful, peruse it when you have the chance. The institute considers itself a non-violent organization and they are none to happy about your presence on the ship, they probably will like mercenaries even less, but I highly advise expanding your security team, at least a squad of marines for on ship security."
Dec 11, 2016 10:03 pm
Wow, nice read, this guy is switched on, Nathan stands and quickly moves to make himself a coffee, black and sugarless, adding an extra shot for good measure. He blows on the coffee to cool it enough to take a small sip, the expression on his face indicating not only his enjoyment of the beverage, but the necessity of it.

A Leftenant in charge of a jumpship, she must be good. I wonder....Mack mentioned they had a hotshot new officer coming up through the ranks, the 2nd coming of Kerensky the way he tells it. I wonder if this could be her? She certainly seems to have a presence

Captain, if you don't mind me asking, what is the likelihood of trouble with the civilians. Scientist often aren't big fans of the military. Are there any agitators in particular we should watch out for?
Last edited December 11, 2016 10:08 pm
Dec 11, 2016 10:48 pm
Thank you, sir. Leslie replies simply as the Captain hands over the noteputer. Tapping it on, she begins to familiarize herself with the contents therein.

Hiring mercs, not my preferred method of outfitting a lance, but I agree that we'll want the extra support. If we need to commandeer the vessel, I'm going to need to have some trustworthy hands at a variety of stations on the ship. I'll need the sergeant to act as my go-between. I'll also want to confab about our staffing issues. At least with the sergeant, although engaging the other mechjocks would be good. Even the civvie knows what it takes to have a functional lance. I wonder what our operating budget is for bringing onboard extra personnel?

In addition to that Captain, because it is a critical concern, will my noteputer be given access to our operating budget or do you have that information for me to consider. I fully agree about bringing some more personnel on board, but cost is always a consideration. She says, politely.
Dec 11, 2016 11:41 pm
Nate continued to listen to the others, considering the mission he had signed up for and how it was managing to become more and more unusual with each passing moment. Still, if the money is good... As odd as this all was getting, he still couldn't think of just how lucractive Lostech hunting could be. It wasn't so much a matter of personal greed, however, more of what he could do for his family with his pay from such a job.

"I understand that Arcadia was nuked by the Dracs during the first succession war," He spoke up. "So what does that mean for us and our crew? Are we going to be resticted to our 'Mechs and the civvies in rovers and hazmat suits?" That was allways a concern with Lostech prosecting. The Succession Wars had killed a lot of worlds, and many of them were still dangerous places as a result of the wepaons used against them.
Dec 12, 2016 12:53 am
At the mention of the Dracs, Leslie leans forward in her seat, her eyes suddenly full of cold fury. She holds her tongue, for the moment. Damned Dracs. Just like them to do something like this. If we see any, I swear to the gods that stride the cosmos, I will order then lance to burn them where they stand, protocol be damned.
Dec 12, 2016 9:42 am
Roman visibly scowls at the mention of hazmat suits, "That'd be one way to ruin a decent job." Other than the brief chiming in, he didn't say or respond to much. There wasn't much that a Private could say to really contribute a whole lot, and despite Roman's rank, he was uninterested in the logistics of it all. Give me my Riverwolf and some targets and I'll give you entertainment, he thought, But give me a noteputer, a droning Captain, and numbers to work with and I'll show you how fast I can fall asleep. The thoughts played pretty plainly across his face as he eyelids drooped a bit, threatening to close at the next mention of funds.
Dec 13, 2016 3:15 pm
Isaac continues to sit up straight. He stays quiet, getting a read of each person at the table and taking in their appearance, posture, and details. The questions being asked did not concern him on their own, but he wanted to be sure to take in all the information he can.
Dec 13, 2016 10:19 pm
"Yeah," Nate nodded. "A place like that would have more then its fair share of hazards, and radiation is but one of them. Now I don't know what happened on Arcadia back in twenty-seven-nintey-whenever it was, but all I know is that it ended in fire of the nuclear variety." He took a sip from his drink. "I grew up in the Sarna March around the area that was once Hegemony worlds. Even the nicest of them have giant craters that you still don't want to go near"
Dec 20, 2016 11:00 am
OOC:
Sorry its been a while now. I was hoping to make this post yesterday but I didn't get a chance.
Captain Bardon looked about the table and listened to the new litany of questions and comments. He seemed pleased by the engagement.

Looking at Leslie he said, "Your noteputer should have everything you need for this operation, even though the operating budget will mostly be handled by the board you are authorized to make any expenditures you feel necessary for the security of the expedition. Hiring and paying the mercs will be fairly inexpensive given your budget but buying additional mechs and fighters will cost a fair bit; however it never hurts to have more help in the field, or even alternative vehicles for yourselves."

"Nate, we are aware of Arcadia's past of course and recognize that this may be a dangerous place to begin our journey; however, since it has been 300 years we are hoping that the radiation levels have subsided enough for a short visit. Upon arrival in the system someone, likely you all, will have to drop ahead of the science teams to take readings, your mech's life support should keep you safe even if the radiation levels are still high. As to what other hazards you may encounter, I couldn't even speculate."

"And finally Sergeant Stewart, we are not aware of any particular people who may wish for this operation to fail; however, long journeys in tight quarters in space, combined with the stresses and dangers you may encounter have the risk of sending the undisciplined over the edge. Also while many of these men and women are educated academics they have plenty of lower class help on board as well and there is no way to accurately screen everyone. Our biggest concern is that the institute may decide to do its own thing with the Prince's money and obviously we have a specific and very important goal here."
Dec 21, 2016 2:04 pm
Quite right, Captain. What is our cast off time? With the amount of preparations to be made, and staffing holes to fill, I'd much prefer to have a brief meeting with the others here as my senior lance members. Leslie looks around the table at the others. I have experience aboard ship, and I'm not too shabby in the seat of an aerofighter. However, I'm not a mechjock. I'll be looking to you, especially you Sergeant Stewart, to help me assess the needs of our lance from a combat capability and "not pissing off the scientists too horribly" aspect. As you'll be serving with, and issuing orders to, these other jocks, you should have a say in their selection. As she looks back to the captain, she raises an eyebrow slightly. Will we have any time to make additional personal purchases? If this is to be a primarily civilian cruise, I'll need to get some non-uniform clothes to help ease the minds of the board on occasion.
OOC:
Welcome back! Also, did you have that list of goods and prices for personal outfitting?
Jan 13, 2017 8:21 pm
Roman does his best to listen in, but his eyes show that he's uninterested in the details meant for Leftenant Black.
Jan 18, 2017 5:33 pm
OOC:
I know it has been a while but I kept getting slammed with corporate visits, maintenance issues, and large orders. Finally I was able to post and should be back in action now. I see we still have two active and I am hoping the others are as well.
Captain Bardon listens intently to Leslie as she speaks. His eyes look back and forth to the others who seem rather content to just listen at this point. The captain finishes off his tea as Leslie finishes her thought.

"Leftenant, we are looking to depart by dropship from collar A in about," he pauses as he looks at his watch, "2 hours. That should give you adequate time to get acquainted with your fellows and plan for your mission. Once transferred to your dropship you have a few days of K-F drive charging to wait, but we would prefer you stay aboard your new charge. This should provide you ample time to hire new crew, order equipment, meet with the directors of the institute and make any adjustments you deem fit. I will upload a number of files and tools to your noteputer to facilitate the hiring of mercenaries and the acquisition of equipment. Everything can be delivered to your jumpship prior to jump. Do you require anything further of me or would you like some privacy?"
Jan 18, 2017 5:47 pm
I have all the information I need at this point. Once your filedump is complete, I'll see if I have any additional questions. For the time being, we should take the few hours to collect our stuff and relocate. Leslie looks around the table at the collected mechjocks. Gentleman, let's meet outside the bridge aboard our new home in - she looks down to her timepiece four hours. That should give us ample time to get our gear, get situated, get a feel for the ship, and make some good decisions about what else we need.
Jan 19, 2017 6:44 pm
Isaac nods, but says nothing. Instead he stands up abruptly and heads back to his meager living quarters. Complaining to himself once more about space and its lack of gravity. He does not give a lot more thought to this mission he is being sent on.
Jan 20, 2017 6:33 am
"Sounds like a plan," Roman says, rising to his feet. He waits, however, to make sure no one else raises any solid points before departing.
Jan 20, 2017 10:58 pm
The captain seemed satisfied for the moment. He rose from his seat and saluted to his subordinates. "If you feel adequately equipped to take on this operation then I will take my leave. I will upload the data to you shortly. Place any orders you would like and be sure to get to know each other before departure. I will meet you at the docking collar no later than 0300." He turned and walked toward the exit to the grav deck.
Jan 25, 2017 2:28 pm
Leslie takes to her feet as Captain Bardon rose. As he departed she looked at her new mechjock allies and gave a slight nod of her head.

Let's be about it people. See you on the transit ship in a few hours. We'll have plenty of time aboard to get to know one another. She said shortly before turning and setting off across the grav deck, her sturdy heels clicking the sound of her progress.

Ten minutes later she stood outside the hatch to her cabin. Steeling her breath, she pressed it open and crossed in.

Jules! Is your stuff all packed hun? We've got transit to a new ship in less than 2 hours! She called out as she crossed to her bunk-space, pulling out her twin duffel bags, containing all of her personal gear.
Jan 27, 2017 6:54 am
Roman will leave from the meeting place, heading to his quarters to make sure that all of his things are packed.
Feb 2, 2017 3:52 pm
Just shy of two hours later, Leslie stood near the lock, her little sister Jules standing by her side holding her hand. One duffel on her back, the other by her feet.

Here we go Jules. The next great adventure. I hear this ship is a bunch of scientists! You may be able to learn quite a bit if you're interested? she says, shifting her weight very slightly from foot to foot waiting for the others to arrive.
Feb 2, 2017 4:03 pm
OOC:
I have a post for Juliet's response to Leslie that I will be retroing in my post here. Been a little busy again lately, curse real life.
Feb 2, 2017 4:05 pm
OOC:
Another placeholder, will be posted shortly

You do not have permission to post in this thread.