Chapter 1.0 - Rio Grande City

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 18, 2015 1:11 pm
The town of Rio Grande City is part town and part military base being hastily constructed. All around you hear the sounds of industry, sawing, hammering, yelling, and the complaints of horses. You smell grease, sawdust, horse manure, and human sweat. People bustle about their own tasks, carrying building materials, tending to equipment, loading and unloading wagons, soldiers marching down the street, or standing about smoking. The assault on your senses nearly overwhelms you, and you probably pause like a podunk lout on the city’s edge before stepping into the chaos. Still, for all the busy-ness, you can tell now, that these people are almost all sleepers, maybe just like you used to be, and because of that, this town will never be built, never change from how it is.

There are a number of bawdy houses, little more than temporary sheds or bathhouses, and two newly built, two-story hotels with lower level saloons. Stores, barbers, carpenters, stables and unmarked offices fill the downtown area. Surrounding it, sawmills, tanneries, livestock corrals, and residential homes crowd the area. Off to the south, you can see the Rio Grande, and beyond that Mexico. To the east, you can see the burgeoning Fort Ringgold, the center of activity of the soldiers.

You were asked to meet Louis Garderose here on June 4, 1851. Arriving, you are unsure of whether or not he has a home here, resides at a hotel, or maybe even Fort Ringgold.
Describe how you made your way to Rio Grande City, when you arrived, and how you tracked Louis Garderose to the Blue Bell Hotel.
May 18, 2015 10:30 pm
Quickfeet Buckholtz was on his way to Rio Grande anyway, having to bring in an escaped prisoner back to this city. Travelling by horse, he dropped off his charge at the Sheriff's and asks a few questions about Louis. It didn't take Quickfeet long to figure out which hotel he was staying at; one look at the name Blue Bell, he knew it would be where Louis would be.
May 19, 2015 12:22 am
Diego tries to shake the water from his hair as he reaches down and picks up his sombrero. "Señor Garderose, what would drive a man such as yourself to hire someone like me? And who the hell slid that card into my pocket?" he mumbles to himself as he mounts up. Straining to recall the events of the previous night Diego seems to remember it as a series of repeating events, images flash through his head, but nothing is clear. Shaking his head once more he jingles Diablo's reins and spurs his companion onward.

After a long and dusty trip, Diego finds himself on the outskirts of Rio Grande City. Pulling his sombrero low, hoping to hide his face, he trots into town and takes in his surroundings. Spotting what appears to a be a saloon Diego lets his urge for drink overtake good reason as he whispers to Diablo, "I think I could use a drink!" Keeping his sombrero low as he enters the saloon, he walks up to the bar and orders a whiskey. But before the bar keep can even turn around, the sound of a gun cocking directly behind his ear grabs Diego's full attention.

"Now, you wouldn't happen to be that bandito Rey we've all been hearing so much about, would ya?"

"Easy, Gringo. I'm here for honest work at the request of Señor Garderose. Check my coat pocket and you'll find my invitation."

The man reaches into Diego's coat pocket and retrieves the card. As he examines it another man joins him and as Diego drinks his whiskey he can hear a hushed conversation behind him. Apparently convinced that Diego is telling the truth about his intentions he returns his card to him and says, "Ol' Louis is up to something. You're not the only questionable hire he's sent for. You can find him over at the Blue Bell."

Pausing the man gets up nice and close and whispers, "Once you're done helping the old man, we're coming for you, Rey!"

Getting up from the stool Diego tips his hat towards the man, "I look forward to it, Amigo. Use the extra time to gather a couple more friends." Laughing he spins on his heels and walks out the door. "Come, Diablo, let's find this Blue Bell place and talk with Señor Garderose."

OOC: I love the interwebz: Mexican Horse Names
May 19, 2015 7:34 am
The colonel arrives by train. He steps off the wagon and stands still on the platform, scanning the area with squinting eyes taking every detail in. After minutes he walks over to the counter of the station manager/telegraph office and checks all the wanted posters.
He asks the clerk about the facilities and layout of the town letting the man talk wihile he stares at him. After a while he slips the intimidatedly babbeling man a bank note and walks off without another word.

He takes a walk around town, visits the sheriff's office exchanging a few more friendly words and learning about the situation in town and also stating his business and checking for more wanted posters.

Then he gets offers from at least two rental stables in case he needs a horse later, takes a look into every saloon in town, checking out the clientel and getting some rumors from the barkeeps. He carefully drops the name of the strange old man in the conversation here and there not to make it obvious that he is looking fo the stranger. Also he now has three street urchins in his employment to get the latest news. After half an hour he should be aware of any notable strangers and important people in town.

He memorizes the most important shops in town and finally ends his tour of the town at the reception desk of the Blue Bell. He gets a room, pays three days in advance and for a generous tip also the room number of his "business partner" while his stare strongly suggests not to ask questions. The Colonel makes very few words but always displays the very best manners.
He slips the card he recieved under the door of the old man's room to announce himself.

He gets to the room, has a bath prepared and relaxes in the water with a pipe. Then takes out a clothes brush and meticulously cleans the dust of the road off his black clothes and cleans both his pistol and rifle although they are already blinking in the sunlight. The equipment always has to be in perfect condition.

Later he sits on the balcony spanning around the upper floor of the hotel in front of his room and watches the streets until the sun sinks. He sleeps as always with his derringer under the pillow and a chair propped under the room and balcony door and awaits the 4th of june.

OOC: I'll subtract $5 for various tips around town and the hotel room. And hopefully I have an idea of the other new arrivals asking questions about Mr. Garderose. I just spent at least half a day on information gathering :)
May 19, 2015 1:32 pm
Before going into the Blue Bell, he goes to the nearest barber for a nice clean shave (no touching the moustache though!). Eli then goes over to the Blue Bell, ordering a drink and a warm meal. If Louis is there, he will join him; otherwise he will sit in a corner of the room to watch all those in the room and those who enter.
May 19, 2015 11:50 pm
"Be strong and of a good courage; be not afraid, neither thou be dismayed: for the Lord thy God is with thee whithersoever thou goest..." The whispers of the faithful echoed back to Clancy as he repeated this phrase from Joshua chapter one. Parsing a familiar verse was the least a man could do to ease his troubles in such an unforgiving and confusing world. Of course, that wasn't the particular issue today. Clancy simply hated trains.

The clergyman's eyes darted around the cabin, noting few worthy of his interest. A large woman draped in miscellaneous cloth, a fidgety man showing less composure than even Clancy could muster, these were the souls that would die with him were this abomination of nature to fail it's purpose. He almost missed a third individual: a gruff looking older gentleman, who seemed to be very clean and organized despite the dusty demons that surrounded this wasteland. There was a yell throughout the train alerting everyone aboard that they were approaching Rio Grande City. Thank you, Lord, Clancy thought to himself, motioning a cross over his chest before reaching into his pocket to check the letter once more. As the box of metal death came to a slow, grindy halt, Clancy watched the gentleman stand and leave the platform, and Clancy was not far behind him.

Getting into the city was no problem for a man of the church. Everyone greeted Clancy with a smile and a "welcome, Reverend!" before passing him through to the next checkpoint. Before he knew it, the bustling industrial city was expanding before his eyes. The farther he stepped into the town, the more his fist clenched around the letter in his pocket. Memories-- were they truly his?-- appeared before his mind's eyes, bringing forward the familiar pain and torment of his past life. Approaching the temple he had contacted weeks before, he stilled his anger, and entered.

Immediately Clancy was greeted by a younger man, dressed in the cloth. "Welcome, Reverend! We've been expecting you!" This gentleman seemed very excited to meet him, though Clancy thought of several reasons for him not to be.

"Thank you, son. I'd love to stay and get the story on your wonderful city, but I'm afraid I am here for a higher calling. Tell me, where can I find a..." Clancy looked down at the letter once more, though he already knew the name he was looking for. "A mister Louis Garderose?"

The boyish man dropped in gladness, his smile all but vanishing. "Ah, mister Garderose. He'd be at the Blue Bell Hotel, sir." His hands met, fingers fumbling together nervously. "But, Reverand, why would you be meeting with such a..." Another nervous pause, finished with hardly a whisper: "Such a man of questionable intentions?"

Clancy reached into his front coat pocket, retrieving a handkerchief to cough into. "Child, the Lord does not favor the wise over the wicked. We must reach out to all corners of the earth to deliver God's grace." He smiled politely and put a hand on the young man's shoulder, comforting him. "God bless you, son. Take care," he finished, walking away from the lad. Deliver God's grace... he thought as he kicked up more dust in the desert town, If this man is deserving of such a blessing. It wouldn't take him very long before he was face to face with the entrance of the Blue Bell. A quaint name for a place of such importance this day. He gathered his thoughts once more, before entering.

A common hymn entered into Clancy's mind and he conjured it into being in an almost sinister whisper of a hum. "He put a new song in my mouth... many shall see, and trust... and fear the Lord thy God..."
May 20, 2015 1:59 am
The walk to Rio Grande City was just like the old man described, just a walk over a hill. The young man repeated "Louis Garderose Rio Grande City. June 4th." like a mantra in his mind. Puzzled by the strangeness of it all, his entrance into the city was without fanfare. AJ politely returned the greetings he got from from strangers as he made his way deeper into town. The old man hadn't set a meeting place. Maybe ... AJ thought of the whiskey he had shared with the man. Maybe I'll just go get a drink. AJ caught the attention of the nearest man, "Excuse me, sir. Where might a fella get a good drink around here?" Still just a boy by some men's standards, AJ was accustomed to people being kindly enough. Often times, it was the sight of his rifle that convinced others that AJ was really a man. The way he carried it, it was like the rifle was an extension of himself, rather than a firearm or a tool.
After only a cursory glance, the man pointed down the street. "I'd say the Blue Bell Hotel should suit you fine, son."
Tipping his hat as thanks, AJ made his way down the street, looking for a sign. The word "hotel" made AJ think of Garderose. Spotting the establishment, AJ walked into the hotel lobby and made his way to the desk. Greeted by a beaming concierge, AJ couldn't help but smile back. "Hello there. I wondered if there might be a Mister Louis Garderose staying here?"
"One moment, sir." The cheery woman searched the desk and quickly found a note. "Says here you're to meet him in the bar." Looking away from the note, she flashes him at the young man. "Looks like you're right on time."
"Thank you very much, ma'am." AJ nods and heads into the bar of the Blue Bell Hotel.
May 20, 2015 2:48 am
On the night of June 4, 1851, the five of you have arrived at Rio Grande City. The evening sun has passed and night’s chill has settled on the blossoming desert. The townsfolk have mostly returned to their homes, and the days end crowd has begun to drift away from the saloons back to their bunks. A comfortable calm has embraced Rio Grande City, settling like a blanket of peace.

In the corner, a woman plays a languid flowery tune on the piano, while an elderly cowpoke leans against the side, a half-drunk glass of beer ignored in his hands, his eyes closed and swaying gently with the song. The saloon’s barkeep is taking stock of his liquor and making tallies in his ledger. A trio of young soldiers play faro at a side table near the stairs to the upper level, their money piles small enough to dissuade more seasoned gamblers from wasting their talents bucking the tiger.

Suddenly, a gunshot rings out from upstairs. An old man is flung down the hallway, and topples over the railing, landing on the faro table. Louis Garderose, covered in blood, rolls to his feet, a tiger backed playing card stuck to his bloody cheek. A hairy, humanoid creature with a canine-like face but wearing female attire, places both of its clawed hands on the railing, and snarls down at the room, before eyeing Louis Garderose cruelly, and tensing to leap over the rail and into the saloon.
{Here we’re going to roll initiative. If you character is trained or specialized in initiative, indicate so in the description of the roll. Initiative, like all rolls in The Strange, is a 1d20 without modifiers. Initiative is a speed roll, if you are looking to spend effort. If your initiative roll is greater than or equal to 12 (or 9 if trained, or 6 if specialized), then you will get to go before the creature, so describe your action. If you are unsure of the roll, simply describe what you intend to do and roll a 1d20.}
May 20, 2015 6:18 am
The Colonel had been monitoring the lower floor from the upstairs landing. His pistol at his side and his two shot derringer up his sleeve. So man and beast come crashing just by him.

Instinctively he bends his elbow and lets the Derringer slide into his hand, ready to fire. "Halt! Stand down!"

OOC: The Colonel is both trained in tactics and in initiative.
I'd like to roll tactics, too and what is find the flaw for? Can I analyze the enemy?
Last edited May 20, 2015 6:30 am

Rolls

Initiatizing - (1d20)

(6) = 6

May 20, 2015 6:34 am
Mortimer is a bit slow today... Maybe more startled than he would admit. Or just waiting for the creature to react to his call?
May 20, 2015 10:15 am
AJ hadn't been able to completely relax. Anxious to meet Mr. Garderose, the young sharpshooter kept his rifle ready on his shoulder as he sat at the bar with his back to the corner.
The commotion startled AJ into readying his rifle, aiming up at the strange creature at the railing. Only seeing a dangerous animal, AJ took the shot.

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Attack roll - (1d20)

(18) = 18

May 20, 2015 12:27 pm
"Son of a ...!", Eli mutters aloud, as this dog-beast in a dress leers downwards at Louis, drenched in the blood of the man now laying dead on the table below. Quick as anything, Eli leaps up from his chair, and in one motion dashes over to where Louis stands, turns, draws his gun and fires his heavy pistol at the beast, striking it squarely in the chest.
(OOC: Rolled 11 for initiative, but Trained. Rolled a 3 for Fleet of Foot roll, but trained in Running, so able to do a short move and an action. Rolled a 15 to hit with his gun, doing 5 points of damage – 4 for medium weapon, 1 for piercing).
EDIT OOC - forgot that I have 'find the flaw': if the enemy has a weakness, please send it to me via private message
EDIT again - not used to PBeM (been many years) and not used to Gamers Plane (never used) - didn't notice there was a dice roll function! Will use for future rolls...
Last edited May 20, 2015 5:28 pm
May 20, 2015 1:39 pm
Strange ones around these parts... Clancy hung his head low, looking into the bottom of a glass. It wasn't whiskey, to his dismay, but simply tap water. He would have liked a sip of cold milk, but in the west, that sort of luxury was a miracle to acquire. Why, he could remember like it wa--

A gunshot rang through the air as well as Clancy's mind, alerting him of danger. Not long following the unwelcome noise was a thud and thump as an older gentleman, likely the one he was here to meet, fumbled down the stairway. It was clear he had been injured some how, and after another glance at the scene Clancy could determine who the culprit might be. The elderly man, Louis, slowly came to his feet as the cat-like creature revealed itself, menacingly pouncing about. Before his mind could catch up, Clancy was already rushing towards Louis; partly to see if he was in need of medical attention and partly to defend against anything that might be threatening. "I'm a priest! Do you need treatment?!" He screamed, his hearing still not adjusted from the chaos the gunfire had caused.

OOC: Clancy has an inability regarding initiative, he rolls at an additional level higher than normal, so to him the number to beat is 15. Also, he will be taking his action moving towards Louis. If he answers "Yes," he'll roll a healing check. If he answers anything other than "Yes," Clancy will defend against whatever may come at Louis. Not sure how to do that, but I'll roll a d20 just in case. If I can't wait for Louis to respond, Clancy will simply defend.

EDIT: Oh Lord, why hast thou forsaken me? ;-;
Last edited May 20, 2015 1:40 pm

Rolls

Initiative - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Heal Check - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Defense Roll? - (1d20)

(1) = 1

May 20, 2015 9:51 pm
Diego quickly turns on his bar stool as he hears the commotion behind him and sees a bloody old man struggle to his feet. "Nothing like a good fight!" he thinks as he starts to lean back to enjoy the show before noticing the beast above.

"Dios mío! That's one hairy gringa!"

Looking about the room he sees several others prepared to take action as he draws both of his blades.

"Let's see what I can do to help" he mumbles as he starts yelling out inspirational encouragement to those who will attack the creature.
Diego will not attack, but will take an action (in whatever order it turns out) to Spin Encouragement, enabling those who are attacking to do so at one step benefit. Cost is 1 intellect for the Twist, but he has an intellect edge of 1, so it's a freebie.

Rolls

Initiative [Trained] - (1d20)

(7) = 7

May 20, 2015 11:35 pm
As the half-wolf, half-woman leaps over the top railing, AJ and Quickfeet open fire, and she takes 12 points of damage from two hits. [NOTE: unique_exemplar didn't specifically declare using Pierce. As he as a Speed Edge of 1, this would be a free extra point of damage. I'll add it in this time, but next time you'll need to specify it. 12 = 4+1 dmg from Eli, 6+1 from AJ.]

She lands beside Louis, but as Clancy Winwood clumsily got in the way, she attacks him, ferociously biting him on the collar bone. [Clancy takes 6 might damage, and you get 2 xp for the GM intrusion. You must give one of the xp to another player, and state why you chose him.]

Clancy slaps a bandage on Louis Garderose, ignoring the pain in his own shoulder. [NOTE: Healing works by choosing a number of points to heal, and making an Intellect check against that number times 3. You can only attempt this once per day per target. In this case, I'll give you a 2 point heal on Louis as that is the most that your 5 would heal - because your trained in healing, the difficulty is one step down. In the future, you'll need to specify the heal points your attempting in advance.]

He who wields the sombrero begins calling encouragement to the others, and giving advice [decreasing the difficulty of your attacks by one step].

Louis staggers backwards from the wreckage of the faro table, and holds his hands up defensively to fend off the she-wolf.

It is the colonel's turn, followed by AJ and Quickfeet. The werewolf is badly wounded and has three health remaining. No, four now, did you see that? [Perception checks with your next actions please.]
May 21, 2015 2:02 am
Never taking his sights off the strange creature, AJ takes careful aim before taking his next shot. Even if the creature drops, AJ will keep his sights on the creature until he's sure it's completely dead.
Using Pierce ability for additional damage plus spending a level of Effort on attack roll. Total Speed points spent: 3

Rolls

Attack - (1d20)

(5) = 5

Perception - (1d20)

(12) = 12

May 21, 2015 6:51 am
The colonel whirls around as the creature jumps over the railing and shoots his Derringer.

"A skinwalker! Use silver!" he shouts.

Rolls

Shoot light weapon (trained) - (1d20)

(3) = 3

May 21, 2015 11:22 am
"Who the heck carries silver bullets?", Eli yells. (Ooc: I assume no one would).

He fires off another round into the she-beast.

Rolls

perception (trained) - (1d20)

(9) = 9

attack (handgun) - add pierce dmg - (1d20)

(16) = 16

defense if necessary - (1d20)

(20) = 20

May 21, 2015 1:31 pm
The sharp dressed man hanging out on the balcony draws and fires a small gun, but it strikes the pillar behind the faro table. AJ sights his rifle on the creature, but stumbles into the piano girl who is running for the door and he shoots high, into the ceiling. Eli draws a good bead on the creature and shoots it square in the chest, and the creature falls to the ground, convulsing.

AJ and Eli both notice that the first wounds that it took appear to be healing. Also, you both hear snarls from upstairs, from at least two sources. Louis Garderose says "Stay back from her men, she won't be down for long. And there were at least two more holding me." He points up the stairs, and you both notice that his wrist is bloodied as if from struggling while being tied up, and hobbles over towards the bar.

A haze of gunsmoke palls the saloon. The door to the kitchen closes behind the bartender, the three faro-playing soldiers are extracting themselves from beneath their splintered table. They appear to be unarmed except for large bowie knives, which they have not yet drawn. Curiously, the old man that was listening to the piano is still there, quietly rocking to himself, listening to music that no longer plays.

Lastly, Clancy's shoulder wound is bleeding badly, but you can see that it is flecked with foamy spittle and hair from the she-wolf.
Clancy and Diego are up. If you roll perception at 6 or higher (3 if trained), you will hear the commotion upstairs over the reverberations of enclosed gunfire. If you roll a 12 or higher (9 if trained) then you will also notice the rope burns on Louis and see the wounds closing on the twitching wolf-woman. Clancy has an asset on the perception for Louis for getting up close and personal; an asset decreases the difficulty one step.
May 21, 2015 3:13 pm
The colonel darts into his room, grabs his bag and gun and then runs down the stairs.

"Get moving, we are outpowered! Everybody out!" he barks in commanding tone. "Reverent, take Grandpa! Everyone invited by him with me! We need to regroup and a plan! Quickfeet, Diego cover our retreat!"

OOC: Did I find a shop selling silverware while scoping out the city? I'd like to direct the group there. Yes, I know some names already :-)

Edit: I did percieve the commotion right next to me :-)
Last edited May 21, 2015 3:20 pm

Rolls

Perception (trained) - (1d20)

(3) = 3

May 21, 2015 3:35 pm
Having taken time to get to know the area well, the good Colonel knows that the Blue Bell does have a fine dining service available, including silver cutlery. Also, after running into your room and back into the hallway, you'll see two more wolf-people exiting another room farther down the hall. They are both also wearing fancy dresses. They see you and begin to run/lope toward you.
May 21, 2015 5:52 pm
A burning sensation spread through Clancy's shoulder after the bite, sending waves of pain down his body. "What sort of demon...!" Clancy spit the words as the creature was felled by his now assumed partners. In the rush of things he had not been able to help Louis recover too well, and now he was unable to stitch himself up... it was going to be a long day for certain.

A couple of the men started to shout orders out. It was strange to hear directions in this time of chaos, but Clancy didn't question them for long. He inspected Louis, unable to stay angry at the mystery of the man in this panic, and yelled, "We ought to listen to him! Do you know anywhere safe?" It was then that he noticed two things: Louis had rope burns on his wrists, and there was gunfire upstairs. Clancy, suddenly a lot more angry, piped up, "What sort of unholy rite did you prepare to summon these creatures?!"
OOC: I will give the other XP to Ultrann36, for that line "Who the heck carries silver bullets?!" Literally made me laugh, could totally see the scene happening in my head. Updated character sheet to reflect XP and Damage. Also, depending on if Clancy sees the creature regenerate, he might try to decapitate it.

Edit: OFF TO A GREAT START FOLKS
Last edited May 21, 2015 5:55 pm

Rolls

Perception - (1d20)

(4) = 4

May 21, 2015 6:01 pm
"To the kitchen! They got silver knives!"
May 21, 2015 7:50 pm
Not believing what he thought he saw of the healing wounds, AJ figured it just a trick of the mind, likely related to this not-Texas world. Frustrated by his missed shot, AJ looks incredulously at the man shouting about silver. "What the blazes does that matter? Just shoot the beasts!" Still, he retreated with the others. He wasn't about to be singled out or left alone.
May 21, 2015 10:19 pm
Chaos reigns as Diego takes in the situation. The commotion from upstairs draws his attention, "sounds like there may be others in need of assistance", and as he turns to run towards the stairs that's when he sees it. The creature on the floor, the creature that should be dead and gone, is starting to heal.

"El Chupacabra!!" he yells as he takes both knives, rushes towards the beast, and plunges them into the creature's neck.

As he's attempting to remove the hairy head he hears someone yelling out orders as if they were some sort of military commander. "If this were the fields of Palo Alto I'd be coming for you next, Gringo!" he murmurs under his breath as he continues his grisly task.
OOC: Going to make my perception roll first and then go back an edit the post accordingly.

HA! I perceived that HELL out that situation!
Last edited May 21, 2015 10:36 pm

Rolls

Perception Roll - (1d20)

(20) = 20

First Attack [Light Weapon - Dual Wield] - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Second Attack [Light Weapon - Dual Wield] - (1d20)

(11) = 11

May 22, 2015 12:00 am
Seeing two more furry she-beasts above, Eli remarks, "I'll treat a lady with a moustache as any other lady, but this is beyond the pale! These things just ain't human!" He fires off his gun yet again, at one of the she-beast above before (attempting to) move towards the kitchen to retrieve some damage-potential silver items, as the Colonel has indicated.

Rolls

Gun again (still asset from the one colleague?) for 5dmg - (1d20)

(8) = 8

Fleet of Foot (Need a 3 factoring in trained in running) - (1d20)

(10) = 10

May 22, 2015 12:22 am
As Louis reaches the bar and goes behind it, clearly looking for something, the well-dressed Derringer wielder from upstairs runs down the stairs with a bag and a rifle. He tears off toward the kitchen, yelling about silverware. Eli fires a round off toward the upstairs balcony while also hurrying to the kitchen. AJ covers them with his rifle while following them.

Clancy watches the Mexican bandito begin expertly sawing the downed wolf-woman's head off with two knives at once. The creature appears to be struggling for life, but transforms into a beautiful, human woman, looks up at Diego with an incredulous look, and then succumbs to her massive wounds, in that order. Her eyes glaze over and a torrent of blood erupts from at least 5 wounds in her body.

Above, two more wolf-women leap over the railing, sailing down toward Clancy and Diego.
Everyone can act before the undoubtedly misunderstood beast-women tear half the party to shreds.
May 22, 2015 12:56 am
A blood covered Diego leaps to his feet as the sight of the decapitated women horrifies him. As he starts to question what in the hell is going on he hears two more creatures above and quickly regains his focus. Looking for options he decides that being behind the bar would at least provide a little protection. As he runs, he sheaths both of his blades and draws his gun. Vaulting the bar, he ducks down behind, aims his weapon, and fires at the left most creature.
OOC: I'm assuming that Diego's "Fast" descriptor provides him the ability to do all of this in a single turn. If that doesn't work, no worries. (I'll just take my character and go home!)
Last edited May 22, 2015 1:19 am

Rolls

Attack Roll [.44 Medium - 5 round left] - (1d20)

(14) = 14

May 22, 2015 11:37 pm
"Mercy, Good Shepherd!" Clancy cried, seeing the beast-- no, woman-- revert before his eyes before fading into a pool of her own blood. Truly, this was demonic possession at work within these women. A snarl crept onto Clancy's face, shrouding the calm demeanor he had been fighting to maintain for the past few minutes. He whispered a short prayer, "Forgive her eternal soul of transgressions, dear Lord... and mine," before letting the rage haze over him.

Clancy was a changed man. Certainly no one knew him from Adam, but if they had known him before the west they would know a violent and ruthless fighter. That Clancy emerged from his cage, taking bold steps to where the demons would land after their leap. "By the name of Jesus of Nazareth," he unsheathed a machete from behind his back, hidden by priestly robes, "and Clancy Winwood," Clancy gritted his teeth before taking the blade in both hands.

"Go back to hell."
OOC: Clancy will equip his machete, move to the were-belles, and swing away like a mad man.

Rolls

Attack Roll (Machete) - (1d20)

(18) = 18

May 25, 2015 4:36 pm
Seeing wolf-woman transform into a woman shocked and confused Eli. But the threat of the two remaining wolf-women to Louis and the others who are here to help Louis was undeniable and had to be addressed. "I just don't git it..." he murmurs, aiming his gun again, at the one about to attack Clancy.

Rolls

Gun again (attack roll, possibly with asset from colleague), piercing - (1d20)

(18) = 18

May 25, 2015 5:23 pm
Covering the group's retreat into the kitchen, AJ takes a shot at the left were-woman before stepping through the doorway, keeping his sights on the creatures.
Using Pierce and Effort (spending 3 points of Speed)

Rolls

Attack - (1d20)

(10) = 10

May 25, 2015 6:34 pm
As the wolf-women leap over the railing, a hail of gunfire focuses on the left-most of the two of them. Diego, running over to the bar nails the left one in the abdomen with a slug from his .44 as it clears the railing [4 damage]. AJ, covering the group, also nails the same square in the chest mid flight [6+1 dmg] with his rifle. Just before they hit the floor, Eli's own handgun blasts the side of its head open [7 dmg = 4+1+2 for rolling an 18]. The femininely clad hell-beast spins backwards from the impacts and lands on its face and shoulder with a sickening crunch barely audible over the ruckus.

Clancy, muttering prayers, pulls a huge knife or sword from over his shoulder and from beneath his garments. He steps in front of the left one, sidesteps as she cartwheels to the floor in a spray of lead and blood, and strikes the second wolf-woman down across the collarbone with the blade as if he were hammering a fence post [7 dmg, 4+1(Brawler)+2 for rolling an 18].

The soldiers, having freed themselves from the wreckage of the faro table, draw their knives and advance cautiously on the rabid animal, fearing the gunfire, the wolf-woman's ferocious bite, but also the wildly swinging blade of the rampaging preacher.

The second wolf-woman, badly wounded and seeing its companion fall to the ground, falls backwards, spinning onto all fours and crashes out the window beside the piano.

The old man by the piano sways involuntarily in out of the monsters way with a drunken fools luck, and takes a sip from his glass of beer, perhaps reacting to the fog of cordite in the saloon irritating his throat.

In the kitchen, Mortimer quickly but precisely checks around for the location of the good silverware. He finds a cabinet near the pantry, with glass doors showing off the fine china dinner service, and below it, several drawers which seem a likely place to keep the fine silver cutlery.

Lastly, from behind the bar counter, Louis pulls an enormous rifle from behind the bar, chambers a large, shining .63 slug into the chamber with a shaking hand, and heads for the door.
May 25, 2015 11:15 pm
Mortimer takes a handfull of knives and dops in a handfull of banknotes. He distributes some of the knives and pockets the rest.
"Ok we seem to have the situation under control now. Lets see if those beasts are really dead. Massive wounds seem to work, too. But lets visit the gunsmith as soon as possible and get some special shiny bullets."
He takes his pistol out and reenters the saloon to survey the situation.

Rolls

Survey the situation (Perception, trained) - (1d20)

(15) = 15

May 26, 2015 7:52 pm
The haze fades. Red cornering his vision recedes back to where ever it originated. Clancy shook his head and rubbed his eyes with his free hand, smearing a smattering a blood across his face. Realizing this, he took a handkerchief from his breast pocket and cleaned himself up-- machete included-- before addressing the room. "This is certainly a strange day..." he quietly murmured to the room, slowly directing his gaze at Louis. The man was across a counter, brandishing a giant rifle. It wasn't too long before he took that gun and left. Clancy, not wanting to get left behind by the man who knew his old name, gave chase.
OOC: Clancy follows Louis out the door. Speed roll included to see how quickly he catches up, if necessary.

Rolls

Speed Roll - (1d20)

(12) = 12

May 26, 2015 9:36 pm
Diego stands up behind the bar, holsters his pistol, and draws one of his blades. As the old man heads for the door, Diego walks slowly towards what he hopes are two very dead wolf-women. Leaning over the decapitated body he looks over the two bodies for anything that might give him a clue as to what is going on.

Rolls

Intellect Roll for checking the bodies. - (1d20)

(6) = 6

May 27, 2015 6:34 am
If nothing interesting happens inside I'll follow outside...
May 28, 2015 12:29 am
Seeing Louis head out with rifle in hand, AJ happily follows the old man. "Two down, one to go." AJ muttered to himself, noting the two dead creatures-turned-women.
May 29, 2015 4:16 am
Louis steps outside, raises his rifle and sights for a spell. He adjusts the rear sight, expels his breath, and fires. The rifle bucks and huge cloud of smoke explodes from the barrel, a sound like thunder rattling the walls of the Blue Bell hotel. Clancy and AJ watch the wolf-beast take the slug in the center of its back, arms splaying to the side and back arching as it is flung forward, landing facedown and sliding a few feet in the early dark of the street. In the glimmer of light from another saloon, the hair retreats from the creature leaving a still woman in the lonely dust.

Inside, the horrific wounds on the second wolf-in-woman's-clothing begin to close, bubbling with its violent convulsions. A bubble of blood forms in the side of its head, and underneath, the bones of the skull can be seen to grow slowly back. The first woman, fully human is also clearly fully dead and not healing.

Diego, keeping back from the clearly healing wolf-woman-hellbeast, spies three items of note on the mostly decapitated woman: an ornate snuff box, a leather bracelet with several inset precious stones, and a small glass bottle with a single orange pill inside. While seemingly ordinary, something about these objects tell him that they are extraordinary.
Diego receives an xp for discovering cyphers.

If Clancy would like to recuperate and heal his depleted might pool, he can attempt a heal check on himself. As previously mentioned, healing works by choosing a number of points to heal, and making an Intellect check against {one less than that number (trained)} times 3. You can only attempt this once per day per target. In addition or alternatively, he can spend a recovery action (one round) and roll recovery (1d6+1).

AJ is also down 4 speed [spent effort on speed checks twice, each costing 2 speed (=3-1 speed edge)] and can make a recovery roll if desired (1d6+1).
May 29, 2015 7:24 am
There is something interesting happening. Mortimer will put one knee on the back of the healing opponent ready to put all his weight on the she-wolf's back to keep it under control. He puts one of the silver knives against its throat.

"Someone's got some rope or shackles? I imagine we have some questions for this one."
May 29, 2015 6:10 pm
While Diego is eager to try and identify the cyphers, he quickly puts them in his pack, while he tries to assist Mortimer. "I'll see what I can find, Gringo" he says as he starts to look about the bar for something to help restrain the wolfette. "If it starts to put up too much of a fight cut its head off."

OOC: I'll give a intellect check for a restraint search, just in case one is needed.
My search-fu is strong!
Last edited May 29, 2015 6:10 pm

Rolls

Searching - (1d20)

(20) = 20

May 29, 2015 7:57 pm
Ooc: given my profession I assume I have rope or shackles, but I didn't put it down on my sheet. So GM can overrule my assumption.

Eli shakes his head, still trying to process all that has happened in the past 10 minutes, along with the strange words about shadow people and special items that his quarry had said on the way into town.

He hears Col. Mortimers words, and tosses him his shackles.
May 29, 2015 8:29 pm
OOC: Eli having Shackles on him is fine with me.
Jun 2, 2015 3:17 pm
Diego has a quick look around, and finds a 40-foot length of chain with key-and-padlock. Eli produces prisoner shackles, and together they bind the beast up securely. The Colonel keeps his silver weapon handy, but it doesn't wake up. It does however, continue to heal for a bit, mostly. During the process, the skull wound continues closing up and the bone regrowing, until suddenly, the beast, still unconscious, shifts into the form of a woman. She has long, black hair with a slight curl, exotic features, and skin a dark, reddish coffee colour. Diego tightens the chains somewhat around the woman's form, and notices that her wounds, although still terrible, have ceased to heal. She is alive, for now.

Clancy, AJ and the doctor retrieve the woman from the street, dragging her down the block back to the hotel. Concerned, rifle-toting citizens mill about confusedly until the sheriff shows up and shoes them back to their homes. He questions Louis, Clancy, AJ and a few passersby who claim to have seen the whole thing. After a spell (see what I did there?), he seems to accept the story of a wolf-in-woman's clothing as 'devilry' and thanks the preacher for 'doing God's good work'.

The saloon ends its custom for the night, and the bartender, having returned from whatever hole he hid in, finds some canvas tarps and helps the group carry the two bodies upstairs, before he attempts to mop the bloodstains out of the saloon's rough, wooden floor. The unconscious, chained woman is carefully transferred back into her bed (she is a tenant and has been for the past month).

The six of you, Douglas, Eli, AJ, Clancy and Diego, along with Louis. Gather some chairs into the woman's room, and stare awkwardly at her, and each other. Louis produces a bottle of cheap whiskey and takes a long swig before pouring some on a small hankerchief (to dab his wounds) and passes the bottle around.

"Thank you for coming. I reckon y'all got here just in the nick of time," he says, chafing at his rope-burned wrists.
Jun 2, 2015 8:52 pm
Eli takes a big swig of whiskey and squawks, "Hey Louis, you got some 'splainin to do!!"
Jun 2, 2015 9:48 pm
Diego takes his turn with the bottle and passes it along. Still not quite sure what the hell he has witnessed he eagerly awaits Louis' explanation.
Jun 3, 2015 3:30 am
"She must have snuck in while I was sleeping, that one," he says, pointing at the one that had been drug back from the street. "Tied me up, gagged me. She brought that one in a few days ago," he continues, pointing to the woman on the bed. "And bit her. Chained her up, and bit her on the arm. She tried to scream but she squeezed her throat till she fell still." He gulps dryly, and stares wistfully at the whiskey bottle. When she woke up, she was one of ‘em. Her teeth got sharp, her fingernails thickened and sharpened, hair sprung out o' her skin."

"The next night, they went out and gets the other one. Same thing. The first one, Kendra she was called, bites Margaret there. She turns into another one." He pauses and looks at each of you in turn, stopping on Clancy. "Thing is, did she bite anyone else, before she got here?"

He notices Clancy turning red with barely contained rage, and he waves his hand. "Now, you don’t need to worry too much, son. Maybe you’ll get hairy, but your mind is your own. Just don’t go chewin' on folks and you and me will be fine. See, there is one more thing you need to know. Kendra isn’t from the Rio Grande City, she isn’t from Texas. She isn’t from this world at all."

"Clancy, don’t bite no one." He pauses again, and you begin to suspect that his pauses are purely for dramatic effect. "You start to get angry, though, you focus on something calming, cuz if you lose control, you’re going to get hairy. And that seems like its oil into the fire. Those girls went wild. Your mind will be your own, but your mind will be full of rage and hate. And biting might seem like a real good idea."

"Now, Kendra there, maybe she bit others, and they gets angry and start chewing. This place will tear itself apart. Some places have ways of keeping things like this in check, but here, well, these werewolves have no natural enemies. Here, they can just, go wild."

"I know you're confused. This don't make a lick of sense. Your world, though, this place, it's important. It may not seem like much and you probably got all kinds o' questions. But right now, we gotta stop these werewolves before they turn your world into hell."
Jun 3, 2015 11:20 am
AJ listened to the tale spun by the old man. It was ridiculous. This whole place was ridiculous.He tried to wrap his head around it all, but it didn't work. At the mention of saving their world, he immediately thought of his sister. That was it. that was all he had to hear. With newfound resolve, AJ straightened and looked to Louis, "Tell us what to do, sir."
Jun 3, 2015 2:16 pm
"Find out where she came from. I suspect its down by Fort Alamo, but maybe not. See what you can find. Then track her back to wherever and find out how she got here. Then shut that God-damned door." He slumps down, clearly worn out. "You get into any trouble, you go seek out Ida Jericho in Tombstone. It's about a days ride thatta-ways," he says, gesturing vaguely to the northwest.

"I'm going to get some rest, maybe work up to taking this one somewhere she can't do so much harm. Stick together, and I'll try and find you in a week or so."
Jun 3, 2015 2:40 pm
"Seems we got ourselves a Job. So Silver works. What else does? Let's take our cutlery to the gunsmith. He'll provide us with some bullets in a day or two. We can't go unprotected.

Seems also something is different about each one of us. Not only did Louis get us all together. I suspect he did something else. Did you all feel like som sort of awakening from a dull dream or was it just me?

So Louis, what makes us different? What do we have in common, diverse as we are seemingly? And where did you get al that knowledge? Are you some sort of "outsider", too? By the way is there a cure for Clancy that we can find?"
Last edited June 3, 2015 2:40 pm
Jun 4, 2015 1:57 am
Diego removes his pistol from its holster and flips open the cylinder as he listens to Louis' story about werewolves and people from other worlds. Removing the spent shell and tossing it to the floor, he removes a round from his bandolier and chambers it, spins the cylinder, and flips it closed.

Nodding to Mortimer he adds, "We need to get the Padre fixed up pronto..."
Jun 6, 2015 3:21 am
Louis waves you away, muttering "tomorrow." His wounds and his age have clearly worn him out. He slumps back in his chair and falls asleep.

The night passes uneventfully. {If you want to share anything that night, please do.} The five of you rest and gather yourselves for the coming day. Searching the beast-womans room, you find a half-dozen more strange objects: a pocket watch, a cigarillo holder, a pince-nez, a ruby ring, a sheriffs badge, and a hard candy. When you carry more than two or three, you feel odd. {If anyone wants to make Intellect checks, you can try to identify the cyphers.}

In the morning, the Colonel slips out early and finds a gunsmith who promises to forge silver bullets in proper calibres for each of your weapons. He needs a half day.

The old man seems pale and thinner the next morning. His hands shake with palsy as he drips water into the chained womans mouth. "I need to take her away, to somewhere this curse can ... pass harmlessly. I can take Clancy there later, but I think the Rio Grande needs you all. See, you all are a little bit more awake than others here. Never can tell who it will be. Maybe your enemies, hopefully your loved ones. Best not dwell on that though. This place, it has a way of making you forget. Stick together and remember that you don't fit in anymore."

"You don't owe me nothin, heck, I probably owe you all something for saving my keister. But, if you want to see this through, I can promise you a trip through hell and sights you ain't never thought of. And maybe, we can right some wrongs along the way." He coughs into a handkerchief, and your eyes see a spot of blood. "Go to Fort Alamo, and figure out how they got here. Then come back here, or go to Tombstone. We'll catch up then."
Give me some Intellect rolls, and post your reactions to the info dump, haha. The game is afoot!
Jun 6, 2015 1:52 pm
(That night...) As the group settles down with their drinks, Eli takes off his hat, smooths his moustache and introduces himself. "Well, while we're all acquainted with each other's fightin' skills now, best we do proper introductions. My name is Eli Buckholtz. You can call me Eli or Quickfeet, ain't no bother either way". He turns to Col. Mortimer and says, "Not sure if you remember me, but I remember you. A couple years back I almost got trampled by a wild horse stampede, but even my quick feet weren't enough. If it wasn't for you on your horse grabbin' me, I'd be vulture food. And as I said then, I'm indebted to you." Eli goes on to tell his tale. He is a former Texas Ranger, still highly respected among current and former Rangers, but has set out on his own to pursue criminals and others on his own, who are running from the law. He's never settled down, keeps to the open road, serving justice along the way. "I ain't fond at all about keepin' a woman in chains, it ain't right. But it ain't right for her to be turnin' into a wolf and eatin' people. Let's hope we can properly deal with her", he adds at some point in the evening.

Over the course of the evening, he keeps looking around, not looking for something, but searching for answers. He definitely feels different now, more awake in a way, but still not properly understanding it all.

The next day, after Louis updates us, he asks, "Louis, I thought you wanted us to take you to Fort Alamo. I'ma still goin' to do what you want us to do, whether we go Alamo and then back to get ya, or you go with us. Let's just get our gear together and hit the trail!".
(He inspects the pocket watch and the sheriff's badge that evening).

Rolls

Intellect roll - Pocket watch - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Intellect roll - sheriff badge - (1d20)

(12) = 12

Jun 6, 2015 6:07 pm
As Diego listens to Eli's story he remembers the objects that he taken off one of the dead women while in the saloon. As the others continue their discussions and stories, Diego will take the time to inspect each of the items individually.

EDIT: 24? Oops, let me re-roll that one.
Last edited June 6, 2015 6:08 pm

Rolls

Identify Ornate Snuff Box - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Identify Leather Bracelet Decorated with Ornate Stones - (1d20)

(4) = 4

Identify the Pill in the Small Glass Jar - (1d29)

(24) = 24

Identify Pill in the Small Glass Jar - (1d20)

(20) = 20

Jun 7, 2015 11:26 am
After Eli's introduction, AJ stands up, but doesn't really know what to say. After a moment of awkward false-starts, he takes a deep breath and shows off his boyish smile. "Name's Alex. Call me AJ. I dunno what's going on exactly. And really, I don't care to figure it out right now." He takes off his hat and rubs his forehead. "Kinda gives me a headache. This place is strange, yeah. But Mister Garderose here gave me something to focus on: protecting our world. I got a sister that I help take care of. If I can help keep her safe, I'm going to do it." He sits down, allowing others to have their say.

OOC: I count only 5 items identified, but I don't think AJ was up searching the room since he stayed with Louis.
Jun 8, 2015 12:14 pm
I've sent PMs to both players that ID'd cyphers. Diego had found three cyphers on the beast that he beheaded, and the lot of you found the other 6 cyphers in the woman's room when you all (Louis included) took her upstairs from the saloon floor.

The four that have not yet been identified are: cigarillo holder, a pince-nez, a ruby ring, and a hard candy.
Jun 8, 2015 12:36 pm
Eli looks at the pocket watch, and then hastily puts it down. "Durned if I know why, but I can sense somethin' special ... and dark... about this here pocket watch. I was hopin' to have this nice time piece, but I feel it is meant to be given, at the right time and place, to someone who would consider it a gift, but it will be a curse. So best for those subtle times of subterfuge with words, rather than diplomacy by gun."

He examines the sheriff's badge as well. "Hmm, strange, I can feel something about this one too. Ain't no regular badge! But somehow I know that if someone's wearing it, they can put someone they touch to sleep. Handy for calming down someone who's panicked, or taking down an enemy who may be about to commit violence on others."

Eli then, with some hesitation, picks up the cigarillo holder and examines it...

Rolls

Intellect roll - cigarillo holder - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Jun 8, 2015 6:33 pm
"I'll take the rest then..."

Rolls

Identify prince-nez - (1d20)

(10) = 10

Identify ruby ring - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Identify hard candy - (1d20)

(7) = 7

Jun 8, 2015 11:39 pm
Having messed with the strange objects (see what I did there?), you will need to allocate them amongst yourselves in some manner. Remember that each character can only carry 2 or 3 of these at a time (see your character sheet), without something, shall we say, ALARMING happening.

Also, as an aside, I haven't heard from Morrowlife in a couple of weeks. Anyone know if he is coming back?
Jun 9, 2015 12:44 am
Diego, somehow making sense of what the objects he gathered actually do, holds up a jar with a single orange pill inside. "Anyone interested in this? I'm not sure what it's real name is, but I call it 'velocidad'"

OOC: It restores 5 to your speed pool.
Jun 9, 2015 12:53 am
Eli pins the sheriff badge onto his coat. "I may not be a sheriff, but I am a law keeper." He then puts the cigariillo holder inside his coat.

He finishes his meal, waits for the others to pick through the 'rewards', and then he's ready to hit the open road.
Last edited June 9, 2015 12:54 am
Jun 9, 2015 1:31 am
AJ takes a moment to consider the pill Diego presents before standing to take the bottle. "Why thank you." And he pockets the pill.
Jun 9, 2015 10:08 am
"I'm quite content with what I've got. Those will come in handy." I'll put them in my coats inner pocket.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.