GMing Philosophy

Sep 8, 2014 12:52 pm
Many of us here are Game Masters, and I'm sure even those who aren't have, at some time, been a Game Master (or, at least, have some thoughts on what being a GM entails). I think it may be interesting (and also maybe even help some of us become better GMs) to discuss various GMing philosophies.

What is a GMing Philosophy? It is, in a few short sentences, a summary of how you view your roles and responsibilities as a GM. Think about what you do, how you design games and what your goals are within a game. Identify what paths you follow to achieve those goals, write that all down and you're on your way to zeroing in on your GMing Philosophy.

For me, I see GMing as holding a facilitator role. My main responsibilities include driving the plot forward, keeping the game the focus of the evening and creating opportunities for the players to have fun. I do this by guiding the story, constructing the background context of the game, ensuring that each adventure has plenty of opportunities for each character to shine and by presenting the players with genuine challenges and meaningful threats.

What do you think the role of a GM is, and why?
Sep 24, 2014 12:42 am
Role of a GM: make something both your players and you can enjoy.
That simple.
I feel no need to analyze or make my task a philisophical endeavour. Each of us plays our roles for our own reasons.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.