What are your favourite gaming podcasts?

May 27, 2015 6:43 am
I'd like to share my list and mybe stumble onto some new ones. :-)

I'll sort by genre:

* Modern D&D:
__* RPG Academy
____* You all know them hopefully
__* Critical Hit
____* My all time favourite actual play for almost 5 years now
____* Playing a SINGLE Campaign since the start
____* Featuring 4th edition D&D

* D&D < 4th edition:
__* Roll for Initiative
____* Mostly discussion
____* Features 1st edition AD&D
__* Save or Die
____* Mostly discussion
____* Classic & Original D&D

* Indy Games
__* RPPR Role Playing Public Radio
____* Both discussion and Actual play
____* Features: Eclipse Phase, Base Raiders, Fate, Call of Cthulhu, Trail of Cthulhu and others
__* Knights of the Night
____* Actual play
____* Featuring: Fate and derivates, Dresden Files, World of Darkness

* Horror specific
__* Cthulhu and friends
____* Mostly Actual Play, lots of Horror & Gore
____* Featuring a bastartises version of D20 Cthulhu
__* Skype of Cthulhu
____* Actual Play
____* Features: Call of Chthulhu, Prewritten modules only
Last edited May 27, 2015 6:59 am
May 27, 2015 12:44 pm
Thanks chocokiko.

Right now I'm following podcasts that are mostly RPG discussions rather than actual play, such as:
__Gamerstable Podcast (gamerstable.com)
____RPG discussions with a large panel
__Rolecasters (rolecasters.net)
____animated recap of their actual game, some actual play, and discussions/interviews
__Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff (kenandrobintalkaboutstuff.com)
____RPG game designers Kenneth Hite and Robin Laws talk about gaming, history, and well, stuff
__The Mad Adventurers Society (madadventurers.com)
____a variety of different columns (such as The Angry GM) and podasts (such as Delve and Potelbat), some actual play, some discussions
May 27, 2015 2:50 pm
Heh, we have a number of these guys on the GP link list :D I'll reach out to those who aren't.
May 27, 2015 9:46 pm
I'm currently catching up with RPGAcademy (who are currently DnDAcademy where I am at in the podcast, lol)! Right now I'm kind of just listening to the actual play parts, with intention of going back to listen to the Dungeon Talks/Table Topics when I finish that particular campaign. I have Nerd Poker downloaded too, but I'm going to catch up with RPGAcademy first. :)
May 27, 2015 10:41 pm
Here are a couple that I'm subscribed to

Game Master's Journey (www.starwalkerstudios.com/gamemastersjourney)
>general GMing advice
Shark Bone Podcast (sharkbonepodcast.com)
>ideas, advice, etc

And I have to put a plug for Iconic Podcast (iconicpodcast.com). It's a podcast about 13th Age but covers quite a bit of other stuff too. Full disclaimer: I'm one of the hosts.
May 28, 2015 2:21 pm
Woo! Shark Bone made the cut!

I also listen to the Miskatonic University Podcast. It's a good show for Call of Cthulhu.

No one has mentioned the RpgGamerDad Podcast, which is really good.

All the others I listen to have already been mentioned, I think.
May 28, 2015 2:54 pm
Thanks for mentioning my show, njohn858. I really appreciate it!

Two shows I'm really enjoying right now are Tales from the Hydian Way (Star Wars RPG) and Iconic Podcast (13th Age). These are both shows that are good to listen to, even if you don't play those games. Lots of great GM wisdom. :)
May 28, 2015 5:21 pm
Since it hasn't been mentioned

-Stories of a Fifth Age - 5e DnD podcast. I haven't even played 5e yet, but this makes me want to every time!

-Potelbat YALP - an actual play that has many games showcased in it, not just one continuous campaign.
Jun 14, 2015 9:12 am
Oh man you guys are missing some good ones here!

The Tome Show
-General Topic RPG with a D&D focus is fantastic.
-Some playtests

Dungeon masters block
-Ideas galore
-story time and email answering
-implementing lore/ideas of Magic the Gathering to D&D

Dungeon's and Randomness
-Actual play
-The real amazing part of this podcast is that it's been going on for years, there are 20+ people playing PCs + various NPCs that are recurring. They all can affect each others story and world. Incredible story telling almost good DMing. (it's pretty bad the first 10-15 episodes.)

One Shot
-Actual play
-James D'Amato is a great DM and the stories are intriguing and does many RPG systems. I've listened to Numenera, Pathfinder, D&D, Legend of the 5 Rings, and more.

Play on Target
-High level information on RPGs from some experienced(20+ years a piece) DMs and players.

These are the order I have them organized on my list. I need to check the others out. :D
Jul 3, 2015 12:48 am
Hey, great recommendations, everyone! I only discovered rpg podcasts recently, via actual play episodes.

So far the one that stands out for me is the already-mentioned-and-loved-up RPG Academy.
Aug 13, 2015 5:59 pm
My $0.02:
The already mentioned Critical Hit (which was my first entry into Actual Play podcast)
The Misadventures of Max's Minions (the first half dozen episodes are a little rough but then the quality improves but man oh man does it get filthy)
Godsfall - incredibly detailed, well edited(they make heavy use of Battle Bards sfx) story driven 5E series, highly recommended
Sneak Attack - 5E light hearted and fun
The Redacted Files - a rotating set of games (d20 modern, Call of Cthulhu, and Numenera at least) that all seem to involve Cthulhu in some way, shape, or form
Aug 21, 2015 4:23 pm
podcasts i like to listen to.

3 podcast have most the same people but always good.

http://thenerdstitute.podbean.com

They do Fate of Heroes very funny. Also have discussions of random things

dungeonsanddistractions.podbean.com

4e&5e playing with recaps of dungeon and randomess and interviews with cast members very funny

thedistractionspodcast.podbean
Spin off of dungeon and distractions. Werewolf pack campaign very funny

http://swordnutradio.podbean.com

5e, fate, inspectors very good show also to listen to.

All are very active on Twitter and Facebook
Sep 6, 2015 7:13 am
(edited for brevity)

I have very specific ideas about what entertains me with an RPG podcast, and my tastes aren't the same as everyone's, so I'll elaborate so you have a better idea where my recommendations are coming from.
- I like actual play podcasts.
- I don't like post-production sound effects (I only want to hear what the players hear).
- I like humor (seriousness is fine in games I play, but when I listen to a podcast, I want to laugh).

I like a lot of podcasts, many of which have been mentioned already. My current favorites that haven't been mentioned are:
* CritJuice
http://critjuice.com
- D&D4
- all professional comedians
- great ongoing campaign for the last several years
- drinking game and various other innovative ideas incorporated into the mechanics
- audience participation in the game
- best podcast web site
- deep character backstories incorporated into campaign

* Never Tell Me The Odds
http://www.starwarsrpgpodcast.com
- FFG Star Wars system
- very regular: posted every Friday
- also innovative game mechanics
- audience participation in the game
- multiple games, characters and stories (though there is one "main" campaign)

* Critical Role
http://geekandsundry.com/shows/critical-role/
- D&D5
- not actually a podcast: YouTube videos (but I convert them to audio)
- professional voice actors
- good campaign
- good length (first episode is over 2 hours)
- sound effects provided live, in-game, so players react to them

* Board with Life
There's no good URL for the Board with Life podcast, unfortunately, but you can find the podcasts linked from http://imboardwithlife.tumblr.com/archive
- D&D5
- podcast is spin-off of a tabletop boardgame YouTube series
- group is all co-workers, so they're very comfortable & familiar with one another
- campaign is interesting
- fun to see how DM deals with herding cats
Last edited September 6, 2015 1:59 pm
Jan 14, 2016 12:58 am
So let me reactive this thread and throw in NPC Cast.

This podcast is run by three guys in the Seattle area. They talk a lot about RPGs from a design perspective and from a play perspective. The also cover a lot of tabletop games as well. There are a couple of actual plays within their archives as well, but they haven't done any recently. And they occasionally will have guests on there that are game designers, game bloggers, or other individuals in the industry.

It is very entertaining and they have a great positive attitude towards gaming and gamers in general.

I believe the blog associated with the podcast is just npccast.com
Feb 25, 2016 2:48 am
I noticed that the Oneshot podcast is listed here so I'll also throw a shout out to the Campaign podcast which is like its sister podcast.

It features:
- Star Wars FFG EotE system
- Long running campaign in the Star Wars universe.
- Lots of interesting characters that get developed throughout the episodes.

I also like Talking Tabletop with Jim McClure. There's something really compelling about listening to interviews with people in the RPG industry/hobby and their discussions as to why they do it and how they got into it. Some great episodes in there.
Last edited February 25, 2016 2:51 am
Feb 25, 2016 3:42 am
Much love for campaign podcast. Also the neo-anarchist podcast and the arcology podcast, both are shadowrun themed and very good

You do not have permission to post in this thread.