Creating a map for my game does not work

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
May 4, 2015 10:20 am
Hmm... Keleth, what would you say if I would volunteer to redo the map page...
I'd provide HTML + JS and you'd have to add a backend for save/load operations. I could implement an API on AJAX/REST so you can change the endpoints easily. This could be done as a relatively independent component that is easy for you to include.
You might have to entrust your html/css template for the maps page to me.
But I could provide my real credentials to you in return.

I found a very good resource.

Kiwi.js, a JS jibrary specially for games.

Especially this tutorial.

I know Tiled, it is an easy to use free tile map editor. By supporting that you could completely save yourself the trouble of writing a sophisticated editor yourself. You could limit the functionality to manipulating the icons. Also people could use their own tile sets.

So what do you say?

Edit:
Found a public domain tileset I can use... No legal trouble with that.

More libraries to consider:
* GameQuery with plug'n'play tile map editor
Last edited May 4, 2015 11:33 am
May 4, 2015 12:15 pm
Lemme start by saying Tiled looks really awesome.

So, my first thought is, no way I could ask/let this guy code stuff for me for free, and I can't afford to hire anyone right now, but you are volunteering. Second, I wanna say no just because I have trouble letting go of control over my code. And then finally I think, hey, that would save me at least 10 hours, which is enough to finish my versioning code.

I can't really offer you anything back except once I finish the XP system, to give you bonus XP + a title/badge.

Why don't you shoot me an email at contact@gamersplane.com and we can discuss. API based makes sense, which is what I was going to convert it to anyway. Templating isn't a huge deal as everything gets head and footer included of course, and I can provide you the stylesheets (written in LESS).
May 4, 2015 1:51 pm
*Ding* "You've got Mail!"
May 5, 2015 7:38 am
My prototype map is now scrollable...

http://i.imgur.com/Ni7zdC3.png

ATM sadly only works in Firefox. Chromium doesn't allow loading files from HD via AJAX...
Last edited May 5, 2015 7:39 am
May 5, 2015 10:27 am
I'll try a little experiment...
I opened up the issue tracker and wiki on the map project. Everybody can now read the wiki and add issues.
At this point please only add enhancement and proposal issues.

https://bitbucket.org/chocokiko/gamersplane-map-tool
Last edited May 5, 2015 1:35 pm
May 5, 2015 1:35 pm
I have put up a first prototype to play with...
Please tell me what you think.

http://chocokiko.bitbucket.org/
Last edited May 5, 2015 1:35 pm
May 5, 2015 7:37 pm
Just added two more layers to the map:
* Fog of War to cover up areas the players have not visited yet
* Entity layer, where tokens can be placed. In the Tiled editer you can define the areas where characters can walk here. So placement of tokend on walls can be prevented.

The feature is buggy and incomplete now. I'll keep you posted when I'll update the prototype.
May 5, 2015 8:14 pm
In about two days, you've gotten further than I did in a month. Mind you, I wrote my own code, but its smarter to use an existing library anyway :p
May 6, 2015 4:42 am
Yeah... One of the first things I learned... "Don't reinvent the wheel" :-)
May 6, 2015 12:38 pm
"BUT I CAN MAKE A BETTER WHEEL!"

Plus, most of GP is custom made :p
May 6, 2015 1:20 pm
Keleth: Please give me the database tables you store all relevant information in. I'll need the fields and maybe some comments on what your intentions where.

The data important to me would be:
* the map itself
* user information (I probably won't need much of that but to be sure)
* Characters & Character sheets
May 6, 2015 2:34 pm
Right now, its stored in the MySQL, but I was thinking of converting that over to Mongo, so the fields would just be whatever data we felt was relevant to store.

For user information, I imagine we'd just need the userID and username.

For characters/char sheets, I intended on having a link between character tokens and sheets, but don't have a system in place to handle that yet. Right now its a case of label the tokens whatever you want.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.