Hey there!

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Sep 19, 2017 9:30 am
Hello all! Glad to have found this site.

I'm in my 30s, married with two kids, a pastor by vocation, and an avid gamer by nature. Been playing video games since I can remember, and in my 20s I discovered tabletop RPGs. I'm usually the GM, but I get a chance to play on the odd occasion. I build characters for fun, most of whom never see play :)

I enjoy listening to a select few gaming podcasts—the Order 66 Podcast (to which I owe so much), The Knowledge Check, Tales From The Hydian Way, and of course Dragon Talk. I voraciously consume Geek & Sundry's GM Tips, Matt Colville's Running The Game, and How To Be A Great Gamemaster/Roleplayer channels on YouTube. I also frequent the Star Wars forums on the FFG Community (insert Cheers theme song).

Not sure what else to say! But I'm looking forward to rolling here.
Sep 19, 2017 9:34 am
Oh. Also. I currently DM for one group of all-newbie players who are currently going through the D&D Beginner adventure and loving it, and I have a live Star Wars game in the works, scheduled to start here in a couple weeks.
Sep 19, 2017 9:52 am
Glad to have you here! :-) Welcome!
Sep 19, 2017 9:58 am
Welcome!
Sep 19, 2017 10:15 am
Nice to meet you and welcome to the site.
Last edited September 19, 2017 10:16 am
Sep 19, 2017 11:08 am
Welcome awaypturwpn! Definitely seems like your a Star Wars fan; I assume you'll be looking for a game of it here? And quite the GM training as well!
Sep 19, 2017 11:39 am
Welcome!
Sep 19, 2017 12:57 pm
Welcome :)
Sep 19, 2017 3:53 pm
Welcome!
Sep 19, 2017 5:53 pm
Hey apuw!

I see I finally managed to tempt you into seeing what the Darkside is all about... E-e-excellent.

Seriously tho, welcome. Hope you find something that interests you.

Just as I was contemplating starting up a new SWRPG campaign too...
Sep 19, 2017 9:43 pm
Welcome!
Sep 19, 2017 9:54 pm
Welcome, awaypturwpn. (Ok, just got that, heh.)
Sep 20, 2017 1:54 am
Hello and welcome!
Sep 20, 2017 4:19 pm
Hello and welcome!
Sep 20, 2017 6:57 pm
Keleth says:
Welcome awaypturwpn! Definitely seems like your a Star Wars fan; I assume you'll be looking for a game of it here?
Yeah, would love to play some Star Wars or D&D here. Just looking for a little player perspective and get some more game rules under my belt, so that I can better GM when called for.
Sep 20, 2017 6:57 pm
emsquared says:
Hey apuw!

I see I finally managed to tempt you into seeing what the Darkside is all about... E-e-excellent.

Seriously tho, welcome. Hope you find something that interests you.

Just as I was contemplating starting up a new SWRPG campaign too...
Sweet! I'm down. Let me know :)
Sep 20, 2017 9:24 pm
If/when ready (currently gathering lore, formulating ideas) I'll put up a post in the Games Tavern, so just keep an eye out there. But I will say I drew some amount of inspiration from you and DaverWattra's PVP fight on the F&D forums - which is to say I want to feature PVP elements in the game...
Sep 20, 2017 9:52 pm
Interesting! Are you thinking full-on Hunger Games, or what?
Sep 20, 2017 11:41 pm
Not quite :P

For one, while I want to use PVP as a story element, I also want a setting where the F&D Morality mechanic could be employed effectively - it would be an F&D campaign, highly focused on the Force/FUs. So, while at first I was thinking I could set it in a "Sith Academy", where competition is not only encouraged but indeed pivotal to their philosophy/way of life, that would make tracking Morality kind of pointless, and besides I didn't want to GM a bunch of "chaotic stupid" shenanigans.

But, I had read "Into the Void" of the Dawn of Jedi Expanded Universe series, and (while I know this is a real hot-button issue these days...) with the Je'daii Order's focus on "Balance in the Force", it seemed like a much more ripe setting to meet both of those criteria (potential Darkside users right in their with the Lightside, for some juicy RP/PVP/Morality/all the things). And so I'm researching that era and setting a little more thoroughly. Also I like GMing in the EU as not only am I much more familiar with it than the new canon (read a bunch of the Old Republic novels), but it gives me more freedom to do more adventurous things..

PCs would be either Padawan or Journeyers (probably 50-150 bonus xp after chargen) in the century or decades leading up to the Despot War. Trying to complete their Je'daii training and getting embroiled in criminal syndicate and Galactic political plots.

The PVP elements wouldn't be to the death, just in the context of Je'daii training or inter-Temple competitions or something. A tool to create drama, and hopefully have a fun in-game "Fight Club".
Sep 21, 2017 12:16 am
Fun!
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.