Interest in a Low Fantasy/Low Magic D&D.5 setting?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

DMJInactive for 3 months

Feb 1, 2017 9:53 pm
Gamers,

I was considering the idea of launching a D&D 5e game, but with some divergence away from the basic default imagery suggested in the PHB/DMG, all adjustments towards building a Low Fantasy / Low Magic story line. I guess I'm talking classic Sword and Sorcery type scenery.

I know there are other systems out there that are surely better "pre-set" to Low Fantasy campaigns, but it seems like D&D 5e is what the crowd wants to play, and I admittedly have no current experience playing other games, and likely no time to learn.

Here are a few ideas about a possible setting:

Humans are the default race. Monsters and fantastic creatures exist but are rare.

Magic is very rare, most often inherently dangerous and evil, and generally mistrusted.

Combat is gritty and dangerous. No guarantee on "balanced" encounters (flight might be the best strategy at times)

Minimal coverage of Alignment and the Good vs. Evil backdrop. Characters likely a bit more selfish than the norm, mostly seeking fame/wealth/glory in a rough and austere world.

Cities are decadent. Wilderness is savage. The world is generally dangerous almost everywhere.

Technology limits. Steel is around, but not every community has a great version of it. No ocean galleons crossing vast open seas. No great libraries around every corner. Not everyone knows how to read, and it doesn't really matter. No full plate mail armor. No crossbows. Etc.

PG13 or higher tolerance on talking (writing) through scenes.

Would seek to stick with D&D 5th to avoid going Custom, BUT some real adjustments on the general feel of the default game setting:
* Classes and Class Archetype restrictions. No Wizard, Warlock, or Sorcerer PCs. A hard limit on number of other spell casters in the party.
* Race restrictions (Human with maybe a couple of allowances for dwarf and halfling)
* Maybe limited adjustments on "injury, death, dying rules", back towards earlier editions of D&D/Pathfinder.

I know this wouldn't be something for everyone, but is there any interest in such an idea?
Feb 1, 2017 10:07 pm
I love gritty games, I'm up for it!
Feb 2, 2017 1:43 am
I am so down for this. Would you allow variant humans? Limit available feats, but I love the versatility and flavor feats add rather than focusing on just ability scores.

DMJInactive for 3 months

Feb 2, 2017 10:13 am
Im_That_0n3_Guy says:
....Would you allow variant humans? .... I love the versatility and flavor feats add rather than focusing on just ability scores.
Players could definitely take the option of the Variant Human traits detailed in the PHB.

I think that is: one Feat, one extra skill, and pick two ability scores for a +1. (?)

OR the normal Human trait option of +1 on all ability scores.

I too think Feats are great. Along with any Feat selected, I would probably be leaning towards throwing each PC a DM-chosen Bonus storyline type Feat at the beginning of the game, hoping to fit the setting, maybe their described background, and just to insert some variety in the game from the start.
Feb 2, 2017 4:26 pm
This is so far up my alley it hurts, but alas I am too swamped and have had to downsize games lately. So I'll have to let it pass me. I hope it goes well for you guys.

DMJInactive for 3 months

Feb 7, 2017 5:50 pm
Thanks, all. Seems like there is some interest. I think I will give it a shot and start a game later this month then.
Predicting a launch date sometime during the weekend of 17 Feb 2017.
Hope you can make it, and we can get a gritty sword and sandals story rolling.
Feb 8, 2017 12:48 am
Sounds like my type of D&D! When you get it rolling, please let me know.
Feb 8, 2017 1:05 am
Looks like there are a lot of people interested. I will gladly give up my spot for someone who's a bit newer/in fewer games
Feb 10, 2017 4:53 pm
I'm a little late to the conversation, but I'd like to give it a go also !!
Feb 20, 2017 7:58 pm
For those of you who are still interested in this game, announced on Feb 1st, I know DMJ is still working on it, making sure it's high quality stuff. It's a completely custom built game world, *almost* devoid of magic for the player characters, but really seems to have a serious edge on the dark side of rated 'R' (tasteful, not gratuitous) fantasy gaming.

I've been keeping in touch with him, and I've got to say, I'm really looking forward to it based on some of what I've heard from him via PM:

"(the player characters don't have any) real insight or command over the strangeness (of magic and the world) around them, but are just rough, grimy, shrewd badasses with steel and hardware, who have the balls to go in, wreck shop, and take the prize by force and/or guile..."

"(in contrast to your typical D&D game, with high magic,) strength, wits, guts, and steel are the constants that (the player characters) have to use to hammer down on every problem (in this dark fantasy setting)."

I'm getting the impression that this game is going to take place in a *seriously* dark, tense, brutal, grim, and *mysterious* world, with shadowy corners everywhere.

Again, I know it's been a few weeks since DMJ first brought this game up, but I'm really looking forward to it, and wanted to make sure that those of you who are still interested keep this one on your radar.

DMJInactive for 3 months

Mar 21, 2017 5:53 pm
GP Gamers,

It has been a while I know, but I have this game up and running now.

The game is called "Dark Thrones: Remnants of the Ancients." The base Game Page is linked here.

There is a longer description there, but for convenience the intro paragraph reads as follows:
"There are dark elements, both known and hidden, throughout the world. Lost cultures from the distant past dealt in dark secrets. Sorcerers and witches of old called upon the names of demons, gleaned power from horrifying monsters, and made pacts with the races that dwelt on the earth before man. Vast treasure was amassed by the war champions, the wizards, and the fiends of old. The remnants and artifacts of those lost ages are still discovered from time to time, by both the foolish and the bold, whether hidden in the dark corners of an ancient ruin, or perhaps even carried forth in secret by cults and shadowy factions who claim to have some fragment of ancient power."

Following the idea posted here in this Games Tavern thread last month, this is a low-magic, human only, sword-and-sorcery type setting, with most civilizations in the Bronze Age. It is meant to be a dark and gritty game, a bit of an alternative to the High Fantasy/Heroic Fantasy default settings of D&D. There are considerable adjustments to Character Class options, and to the nature and role of magic in the game.

This will be a Private, Invite-only game eventually, but I am making the Forums and Threads Public for a time to allow for those who are interested to get more detail and maybe a preview of what the game will be like. I invite you to visit and look around to see if you would like to get involved as a Player in the game. Linked here: Dark Thrones Info Forums.

I do not have any hard dates set, but I generally hope to assemble a team of 4 players by sometime next week (roughly by 31 March, but that is flexible).

As mentioned elsewhere, contact me by PM if you want to get involved in Dark Thrones as a player or if you have any questions.

I will leave the further detail to be accessed by the links mentioned instead of writing more and more here, but please check out the Game Page and the Game Forums if you are interested.

Thanks for considering the idea of this alternative D&D Setting. I look forward to getting a great team together.
Last edited March 21, 2017 5:54 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.