The Strangling Sea: Chapter 1

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 17, 2015 3:17 am
On the SouthEast edges of the Wild Wood lies an area where the High Druid's desire for nature's reign is fulfilled. At least, it was until a horde of derro, whose bodies have been merged with steel in an unnatural manner, emerged from the earth and began laying waste to the area.

The High Druid sent an envoy to Feras, the local druid in charge, inquiring as to why he had thus far been unable to drive off the attackers. His answer was filled with frustration and exasperation, and he was given a command: find Inigo Sharpe. He asked, "How can I find a man who is dead?" The answer given was, "Nyíl Íj." Those were the last words spoken to Feras before the envoy departed.

A flock of birds was soon released in all directions with instructions to find Nyíl and entreat her assistance. She was to gather a party who would be capable of an impossible task and to present themselves before Feras as soon as possible.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1136446/WildWood.jpg

[OOC: We're going to start this off with a travel montage - I will randomly select the order and each will each narrate how they dealt with something encountered during their travel. They will then present a problem for the next person in line to deal with. No dice rolls are necessary - just explain how you dealt with the situation.

Here's the order:
1. Inidrill
2. Nyil Ij
3. Jeremiah
4. Blackstar

So, Inidrill, you (and the rest of the party if you are traveling together) encountered a group of Orc raiders in the midst of their plundering a small village. Narrate how they were dealt with.

When each of you have a chance to deal with a situation, you will arrive at Feras' location and be ushered to him.

I also need each of you to roll for your Icon Relationships - it's a d6 per point you have. When you roll, please indicate which Icon you're rolling for. Eg, if you have a 2pt relationship with the Prince of Shadows, you'd roll 2d6 and put 'Prince of Shadows' in the Reason box.]
May 17, 2015 3:59 am
Here are Nyíl's icon relationship rolls.

OOC: Nyíl is a human female.
Last edited May 17, 2015 4:02 am

Rolls

Icon Relationship [Positive/High Druid] - (2d6)

(35) = 8

Icon Relationship [Negative/Crusader] - (1d6)

(1) = 1

May 17, 2015 5:22 am
[OOC: Here are Blackstar's Icon Relationship rolls]

Rolls

Icon Relationship [Diabolist: negative] - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Icon Relationship [Archmage: positive] - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Icon Relationship [Great Gold Wyrm: conflicted] - (1d6)

(5) = 5

May 17, 2015 6:33 am
Coming over the rise of a small hill Inidrill sees the smoke rising from the village first, then hears the cries of the children and wives lamenting their fate. She spurs her horse onward as fast as it can go, seemingly heedless of the danger of loose rocks or raised roots along the road. Boldly she rode into the village green where the civilized people were gathered either to be slaughtered or divided up as trophy or slave. Inidrill presented herself to the leader of the war band and offered blessings and healing to the orcs, if she could also treat the villagers. Her offers where at first met with sly derision, but she persisted. Being an elf, and hated by the savage orcs she was offered a place in the leaders harem. Politely she refused, but spun the conversation to a the philosophical debate of Right to Rule. (Though debate might me a more colorful word than others would use.) It was decided that the strongest had the right to rule for as long as they are able, then the stronger person should take over. The orc leader was not prepared for the challenge to come from the elf, but he did so valiantly. It was a hard fought battle, but Inidrill claimed victory. A few of the prouder orc warriors could not accept the elf's victory and a fight broke out. With the help of her companions she drove the rest back k into the wilds.
Last edited May 17, 2015 7:02 am

Rolls

Relationship High Priestess conflicted - (2d6)

(63) = 9

Elf Queen - (1d6)

(6) = 6

May 17, 2015 12:25 pm
[OOC: Great resolution! Now you need to present Nyil with a problem for her to overcome.]
May 17, 2015 2:08 pm
((Encounter: A small valley can be seen. It opens some ways off the road. It is filled with a lush verdant forest. In the distance a tall, crooked, windowless tower juts out above the trees. It doesn't look inhabitable, but a young woman appears on the roof waving a bed sheet as though asking for help.))

((Also forgot one of my Icon rolls last night. Included below))
Last edited May 17, 2015 2:10 pm

Rolls

Crusader relatiinship rl - (1d6)

(6) = 6

May 18, 2015 3:20 am
These are Jeremiah's relationship dice rolls.

Rolls

Icon Relationship Roll - Dwarf King 2, Conflicted - (2d6)

(22) = 4

Icon Relationship Roll - Orc Lord 1, Negative - (1d6)

(2) = 2

May 18, 2015 3:49 am
Nyíl slowly works her way through the trees as she heads in the direction of the strange tower. "I'll have to apologize to Feras and the others for being late, but a sight such as this needs to be investigated", she murmurs to herself as she tries to rationalize letting her curiosity get the better of her. Eventually the forest gives way to what appears to be a perfectly circular clearing, perhaps 50 feet in diameter, with the crooked tower directly at the center. As she breaks from the cover of the forest and enters the clearing she is greeted from above.

"Careful, friend, do not get too close to the tower or you'll end up trapped up here as well!"

Nyíl takes a few steps back towards the edge of the clearing as a puzzled look crosses her face, "How did you get up there in the first place?"

"I'm not quite sure. I was collecting mushrooms in the forest when I happened upon this clearing. As I approached the tower there was a bright flash of light and I was knocked out. When I awoke, I found myself on top of this tower. Please help me!"

Nyíl has the women direct her to the last location she remembers being on the ground before ending up on the tower. Once there, she picks up a small stone and tosses it gently towards the tower. A bright light flashes as the rock hits the tower and as she shields her eyes she hears the woman above let out a yelp as the stone bounces off of her head.

"Sorry about that", Nyíl apologizes as she reaches into her pack and pulls out a rope, "but I think I might have a way to get you down." Holding on to the end, she tosses the rope towards the tower and as it uncoils and hits its mark, the bright light once again appears. The trapped women, realizing what Nyíl is trying to do, finds the other end of rope dangling just in front of her, suspended from what appears to be a hole in the sky, perhaps 10 feet above. She quickly grabs her end of the rope and ties it around her waist and then yells down to Nyíl that she's ready.

Pulling with all of her might, Nyíl watches as the women is pulled into the hole above her head, closing behind her as she is completely pulled through. Struggling against the loose ground, Nyíl digs in the best she can and continues pulling as she backs away from the tower. Suddenly, with a bright flash of light, the now rescued women comes crashing through the bottom of the tower and lands unceremoniously on the ground.

As both women pick themselves up and brush themselves off the rescued women approaches Nyíl. "I don't have much to offer in way of thanks, but please take these. They're the best the forest has to offer", and hands Nyíl a small bag of mushrooms. The two finish exchanging pleasantries before Nyíl excuses herself in order to continue on with her trip.

Encounter: As Jeremiah is working his way along a forest trail he feels a slight tug from behind. Turning around he sees a small humanoid creature, maybe two feet in height scurrying away with one of his possessions.
May 18, 2015 6:08 am
Jeremiah felt his person lighten, and as he turned he found a creature almost his height, carrying off his bag of gold. "Thief!" he cried. He pulled out one of his daggers and threw it at the critter. The strike didn't kill it, but the blade did wound the culprit. After an hour of running through the woods, he lost the thief... but as the cretin was bleeding rather profusely at this point, he was able to follow it to its hideout. It was all too familiar to him: a goblin warren, smaller than what he used to deal with, but serviceable for a decent-sized tribe of goblins.

He knew that rushing in was suicidal even with friends at his side, so he decided to sneak into it, find his gold, kill the nutter that took his stuff, and get out. There were a few close calls here and there, but the plan was going quite well. Too well, in fact. Things are going to get real bad real soon, he thought to himself, as he reached for his pouch that was lying next to the wounded goblin that was being bandaged by its companion. True enough, he found himself running for dear life as around twelve well-armed goblins chased him down.

"Three out of four ain't so bad!" he shouted at himself as arrows, bullets, and spears rained down on him, both from the goblins that were chasing him, and the Platinum Rangers that were on patrol along the main road.

"Are you alright, gnome?" asked one of the rangers. "We almost mistook you for being one of them; what IS that on your shield anyway?"

"Oh this little thing?" he replied. "That's just the troll that terrorized my village years before. Slayed him I did!"

The rangers who didn't snicker rolled their eyes and said under their breath, "Sure you did." The ranger who spoke to Jeremiah continued. "So, where are you headed?"

Jeremiah responded. "Me? I'm looking for someone who still owes me a drink at the First Pawn. Or three, given how it's been more than a month since I last met her. Which reminds me, I need to go now." Before they could continue with their questions, he left. As he was walking away, he said "Thanks for scaring off those goblins by the way!"

[ OOC: He did pick up the dagger he threw during the chase. Also, Blackstar wakes up in a cage that seems to be one of several freak show attractions of a traveling circus. ]
May 19, 2015 1:43 pm
Blackstar awoke in an iron cage on board a ship sailing to Drakkenhall. His captors presented themselves as a travelling circus but in truth The Broken Spider was a slaver ship. Blackstar laughed silently to himself. Ironically he had intended to head east before this turn of events. He'd received, via raven, an invitation from Nyíl Íj, a ranger he had met some time ago, to meet her on the southeast edge of the Wild Wood. He had been preparing to set out from Glitterhaegen when he was set upon by the slavers.

In another cage nearby was a centaur who called himself Ixion. Blackstar and the centaur had had a whispered conversation the night before, hatching an escape plan. Busting out of their cages would be the easy part. Overcoming their captors might prove a challenge, but getting safely to shore was the dilemma. Seeing that Blackstar was awake, Ixion scanned the horizon and with a flash in his eyes, murmured, "I have begun gathering the storm. It will descend upon us within the half-hour. Unleash your chaos now. We will be free of this ship today, one way or another." The centaur was a storm druid. And Blackstar? Well, Blackstar was something these fools had never seen before!

Blackstar cackled to himself as the slavemaster walked past his cage. In the ringleader's belt were two weapons: a jagged shard of titanium-alloy that belonged to Blackstar, and Ixion's shell khopesh, an odd, curved weapon with a blade made of the husk of some ancient animal. That was another thing: Blackstar would be loathe to leave his weapon behind. Thankfully his captors had ignored the rest of his gear, hidden away in pockets in his suit. They'd even ignored the rubber hose lashed with elastic cord to his back, mistaking those for two of his tentacles.

Those tentacles began to lash at the cage now, and the mage began to tremble as the chaos magic overtook him. His eyes shot up in his head and a low moan escaped his lips. Meanwhile, the sky began to darken and a sudden wind lashed the sails about. Lightning flashed. The slaver crew rushed about the deck to get their vessel in order but couldn't stop staring at their two strange captives. There was a moment of deafening silence before Blackstar's eyes came back into focus and chaos erupted on the ship. Suddenly there were rats everywhere. Rats pouring out of crates and barrels and every tiny crack in the ship's planking. Rats in crewmen's clothes, and dropping from the masts to swarm knee-deep on the deck. The crew flailed about and yelled at each other, only to find they were speaking in the tongues of wild animals. Chirps and squeaks, roars, barking, hissing and bellowing echoed across the now churning water. Still cackling gleefully, Blackstar flung out his hands and purple flames rippled across the deck, singeing crewman and rats alike. The tormented crewmen then began unwillingly teleporting all over the ship, switching places, appearing upside-down in the air to crash onto the deck or into the water. Unexpectedly, the chaos mage & the druid got switched in their cages as well, before being teleported quite randomly into the captain's cabin where the slavemaster was cowering under a table. The centaur smashed the table with his hooves, and Blackstar used his tentacles to flip the gibbering slaver on his back and retrieve their weapons. They charged onto the deck and jumped over the side into the water just before the druid's lightning tore The Broken Spider apart.

It was a few hours and near dark before Blackstar clambered onto the shore near Shark's Tooth just north of the Wild Wood. Of his new friend or his foes there wasn't a sign. He searched the shore but only found bits of wood from the slaver ship. Other than a few crabs and water birds there was not a living thing on the surface of the water or on the shore. Blackstar began to make his way inland. Perhaps he could still catch Nyíl Íj at the appointed meeting place.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-OsFMC68ud5c/T5b_CS8g4JI/AAAAAAABWVY/kP-o2J545TY/s320/tumblr_lzn376mcY11r0hgato1_500.jpg
Last edited May 20, 2015 2:36 am
May 21, 2015 1:50 am
As soon as you all arrive, you are ushered before Feras. After a customary greeting and welcome meal, Feras ordered the room cleared. The echoes of the doors being closed had barely been silenced when he collapsed into a chair, buried his face in his hands, and began weeping.

After a few awkward moments, he gathered himself and began pacing before the fireplace, "I don't know what to do. Several weeks ago abominations of nature appeared in the form of derros. And while we have upstanding treaties with the local derros, these are not like those we know! These have been somehow merged with steel, and they are laying waste to the entire land! We've managed to capture a few of them, but instead of behaving as one would expect, they are mad! They rave on and on about the Unseen Master demanding the 'Above be like Below' or something like that."

Feras stopped his pacing and looked at you, "The High Druid has commanded me to deal with the situation, but it's hopeless. Utterly hopeless! The only person I have ever met or heard of who might know how to stop these mad creatures was a man named Inigo Sharpe. But reliable witnesses reported Orcs having killed him several years ago! And while the High Druid knows this, she wants me to find him! She named you, Nyil, as being one who could do the impossible. Will you and those with you help? Will you somehow find Inigo and bring him here?"

[OOC: Great montage everyone, and thank you for your Icon Relationship rolls. In case you aren't aware of how those are used, each 5 and 6 rolled allows you to gain a benefit of some sort that reflects your relationship with that Icon. A 6 is a nice, clean benefit - no strings attached, and while you still get a benefit with a 5, there will be some sort of catch to it....which might be immediate or it might be delayed. You are free to use those 5s and 6s at any time - you'll just need to explain what the benefit is, how you're gaining it, and why it's applicable. I will also be keeping track of them and may use them if I see a good opportunity to do so.]
May 21, 2015 3:52 am
"The High Druid thinks much of herself indeed. Simply commanding that the dead be returned to the realm of the living as though anyone can do it! Bah...it is an affront to the gods." Inidrill pauses and looks contemplative, "However...if it were possible it would be a deed that would right one's name in annals of leglend or time immemorial. Nyil, if this is a task you believe achievable, in even the smallest of chances, I will ride by your side through the very gates of Tarturas to see it done. This I swear."
May 21, 2015 10:13 pm
Nyíl leans back a bit in her chair as she contemplates what Feras is asking of her. How was she supposed find a dead man? Why would the High Druid even think that such a thing was possible?

As Nyíl leans forward to speak, Inidrill breaks the silence and offers her assistance. Responding with an appreciative nod Nyíl stands and addresses the gathering.

"If the High Druid believes that this Inigo Sharpe can be found then I believe it as well. If he is indeed alive, we will find him and bring him here. If he is dead, we will find him, and do whatever is necessary to learn his secrets regarding the metal derros. I am confident that with the assistance of the High Druid and the many talents we have among us that this is indeed an achievable task." Nyíl pauses for a moment before adding, "But only if we all take part."

"Inidrill, your assistance will be most needed, and I thank you for your support. And while I dare not speak for the rest of you I am hopeful that you will all lend your talents to the cause as well."
Last edited May 21, 2015 10:14 pm
May 22, 2015 12:06 am
Jeremiah idly taps his shield with one of his daggers, his face bearing the weight of deep thought and puzzlement. As Nyil completes her speech, he let out a deep sigh, and speaks up. "I don't know how you actually got any derro to keep their side of a pact, but if this Inigo character be the best man to stop this madness, then what are we waitin' for?"

He slung the dagger into its sheath and continued. "If he's dead then he might have something in his person that could help us. But if he's alive, then all the better. So... where was Mr. Sharpe last spotted?"
May 22, 2015 1:48 pm
Blackstar bursts into sudden rude laughter and all eyes turn to glare at him for the interruption.

Blackstar knows Nyil Ij, but not particularly well. They had traveled together briefly soon after Hell Marsh. He knows flamboyant Jeremiah well enough because of a few shared adventures (misadventures, some might call them). The eager elf Inidrill is new to him. What could they possibly want with one such as Blackstar?

Blackstar's understanding of the powers that influence this world are limited, but being so malleable both physically and morally, he has felt their tug-o-war since his arrival here. The centaur on the slaver ship spoke of this High Druid. Apparently she has purview over the wild untamed forests in this area, and has been defending the Empire against incursions from the sea. Ixion had mentioned having been banished from the Wild Wood, but did not go into detail. Blackstar reels his wandering mind back to the here-and-now. Shakes his head to clear it. As clear a head as a madman can have. He laughs loudly again.

"I've been wondering why you'd want me along, but now I know. This mission is madness. You need a madman! Well, here I am."
May 24, 2015 1:29 am
A wave of relief visibly washed over Feras and he clasped his hands together, "Thank you! I cannot express my joy and relief that you would help us. I must admit, I had my doubts you would respond favorably, but thank the High Druid for her foresight. If there is any way I can assist you, please ask, and I will see it done!"

Feras turned toward Jeremiah, "I have been spent considerable time trying to gather as much information as possible on the story of Inigo's death, hoping that there was some indication he escaped alive. Inigo is....was...quite odd - a genius! but very odd. He had stayed here for a time helping us find a way to better cultivate our lands to grow our trees larger and stronger. I've never seen anyone work so feverishly on a task before, and as you can attest, the forest around us is bigger and stronger than I would have ever dreamed possible!"

Feras began pacing again, gesturing in the air to emphasize his story, "As I understand it, Inigo had been working on a contraption that would severely undercut the orc's ability to travel as quickly as they do. Being the first onto a battlefield has incredible advantages, and the Orc Lord had sent a team of his elite to deal with Inigo and stop his creation of this magical device.

"The elite squad did their task, and did it well. The only thing left of Inigo's tower was a pile of rubble. Alas, there was no evidence or rumor of anyone escaping. And I have not been able to find even a whisper of Inigo since. I wish I had more information for you to work with. We are working with a derro seer who is trying to divine more information, but it's a time consuming process, and her visions aren't always very clear. But she and her interpreters are working hard. Perhaps they will find something else. You'd be surprised at how much they want these derro abominations stopped.

He stopped his pacing and stared thoughtfully into the flames in the fireplace for a long moment, "The only other thing that might be of value is that we were able to determine that his former assistant is living on the shore of the Midland Sea somewhere between New Port and Shark Tooth Bay. They had supposedly had a falling out a year before Inigo's death, and while he is no match for the incredible magic and mind of Inigo, he might be of help if you cannot find Inigo. And there's the possibility he might be able to shed some light on the whereabouts of Inigo...or his body."

"If you have any other questions, please ask. As I said before, I will do whatever I can to aid you in this task."

He paused, then slowly turned and stared hard into the face of Inidrill, "But, Inidrill? Speak illly of the High Druid in my presence again, and I will have you forcibly removed from this land. Do not forget whose domain you are in. Do I make myself clear?"
May 24, 2015 3:18 pm
"You take offense when I speak only truth. Souls, whether departed, living, or soon to enter this realm are the domain of the gods. And it is beyond my ability to simply command them back from the other side where they rest. Yet it is that very deed she demands of us. I do not doubt the High Druids wisdom however and welcome the challenge. If you take fact as insult, my most gracious host, perhaps an examination of your own faith and commitment to her is in order. But I digress. The topic at hand is more important."

"You say you are working with a Derro seer? But Derro are the problem. what assurances do you have that this seer is not misleading you intentionally?"
May 26, 2015 8:41 am
At this, Jeremiah stepped in. "Usually I'd hate to interrupt anyone's speech, but I've seen derros backstab each other while I was an apprentice smith in Forge. They're clearly crazy, and frankly anything that'd help them remove themselves from the land is a blessing if you ask me."

Facing Feras, he continued. "While I was taught to never settle for even dwarven pig iron, this assistant is our best lead at the moment. Could you provide us with supplies and maybe a ship to go with it? If you've got any magic that could help us too, that'd be great."
May 26, 2015 2:27 pm
"I would have liked to have met this inventor," Blackstar says, fingering the inert blaster at his hip.

"Feras says this former assistant is living on the shore of the Midland Sea somewhere between New Port and Shark Tooth Bay. We don't need a boat to get there. Why, I just walked from there yesterday! That's where I came ashore after hitching a ride with some nice circus people headed for Drakkenhal." Blackstar sniggers. "Probably strolled across his front lawn without knowing it! Supplies certainly wouldn't hurt though. Does this former assistant have a name?"
Last edited May 26, 2015 2:30 pm
May 27, 2015 9:52 pm
Feras slowly nodded at Inidrill, "…I agree, the topic at hand is more important." He turned to address everyone, "As for the derro's loyalty, I do not question it. We have been at peace with them for the past several years, and it has been a very profitable time for both our people. They were the first to alert us of this issue as their children began disappearing from their homes at night. Search parties returned empty handed, and we had all but given up hope until the children emerged from the earth, transformed into these monsters who are now laying waste. Our allies seek to bring an end to this madness and stop this 'Unseen Master' as much, if not more than I do." He paused then looked back into the flames, seemingly struggling with a weight of emotion, "I must admit, it took me some time to get past my prejudices. And while I do not fault you for yours, I will stand by the reports given to us by our allies."

He straightened his shoulders and turned to Jeremiah, "While I have heard rumors of ships that sail the land as well as the sea, I have yet to see one with my own eyes. I can, however, outfit you with a team of horses and supplies, which will certainly aid in your travels." He moved to the mantle and reached into a small chest, withdrawing a silvery disk. He handed it to Jeremiah, "This is one of the devices Inigo tinkered with while he was here. By pressing these symbols, it allows for communication at great distances. With it, I will be able to pass along any additional information I find. Please take great care of it, as Inigo made very few of them."

He looked at Blackstar, "I believe the assistant's name is Firen or Gyfin or something like that. The seers have been having an unusually difficult time finding information on him, and when they try scrying him directly, they only see a white sun. They cannot look at it for long as it seems to burn their eyes."

Uncertainty suddenly rippled across his face and he said, "Please wait here. I will return in a moment," and he left the room.
May 27, 2015 10:09 pm
Nyíl, not one to talk, sits back and takes in the conversation and as Feras exits the room a concerned look crosses her face, "While I have complete faith in The High Druid's intentions the same courtesy can not be extended to her messengers."
May 31, 2015 2:06 am
Several minutes passed before Feras returned. He carried with him a suit of armor made of dark stone slates. He set it and a few jars on the table and clasped his hands before him, "Please pardon my abrupt departure. I suddenly remembered we had this armor in storage, and after consulting with a few of my advisors, we think you should have it. The blessing it carries will do more for you in your journey than it will sitting on our shelves here. I also found these potions to send with you as well.

I presume you will depart on the morrow, so I ensured you all have comfortable rooms for tonight, but if you would like to leave immediately, I will send word to the stables."

OOC: You'll need to decide who gets the armor and potions:

Blessed Slate Light Armor: +1 AC and PD. Quirk: Extremely stubborn
3 Adventurer Tier Healing Potions: When consumed, spend a recovery and gain Recovery + 1d8 HP (max 30)
May 31, 2015 2:21 pm
Inidrill observers her companions for a moment then looks at the items on the table. "I gladly offer the armor to either of you, and trust my health to divine providence, if however the heavy armor is not to your liking, I will accept this gift from our patron."

"As for getting started, I see no reason to leave immediately. The morning is a more auspicious time to begin anyway."
May 31, 2015 4:21 pm
"I am quite literally attached to my suit." Blackstar cackles. "However, I will gladly take one of these healing draughts if that's alright."
May 31, 2015 4:58 pm
"If it is all right with the rest of you I would like to offer the armor to Inidrill, I'd be much more comfortable in my own." Reaching for one of the potions Nyíl continues, "I will take one of these along for us should the need the arise."

"Feras, Inidrill makes a fair point. A good night's rest would surely be to our benefit. Is there lodging available for the four of us nearby?"
Jun 1, 2015 8:36 am
Scrutinizing the slab of stone that their benefactor called 'armor' with his eyes, Jeremiah snickered a bit. He mumbled to himself, "It's passable I suppose."

In his normal voice, he continued. "I'll have a bottle of that magical healing, though I'd like to honor my master by adding a generous amount of ale to the brew, if that's alright with everyone."
Jun 1, 2015 1:35 pm
"I wouldn't mind some of that ale right now but with my luck it's more likely to turn into imp urine as soon as it touches my lips!" Blackstar says mournfully. "Remember that bar in Glitterhaegen, Jeremiah? I still feel bad about throwing up on your head. You sure did love that feathered hat of yours!"
Jun 3, 2015 7:16 am
Jeremiah winced at the memory. "Yes, I did. Remind me to give you another air hole just like I did back then, so you can spew your drink lower next time." He jested sarcastically. "Took me weeks to find another cockatrice feather to replace the one you ruined, y'know!"

Calming down a bit, he faced the group and said, "I'm sorry, I'll feed him some grub rot when I get the chance. May I take a look at our accommodations?"
Jun 5, 2015 4:01 am
Feras nodded at the requests about the rooms, "Yes, as I mentioned, we have prepared rooms for you tonight." He called for the servants, who led each of you to your room.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next morning, you were greeted by an enormous breakfast feast, then led to the gates were eight fine horses stood waiting. Four had saddles and the others had bulging packs. Feras introduced them, "These are the finest bred horses we have. If you swap packs and saddles, you will probably grow weary of travel before they do. Please care for them and treat them with respect. When you are done with them, let them free, and they'll find their way back here.

"I spoke with our seers last night and asked them to seek out the Orcs, who are once again looking for Inigo. Seems they want to finish what they started. The seers were able to find some new information. The Orcs are furiously seeking a man named Firigin, who is the assistant we have been having trouble scrying. They know no more of his whereabouts than we do, so you must hasten to find him! It would be ill fate indeed if the Orcs get to him first.

"Farewell, and may the wild nature that binds us all together aid you in your journey!"

OOC:
Unless you want to do anything else with Feras, we're going to do another montage, except this time instead of describing the troubles you run into during your travels, narrate how you find Firigin. Did one of your Icon relationships come into play (remember the 5s and 6s you have at your disposal)? Was it a chance encounter with his former lover? Was it spending a week chasing down tavern rumors? Be as creative as you'd like, and who posts in what order doesn't matter this time 'round.
Jun 6, 2015 2:50 am
For the first leg of the journey, we first went to Elder's Cache, one of several trading outposts that lie between Axis and Horizon. Feras mentioned derros, and Jeremiah figured that perhaps the less violent of the underfolk may know this Firigin's whereabouts.

Not that Elder's Cache is known for being a quiet place. On the contrary, its tavern The Wax Off Wax Inn is known to be one of the better places to break every bone in your body in, as monks, brawlers, veteran gladiators, and even the occasional orc comes by with one excuse or another to start a friendly exchange of fisticuffs. The perfect place for crazy folk like the derros to relax in**.

It's here that we heard about Firigin's aunt, Aunt Marga, who might know more about his whereabouts.

[ It is much to Jeremiah's chagrin that he knows this place. ]
Last edited June 6, 2015 2:51 am
Jun 8, 2015 3:04 pm
Imagining Aunt Marga as a kind old lady, the adventurers are shocked to find she in fact runs a brothel in the dirtiest, toughest part of town. Aunt Marga is grotesquely huge, towering over even Blackstar, and her girth is even more monstrous. She is also ugly beyond all reckoning. That is, if one could see her actual face through the layers of cosmetics. She receives the adventurers in her heavily perfumed boudoir. All are equally ill at ease except for Blackstar, who finds it all just unbelievably funny. Aunt Marga offers to give them information about her nephew in exchange for one night with Jeremiah, which Blackstar gleefully agrees to. Nyil & Inidrill (and not surprisingly, Jeremiah himself) manage to talk the old girl into settling for one of the flamboyant gnome's silk handkerchiefs and one of his secrets whispered in her ear.

The information she gives is this: The last time she saw Firigin, he was scouting Elder's Cache for sellswords to hire for a journey North to the coast, where he intended to get himself a ship.
Last edited June 8, 2015 3:06 pm
Jun 9, 2015 5:57 pm
Using the lead that Firigin in was in town hiring mercenaries, the party heads out again, armed with better questions to ask. Much to their dismay however they discovered they had missed Firigin by a day or so. He and his band had headed North. Along the way the group encounters an elven scouting party. They are on the trail of a group of orcs who also are headed north. Inidrill talks the party's way into the band of elven scouts and they all travel north.

They catch up to the orcs on the third night. A battle ensued but the orcs had not been prepared for the attack and were throughly destroyed.It seemed the orcs have caught two humans sellswords who had been with Firigin but got seperated when the orcs were detected and the mercenaries fled. The mercenary who survived was greatful for being rescued and told his saviors all he knew of Firigin's plan, but it was nothing new. The elves send word to their commander and make camp for the night. Revelry over takes the camp that night and much brandy and wine are shared. In the morning messages return from the elven command and are taken directly to the scout leader's tent. A large breakfast for two is brought moments later. About half an hour later Inidrill emerges from the scout leader's tent and she gathers her companions. It seems the elves had noted the passage of the mercenary band being lead by a man fitting Firigin's description. They were using the well established road to pass through the woods to get North. The elves provided a map showing a shorter hunting trail that could get the party in front of the mercenaries.
Last edited June 9, 2015 5:57 pm
Jun 11, 2015 12:11 am
Several hours into their trek along the hunting trail the party comes across what appears to be a fork that isn't on the map and the proper path forward is not clear. While stopping to discuss their options Nyíl notices a wispy figure beckoning to her along the left fork. Trying to keep quiet, she gently nudges Jeremiah, and points towards the figure. Jeremiah then quietly notifies the others as Nyíl tries to make sense of what she is seeing.

Moving slowly towards the figure Nyíl does her best to identify it, but the best she can make out is that it is some sort of humanoid, about seven feet in height. As the group gets closer the figure moves further along, motioning for Nyíl to follow. As this back and forth continues the figure slowly picks up speed and group does their best to keep up until eventually everyone is near a full sprint. Just as it appears that the figure is going escape, it lunges into the brush off of the trail, and as Nyíl follows, her leg catches a root and sends her sprawling through the air and landing flat on her face.

As she picks herself up and brushes herself off she realizes that she landed on the side of a road. Looking back to the others she notices that their attention is focused further down at the small group of people heading in their direction. "Looks like we may have found who we've been looking for." she thinks as the party approaches who they hope is Firigin.

OOC: The figure was from my relationship roll with the High Druid. Perhaps some help when we weren't sure which way to go.
Jun 12, 2015 10:10 pm
After a conversation with the gypsies on the road, they go on their way, having divulged to you that just an hour ago, a man matching Firigin's description sped past them hopping on one foot at an unbelievably fast pace. Shortly after, four angry-looking mercenaries rode past on tired horses. One of the children had piped up saying that she had noticed an odd, white leaf on the hopping man's foot.

You head off in the direction given, and soon hear the sound of crashing waves against the shore. Cresting a final hill, you see three men beating on the doors and windows of an incredibly white, spherical building. The full spectrum of the sun seems to be collected, intensified, and reflected off the dome.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1136446/FiriginsDome.jpg

Shielding your eyes, you can make out a fourth person standing in front of the building. She calls out, "Firigin! You scad! We had a deal, you slimy piece of Koru offal! When we're done with you, there'll be nothing left - we'll destroy even those pearly whites you're so proud of. You're a dead man either way, but we'll kill you quickly if you let us in!

"Gorta, move away from the door." A thick-necked man complied and a swath of fire shot from the woman's hand and struck the door. It rattled in its frame, but the flames rolled over the sphere and dissipated. The woman let out a screech, "Tear down that door!" Gorta moved back into position and swung his heavy club again at the wooden door.

OOC: Great montage, everyone. Sorry for my delay. It has been a very rough week as we've had to deal with some family things. We should be back on schedule though.
Jun 13, 2015 7:01 am
"Heehee, looks like we're in for another fight! And they have a mage of some sort!" Blackstar's eyes widen in anticipation and his mouth drips spittle like a mad dog. He prepares himself, gathering the chaos magic to him. He wonders gleefully what mayhem will be unleashed through him here today.

[OOC: njohn858 this might be a good time to tell me my first spell type :-) ]
Last edited July 4, 2015 2:44 pm
Jun 14, 2015 2:03 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
[OOC: njohn858 this might be a good time to tell me my first spell type :-) ]
OOC: Your first spell type will be Iconic. I'm rolling a d12 to determine which icon it's associated with. Reference 13TW p16 for which icon the roll correlates to. :)

Rolls

Iconic Spell Association - (1d12)

(8) = 8

Jun 14, 2015 3:40 am
The stench of rotting flesh in his nostrils tells Blackstar his first spell this battle will bear the taint of the Lich King. His face transforms into that of a corpse. He looks inquiringly at his companions, speaks in a death rattle, "I expect the rest of you will want to come up with some sort of plan. Best be quick about it, I can't keep this bottled up for long." He gestures at the woman attacking Firigin's odd dwelling. "Looks like those sellswords aren't good at waiting either."

"Besides," Blackstar laughs croakingly, his face now a grotesque skull, "the suspense is killing me!"

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/f0/77/25/f077254848883a2dafdfec50a4d69f77.jpg
Last edited June 14, 2015 1:11 pm
Jun 14, 2015 5:28 am
Inidrill dismounts and steps forward watching the brigands gathered before the domed building. She takes a wide stance and plants the butt of her weapon in the ground, her off hand on her hip in a powerful pose. She gives Balckstar a sidlomg glance with narrowed eyes. Then shouts to the people assulring the doo, "Greetings, fellow travelers! It is fortuitous that we have found you here. We seek a common goal. Getting something from Firigin, who seems to be in that hovel. If you would let us speak to him first however, that would be appreciated. What we seek he will most likely give, then afterward we will depart in peace and let you have your way with him."
Last edited June 14, 2015 2:10 pm
Jun 16, 2015 12:16 pm
Blackstar turns skeletal eye sockets towards Inidrill in disbelief. She means to reason with these sellswords! The only language these people understand is money! The cleric just boldly gave up the advantage of surprise! And he thought these people would put their heads together for a quick plan. Well, this suits him just fine!

Blackstar spurs his mount forward, and charges down the hill, his head haloed in writhing necrotic energy.

[OOC: I guess this means Initiative. Blackstar is Gathering Power this round to empower his spell, which he will cast at double strength in the 2nd round. I forgot to roll for Blackstar's random sorcerer spell for the day. Doing that now.]

Roll results:

Chaotic Benefit: Blackstar gains +1 AC bonus until the start of his next turn. Temp AC = 13.

Sorcerer spell for the day: Chaos Bolt
Last edited June 17, 2015 4:34 pm

Rolls

Initiative. - (1d20+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Chaotic Benefit while Gathering Power - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Sorcerer spell for the day. - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Jun 18, 2015 12:55 am
Nyíl dismounts, readies her bow, and notches an arrow. She watches closely as Blackstar starts his charge and will react when and if a fight is started.

OOC: I'll roll initiative just in case it's needed.
Last edited June 18, 2015 12:55 am

Rolls

Initiative [First Roll: Quick to Fight] - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Initiative [Second Roll: Quick To Fight] - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

Jun 18, 2015 2:34 am
The wizard spun toward the sound of Inidrill's voice and was about to respond when Blackstar's horse began its charge. Her jaw slackened at the sight of a skull-faced creature in strange, bulky armor barreling toward her. She backed toward the white dome, yelling frantically, "Eeeahhh! we're being attacked by demons! Forget about Firigin, kill them!"

The three men left the dome and moved past their leader, putting themselves in the path of the horror that was rapidly approaching them. Gorta crouched low, his massive club held loosely in one hand. He pulled a blade from his belt and flicked it menacingly, obviously quite familiar with how to use both.

One of the others reached into his sleeves and withdrew a pair of daggers. He grasped the hilt of one and the blade of the other, ready for whatever may come.

The last man, who had been using the hilt of his sword to bang against a window, now spun the sword around in his hand, light from the dome flashing off the cold steel. He lithely danced forward, a deadly gleam in his eyes, "Don't worry, Nadda, I've killed a demon or two before!"

OOC:
Roll for Initiative!

Here's how we're going to run combat. Each of you make your post in whatever order you want, and I'll compile them together in a post with what the NPCs are doing in order of Initiative. I recognize this makes Intercept actions slightly more complicated to work out mechanically, but it should make the game flow smoother and combat go faster.

That being said, if you want to Intercept, declare it in your post and recognize that the roll and damage will apply to your character instead of the intended target. If you have questions about that, just let me know. IMO, It's a mechanic that makes a harder transition to a PbP, so we'll have to figure out the best way of handling it. But if no one Intercepts, then there's no issue! ;)

When you post your attack, please roll to hit AND your damage roll. The damage roll will only be applied if the hit is successful.

Rolls

Nadda (Wizard) Initiative - (1d20+3)

(6) + 3 = 9

Dartthrower Initiative - (1d20+4)

(19) + 4 = 23

Gorta (Club Thug) Initiative - (1d20+3)

(15) + 3 = 18

Sellsword Initiative - (1d20+3)

(1) + 3 = 4

Jun 18, 2015 3:07 am
Blackstar charges down the hill, screaming as he struggles to hold in the spell that the hand of Chaos has dealt him [Evil Touch]. Tendrils of negative energy swirl about him [+1 AC]
Jun 18, 2015 5:25 am
Inidrill runs forward as Blackstar closes in. One she raises her right arm over her head and and shouts, "Mother, let Your light shine through me and pierce the wicked heart that defies your will!"
She stopped running as a ball of light appears in the palm of her up stretched hand. She clenches her fist and the light shapes itself into a glowing ray. Then Inidrill hurls the spear of light with all of her might toward the big thug.
Last edited June 19, 2015 11:37 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+1)

(8) + 1 = 9

Javelin of Faith attack - (1d20+5)

(13) + 5 = 18

Javelin of Faith damage roll - (1d6+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Jun 18, 2015 8:26 am
Jeremiah sighed. Here we go again, he mumbled to himself as he ran to the front line, striving to put himself between Blackstar and the huge creature called Gorta.

Pulling out his schiavona from its scabbard, he thrusts his blade at the nearest opponent (preferably Gorta), as he sets up his foes as he fells any brute. After all, the bigger they are, the more satisfying the crunch when they fall.

[ OOC: If the enemy triggers my counter-attack feel free to roll on my behalf. I'll need to edit my post thanks to my flexible attacks. Hit or miss, my crit range is now 19-20, thanks to Carve an Opening. ]
Last edited June 18, 2015 8:32 am

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20+3)

(17) + 3 = 20

Dwarven Steel Schiavona (Attack) - (1d20+3)

(9) + 3 = 12

Dwarven Steel Schiavona (Damage) - (1d8+2)

(4) + 2 = 6

Jun 19, 2015 2:49 pm
Nyíl raises her bow and picks a target (Nadda) and lets loose an arrow.

Rolls

Initiative [Quick to Fight 1] - (1d20+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Initiative [Quick to Fight 2] - (1d20+5)

(20) + 5 = 25

Attack - (1d20+5)

(17) + 5 = 22

Damage - (1d8+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Jun 21, 2015 9:08 pm
Nyil's arrow speeds over the heads of the others and strikes Nadda in the shoulder. The force of the blow spun her around, and the look of shocked fury is plainly written across her face.

The dartthrower's hand that held the tip of the dagger was a blur as he let loose three small daggers fly to strike Blackstar, Jeremiah, and Inidrill as they move down the hill. He paused for a second and reared back his other arm to throw another, slightly larger knife at Jeremiah. It whipped through the air toward the small target and passed harmlessly to one side. Frustrated, he drew another knife from a full harness under his shirt.

Jeremiah's eyes are on Gorta as he thrust his schiavona toward his midsection. The thug was more nimble than one would expect, and he sucked in his stomach and twisted away. Despite his nimbleness, the blade still found flesh and a drop of blood soaked into Gorta's shirt. Ignoring the prick, Gorta turned his twist into a spin and swung his club toward Jeremiah, who was both nimble and small and easily dodged the club.

Tearing the arrow from her shoulder, Nadda screamed at Blackstar, "Go back to the Abyss, you foul demon!!!" Her cry rang through the air and a column of fire followed close after. But the pain from the arrow was too much of a distraction, and the fire blast went high over his head.

The dome behind the thugs was glowing brighter than the sun, but it paled in comparison to the the spear of light that Inidrill threw at Gorta. It tore through the distance between them and struck him solidly. He cried out in pain and fear, smoke roiling from his clothing.

The sellsword's eyes grew wide at the display of power that Inidrill showed, but the cries of his cohort launched him into action; he deftly cut the distance to Inidrill and lashed out with his blade. The stab struck true and as he pulled his blade back, blood ran down Inidrill's side.

OOC:
Jeremiah, Blackstar, and Inidrill each take 1pt of damage from the dartthrower (as long as he is not engaged, he deals this damage to anyone who moves)
Inidrill takes 5pts of damage from the sellsword. (Any disengage checks from the sellsword will trigger 1pt of damage)

Nadda takes 9 damage
Gorta takes 8 damage (1 from Jeremiah's miss and 7 from Inidrill's blast)

Escalation Die is at 1. Be sure to add that to your attack rolls!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1136446/Escalation1.jpg

Rolls

Nadda vs Blackstar PD (4 Damage) - (1d20+4)

(5) + 4 = 9

Dartthrower vs Jeremiah AC (5 damage) - (1d20+5)

(8) + 5 = 13

Gorta vs Jeremiah AC (4 damage) - (1d20+5)

(7) + 5 = 12

Sellsword vs Inidrill AC (5 damage) - (1d20+5)

(14) + 5 = 19

Jun 21, 2015 10:53 pm
Indrill let's out a roar when the sell sword's blade connects. She then brings her pole arm into a wide arching swing to crush the man who dared draw her blood.
"Unworthy swine! You will pay for spilling my divine blood!"

Rolls

Polearm attack vs sellsword - (1d20+6)

(6) + 6 = 12

Damafe roll - (1d10+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Jun 21, 2015 11:31 pm
Without taking her eyes off of her target (Nadda), Nyíl retrieves another arrow from her quill and fires it off.

Rolls

Attack Roll [+5 DEX/LVL +1 ED] - (1d20+6)

(7) + 6 = 13

Damage [+4 DEX] - (1d8+4)

(3) + 4 = 7

Jun 22, 2015 12:49 pm
Blackstar leaps off his horse and crashes into Nadda, at last releasing the spell he has been holding in. Writhing black tendrils of negative energy plunge into Nadda as they roll on the ground. Blackstar sobs with relief as the necrotic energy leaves him, and his face changes back to normal.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/8e/55/d6/8e55d6ebc96bdafd87366366edfefa25.jpg
OOC:

Blackstar spent the 1st round Gathering Power so his spell deals double damage.
Hit: 1d10 + Cha negative energy damage.
Even Hit: As hit, plus Blackstar gains 5 temp hp if Nadda drops to 0hp during battle
Miss: Damage = Blackstar's level (1)

Next Spell Type please?
Last edited June 22, 2015 12:51 pm

Rolls

Initiative [Quick to Fight 1] - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

Initiative [Quick to Fight 2] 1d20+4 - (1d20+4)

(20) + 4 = 24

Evil Touch [Lich King Iconinc Spell] vs Nadda PD - (1d20+6)

(8) + 6 = 14

Damage - (1d10+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Jun 22, 2015 12:54 pm
Your new spell type is defense

(also, you don't need to roll for Initiative any more. In 13th Age, you roll once to set the order for the entire battle)
Jun 22, 2015 1:12 pm
njohn858 says:
You don't need to roll for Initiative any more. In 13th Age, you roll once to set the order for the entire battle
OOC:

Ah. I realized I'd overlooked the Quick to Fight racial feature and only made 1 roll instead of 2 at the start of battle. I only meant to make 1 additional roll in my last post but I guess I mucked it up :-( Sorry about that!
Jun 26, 2015 6:02 am
Jeremiah laughed at Gorta, "Is that all you've got, Small Nuts?". He lunged once more at the huge foe, feinting with his sword before knocking him in the face with his shield.

[ OOC: Natural even, triggering Shield Bash. ]
Last edited June 26, 2015 6:03 am

Rolls

Dwarven Steel Schiavona (Attack) - (1d20+4)

(2) + 4 = 6

(5) + 2 = 7

Jun 26, 2015 1:18 pm
Nyil Ij had unknowingly bent one of the fletchings slightly as she drew and cocked the arrow, and as it flew toward Nadda, the damaged fletching twisted the shaft off course and it only grazed Nadda's thigh. Nadda hardly noticed it however as she was furiously backpedaling away from the skull-faced demon that was hurtling itself at her. Blackstar crashed into her, the human and skeleton tumbling to the ground. The necrotic energy flowed from him to her in an instant, completely withering her away. A human stood up looking stronger than ever, while the bones of Nadda lay glistening in the sun.

Fear was racing through the dartthrower as he watched the demon jump from the horse toward his leader. He threw a small dagger in the feeble hope it would make a difference. Fear turned to horror as Nadda was knocked to the ground and disintegrate before his eyes. The brief moment when he looked from her broken body to Blackstar seemed to stretch out for minutes, and he knew he would do whatever it took to kill the demon. Whipping his wrist forward, the dagger flew at Blackstar, sinking deep into his abdomen.

Jeremiah and Gorta thrust and parried, slashed and blocked as their blade and club danced. Jeremiah was able to get past Gorta's defenses for a brief moment and leave a small cut across his forearm. Gorta responded by a quick, brutal swing of the club, which Jeremiah deftly knocked aside.

The sellsword caught the polearm's shaft with his free hand and smiled, "Divine though your blood may be, I ain't done spilling it yet!" He stabbed again at her. She ripped the polearm free from his grasp, cutting into his hand in the process and parried the sword away.

OOC:
Nadda takes 29 damage (1 from Nyil and 28 from Blackstar) and is dead
Gorta takes 1 miss damage
Sellsword takes 1 miss damage
Blackstar takes 6 damage (1 for moving while dartthrower is unengaged, and 5 from the dartthrower's attack). You also gain 5 temporary HP from Nadda's death.

Escalation Die is at 2. Be sure to add this to your attack rolls!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1136446/Escalation2.jpg

Rolls

Dartthrower vs Blackstar AC (5 Damage) - (1d20+5)

(16) + 5 = 21

Gorta vs Jeremiah AC (4 Damage) - (1d20+5)

(10) + 5 = 15

Jun 26, 2015 1:20 pm
OOC:
The last roll was dropped from my post....

Rolls

Sellsword vs Inidrill AC (5 Damage) - (1d20+5)

(9) + 5 = 14

Jun 26, 2015 2:37 pm
Letting out a primal roar Inidrill brings her hammer down in a high arc trying to crush the sellsword's skull.

((Forgot about my racial power elven grace. I will include it this time.))

Rolls

Polearm attack vs sellsword - (1d20+8)

(5) + 8 = 13

Damage roll - (1d10+5)

(3) + 5 = 8

Elven Grace - (1d6)

(6) = 6

Second damage (ignore if Elven Grace is 3 or higher) - (1d10+5)

(6) + 5 = 11

Jun 26, 2015 5:33 pm
Disgusted with her last attempt, Nyíl decides to make one last effort with the bow before rushing into melee. Carefully drawing another arrow, she draws back and takes aim at the dart thrower.

Rolls

Attack Roll [+5 +2] - (1d20+7)

(3) + 7 = 10

Damage Roll [+4] - (1d8+4)

(7) + 4 = 11

Jun 26, 2015 6:30 pm
Blackstar wrenches the dart-thrower's dagger from his belly and drops it among Nadda's bones at his feet. With a snarl he retaliates with a blast of freezing cold from his outstretched hand.
OOC:
Blackstar decides to cast his Sorcerer spell for the day instead of the Defense spell. So is it Defense for round 3, or are we drawing from the bag again?

Quote:
Chaos Bolt
Ranged spell; At-Will
Special: The first time you use chaos bolt each battle, determine a random energy type. The spell deals that type of damage each time you use it that battle. Roll d4: 1=Cold, 2=Fire, 3=Lightning, 4=Thunder.
Target: Either a single nearby enemy or a single far away enemy with a –2 attack penalty
Attack: Charisma + Level vs. PD
Hit: 1d8 + Charisma random energy damage, and if the natural attack roll was even, you gain a chaotic benefit as if you had gathered power.
Miss: Damage equal to your level.
Last edited June 26, 2015 6:32 pm

Rolls

Random energy type - (1d4)

(1) = 1

Chaos Bolt attack roll vs dart-thrower - (1d20+7)

(14) + 7 = 21

Chaos Bolt damage roll - (1d8+4)

(1) + 4 = 5

Jul 1, 2015 7:25 pm
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
OOC:
Blackstar decides to cast his Sorcerer spell for the day instead of the Defense spell. So is it Defense for round 3, or are we drawing from the bag again?
OOC: I thought it was only after you cast the spell, but after looking it up, it's after each turn (or standard action if you're able to take multiple). Your spell type for Round 3 is attack.
Jul 2, 2015 3:36 am
Jeremiah anticipated the lumbering oaf's next swing, and as he closed in he stepped to the side and slid his blade to Gorta's midsection. "Ha!" the gnome shouted, "did you feel that sting, Goblin Breath?" It was a risky move, but he knew by experience that Gorta will be rendering himself vulnerable soon enough.

[ OOC: Natural odd, triggering Carve an Opening again, so my next attack can crit on a natural 18. ]
Last edited July 2, 2015 3:44 am

Rolls

Dwarven Steel Schiavona (Attack) - (1d20+5)

(15) + 5 = 20

(5) + 2 = 7

Jul 3, 2015 9:37 pm
The dartthrower laughed as he saw Nyil loose an arrow his direction and he threw himself to one side, only being grazed by it instead of being pierced. His dodge however landed him in the path of Blackstar's icy blast. Despite the cold plastering a layer of ice over his skin, he made a stabbing lunge at Blackstar, the blade sinking into the human's flesh.

Jeremiah's blade struck true, slicing deeply into Gorta's stomach. As Jeremiah pulled it free, Gorta grabbed at the wound, blood pouring between his fingers. He coughed then grinned, blood staining his teeth, "That's all you've got? Those Orcs' stings were far more painful!" He swung his club wildly in the air and smashed it at Jeremiah.

The sellsword casually bent away from the hammer, only allowing it to land a glancing blow. He shook his head and let out a deep sigh, disappointed he wasn't up against a more adept opponent, then entered into a series of moves designed to get around the heavier weapon and let the blade taste blood.

OOC:
Dartthrower takes 6 damage (1 miss from Nyil and 5 from Blackstar)
Gorta takes 7 damage and is staggered
Sellsword takes 1 damage (1 miss from Inidrill)

Blackstar takes 4 damage from the dartthrower

@Inidrill, if Elven Grace is equal to or lower than the esc. die, you get an additional standard action, so if you trigger it, it's not an automatic hit. You'll need to roll to attack again if that's how you want to use that action.

Escalation Die is at 3, so be sure to add it to your attack rolls!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1136446/Escalation3.jpg

Rolls

Dartthrower vs Blackstar AC (4 damage) - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Gorta vs Jeremiah AC (4 damage) - (1d20+5)

(11) + 5 = 16

Sellsword vs Inidrill AC (5 damage) - (1d20+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Jul 3, 2015 10:00 pm
Having had little luck with her ranged attacks, Nyíl decides that it's time to get up close and personal. Stowing her bow, she draws her sword and charges the dart thrower. "Laugh at this, Moron!"

Rolls

Melee Attack Roll [+5 DEX/LVL +3 ED] - (1d20+8)

(15) + 8 = 23

Damage[+3 STR] - (1d6+3)

(4) + 3 = 7

Jul 4, 2015 1:40 am
Inidrill balks at the audacity of this mercenary, looking down his lowborn nose at her makes her want to break it! Again her hammer seeks the man.

((Right about the racial power of course. The site dropped one of my second attack roll. I didn't notice or I would have posted an edit about it. Irrelevant anyway since the d6 came up above the escalation die.))

Rolls

Polearm attack vs sellsword - (1d20+6)

(13) + 6 = 19

Damage roll - (1d10+5)

(5) + 5 = 10

Elven Grace - (1d6)

(5) = 5

Jul 4, 2015 3:52 pm
"BLARRRGH!" The noise that issues from Blackstar's mouth resembles a belch from the maw of hell itself! Gorta and the sellsword are caught in the blast of what smells like gas from all the cesspools of the Abyss that issues forth. Blackstar tumbles into the air, spinning like a leaf.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/3b/31/10/3b31105f6eb8c90a4661c4d927abc8cf.jpg
OOC:

As per the random rolls bellow, we have the following effects:
-Gorta & the sellsword are caught in the blast (17 vs PD)
-If hit, Gorta takes 16 damage & is dazed (save ends)
-If hit, Sellsword takes 16 damage & is confused until the end of Blackstar's next turn
-Blackstar gains flight until the end of his next turn.
Last edited July 6, 2015 4:42 am

Rolls

Blarrrrgh! attack vs. PD - (1d20+8)

(9) + 8 = 17

Number of enemies targeted - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Spell Damage - (3d6+4)

(525) + 4 = 16

Additional random effect from Blarrrgh - (1d4)

(1) = 1

Random effect Attacking Warp - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Blaargh random effect vs 2nd target - (1d4)

(4) = 4

Jul 6, 2015 5:30 am
As Gorta swung his club wildly at him, Jeremiah effortlessly parried it aside as he tapped his enemy's face with his shield and shouted, "Say what? I thought you were too busy kissing the troll!"

As he steps back to take the defensive, Jeremiah instantly takes a whiff of Blackstar's gas and shouts at him, "Damn you, infernal horror! Take your sewage spew out in the forest, not in front of me!"

[ OOC: Dang, I forgot about my Counter-Attack talent; not that it triggered yet anyway :) natural even attack triggers Defensive Fighting, I have 21 AC for a round :) ]
Last edited July 6, 2015 5:41 am

Rolls

Dwarven Steel Schiavona (Attack) - (1d20+6)

(4) + 6 = 10

(4) + 2 = 6

Jul 7, 2015 1:34 am
Nyil's sword pierced the dartthrower as his back was turned from her. The shock barely registered as he was so intently focused on Blackstar and the horrific stench that emanated from his mouth. As Blackstar began floating into the air, the dartthrower thrust his dagger at the man, sinking the blade to its hilt before withdrawing it sharply. The lunge pulled him off Nyil's sword and he finally recognized the pain. He spun around and slashed her with his dagger.

The abominable smell overpowered the senses of Gorta and his eyes rolled up into the back of his head in agony. Clawing at his throat, he let out a choked scream. Jeremiah's shield bashed him to the ground, where he lay, twitching a few times before breathing his last.

The sellsword hacked and coughed at the putrid odor and completely forgot he was in a duel. He bent double, trying to blink away the bloody tears that were filling his eyes. He never saw the hammer that swung down at his skull, but he immediately collapsed under its fell blow.

OOC:
Dartthrower takes 7 damage and is staggered
Gorta takes 16 damage and is dead
Sellsword takes 26 damage and is dead

Nyil takes 4 damage
Blackstar takes 4 damage

Blackstar, your next spell type is Iconic and is associated with the Crusader.

Escalation Die is at 4. Be sure to add that to your attack rolls!
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1136446/Escalation4.jpg

Rolls

Dartthrower vs Blackstar AC (opportunity attack) (4 damage) - (1d20+4)

(11) + 4 = 15

Dartthrower vs Nyil AC (4 damage) - (1d20+4)

(14) + 4 = 18

Iconic Spell Type - (1d12)

(2) = 2

Jul 7, 2015 2:40 am
Grimacing from the slash of the dart thrower's blade, Nyíl, determined to end this once and for all, attempts to run him through with her sword.

Rolls

Melee Attack Roll [+5 DEX/LVL +4 ED] - (1d20+9)

(12) + 9 = 21

Damage[+3 STR] - (1d6+3)

(2) + 3 = 5

Jul 7, 2015 12:43 pm
Inidrill triumphantly lifts her weapon back into striking position but spares little more than a moment to savor the victory before turning on the next foe. She closes in on the dart thrower to assist Nyil.

Rolls

Polearm attack vs dart thrower - (1d20+11)

(18) + 11 = 29

Damage roll - (1d10+5)

(4) + 5 = 9

Elven Grace - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Polearm attack (if dart thrower is still standing) - (1d20+11)

(20) + 11 = 31

second damage roll - (1d10+5)

(1) + 5 = 6

Jul 9, 2015 9:06 am
Jeremiah looked at the putrid corpse that was once Gorta, and sighed. "I thought you'd be worthy of being a prized trophy. Still, want not, waste not." He proceeded to wipe the blood off his schiavona, bring out one of his obsidian daggers, and spend some time carefully scalping and looting Gorta's body.
Jul 10, 2015 11:49 am
Blackstar lands with a thud on top of Firigin's strange building. Nyil and Inidrill seem to have overwhemled the dartthrower and so the chaos mage floats down to the front door and starts knocking politely. "Yoohoo! Firigin? Anybody home?"
Jul 10, 2015 9:19 pm
The dartthrower's body collapsed on the Nyil's blade and he coughed up blood. Inidrill's hammer smashed into his back, shattering vertebrae. The limp body slid from the blade and lay still.

Blackstar's question was answered by a small peephole appearing in the door and a muffled voice calling out, "Who are you and what do you want?.......and why, in heaven's sake, is that little gnome scalping Gorta? He was a good man!"

OOC:
Inidrill, give me a Wisdom check. It's a d20+Wis+Lvl+(background appropriate to finding things)
Jul 11, 2015 12:38 am
((Using Elven Orphan..this covers survival instinct stuff...noticing useful things and such.))

Rolls

Searching - (1d20+6)

(12) + 6 = 18

Jul 13, 2015 4:57 am
Just as Inidrill was delivering the final blow, she noticed the dartthrower reaching into his jacket and grab at something that glinted in the bright light.
Jul 13, 2015 6:27 am
Inidrill uses her weapon to flip the former dart thrower over. The item she saw him reaching for may have been dangerous so she takes all prudent precaution to investigate.

"What is this I wonder? she says as prods the dead man's jacket open to get a better look.
Jul 13, 2015 9:40 pm
The jacket flaps open and a small vial filled with a purple fluid rolls free. Stooping to pick it up for a closer look, Inidrill finds an Orcish word printed across the glass. She instantly recognizes the script and knows it to mean, "Heals."

OOC:
This is an Adventurer Tier Healing potion (+1d8 to your recovery roll)
Jul 14, 2015 2:16 am
"Well, to the victor, I suppose!" The tall elf finishes examining the vial and slips it into her pouch, not hiding it, just securing it, then turns to the structure where Black star and their quarry are conversing.
"The loss of any life is regrettable, but this 'good man' was ready to kill you, and us I might say. Though I find it distasteful I will not deny Jeremiah his customs. Please open the door and so that we may speak civilly without shouting. Our needs are urgent!"
Jul 14, 2015 2:32 am
Not wanting to appear as a threat to whoever is behind the door, Nyíl quickly wipes the blood from her sword before sheathing it. She moves besides Inidrill and gives her a quick tap with her scabbard in appreciation for the nice finish on the dart thrower.
Jul 14, 2015 6:00 am
Jeremiah faced the mysterious voice. "I'm taking a part of him because he is a good human." Wiping the scalp on the nearby grass before placing it in his pockets, he continued. "It's only fair that I keep memories fresh by keeping a part of him close."

He stares blankly to the distance as he strokes the face on his shield.
Jul 14, 2015 11:48 am
Blackstar sists don on Firigin's porch, humming tunelessly.
Jul 15, 2015 3:19 am
Inidrill acknowledges Nyil as well and calls out again, "Open the door, please Master Firigin. We have urgent business."
Jul 16, 2015 2:05 am
The muffled voice answered Inidrill, "Ah yes, he did try to kill me didn't he? But that was no fault of his own - no, he and I got along swell! It was that woman's doing! Nadda, whom that odd man transformed into a pile of bones. Curious work that. Consider me impressed!"

He paused to hear Jeremiah's answer and replied, "Curiouser and curiouser! Keeping a person's memories fresh by removing their scalp? That would be a fascinating research project....problematic though, for who would volunteer to be a test subject? Hmm, perhaps the Lich King would sponsor such an endeavor..."

The door suddenly swung open and a lanky man stepped out into the sunlight. He blinked once at each of you then his face split into a wide grin. The sunlight reflected off his teeth in much the same way as the dome, making it hard to stare too long at his face. "Urgent business is it? You all have absolutely piqued my curiosity, and I must sate it. Besides, you took care of a pesky problem for me...namely how to convince these four to leave. Haha - you forced them to leave....just not in the way they might have imagined! Please, please, come inside!"

As you enter the dome, it was surprisingly well light considering how much light was being reflected away from it. A long work bench was mounted to the circular wall, and another bench encircled a spiral staircase leading to an upper room. Strewn across the benches were a wide variety of odds and ends, tools, projects in various stages of completion and parchments covered in sketches. He waved you toward a number of stools placed at the workbenches and hopped on one himself. He flashed another incredibly bright grin at you before asking, "What urgent business brings you to my door? And what perfect timing I might say!"
Jul 16, 2015 8:10 am
Letting the others do the talking, Blackstar amuses himself by examining the various curiosities on Firigin's workbench, particularly any mechanical-looking ones.
Jul 16, 2015 3:16 pm
Indigo Sharpe. Where is he?" Inidrill states, looking directly into the man's eyes, ready to dissect his words for truth, should he try to obscure it.
Jul 17, 2015 2:50 pm
Nyíl keeps a watch on the rest of the room as she awaits the man to answer Inidrill.
Jul 19, 2015 6:59 pm
Firigin's white smile disappeared the moment 'Inigo Sharpe' crossed Inidrill's lips. He glanced toward the door then back at Inidrill before coolly replying, "Inigo is dead. Been dead ever since his tower exploded in flames." He crossed his arms then asked, "Your interest in Sharpe curiously coincides with another's inquiry. Who sent you on this wild goose chase and why?"
Jul 19, 2015 10:34 pm
"Not much of a liar, this one." Nyíl thinks to herself as she slowly rolls her eyes before continuing to scan the room.
Jul 20, 2015 1:57 am
"The Druid, in all her wisdom, declares you false. She has told us you are wrong. The Orc Lord knows it as well and is sending his troops to drag you back to him where they will torture you until you tell them what they want to know.
Last edited July 20, 2015 1:57 am
Jul 21, 2015 9:57 pm
Seeing that he wasn't shamming anyone, Firigin slumped his shoulders, "I don't know how the word got out, but you're right. The Orc Lord knows it, and if The Druid knows as well, then the whole world will soon know!" He took a deep breathe then blurted, "Inigo Sharpe isn't dead, well, not really! There, I said it. And you know what? It feels good to get it off my chest. He had been hinting to me that he had found a way to cheat death and it wasn't until his tower exploded that I believed him." He paused for a moment then leaned toward Inidrill and peered intently into her eyes, "But why are you looking for him? Or rather, why is The Druid looking for him? And why should I help you?"
Jul 23, 2015 7:43 am
Jeremiah tapped one of Firigin's thighs. "Derros made of steel, saying something like 'Above as Below' or something like that. Probably going to come here eventually, wreck this place up even better than I would've on a drunken fit. Know anything about them, maybe help us make sure your safe little haven stays safe?"
Jul 26, 2015 7:17 pm
Firigin looked down at the little gnome tapping on his leg and cocked his head, "Curious. Derros made of steel? I wouldn't know much about that...." He crossed his arms and tapped one of his brilliantly white eye-teeth. "Hmmm...couldn't be a simple construct, for they could easily be dealt with by swords and spells." He hopped off his stool and began pacing and muttering to himself, "The High Druid sent them to find Inigo to help with this matter...he did have a knack for making mechanical devices exceed expectations. Ha! You mean when he actually completed them! But what would he do to help this situation? Above as below? Wrecking this place? Did that blasted man help create these steel creatures, and that's why they want to find him? Curiouser and curiouser. And how are they going to find him, when no one knows where he is? A locating spell? No - if it were that simple, they wouldn't be here bothering you, now would they? Hmm...there's always the boat, but there's no guarantee it will work...or that it even still works."

He stopped his pacing and banged a fist against his forehead, "Blast! I have too many unanswered questions. My curiousity demands answers! I will be honest with you. I don't know where Inigo is. And the only way I know to find him is a boat I made....or should I say copied....or tried to copy. He had been hired to make a boat that would always find the owner - seems the mistress was worried about him dying at sea and wanted a way to always find him or his body. Anyway, after the explosion and Inigo disappeared, I made a copy of the boat, but attuned to Inigo in the hopes I could track him down. The boat never took me anywhere, so I knew he wasn't near water....or that it just didn't work. And I couldn't figure out how to adapt the magics to work on a cart. But much time has passed since then, and perhaps it does work after all and will aid you better than I."

He looked around the room, "That's all I can do to help you find him. Would you like me to show you the boat? It's just a short walk from here....but first! As you can tell," he flashed you a huge grin and waved at the dome above them, "I am especially adept at making things whiter and brighter! - I could drastically improve some of your equipment or smiles if you'd like. I'll even cut you a deal since you took care of that pesky woman for me. What do you say?"
Jul 26, 2015 7:32 pm
Nyíl, hoping to get on Firigin's good side in case future assistance may be needed, draws a blood stained dagger from its scabbard. "Elk-horn dagger, used to be white a long time ago. What would it cost to clean it up?"
Jul 27, 2015 4:15 am
Following Nyil's lead, Blackstar points at his battered & dirty space suit. "Well this used to be bright white!"
Jul 27, 2015 3:22 pm
"A grand adventure indeed. My weapon is clean however, but if you are offering to enhance it somehow...I have no objections."
Aug 3, 2015 11:46 pm
"Ah, yes! Excellent specimens!" He grabbed a set of tongs from the workbench and delicately took Nyil's dagger. He pulled it close to his face and bared his teeth, light immediately bathing the blood-stained steel in white light. He squinted at it, twisting it around, "I dare say, you have taken very poor care of your blade, but I am sure it is not past saving." He moved to Blackstar, walking around him and tugging at the dirty suit, "Fascinatingly curious! I have never in my life seen such strange material! Where did you get it?"

He cast a dubious glance from the dagger in the tongs to Inidrill's polearm, "Clean? I'll be the judge of that, but it will be clean when I am done with it. I will absolutely enhance it! It will be marvelous, magnificent, absolutely majestic! This dagger is small enough I can be done with it tonight, that polearm in three days, and that suit! That may take a week or two.....but before you commit, let us discuss payment."

He moved to the workbench and placed the dagger on a small stand, and tapped the tongs against his leg while he stared up at the ceiling, "Hmm...payment...." he looked at them, "My...ahem...previous employers gave me an ample sum of gold in advance, so I am in no need of gold at the moment. What else might you have to offer?"

OOC: 13th Age puts very little emphasis on gold or currency, as there's usually a better story involved in other methods of payment. I'll leave it to you to decide what your character has that might be of worth. This might also be a good time to cash in on a 5 or 6 of your Icon Relationship rolls - remember that a 6 gives you a straight-up benefit, and while you get a benefit from a 5, it adds a complication of some sort.
Aug 4, 2015 4:56 am
The thought of a grinning troll shield proved too good to pass up. "I'd like you to put a smile on Urgaden's face please," Jeremiah said, with a huge smile on his face. "What exactly should we do with the woman?"
Aug 4, 2015 5:52 pm
Blackstar cleared his throat. "I don't think we can spare a week, nor three days. But I would be glad to come back here and see what you can do for my suit once this present business is over. What we really need right now is your help finding Iñigo Sharpe. I don't doubt your boat will be a big help. If there's anything more then we would be most grateful. As for payment, well..." He looked around the cluttered workshop.

A wise man by the name of Clarke from Blackstar's home world had once said, 'Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.' Blackstar knew what to offer Firigin. From the wizard's worktable the former astronaut picked up a liquid-filled glass jar with a metal band around the bottom and a delicate chain sticking out of its stopper.

"I could show you a thing or two. See here, your capacitor-"
"I call that a lightning jar. Be careful, it's very-"
"Your lightning jar would hold a stronger charge if you threw out the salt water and lined BOTH the inside and the outside with silver." Blackstar made the changes he described before the wizard could protest. He then picked up a piece of amber from the table and began rubbing it against his sleeve.
"Now you charge the jar with the amber and then-"
By then Firigin had rushed over to stop the crazy mage messing with his equipment. His hand closed on the contraption's chain and he received a tremendous electrical shock that made his hair stand on end! He turned glazed eyes towards Blackstar and his face split to reveal his blinding smile. Clapping his hands, he cried, "That's a far stronger charge than I have ever managed!"
Last edited August 4, 2015 6:22 pm
Aug 7, 2015 1:47 pm
In awe, Firigin gently took the lightning jar from Blackstar and carefully examined it, "...line both sides with silver....charge it with amber? Curious! Who knew such power could come from such a small rock! I doubt even the brilliant Sharpe would be able to replicate such a device! Imagine if I were to....." He looked up, "You have given me a wondrous gift! In exchange, I will make the improvements I promised - but if you don't want to leave your equipment here, then we will have to wait until you complete your quest."

He walked over to Jeremiah and bent over and smiled at the troll on his shield, "My imagination buzzes with the possibilities of what I could do with this!" Straightening, he answered, "I will take care of Nadda's bones. I doubt there is any residual magic imbued in them, but you never know who may have laced a spell or two through them."

Still cradling the jar in one arm, he gestured toward the stairs with the other, "Dusk is not far off - you are welcome to stay the night here, or I could take you to the boat post-haste. It is about an hour's walk from here."
Aug 8, 2015 2:30 am
"That is a conundrum. The Druid's request seems urgent. Can we wait?"
Aug 8, 2015 4:04 pm
"While staying the night does sound welcoming, I think we should pass and get about our journey as soon as possible. Could you take us to the boat now?"
Aug 10, 2015 10:31 am
Jeremiah sighed. He's still miffed at the thought of leaving his favorite shield behind, but there's a task to be done if he's to get that Urgaden smiling. He straightened himself up and spoke, "The sooner we find this witch and deal with her, the better. What could go wrong?"

He looked at Blackstar, then thought to himself Oh crud.
Aug 20, 2015 1:31 pm
That sounds agreeable. Let us move on."
Aug 23, 2015 3:06 am
The brightness of Firgin's smile waned as it drooped, "Ah, well, perhaps we shall meet again, and I will be able to work my wonders on your accoutrements." He set the lightning jar on the workbench, carelessly took Nyil's dagger from the stand, and tossed it to her as he walked out the door, "The boat is this way!"

He led you to the nearby waters edge and started to trudge along in a mostly eastern direction. It was almost an hour before you came upon a series of shallow inlets. He waded through two and stopped at the third for a long moment, looking deeper inland and tapping on his chin. Shaking his head, he led you to the fourth, and after wading to the center of the inlet, turned his back to the sun beginning to dip into the sea and continued along for another couple hundred yards. At a tree with a number of branches hanging low over the water, he stopped abruptly and pointed at it, "There it is!"

He flashed a bright grin at them then laughed, "Haha! I see by your confused countenances that you lack understanding. I forced...ahem....requested some spells from a pesky gnome who owed me a favor. Might I say, I have met few gnomes whom I like? No, don't take offense, sir Jeremiah. Rest assured, you and your shield are well within my graces! And yet I am sure you are well aware of the trouble and annoyances those of your culture are capable of causing!"

He waved toward the tree again, "This particular gnome, Bilni I think his name was, had created a most curious set of illusion spells. They were impervious to detection and only dropped when someone nearby shouted out a secret they would rather leave unsaid. As I had to reveal all my secrets in the casting of the spell, I will leave it to one of you to drop the illusion so I can show you how to operate the fine craftsmanship of my boat!" He flashed another grin and waited expectantly.
Aug 26, 2015 11:05 am
Firigin's words are met with a long, awkward silence. All that could be heard was the rippling of water and the buzzing of insects flying lazily by.

In the end it is Blackstar who breaks the silence, startling everyone. "Well, I've never admitted this to anyone, but I think 'Twilight' was actually pretty good. Honestly I don't get what the deal is with all the Edward hate." As the mage reveals this secret, his skin, white despite the faint flush from the battle fought earlier that day, literally sparkles, like thousands of tiny diamonds were embedded in the surface.
Last edited August 26, 2015 11:53 am
Aug 26, 2015 9:59 pm
Nyíl gives Blackstar an awkward look as he prattles on about some apparent shared nightmare he had in the past. "What are you on ab...." she stops mid sentence, and stares at the brilliance that is Blackstar's skin.
Aug 28, 2015 1:50 am
Firigin looked back at the tree as Blackstar began sharing his secret and when nothing happened to the spell, he shook his head, "No - you must SHOUT your secret. None of this simply stating things. It doesn't work like that. You must be proud of your secret, though why you would be ashamed of not hating another fellow is beyond me. But I suppose that's why it's not my secret." Firigin shifted his eyes to Blackstar to ensure he would try again with more gusto then jumped, startled at the transformation that had taken place. Forgetting all about the tree and boat, he excitedly splashed to Blackstar's side and thrust his face at a bare section of skin. Staring at the sparkles dancing across the surface, he cooed, "Curious...no, positively fascinating!" A blade slid from a hidden sheath into his hand and he looked up, "I must have a sample! Just a few square inches should suffice...."
Aug 28, 2015 1:54 am
Nyíl steps forward, trying to move herself between Firigin and Blackstar. "Let's not start slicing into people, we have work that needs to be done!"
Aug 28, 2015 6:31 am
Blackstar uses one of his tentacles to push Firigin's knife away. He bites his lip, turns his face up, eyes closed. His diamond skin sparkles even more brilliantly. He yells, as if in anguish, "I love 'Twilight'! I LOVE IT! It's simply the greatest love story of all time! Oh, Bella..." The mage is too choked up with emotion to say more.
Last edited August 28, 2015 7:16 am
Aug 31, 2015 10:14 pm
Firigin pulled back and sheathed his blade disappointed, then looked excitedly at the tree as Blackstar's secret rang out. At the sound of his outcry, the leaves of the trees began rustling under the pressure of an unfelt wind. The wind grew in strength and the leaves were torn from the tree, taking to the sky and whirling around and around. First twigs, then whole branches joined the tempest. Roots were pulled up through the water and earth, taking to the sky before the entire tree dissolved and was taken away by the whirlwind. Where it had been lay a simple, white boat.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/1136446/WhiteBoat.jpg

Firigin grinned, "I never get tired of seeing that. To tell you the truth, that's the real reason I no longer have any secrets to tell. I would set the spell then release it over and over. Absolutely fascinating." He pointed to the boat, "As you can see, there are no sails, oars, or tiller - this boat is driven completely by the the magics I imbued into it! You simply sit there and sing the Ballad of the Stone Girl. As I informed you earlier, it was tuned to Inigo, so if he's anywhere near water, this boat will take you right to him! Isn't it a wondrous thing?"

OOC: Jeremiah, you remember hearing that song be sung by Shivoln Thunderbellows as he hammered out the iron in his forge.
Aug 31, 2015 10:54 pm
"Looks to be a tight fit, but we should all be able to make the trip!" Nyíl says enthusiastically as she climbs into the mighty vessel.
Last edited August 31, 2015 10:55 pm
Sep 1, 2015 10:48 am
Jeremiah nonchalantly slides towards the boat. Looks rather snug if you ask me, he thought to himself.

He makes sure that he sits right next to Blackstar, because he learned that oftentimes the safest place to be is at the place where "safe" is least likely to take place.
Sep 1, 2015 12:29 pm
Blackstar is sitting in the stern, singing "Row, row, row your boat, gently down the stream..."
Sep 7, 2015 6:45 pm
Firigin slapped his hand to his forehead and shook his head, "Oy! You people are terrible at following directions. First you whisper your secrets when you should shout them, then you sing about rowing your boat instead of singing the Ballad. Surely you know it, yes? The last time I was in Axis, even the street urchins were singing it. Granted, it was a horrible rendition, but nonetheless!" He breathed a deep sigh, "I am no prima donna, but I will sing it for you to remind you of how it goes." Closing his eyes, he tapped his hand against his thigh to keep time and began:

A maid there was who dwelt alone
Beside a cold and laughing stream --
Which ran from distant, silent stones
Between the mountains and the sea.

A man there was who wandered far
O'er many long and tireless leagues,
And followed many erring stars

They met beside the laughing brook,
And loved each other tenderly --
There pledged their troth and took their oath

"Nevermore away I'll roam,"
He swore and kissed her tenderly,
"But here will dwell amid the stones
Between the mountains and the sea."

"And here I'll dwell no more alone,
And from your side I will not flee.
Beside this brook we'll build our home --
Between the mountains and the sea."

But wand'ring sickness took the man --
Of lands beyond that quiet lee --
And far away at last he faired
Beyond the mountains and the sea.

The maiden still, she waits alone,
Beside a cold and silent stream,
And stands as cold as a standing stone

And there she waits and keeps her oath
Until her love o'er tireless leagues
Will come again and find her stone

As the song went on, the sound of the tapping blossomed in Jeremiah's mind, and he was reminded of his time in the forge. Hammer had clanged against anvil and the bellows had whooshed air in time with the tune that had flowed from Shivoln's gruff voice.

At the third verse, Jeremiah began singing along with Firigin, and the boat shuddered to life. When the last note of the song dissipated in cool, evening air, the boat scraped along the shore of the stream until the natural buoyancy of the craft took over. It slid into the water and began to coast toward the sea. Behind them, Firigin began jumping up and down excitedly, "It works! It works! I'm a genius!" He stopped his splashing as the realization that Inigo must be alive settled in. A thoughtful expression crossed his face and he called out, "Bring Inigo back to me as I have some questions for him! Good luck!"

He faded into the darkness as the distance between him and the boat grew and the sun finally set. The boat continued a good pace, the prow cutting a small wake in the water, as it carried its cargo unerringly out to sea.

OOC: We're going to do another travel montage, so the next round of posts will need to be in this order:

1. Jeremiah
2. Nyil
3. Blackstar

#1 will need to provide a situation you all encounter on your way to wherever Inigo is. #2 will provide the solution to #1 and a situation for #3, and so on. #1 will post last and provide the solution to #3.

Also, give me another round of Icon Relationship rolls.

I have to give a shout-out to my friend, Richard, for penning the ballad.
Sep 14, 2015 4:00 am
As dawn approached, silhouettes of about half a dozen ships appeared over the horizon; they seemed to be stuck in place, blocking the path of our vessel. With the ship coming closer, and the sun shedding more light, Jeremiah saw a seagull whipped out of the sky; living predatory seaweed! They were covering all the ships, trying to drag them into the waters.

Rolls

Icon Relationship Roll (Dwarf King) - (2d6)

(24) = 6

Sep 18, 2015 1:11 am
Trying to change course Nyíl tries to guide the boat by frantically rowing with her sword but quickly realizes the futility of her plan. "This boat will take us to our death for sure."

She watches in the distance as some of the larger ships start to break apart. The seaweed, apparently satisfied with the destruction of the ships (and a few struggling sailors), seems to ignore the smaller wreckage and the already dead bodies. "I've got a crazy idea..." she yells to the others "...let's flip this boat over, it should still float and trap enough air underneath for us to breath. Just hang on tight!"

The others start to rock left-to-right and within a minute the boats flips over with the party hanging underneath. Quietly as possible she whispers to the others "Don't make a sound and DO NOT MOVE. We want this stuff to think we're just casualties and no longer play things." The magic boat continues on its path, unmolested by the seaweed.

After the longest ten minutes she has ever endured Nyíl slips out from under the boat and looks back as the seaweed continues its destruction. She signals to the others that they're safe and the group sets about righting the boat. Once on board the party continues their journey.
A few hours pass by as everyone spends the time drying off and checking on their equipment as the boat continues on its path. Looking up at the blue sky Nyíl is lost in her thoughts as when she notices a strange smell, faint at first, but quickly growing stronger. Suddenly a gray mist envelopes the boat and everyone starts to choke...
Last edited September 18, 2015 3:18 am

Rolls

Positive Relationship Roll [High Druid] - (1d6, 1d6)

1d6 : (6) = 6

1d6 : (5) = 5

Negative Relationship Roll [Crusader] - (1d6)

(1) = 1

Sep 25, 2015 5:32 pm
Blackstar reaches for the breathing filters in his helmet before remembering they stopped working weeks ago. The strange greasy mist clings to their skin and clothing and the smell is unbearable! The mage racks his brain for a way to rid the party of it, "If only I could wash this off...or burn it! If only this boat had a signal flare!" Only a madman would have thought that last. Thinking it, Blackstar hears a familiar sound in his ears...a great roaring, as if of a furious wind buffeted by colossal wings...his skin turns scaly and shines like gold...he thrusts his hand into the air, fingers curled like talons, and a manifests a great fiery claw. It ignites the mist surrounding them, burning their skin and their lungs. Blackstar has saved them but almost killed them in the process! As the companions lie in the small boat, moaning in pain, the mad mage gathers power to himself again and sends out healing energies to all. Their wounds are cured, but at a price: as each one heals they also sprout a strange eye, limb or appendage. The hideous growths make them wonder if they would rather have died in the mist. Mysteriously, when they awake the next day, they find that the deformities have disappeared. Blackstar sits shivering and muttering softly to himself. His breath comes out in icy puffs. As far as anyone can tell, the sea has frozen over.

Rolls

Negative relationship roll: Diabolist - (1d6)

(4) = 4

Positive relationship roll: Archmage - (1d6)

(2) = 2

Conflicted relationship roll: Great Gold Wyrm - (1d6)

(3) = 3

Oct 1, 2015 11:44 pm
Jeremiah scoured the horizon, his breath puffing white smoke as the shivering morn was brightened by the sun.

This is ridiculous, thought Jeremiah. At this rate, we'll never get anywhere!

Then he had an idea. He jumped overboard and began alternating between cracking the ice with his daggers and/or schiavona, and pulling at the raft. He figured that the boat would resist going where it wasn't supposed to go, so based on that, he was able to make sure that they were going the right way.
Oct 2, 2015 7:48 pm
The going was slow, as the ice quite thick, but it soon became easier and easier for Jeremiah to hack this way through the ice. When his foot stepped through the shell and into the frigid waters, he knew it was time to climb aboard again. With the boat full, it cut through the softening ice, and after a time of coasting through slush, the boat was in the clear waters, tacking a straight line farther and farther into the sea.

OOC: I'll be starting up a new thread for Chapter 2

You do not have permission to post in this thread.