Outside of Boltic: Chapter 1

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 31, 2015 2:06 am
The full moon is just rising when you arrive. It seems that you are not the only one who has been summoned to this clearing between the town of Boltic and the true edge of the Darkwood where no one enters.
Jun 17, 2015 5:25 am
A beautiful raven-haired woman strides into the clearing and looks around. There is an otherworldly air about her as she crosses her arms beneath her breasts. She is wearing some type of armor that defies explanation. It appears to sit on her frame like armor should, but it moves and breathes with her like no normal armor ever could. The gauntlets bears wicked claws and the fingers are webbed as though they belong to some creature from the sea. Fins sprout at her elbows, shoulders and back; he thighs and calves as well. Her head is covered by a helm that is smooth coming to a rounded wedge in the frint and breaking into small soft scales in the back, her hair spilling out underneath. Over all she appears very sleek. She stands without speaking, one hip jutting to the side.
Jun 17, 2015 5:38 am
Stepping out from behind a tree, a small man with a sneer stares at the creature before him. Thick leather armor pads his shoulders and midsection while a holy book hangs off his belt, a small paper prayer waxed onto the armor to the left of his chest, and the red "I" of the inquistion emblazoned in the center. Tattoos encircle his arms and a unlit candle rides on his right shoulder. Abuckler is attached to his arm and a bow, along with a hefty pack, is slung behind his back. For as small as he is, his well worn face, dressed with a red glass eyepatch, shows he is not to be trifled with. He spits at the ground in front of her and utters a single word.

"Witch."

It's not a question more of statement of fact as he looks around for whoever may have summoned him here. He would very much rather it not be this hag before him or they would have serious problems. He looked around to see if, hoping, anyone else was there.
Last edited June 17, 2015 5:39 am
Jun 17, 2015 8:23 pm
Turning to the small man, Galena returns his sneer with a placid calm. When she speaks her tone is disaffected and unconcerned, "Not exactly, but I've known a few in my day. My mother for example. Or are you one of this zealots who labels all spellcasters thusly?"
Last edited June 17, 2015 8:26 pm
Jun 18, 2015 2:45 am
He continues to look around, hoping beyond hope that this conversation is not the reason he's here. "The arcane arts are all the same. My order hunts those that wield them. While it is known that some amount of . . . necessary evil exists in the world, I personally have never had to work alongside a hex-jockey." Bek spits again making it more then clear he isn't around to chit chat. "Are you the one who's got the job for me or not?"
Jun 18, 2015 3:14 am
A tall figure wearing a deeply hooded cloak coughs politely, Actually that would be me. And I was rather hoping for more of you to show up. Alas no plan truly survives once it is enacted. The voice that speaks to you is deep and resonate and obviously that of a male. Try as you might you are unable to glean more information about him. Perhaps you will come across other traveling companions as you go. The job I am offering is risky and death may be your only reward, though if you survive the prize will be beyond your imagining. This is the only chance I will allow to leave my service, once you sign the contract there are no ways out.
Jun 18, 2015 4:28 am
"I admit that your initial offer is intriguing, but I have to say some of these new terms are less than...acceptable. You say there is wealth to be gained, but offer no evidence. You threaten us with some kind of 'contract' that we must be bound to or face further peril. I'm going to need a little more to assuage my desire to survive. A name from you would be a start. More information about the treasures we seek and the danger ahead would also be appreciated."
Jun 18, 2015 4:58 am
"I am going to have to agree with this . . . thing here. Your offer is too vague to sell my soul yet. Death is not the reward I am looking for either. Gemstones would suffice though. Emeralds, rubies, diamonds the size a child's fist will more than make up for a suicide mission." Bek glances around him, calling attention to the lack of bodies present. "Also, if we are the only two you have coming to knock on your opportunity's door, I can tell already that we will have our work cut out for us." Bek keeps trying to discern what is underneath the hood trying to size the fella up. He keeps talking as he looks the figure up and down. "So what is the job? Tell me and if it is worth it, I may just will sign my life away."
Last edited June 18, 2015 4:59 am

Rolls

Sense Motive - (1d20+7)

(18) + 7 = 25

Jun 18, 2015 5:12 pm
The man laughs, "Your suspicions are not perhaps unfounded. The terms are such as they are only because of the job itself. Once you start the only way out is to complete the task at hand. I require you to find a long lost item for me. This item vanished when the city known as Graystone sank below the ground 800 years ago. They had a vast treasury, hence the reward beyond your imaginings. I'm asking for you to sign a contract that will keep your mouths shut about your task, I have no wish that my enemies discover what I am doing and move to thwart me. As for evidence..." He tosses each of you a large and as near you can tell in the dark a flawless gem stone they are both Star Sapphires. "Consider this your starting bonus. Bek, I have no desire for your soul, or for you to even lose your life in this task. I felt that it would be better to warn you of the risks rather than sending you in blind. The better prepared you are the more likely I am to get what I want. As for my name, I'm afraid that would cause to many risks to my person. You may call me... Bane if you'd like. Now, anymore than that about what I wish you to do does require a commitment to me from you."

Bek, you can tell that the man is telling the truth.
Jun 18, 2015 8:35 pm
"Graystone, you say...well that is a little more...down to earth...than just chasing some legend. I'm in. Assuming you have a map and what constitutes a "safe route" to the place? Dangerous I understand, I'm just looking for assurances you won't be telling us to walk up to a cliff and jump."
Jun 18, 2015 8:58 pm
Bek holds the stone up to the full moon and lets the light catch it just so. It shimmers like stars in the sky. "How about that? This will do. And if those coffers are as full as you say they are, then you may have yourself a deal." Bek pockets the stone in one of his belt pouches. "I too do not like going in blind. What more, if anything can you tell us or give us to prepare for this journey?"
Last edited June 18, 2015 9:10 pm
Jun 18, 2015 11:11 pm
"Excellent, if you'll sign this than I'll give you as much information as I have to give you. This shouldn't involve jumping off of a cliff unless the landscape has changed since this map was drawn." As he speaks he pulls out a rolled scroll from the depths of his cloak with a gloved hand.
Jun 19, 2015 7:02 pm
"Would you mind a cursory inspection of the contract? As I said I'm on board, but signing magical contracts, even one so simple as this seems to be would be foolish to rush into." Unless 'Bane' stops her she will cast the can trip Detect Magic.
OOC: Before I see results, basically what Galena expects to find would be some combination of Abjuration magic to bind the parties to the contract and possibly some Divination magic to "keep an eye" on all interested parties while the contract is in afffect. The only real red flags would be strong Enchantment or Necromancy, unless something in the contract stated that breaking the contract made one subject to those magics. If nothing like that jumps out at her, consider it signed. Even if the Spellcraft roll fails to identify the exact spells in place she will sign if the above conditions hold true.

Edit: Ooooofff course I roll a one. So consider that puppy signed no matter what it says or does! X-D
Last edited June 19, 2015 7:04 pm

Rolls

Spellcraft in conjunction with the Detect Magic Spell - (1d20+8)

(1) + 8 = 9

Jun 19, 2015 9:31 pm
He hands the scroll to Galena, "Of course I cherish the idea that you want to read what you're signing up for." The scroll reads as follows

Those who sign this contract will abide by the terms stated within.

First they will keep their silence about the object that they are seeking and the location of it.
Second any information that they feel they need to complete this task will be given to them by their employer within his ability to do so.
Third those who survive this venture will return to the clearing outside of the town of Boltic the first full moon after completing their task to turn over the object and receive the rest of any pay that they are due.
Fourth the employer will supply horses and tack for said horses as well as one pack mule.
Fifth a description of the object will be given in writing to those who go in search.

Employer:
Seekers:

Galena, you notice nothing out of place.
Jun 19, 2015 9:51 pm
"Everything seems in order." She delicately takes out a quill and signs, then offers it to Bek
Jun 20, 2015 12:46 am
Bek places a bit of ceremony on the signing. He utters the words of an orison and light begins to shine from the candle wick on his shoulder in the shape of a steady flame, giving off a warm orange glow. He is careful to read every word and understand the limitations before looking up and making eye contact, if it can be called that, with the hooded figure. "I would prefer a wartrained riding dog if possible but a horse will do if that is all you have." Regardless of the answer, Bek takes the quill and signs his name. He then takes a single arrow and pricks his finger allowing a single drop of blood to follow his signature. "Now it is official in the custom of my order." He hands the contract back to the seeker.
Jun 20, 2015 2:36 am
Bane signs with a flourish and a drop of blood, the second with a nod to Bek. "I suppose that a riding dog could be arranged if there is one to be had in town. Rooms have been booked for you at the wayhouse and the gate guards told to expect you. Perhaps in the morning we will find others who heeded the call but not perhaps the moon. I will give you the rest of the details in the morning after breakfast." With that said he turns and seems to melt into the darkness and the trees.
Jun 21, 2015 2:51 pm
Bek watches the figure until he's gone. Turns to the hag and says, "Like I said, necessary evils. I guess I'll see you at the wayhouse, witch." And with that he turns on his heel and slinks off, heading toward the wayhouse.
Last edited June 21, 2015 2:51 pm
Jun 21, 2015 10:42 pm
Galena let's Bek get a head start before setting out. She quickly out paces him though with her long strides as she passes him she gives a quick look backover her shoulder, smirjing at his slower speed.
Jun 23, 2015 1:10 am
You both arrive at the wayhouse though not together due to your difference in strides. When you arrive the comfortable common room is busy but not crowded as there are no trade caravans currently stopped in the town. The room is well lit and filled with friendly conversation and laughter. No one pauses when you enter but the bartender, a stout dwarf with a well trimmed beard, does look up as do a few serving maids as they weave in between the tables.
Jun 23, 2015 6:03 am
Galena approaches the bar and gives the the dwarf her name and explains she should have a room waiting for her. When he gives her the information she needs Galena heads to her room, stows her gear and heads back to the common room. No doubt on her return the presence of her eidolon armor is noticed. She finds a seat at a table that has plenty of room for others and sits down. When the bar maid approaches her, Galena flirts for a moment then says she is waiting for someone, sending the server on her way. Then she looks around the room and makes eye contact with several of the patrons. She keeps her gaze short but significant, and he mouth has the smallest hint of a smile. Hopefully someone falls for her attempt to get them to buy her a drink.

((I'll throw in a bluff roll if needed. The bluff being that she is alone and looking for company. She just wants to scam a few drink.s))
Last edited June 23, 2015 6:04 am

Rolls

Bluff to get free drinks - (1d20+4)

(10) + 4 = 14

Jun 23, 2015 12:57 pm
Walking into the way house looking the part of a man a bit rough around the edges Graddy probably didn’t catch many eyes. Travel had taken longer than expected to get to the location of the meetup and for all intents and purposes he was late. With no one at the area he thought the meeting was supposed to be he either missed the meeting or botched things in the wilderness and went to the wrong location completely. He scowled a bit his mood a foul due to his bad luck and misfortune. But here, right now, he was just another bloke wanting some mead and to forget the worries and troubles in life for another night washing them into the fog of his mind, although the place seemed busy the vibe was friendly enough as he moved through the crowd.

Pulling off a hood and shaking shoulder length blond hair free the man ran fingers over his face and a scraggily beard that hide the jawline too angular to be just human. Figuring he was presentable enough to not be deemed a beggar he’d slap a hand down in front of him on the bar when the bartender looked his way, "Oy, gimme a mead mate." a gravelly voice requested putting money on the bar before he set his jaw in place. A few days on the road and missing his meeting might have made it seem more of a snarling request than polite but Graddy was never known for his politeness. While waiting for his order of mead at the bar he’d turn around and survey the area trying to find out who didn’t seem like a local, they’d probably not look dirty or like they shoveled dung for a living someone with the look of defeat and/or depression in their eyes… actually Graddy in retrospect figured if he didn’t have a sword on his belt and a bow on his back he probably would look the part of a local…or a highway bandit he thought to himself smirking at his own self-reflection and ridicule.

For now he’d just survey the area and see where the night took him.

OoC: Perception check looking for other adventures and if there is one any gambling going on if I don't find anyone or work room for the night won't pay for itself.
Last edited June 23, 2015 1:32 pm

Rolls

Preception Check for Surveying the room - (1d20+10)

(7) + 10 = 17

Jun 23, 2015 3:01 pm
As Graddy scans the room for outsiders he notices a woman sitting alone in strange armor shooing away a serving maid. As you spot her she seems to look right at you for a brief but significant moment before turning away. The dwarf coughs to get your attention and hands you a Mead horn.
Glenna as you scan the room though most of the people here seem engrossed in their conversations and few spare you a glance. The man who just entered lets his gaze linger on you for a moment.
Jun 23, 2015 3:30 pm
A need for income makes strange bellows.

Graddy thought to himself as he wondered about the woman in the foreign armor. She definitely stood out in this crowd, with the dwarf behind him getting his attention Graddy broke his gaze from the bar’s patrons and the woman that stood out to see what it was. Accepting the horn with a grunt Graddy motioned to the table. "’nother when ye get a minute mate, to the table, if you please." he requested tapping the bar with two gloved fingers that slide away as he moved from the bar, he took a long pull of the mead swishing it in his mouth before making his way through the crowd towards the table, mead was decent, granted when you’re on the road for a few days and the dirt seems to have gotten everywhere even inside your throat even trough water wets the whistle. In that regards this was definitely the better option, once there he’d move taking a seat directly across from the lady.

"Since you don’t seem like one of the local type love," Graddy began looking around, "What’s a lady like you doing in a place like this?" Graddy asked as he took another pull of mead keeping eye contact with the woman as he did so, he didn’t seem on edge but he wasn’t relaxed either, it didn’t sound like a pickup line as much as general curiosity in a rather direct tone.

(OoC: Is there going to be a posting order or is it hodge podge and we post whenever? If there’s an order I don’t mind waiting.)
Jun 23, 2015 3:52 pm
Tall people always seem to be in a hurry. The witch looked back smugly like she had somehow won because she would get to the wayhouse faster. Halflings enjoy a life of simpler things, slower speeds, tastier foods. Somewhere inside, even though his order has done a steady job of drilling discipline into him, Bek still craves the slower paced lifestyle of his forebears. You should not fight who you are. He can no longer think of home without remembering the day the hexers attacked and burned their smials out from the inside. He was almost not found by the inquisitors that chased the witches as he hid among the wreckage. It was because of that they figured he could be of some use.

As he arrives at the wayhouse, he looks inside and sees the bustling scene. It is not really his gig. All the people and the pretentious platitudes they give each other. He does not even drink. The order forbids imbibing on the principal that one must always be ready to recieve an attack. And so instead he takes a deep breath, heads inside, and stops by the bar to ask for his room. He orders food and asks for it to be sent up instead of eating here in the common room. As he looks about, he sees the hag flirting. He can see through her transparent ploy and curls his lips in disdain. "Would not expect anything less from her manipulative kind," he thinks to himself before making to leave the common room.
Last edited June 23, 2015 3:54 pm
Jun 23, 2015 4:09 pm
((For now I think we can just post in a casual way...the adventure begins "In the morning"))

Galena gives the road weary half-elf a small smile when he approaches and thinks to herself, "What is with these locals. Can't even give a girl the time of day!" then says to the man in front of her, "It is true, I am not from around here, though I have been here a while. I am a traveler, much like yourself. I came seeking opportunity, and may very well have found it."
Her eyes dart sideways as a halfling with an eyepatch and a half melted candle on his shoulder enters. She spares him only a moment and an exasperated huff unconsiously escapes before she returns to her conversation. "How about yourself?"
Jun 23, 2015 4:42 pm
Graddy’s ears perk up with the talk of opportunity especially since one had been supposedly found. Money seemed to have a way of motivating him if there was enough of it for the task at hand. Graddy smiles a bit around him horn of mead still on his lips at the exchange between the lady and a Halfling who seemed to also be out of place compared to the locals and her reaction to him.

"I guess looking for opportunities o’ work ‘s well, I missed my boat in the night this time around it seems, could find the meetup for the job. Bloody shame I guess, so… time to get drunk." He explained around the horn thumbing at the door taking another sip, "Name’s Graddy. If the pay outs good, I work and do my job." he explained lowering his horn and wiping his mouth and beard with his free hand before swirling the rest of the contents a bit as he stared at it before letting his gaze drift to the Halfling that seemed to be busying himself with his own agenda of tasks which didn’t seem to involve the lady or the local patrons.

"What’s yer story with the we’ bloke." he inquired nodding towards the Halfling doing his own thing, "Too much spirits one night and a bit o regret?" he jested a bit crass before taking another pull of the mead eyeing the woman.
Jun 25, 2015 10:03 pm
((It's hodgepodge until combat becomes a factor. I feel that this leads to more natural interactions.))
Jun 26, 2015 2:33 am
((Hoping I just unlocked this thread. I'm using my phone at the moment, so please let me know.))
Jun 26, 2015 2:48 am
Bek heads up to his room and begins to remove his armor. Once he only in his woolen shirt, he opens up his prayer book. "The full sum of the heretics shall be known on the Day of Judgement," he starts to read. "Pray for those that wil not pray for themselves," it continues. "Find those that will not repent and punish their transgressions. As for the doctrine which I have taught, my conscience assureth me that it is sound and according to the Word of God ... in confirmation thereof I seal the same with my blood." He takes out a small strap of rope, some caltrops tied into it and begins to flagelate his back. Not enough to cause serious damage but enough to satisfy the lord that watches over him. After a sufficient while, he stops and closes the book. He grabs a towel and wipes the sweat from his brow. Theres a knock at his door. "Hopefully that is the food," Bek thinks as he turns toward the door, small welts of blood soaking through his shirt.

Rolls

Caltrop damage - (1d4)

(3) = 3

Jun 26, 2015 3:02 am
"The payout is of questionable substance I'm afraid. Possibly nothing more than weary bines and dirt under your fingernails, but if our information is as good as our patron claims you won't be complaining. And unfortunately that's all I can say about the job. Big hush-hush business!" With this Galena gives a wink and a chortel, her words have the bite of sarcasm. "There is a touch of good news however. Our employer is looking for more help in this endeavor. So if you are up for a little more travel and you have a strong back you're willing to put to work, I can make introductions in the morning before we set off. As for the halfling, I just met him this evening. Humorless little sod who hates...well everybody as far as I can tell, but specifically," she digs a deep gouge in one of the tables planks then waves her hand and trail of blue sparks follows the motion, afterward the gouge is gone as though the wood grew back, "he dislikes spellcasters. Witches all he thinks. And my current business associate, bound to the same work I mentioned to you."

((Had to edit because Galena doesn't have Prestidigitation like I thought, so a little Mending for show instead))
Last edited June 26, 2015 3:07 am
Jun 26, 2015 3:08 am
As Bek opens the door he sees one of the barmaids standing in the hall with a tray covered by a clean white cloth, "your dinner sir. Thain said that you can bring the tray back in the morning at breakfast if you don't mind." Handing him the tray she curtsies slightly before turning back to the stairs. The smell of the soup wafts up from beneath the cloth.
Jun 26, 2015 1:45 pm
Graddy listened nodding before replying, "Huh... my missed job seemed a bit similar. Vague on the details, heavy on taking the job with little intel all around, very cloak dagger. But that's why we make the coin we do and all it'nent? High risk high reward and all that. If 'es looking for a bit of extra muscle I don't mind a bit of work if it puts ample coin in my pockets." he stated stroke his scruff with the palm of his gloved hand.

"As for the wee one everyone hates something or somebody least he's honest about it and doesn't put up airs. Everyone has a role to play you don't have to like people just work with 'em." Graddy commented slogging down the last of his mead.

Graddy eyed the woman's hand and the table and raised an eyebrow.

Right... better keep this bird away from my bow... he thought to himself.

"Well I guess I'll get a room for the night after my next one comes, can't get too drunk really with my current funds. If I get in on the job in the morning makes for a nasty journey when yur 'ead feels knackered." Graddy added looking around for his second mead. He'd spend a bit of time waiting or to see of the lady had anything else she wanted to discuss, if not he'd make due with getting a room and sleeping until he could find about getting work in the morning.

(OoC: Trying to give the other two time to finish their builds.)
Last edited June 26, 2015 1:46 pm
Jun 26, 2015 9:22 pm
As Graddy looks around he spots his second mead heading towards him in the hands of a rather large buxom blond barmaid. She deftly maneuvers through the room towards him. Upon arriving she trades horns since Graddy had not thought to ask for a stand for the first. With a Northern accent she asks, "So! Would ze lady liek a drink now? Or am I just to go away again?"
Jun 26, 2015 10:40 pm
Bek takes the tray and sets it on his desk. He says a quick prayer of thanks and then lifts the towel to set in. He thinks of ways to research where they are going but for the most part he is stuck here in this backwater until the morning. He finishes his soup and prepares for bed. Before he falls asleep, he retrieves the adamantine arrow from his pack and whispers over it. "One day I will find you." He locks the door and crawls into bed, his hand holding the arrow.
Jun 27, 2015 8:21 pm
"I'll take a honey mead please." She seems a little dejected that she didn't catch any fish, but tries not to let it show.
Jun 27, 2015 11:31 pm
Ov course! Von honey mead! She moves away the takes a few orders on the way.
Jul 1, 2015 10:31 pm
[[At this point I'd like to say that we have 5 characters and the last two are free to introduce themselves at any point in this "night" as I will not be continuing until they have done so.]]
Jul 2, 2015 12:05 pm
[[OoC: I was kind of waiting to see if Ms. Galena wanted to keep talking to the cheapskate, new player entered or living discussion over farming potatoes over beets since knowing is half the battle. Also if everyone is away for the holiday weekend state side have a Happy 4th!]]
Jul 2, 2015 5:15 pm
At the edge of the woods, Urthask gently signaled for Arktos to stop and the great bear slowed to a halt, allowing his rider to dismount. The hulking, armored half-orc patted his best friend's furry neck soothingly. The bear rumbled reassuringly. For many moons they had been traveling, so very far from the icy plains they called home, on the trail of the Lost Riders, as his tribe called them. The riders were Urthask's kin by blood, but also his brothers in arms. For countless generations the frostkin half-orcs had spilled much blood in the defense of their home from invaders and wild beasts of the tundra. One of the most savage of these beasts was the ghost bear, a fearsome animal with white fur, a rime of frost around its muzzle, and pale blue eyes. Urthask’s father, Galazur, learned to befriend and train these beasts, turning a fearsome enemy into a valuable ally. He taught other warriors to become Beast Riders and inducted them into an elite fighting group that called themselves the Order of the Bear. Two summers ago Galazur had set out with four hand-picked Riders on a mission to learn what they could of the lost city of Graystone. No one, not even those of the Order, knew what Galazur hoped to find or what they hoped to accomplish with it, but they had never been heard from again. Now Urthask and Arktos were attempting to track them down and learn what had become of them.

Urthask strained his eyes towards the lights of human habitation in the near distance - Boltic by name, he had learned. His eyes scanned the clearing warily. He and Arktos had no fear of travelling by night but it had been a long stretch and both were looking forward to some rest. He wasn't eager to visit another settlement though. Their last few encounters with civilized folk had gone less than favorably. Few places were very welcoming to half-orcs in general, never mind a rough barbarian and his bear mount that tended to spook all the horses. The had been chased out of the last town. It had been difficult stopping Arktos from tearing the town guard to shreds on the way out. They would rather have avoided all contact with civilization altogether but it was important that they leave no stone unturned on their search. As it was, clues were few and far between. But the trail had not yet gone cold.

Urthask looked up at the stars. The Great Bear was high in the night sky. A good omen. They would camp in this clearing tonight, he decided, and visit the settlement in the morning. He began setting up their camp.
Last edited July 17, 2015 4:58 pm
Jul 2, 2015 5:37 pm
Galena accepts her drink when the waitress brings it, sits quietly and drinks. Not ignoring the man at her table but not offering to continue the conversation on her own.
Jul 6, 2015 2:32 pm
Having set up camp (no fire - nighttime in these southlands are quite balmy compared to home) Urthask gives Arktos the haunch of the deer they caught the other day. He himself munches on the last of the bison jerky. After their meal the young rider strips off his armor but keeps his weapons at hand. He leans against the bear's warm flank and wonders for the thousandth time about Galazur and the Lost Riders. Where are they now? Have they found what it is that they seek? Urthask longs to hear their voices again. What tales they would tell!
Jul 8, 2015 1:13 pm
With a bit of small talk and a possible job offer in the morrow Graddy was a bit out of options for topics. He could ask a bit about the lady's past but that might be a touché subject. Granted that means he'd have to cough up a bit of his past as well. After a side glance toward his new possible work associate he nodded and drank his mead and people watched. Being able to be quiet was oddly refreshing. Actually it was pretty easy to remain perfectly still when not drinking and look around the tavern.
Jul 11, 2015 12:25 am
As Urthask lets his mind wander he is brought back to earth with a polite cough from across his camp. He is unsure how the heavily cloaked man now sitting across from him arrived unnoticed by himself and Arktos both. A masculine voice speaks from beneath the hood, "Just sitting here won't help you find your lost clansmen, I did hear some tales of them and can help if you're willing to join a few people in completing a task for me."
Jul 11, 2015 7:01 am
OOC: Urthask didn't light a campfire. :-)
Startled & angry, both bear and half-orc scramble to their feet and take defensive stance. "What?! Who goes there? How do you know of Urthask, son of Galazur?!!"
Last edited July 17, 2015 5:06 pm
Jul 12, 2015 5:40 pm
Ooc: whoops, camp implies fire to me, problem edited.

Careful now young warrior, I'd hate for there to be a misunderstanding between us. And I keep track of the people who would search for the ruins of graystone.
Jul 13, 2015 8:06 am
Instead of relaxing, Urthask tenses up. "Your name. Tell me, stranger. You know of Galazur's Riders?"
Jul 13, 2015 9:47 pm
"Call me Bane if you like. I know of a misguided group of half-orks that rode their bears into the plains towards the ruins of Graystone. What fate they met there I have no idea of, but I have knowledge that will help you survive to discover their fates. That is if you're interested." Bane holds up his empty hands as he speaks to the tense Urthask.
Jul 15, 2015 4:09 am
Urthask lowers his weapon but stays wary. "I'm listening."
Last edited July 15, 2015 4:11 am
Jul 16, 2015 12:18 am
"This is an exchange, which means I need something from you as well." As he starts to talk Bane pulls a rolled scroll out from his robe. "What I need from you is for you to agree to search within Graystone for an item of interest to me. You'll be able to search for your clansmen while you're there, because they did at least make it to the entrance before I lost track of them. However you'll also need to work with a small group of people that are going to help you survive while you're within, some of them have signed this contract and the others missed the meeting and will have to do so in the morning when they set out. If you agree to my terms I'll give you information that will help you find Graystone and to survive what is there. Do we have a deal?" By the end of this Bane has also pulled out a quill and ink while passing the scroll to Urthask.
Jul 17, 2015 5:01 pm
Urthask takes the scroll and reads. "My people speak solemn oaths and those oaths we keep. I'll sign your paper, little man, but it means nothing to me. I will return your lost bauble to you." Urthask signs his name, then points up at the stars. "This I swear on the Great Bear and the ashes of my ancestors. Urthask, son of Galazur, swears this." He hands the contract back to Bane. "In addition to the promised reward you will tell me what you know of Graystone and of my lost clansmen."

After a pause he adds, "Also, I am low on supplies."
Last edited July 17, 2015 5:07 pm
Jul 23, 2015 11:36 pm
Bane chuckles, "I will tell you of Graystone in the morning when I tell your companions outside of the wayhouse in Boltic. You can spend the night there or here, whichever you prefer. You will also be resupplied since you need it. Also your down payment." Here he pauses to toss a large gem to Urthask. "As for your lost clansmen, I know that they entered the ruins of Graystone a fortnight ago. Perhaps a week before that the Plainspeople attacked them only one of your clansmen fell and a dozen of their foes were slaughtered before fleeing. This is where I believe that they first heard of the lost city, as the Plainspeople are it's guardian. They were well stocked with supplies and as well prepared as they could have been not knowing what lies within. As to their current condition I do not know, that depends on what they have encountered."
Jul 24, 2015 6:18 am
Urthask examines the gem briefly before pocketing it reverently, hoping his excitement isn't too obvious to the stranger. His people never cared very much for gold or silver. Gems, however...gems represented the celestial bodies. Outsiders often think of his tribe as brutish barbarians, hardly more civilized than animals, but his people are warrior poets, composing epic skalds and songs telling of mighty deeds and the beauty of the land they call home. Furthermore, the frostkin are astronomers. The tundra is littered with stone circles and monoliths, complex monuments built by his ancestors, that study the movements of the heavens, and tracking the journey of the sun across the sky, marking equinox and solstice. This star sapphire that this stranger Bane has just given him is precious. The renewed hope of finding the Lost Riders is even more so.

"You and the others you've contracted will find us here in the morning." Urthask says, his hand on Arktos' great neck.
Last edited July 27, 2015 11:27 am
Aug 3, 2015 10:59 pm
Bane shrugs and walks into the shadows. As Galena and Graddy eye each other over their drinks Bane walks into the Wayhouse and sits at their table. He still wears his hood and his face remains hidden within. "You missed the meeting Graddy, what delayed you?"
Aug 4, 2015 4:17 pm
"Either I showed up late or went to the wrong clearing I’m guessing, can’t say knowing my way around backwoods would be my strong suite." Graddy explained in an even tone, it wasn’t apologetic or accusing really before he paused and finished his mug,

"Lady here stated someone had a bit of work where more boots might be needed, I’m figure if the offer still stands as long as it’s not running around trying to find clearings in the forest I’m up for the job if it pays well. I’ve already meet the short wanker specializing in giving people the stink eye. If I’m hired I figure we’re headed off somewhere in the morning, do a task, get payment on completion. Then we’ll be ‘s right as rain mate." Graddy added eying the possible employer.

People with secrets weren’t really something Graddy got curious about, as long as they paid up and it didn’t lead to a double cross he didn’t really care if it was a group of intelligent forest creatures messing with them, just as long as they paid well in the end.
Aug 8, 2015 7:06 pm
Within his hood Bane grins the grin of a predator, "Why you were late is no longer really of any concern to me, since you were not intercepted as it seems so many others were. The lady is under contract by me as I'd like you to be and also correct in thinking we will be needing more... boots." Here Bane pauses to slide the scroll across the table towards Graddy, "As long as you are willing to agree with the terms within than sign on the line provided and you will start tomorrow morning."
Aug 10, 2015 5:30 pm
Graddy shrugged and took the parchment unfirling in and giving it a once over. "Right well isn’t it grand we could clear all that up…" Graddy stated giving it a once over, "looks propa so ‘ou want it signed ‘n blood o ink mate?" Graddy inquired tapping the scroll and the a aforementioned line, "Seemed to not bring a quill with me." he added.

(OoC: No idea if Graddy can actually read though... XD Ha!)
Aug 10, 2015 9:44 pm
Bane slides ink and a quill across the table to Graddy, "Ink will suffice."
Aug 11, 2015 11:46 am
Graddy nodded and picked up the quill and dabbed into the ink scrawling out his mark. "Well with that done I'm off to bed contract won't complete itself. Boss... Blue.." he stated before standing and nodding back to the two before leaving. Graddy talked to the proprietor for a room for the night. Taking off his armor once in the room he crashed hard falling fast asleep with a knife still in his hand. Visions of riches after the job dancing through his mind.
Aug 11, 2015 11:01 pm
Galena too calls it a night seeing as nothing interesting was likely to happen. In her room she contemplated what the next day will bring. She also hesitates to dismiss her eidolon, but In the end decides to do it and sleep one last night as herself, alone before the long weeks of the adventure that are sure to come.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.