D&D 5e Vignettes

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Len

Jan 3, 2017 11:40 pm
Hello everyone,

I'm gauging interest in running a series of short one-shot campaigns using the D&D 5e ruleset. I've never DMed a PBP game but I have a lot of face-to-face experience DMing this system and I want to explore this medium from the DM's side (I've been a player since June 2016 under the username WoundedKnight).

Why a short game? By running one-shots, I get the chance to try a variety of things as I hone my craft. I also get a chance to interact with more people here at Gamer's Plane, which means I get a wider variety of feedback, get more exposure to new ideas, and make more friends. Also, it seems like PBP games fall apart as schedules change and life happens - short games are less likely to be affected by this.

I'd like to run this Vignette first:

An old Dwarven stronghold is at a crossroads: do they defy tradition and delve the forbidden depths, or risk decline as they exhaust their last veins of mithril? The players play as a team of respected Dwarves chosen by the king to seek out the answer from sages who live atop the mountain. The journey will be as perilous as dealing with the factions determined to see their side win.

As for my DMing style, I play the rules as written and don't fudge the dice ever. I hold my game to a high standard of quality and encourage feedback both positive but especially negative from players. I hold both story (characters, setting, plot) and game (tactics, mechanics, and rules) in equal esteem. I will be assertive with slow posters and have some ideas to speed up D&D in the PBP medium. I make no attempt to disguise the fact that I am new to DMing in PBP and will probably make mistakes. But, at the end of the day I love building a sandbox and watching my players have a blast in it, and I believe that if we're having fun we're doing it right.

I will commit to a posting frequency of 2 posts per day for the first Vignette.

So, are there people who would want to play D&D 5th Edition Vignettes, especially this first one?

https://modernmaleficarum.files.wordpress.com/2015/08/1382893274618.jpg
Jan 4, 2017 12:35 am
Being in a similar boat always having ideas for new campaigns. I have actually started quite a few games just to get the ideas out hopefully refining them for my IRL player (sounds kinda mean but it's not) :) anyways Sounds fun! You can count me in.
Jan 4, 2017 1:33 am
I'd love to play at least the first one. Have you started a game page yet?
Jan 4, 2017 2:25 am
Interested.
Jan 4, 2017 3:46 am
Sounds neat, I'm in.

Len

Jan 4, 2017 6:10 am
Thanks for your interest everyone. Looks like it's safe to go ahead and make the game page. Snowycoldfood, JoshuaMabry, Jabes.plays.RPG, and CosmicKeyring: I'll send you all invites by Friday Jan 6th when I am set up and ready to go. Looking forward to playing with the four of you :)
Jan 4, 2017 6:49 am
Cool! Looking forward to it! For character creation are we sticking to PHB or are EE, SCAG, and UA acceptable? Oh, and are we starting at 1st level?

Thanks!
Last edited January 4, 2017 7:04 am

Len

Jan 5, 2017 5:05 am
Jabes, I've added you to the game. Check out the Character Creation Guidelines thread in the game forum for all the details, but the short answer is that classes and spells from the PHB, EE, and SCAG are okay, but not from UA. Characters will be level 4. Check the thread for the rest of the details.
Last edited January 5, 2017 5:06 am
Jan 7, 2017 7:37 pm
Woof! This sounds awesome! I love dwarves and I really dig the tone in your description. Do you still have any room? I'm fairly new to 5e and would love to explore it more with you.
Jan 7, 2017 8:25 pm
Looks like I missed out on this one. Please invite me to the next. 🙂

You do not have permission to post in this thread.