Burning Wheel Gold

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 25, 2017 8:29 pm
Someone was looking to play a game of BWG over on Reddit. I've been looking for a pbp game for a bit and this seemed like a good opportunity to run one again. We'll do some setting discussion/planning here before we actually make the game and burn up characters.

To start, I'm not a big fan of western fantasy. I'd prefer to play in a setting that doesn't have those feudal trappings. I'm open to play in another published fantasy setting or something we develop as part of out game burning.
Oct 25, 2017 11:13 pm
I'd be interested in playing in this game, I just started to read through the book, so I will actually know the rules. I'm also quite happy to make/use a non-standard non-western fantasy setting. If we get others in here, I can start throwing out my weird ideas for settings if people would like.
Oct 26, 2017 12:11 am
I'd be interested in joining as well
Oct 26, 2017 1:40 am
Hi all!

I'm one of the people from Reddit. Still interested. :)

Non-feudal is fine with me but I'd prefer to start with what's in the rulebook at first, as this is my first BW game.

A few questions:

Who's the DM?

What is our expected posting rate? (I've personally found that once/weekday works to keep things flowing).

Preferred number of players?

Can we make a commitment to play for a certain amount of time? Too many php games fizzle in the first month.
Oct 26, 2017 1:48 am
I am planning to be the GM for the game. We will stick with the material in the Gold rule book, but will rename Lifepaths that don't fit our vision of the setting. I'm not going to be making new LPs for this game.

I also like a once per weekday posting schedule. As far as players, I think 4 should be good. Commitment? I've never done that in a pbp game, but it's something to discuss!

Edit: Oh! I like the idea of having a Discord or Google chat for the group for faster access and team building but the game posts will go in the forum, I think. Just an idea.
Last edited October 26, 2017 1:50 am
Oct 26, 2017 1:55 am
Follow-up question: ;)

I've played by post a tonne but not on this site.

From what I see, BW is not one of its 'systems'. I guess we'll find a decent text-based BW character sheet to work from?

Edit: Discord chat sounds great!
Last edited October 26, 2017 1:55 am
Oct 26, 2017 2:07 am
discord sounds great. I am new to burning wheel in general so if you can help me learn the system then i'd be glad to join
Oct 26, 2017 2:27 am
I have no problem with people in the group learning the rules. I will ask that you learn the rules, however. Burning Wheel excels when everyone does so.
Oct 26, 2017 11:03 am
I volunteer as tribute. I've played and ran a fair bit of Burning Wheel.
Oct 26, 2017 11:19 am
Reddit OP here. I'm cool with a change to the setting. As for sheets, I believe Roll20 has them for Burning Wheel, so we could host our sheets there and play here. Discord or Google Chat both work fine for me for character creation, but I'm not sure if they have any built in dice rollers. I've got a dice roller bot I might be able to bring into Google Chat as I'm pretty sure that runs on XMPP/Jabber. I've already tested it out a bit getting my Warhammer Fantasy campaign started, so I know it works and can bring it into a chat.
Oct 26, 2017 1:47 pm
So, we've got 5 interested players. What kind of game are you interested in? Action? Intrigue? Relationship drama? I want to have a well rounded game, but a focus, knowing what type of interaction is the default, is useful.
Oct 26, 2017 2:46 pm
I binged watched a bunch of videos the other day. The system is interesting. I'd be down to join, if you don't mind a BW noob. Unless you guys are full then have fun!
Oct 26, 2017 3:00 pm
You can import a die roller bot into Discord.

Well-rounded game sounds good to me. I'll write a couple General ideas for a focus later.
Oct 26, 2017 4:00 pm
Action or intrigue would both be cool. Not 100% sure what you mean by relationship drama, less enthusiastic about it but still okay with it from the sound of it. Maybe we should pick our players and move into our group chat to hammer out the details?
Oct 26, 2017 4:13 pm
I agree with the DM that learning / knowing the rules is important. I'm just learning them now but I'm a quick study. (I know Mouse Guard so it's not as much of a stretch.)
Oct 26, 2017 6:09 pm
If you're familiar with Mouse Guard then you've got a good base for the rules.

I'm pretty busy today, so I'll try and get the chat created tomorrow at some point, if I can't make time today.

Once that's done I'll send invites to join.
Oct 26, 2017 9:12 pm
I am not familiar with Mouse Guard
Oct 26, 2017 9:31 pm
Here are a few off-the-cuff thoughts on possible themes:

- Urban Skulduggery. Politics and thievery and smuggling?

- Hardcore survival in a post-apocalyptic world where technology has reverted to the Iron Age... with magic and maybe rare (technological) artifiacts.

- People living in a very remote outpost from their civilization. Possible contact with another culture?

- Escapees from a prison / prison camp.

- Spies behind the lines in a war.

I'm up for anything, just throwing some ideas out there.
Last edited October 26, 2017 9:32 pm
Oct 26, 2017 9:32 pm
thatguy2 says:
I am not familiar with Mouse Guard
That's not a problem, at all.
Oct 26, 2017 9:33 pm
I'm definitely still interested in playing. As I said above, reading through the rulebook now, so I will know the rules (at least somewhat) once we begin. I think I'd like a relationship drama or intrigue focus, too many games focus on action. Also, it might be interesting to explore some non-western settings, the middle east (ancient Persia is just filled with gameable stuff), or maybe Imperial China. I realize that both of these are huge spaces, like saying "medieval Europe," but if we have that point to jump from it would be very interesting. We could also consider high or low magic settings. I prefer high magic and a bit of revisionist history to make those time periods less eminently racist/sexist, but exploring those issues definitely can make for interesting gaming.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.