Looking for Players for D&D 4e

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 16, 2015 6:37 pm
I'm new to Gamers EDIT:Plane I don't really know how to find games and how people find mine.

This a D&D 4e I have ready for players.

A land was seperated from the usual empires of waring races and goblin raids when a line of stars fell to the earth and created the Wandermere. The star spawn were corrupted into darkness, making the night time dangerous for any creature, causing ruin on anything not behind strong walls. 80 years later in the fragment land their are three strongholds/populous still standing against the darkness. Dragon Pool, full of diverse religion. Tier the centre of scientific(artificer) innovation. And the militarized White Ridge. There are no longer small towns along the roads and very few farmers. The cities are diverse and not divided by race. There is no empire, no king, though there are noble families and ruling families, no one claims to own the land which the darkness has claimed.
PCs will be in Dragon Pool for the first few levels (Investigating Fringe events / search for specials like x-men cartoon / mysterious deaths / making npc contacts) because the outside is unsafe for beginner levels.
Newbies welcome :)

You can be in the Guard. Or amongst the detectives / people who are officially supposed to investigate. You can be criminal with a heart who wants the deaths to stop. A common citizen that gets caught up in a strange happening. A young noble who is more interested in adventure then formal dress and meetings. Or a Traveler new to the city.
Last edited May 23, 2015 4:49 pm
May 16, 2015 7:24 pm
Hey ShadowFire and welcome to Gamers' Plane, though I admit, Gamers Gate has an interesting ring to it. I'm really glad to see you've dived straight into the site by starting up a game.

To find a new game, just click the Games link in the top nav bar to go to the "My Games" page. On there, you'll see games you're currently running or are a part of. You can give the link for your game there to prospective players. Anyone looking for your game can click "Join a Game" and search for your game there.

EDIT: I was just reminded what Gamers Gate is. I don't like the ring of it anymore :p
May 18, 2015 4:14 am
Sounds very cool and I love 4th Ed. Well...any edition really.
May 21, 2015 1:31 pm
Am interested in playing a Star Pact Hexblade for this :-)
May 23, 2015 8:14 am
You said in your description that newbies are welcome. Well I'm no newbie to D&D, but 4e is the gap in my D&D education, and I'd be interested to participate in your game. I like your description of the "points of light" setting. I have a D&D character concept I want to try (a Dark Elf Bard - I'm thinking "heavy metal war chanter" type thing). I'll apply for the game now.

EDIT: Oh and my involvement in the plot hook you mention would be that I am gathering material for my next song of woe. Using the historical concept of bard as a kind of journalist. I would certainly use my bardic talents to support any other people who were investigating with me - I'll need the protection in order to put my song together.
Last edited May 23, 2015 8:18 am
May 23, 2015 3:55 pm
Welcome Harland, I like your character involvement hook.

Keleth, sorry for the misprint on the name, alliterations have a way of getting into my head.
May 23, 2015 4:26 pm
That's a great point, harlandski. I've played every edition of D&D except 4e, and there is no reason for that 'gap'. The premise for your story, ShadowFire, sounds really cool, full of ambiance and dark-hearted enemies. If you'll have me, I'll think up a character concept and let you know in the next 13 hours what that is.
May 23, 2015 4:40 pm
You are welcome to join Qralloq. Feel free to post in the Dragon Pool Forum under Pre-game.
May 23, 2015 9:09 pm
I'm leaning toward a defender, an unaligned protection paladin, either of Erathis or the Raven Queen.
May 24, 2015 4:30 pm
I'm not really Familiar with unaligned paladins. So you would be about protecting all life (maybe not including undead) not just protecting good things and smiting evil. This would mean you might protect a devil from a celsestial trying to kill it the same as you would peasants from demons. Paladin is a strong word, be careful about where that leads your character.
May 24, 2015 4:58 pm
I can choose a good god instead, I just didn't want to be 'that guy' if the party had dodgy alignments, or was filled with thieves and forgerers. If you would prefer, I'll even play a fighter instead. Just seemed like a Defender role was missing and I do like that role.

As I understand it, in 4e a paladin upholds the virtues of their god, whatever those ideals are. There even paladins of chaotic evil gods, just not recommended in the PHB for players. So a paladin of the Raven Queen would 1) "Hold no pity for those who suffer and die, for death is the natural end of life." 2) "Bring down the proud who try to cast off the chains of fate. As the instrument of the Raven Queen, you must punish hubris where you find it." 3) "Watch for the cults of Orcus and stamp them out whenever they arise. The Demon Prince of the Undead seeks to claim the Raven Queen's throne."

Erathis may be a better fit for your setting as described. "Work with others; community and order" "Tame the wilderness; defend the light of civilization" "Seek out new ideas, new inventions, new lands to inhabit; build machines/cities/empires" I would see a paladin of Erathis as someone who wants to protect the city from external (i.e., wilderness) threats primarily, but also internal schism that disrupt the functioning of the community. Erathis is unaligned, but maybe would be Lawful Neutral in 3.5 or Pathfinder.
May 24, 2015 6:22 pm
Qralloq says:
As I understand it, in 4e a paladin upholds the virtues of their god, whatever those ideals are. There even paladins of chaotic evil gods, just not recommended in the PHB for players.
This is why Paladins shouldn't have alignment restrictions or choose an alignment. They literally are bound to the doctrines of their deities or ideals of their order, not necessarily the law of the land or the like. But that ultimately falls to the GM to decide how Paladins are viewed and such
May 24, 2015 7:13 pm
ExperienceLtd says:
But that ultimately falls to the GM to decide how Paladins are viewed and such
I think that was my intent for this post. Some gaming groups have more fear of a paladin in play than they do of a chaotic neutral rogue with a penchant for in-party theft. Similarly, some GMs have a pretty specific idea of what a paladin can and cannot do, which may not be compatible with how a player feels.

Maybe this goes back to AD&D, where paladins were more powerful than other classes and so had higher minimum stats and a restrictive in code of conduct to balance. In 3e+, they were no more powerful than other classes, but still the code of conduct remained in the description, unlike any other class. Even clerics, who are arguably far more proselytizers and exemplars of their gods power don't face the sin/atonement problem as blatantly applied to paladins.

I'm generally more tolerant of paladin conduct in my homebrew campaigns, but each GM has a different view, and I accept the uniqueness of each game.
May 24, 2015 9:36 pm
Alright I was thinking when you said defender, that was more then just a fighting style. That you would defend people and being unaligned you might then defend everyone. But it makes sense for you to be bound to the ideals of your god, which would not mean that. Continue on, I like the sound of Erathis.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.