Conventions: Starter Guide

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 27, 2015 5:22 pm
With a number of conventions around the corner, I thought I'd bring up this topic. Do you go to conventions? Are you going to one soon? What advice would you give to someone going to a gaming convention for the first time?

I'll be going to Origins in Ohio in a week, and it'll be the first con I'm going to not within driving distance. I was at Dreamation in NJ last winter and been to New York Comic Con twice in the past (didn't go last year or this thanks to NYCC's ticketing situation). NYCC isn't really a gaming con, but gave good experience for what it could be like, and Dreamation was small but gave me an idea of how gaming cons run. I think between the two of them, I have some ideas.

So, what advice would you give me and others?

Also, if you're going to be at Origins, get in touch! Lets awkwardly meetup and make messed up chitchat!
May 27, 2015 9:57 pm
I go to about 3-5 conventions a year! Mostly the ones I attend are anime conventions, but the advice I will give applies to pretty much all of them.

1. Bring water, and remember to drink it. You are going to be on your feet or at a table all day, and if you plan your day right, there won't be time to really go get something to drink. Similarly, bring food or snacks if you can help it.

2. Plan your day out ahead of time, if possible. Most Cons have a website with a schedule that is released usually the week before the convention. Print one out and plan your day by panels and events you want to attend, making sure to cross reference a map of the convention floor is one is provided. Usually you will get a schedule when you arrive to the convention too, but it helps to already know what is going down.

3. Get at least 6 hours of sleep between days. This is crucial, because you're going to want to do as much as possible, but if you don't get any sleep you'll not enjoy any of it.

4. For gaming related conventions, if you want to play games all day (tabletop specifically), don't sign up for too many of the scheduled games. Make sure to sign up for one or two of the ones you really want to try, but for the most part, leave yourself open to get in some of the free groups that hang around and fire throughout the day. There will be plenty of people offering a variety of things.

5. Bring extra cash! Part of the fun of conventions is the dealer's room, where people and vendors will bring things you can't normally buy or are hard to get outside of a convention. If you're a stickler (like me) for cash, you can always Google the item you want to purchase before purchasing it, to see if there is a better deal online.

That's about all I have for general tips. I know more relating to other things like Cosplaying, but I don't think everyone needs to know about that. :)
Jun 2, 2015 4:30 pm
Pack light. Don't bring every darn book for a system, just the basics.

Consider loading PDFs onto a tablet or laptop.

Don't trust that wifi will work. Have copies of your materials loaded to your device.
Jun 2, 2015 4:32 pm
When you get your badge at Origins, grab the con book(s) there - and you will also get a coupon book. Lots of freebies or near freebies - such as the commemorative pint glass (found at Barley's brewpub across the street), commemorative d6, etc.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.