Worldbuilding: Getting Started

May 11, 2015 5:35 pm
This can be a series of topics, so lets try to stick to some scopes!

Worldbuilding: its something anyone who GMs does, as well as something players do, though at a lower extent. Players build characters, and envision the world those characters reside in. Often we'll make up histories, localities, communities, and how our character relates to these.

GMs take this to a whole different level. As a GM, we have to build the same histories, localities, and communities, plus the politics between them, how everything interacts, and so much more.

As a player or GM, how do you approach world building? Where do you go for inspiration? As a player, do you build your character then slot him into a world, or do you build a world and then figure out what character makes sense? As a GM, how do you approach making a new world? Do you keep notes, and if so, how do you organize?
May 11, 2015 6:01 pm
For a non-modern, non-historical Earth game, I tend to start very large and vague, and then immediately narrow to the very small, immediate game-play need. That is, I'll decide on the BIG PICTURE (i.e., that it is, say, a ring-shaped world under imminent threat of invasion by Titans), and then build a town/environ that the PCs will start in. I'll quickly decide that I need to know the political situation around the town (i.e., is it a part of a kingdom, or an anarcho-syndicalist commune where each member takes it in turns to act as a sort of executive officer for the week).

Once the PCs have been made, then I'll run them through an intro adventure to try and flesh out where we all want the game to go, story wise. Once I have that in mind, then I start filling in the details on major plots and political intrigues if necessary. This process is entirely a response to character creation, and I aim to build a situation wherein each of the players can find a role.
May 12, 2015 1:42 am
I'm actually working on creating my very first campaign. First thing I did was to draw a map (I love maps). Not sure why I decided to start there, but I've been kind of lifting ideas on where PCs can go, what kinds of things live in certain areas, what areas might be contested between kingdoms/countries, and other boring stuff.

My generic map...
May 12, 2015 2:49 pm
When world-building, I like to outsource as much as I can. After the group decides on what type of game they want to play, I ask each of them a pointed, world-building question. That aspect of the world now belongs to them. After each player has answered their question, I let each player ask one clarifying question of another player.

You can see this at work on my Anime Reboot Accelerated game.
May 12, 2015 6:38 pm
Szemely, I love maps, too. I've gotten a lot of mileage out of this: http://hollylisle.com/maps-workshop-developing-the-fictional-world-through-mapping/ It's a really neat story building tool, using the map drafting process itself to generate ideas.
May 12, 2015 9:29 pm
Excellent link there, Qralloq, thanks a bunch!
May 12, 2015 9:50 pm
http://el-k-magnifico.tumblr.com/private/image/118810525963/tumblr_no9b95q25z1tkkbaz

That's a map I made for a D&D game I've been running with my friends for almost three years now. I have a lot of fun with cartography when making my worlds, It makes me think about how these nations interact based on where they are in relation to everyone else.
May 12, 2015 10:02 pm
Kenny, that just posted as a graphic of the URL.
May 12, 2015 10:47 pm
Weird, I guess tumblr doesn't support linking images like that. I'll add it to my to do.
May 16, 2015 2:34 pm
How crazy do you guys go when it comes to Map Building then? I found this on Rule of the Dice the other day and it's this crazy Artist who has constructed a massive cartography building PSD file along with a series of YouTube videos for how to use it. Absolutely nuts and awesome as to the quality and his level of dedication: http://www.ruleofthedice.com/2015/03/steal-this-new-map.html
Last edited May 16, 2015 2:34 pm
Sep 6, 2015 3:17 pm
This is a big topic!

As for maps, I do all my maps by hand. If I have maps in the campaign, I tend to start at a large scale (thousands of kilometers, though I don't do scale measurements in general) to map the starting nation and its neighbors. Then I'll do a second map at a much smaller scale, maybe 100 k across, to show details of the region of the campaign's start. Then, as the campaign continues, I'll add maps to other areas as necessary.

But I don't have one set way of doing world-building. For fantasy campaigns, I have sometimes started from a map, and that's fun. But I've also done sessions with the players where we make up details of the world as we're doing character generation. Sometimes a map isn't even necessary, even in a fantasy campaign (obviously it wouldn't be necessary or even plausible in many SF campaigns). But it really varies; sometimes I have an idea and I improv most of the campaign from there, sometimes I do incredible levels of detail before we ever begin play.

Sometimes I start with illustrations of monsters and characters, who then become recurring NPCs to hang stories on, and the ideas of the campaign develop from there.

Sometimes I'll have an idea for a particular encounter or character interaction that I think would be particularly fun. Then I backtrack from there, considering: how could I get the characters there, and what sort of world would I need to build to set it in so that it would work? I built one fantasy campaign about the concept that the characters were in magical stasis for thousands of years, and then are awakened in a world that they don't know at all. Then I had to consider: why were they put in stasis? How were they put into stasis? What is the nature of the world in which they were put into stasis? So I did a bunch of world building for that past world, to help characters with their back stories. Then I worked on history: what happened to all those nations that I designed in the intervening time? What are the dynamics between the nations? What's happening in the world that causes them to come out of stasis when they do? What are the details of the area in which they find themselves when they come out of stasis?

Sometimes I have an idea for a type of game (disaster survival), and I'll just build from there. For example, I recently designed a Dread game. I was struck that Dread should work equally well for any kind of high-tension story, not just horror. So I knew the system and that it WASN'T horror; that was my starting point. I thought about "Blake's 7," and how in the early episodes there was a recurring theme of limited time, high risk, as people attempted to escape captivity in space. So I thought of a space station. Then I started building the setting, and to do that, I needed to set it in a time period (near future, mildly cyberpunk, real world, early stages of interplanetary exploration). I came up with a lot of details about the construction of the space station, and the world in which something like that could be built. Then I wondered "what is the conflict or tension?" (Dread inherently needs a threat to the characters to work) I decided that the space station is failing, which will provoke the characters to action: they must escape. Then I have to come up with reasons WHY the space station is failing. What's the reason for it? Once I had the reason, I could plan different events that could happen to the players throughout the session: set pieces that would add tension and/or prompt the players into action, where they might have to pull a brick.

Sometimes, after the initial premise, I work on developing the world through creative writing. We'd been playing in a heroic space opera game that'd been going for more than 10 years, and it was coming to be my turn to take over as GM. My initial premise was to turn what they knew of the setting upside-down: a million years in the future, when the characters they'd been playing in the current game had done something so extreme that legend still persisted of their deeds...but as a cautionary tale, rather than as an example to emulate. To help with this, I wrote various articles that the characters could find in searching the net, which illustrated the time difference and attitude change. I did a scholarly analysis of the history of one of the worlds the players knew well, detailing the social upheaval and eventual destruction of the planet. I did propaganda pieces for the current galactic empire (which was a nascent group in the current game). I did nursery rhymes that had developed around skewed, distorted impressions of the boogeymen that the current game's PCs were. In the process of writing these, I was also developing my picture of this future universe and its dynamics. Then, having developed this future empire (and its attitudes about the past), I designed the conflicts/tensions that would be in play as the game began: the things that would motivate any NPCs the characters would encounter. Then I designed ideas and options for the PCs and then we were ready to begin.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.