Favorite video game series?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 16, 2015 6:13 am
Discuss your favorite series of video game!

My personal favorite is probably Megaman Battle Network. I love Megaman in general, but the Battle Network series really launched me off the edge of fandom. I love the idea, the plots, and the battle system in those games! I probably spent hundred of hours (if not thousands!) playing them on handholds, and even more emulating them when my games broke.
May 16, 2015 5:18 pm
The .//Hack Games are definitely my favorite. The battle system alone is something that more games should pull ideas from IMO. In general it's just a really fun series with some complex plots and many different ways to build your characters.
May 17, 2015 6:35 pm
I loved those games! I like JRPGs in general, but that series had an awesome anime/manga background that gave it that extra flavor.
May 18, 2015 12:09 pm
If it's by hours played, Skyrim takes the cake (and if you include the whole Elder Scrolls series I doubt I'll have enough time in the future to devote to one series as much as I have that one).

Monster Hunter is my current top game (series). I picked up MH4U when it released and I've got well over 200 hours into it (within 3 months). The game is really fun, and I especially like how each weapon is a distinct play style, and each monster is its own challenge. Lots of game to play. Not to mention, it has great local (and online) multiplayer, which s a big selling point for me as my wife and I like to play games together and local multiplayer is something a lot of games don't support these days.
May 18, 2015 10:36 pm
Skyrim is indeed excellent! It's especially good for when you just wanna kill some hobos.

I've never played Monster Hunter though. Local multiplayer is a plus though!
May 19, 2015 3:39 pm
This is a difficult question to answer. But...if I had to pick just one series, I would put my money on Diablo for PC. I love everything about the original, the beloved Diablo II, and the new, flashy Diablo III. I have put hours and hours into its stories, lore, leveling, loot collecting, character building, and boss hunting. It really is a go-to of mine.
Jun 29, 2015 3:57 am
Deus-Ex has been my favorite ever since i picked up the original during a steam sale for a buck 50.
Jul 6, 2015 8:52 am
I played Guild Wars for thousands of hours and still loved it when GW2 came out. If there were players on the servers I'd still play. One of the best stories I've ever seen in a game and the whole thing was entertaining without being a horribly grindy game.

The Elder Scrolls series is definitely a great series! @ExperienceLTD can you link the .//hack game? Google isn't turning up much for me.

@kingluke4 I did love the Diablo series but they are horribly simple one click games.
Jul 9, 2015 7:32 am
One of the best roleplayer games with rich immersive deep story was The Mask of Betrayer. It and Planetscape Torment were only games which delivered really bone-chilling immersive RP experience. Now the team who have been in charge of those 2 games plots and design doing my favorite setting video game - Torment - Tides of Numenera.
Jul 15, 2015 3:29 pm
I miss games like Bard's Tale and the old TSR/SSI games. I can't play them anymore, so there is no way to know how much of my joy is colored by nostalgia. Oh! Not to mention the old Sierra games like King's Quest. It felt like you could do just about anything in those games...just had to find the right keywords.
Last edited July 15, 2015 3:31 pm
Jul 15, 2015 5:29 pm
Always been a big fan of Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest/Warrior, and Mega Man.
Jul 16, 2015 7:51 pm
I really like the Final Fantasy series. I will also probably buy anything Pokemon related since I never want to give up part of my childhood or Sims. I can spend way too many hours on these games it's unreal.
Jul 17, 2015 12:27 pm
Since I just finished Bioshock (first one) that was pretty good, although I usually stick to RPGs I've felt a need to finish open world action games latterly... where I shot stuff repeated like Just Cause 2.
Sep 11, 2015 5:59 am
Aside from the ones already mentioned, I also loved the Phantasie series, especially Phantasie III. Unique IP created by SSI around the same time they were making the "Gold Box" games for TSR, they had a wonderful, heroic feel for a fantasy RPG, yet with a critical hit system that was really entertaining (you could tell successful, veteran parties of adventurers by how many limbs they were missing).

But my favorite, the game that I replay regularly, has to be the Dungeon Master series. Pretty much pure dungeon crawls, they remain amazing. Dungeon Master was the inspiration for Eye of the Beholder and, more recently, the Legend of Grimrock series of games, but all the imitators fall short of the original. Why? The original DM was great for many reasons, but it was particularly superior to the games that came since because of the magic system, which weirdly has never been imitated, much less reproduced, in any other game. You have a set of runes that represent different concepts, and you would cast spells by combining runes to describe the effect that the spell would have. Using a rune expends mana, but the spell is attempted only when you utter all the runes together. What was particularly brilliant - and what has never been reproduced - is that you didn't have a spell list. To successfully cast a spell, you'd have to figure out the correct combination of runes, and have the requisite experience to be able to cast it. You'd have to experiment to discover the spells, and make charts of which combinations of runes worked and which didn't. Every attempt to cast a spell earned experience, but you'd often discover a working rune combination but not know what it did, because it would say "Gothmog needs more experience to cast this wizard spell" so you knew it did *something.* So the magic system was a whole game in itself, which you played in parallel with the dungeon exploration. Sure, in exploring the dungeon, you would occasionally find scrolls that would reveal rune combinations for certain spells, but only the basest rube wouldn't have figured out the spell long before the scroll was found. Sadly, a lot of these rubes make "Let's Play" videos of DM on YouTube. I recently started my daughter playing DM for the first time, and I was delighted to see that she immediately started experimenting with runes without any prompting from me whatsoever. In so doing, she's discovered how to case fireballs, create shield potions and cure poison before completing the second level of the dungeon. It's wonderful to watch.
Feb 18, 2016 11:06 pm
Warhammer anything, led by my favorite & beloved R.I.P. Warhammer Online.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.