Howdy folks

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 26, 2017 7:13 pm
Hi everyone
I'm new to tabletop RPG's. So new that I have never played one. It started when my kids found out about D&D while watching Teen Titans Go, believe it or not. They have been asking to play a game for a while and I've been doing some homework trying to create a simple adventure for them to enjoy. I started listening to some D&D podcasts to get some ideas and that's when I started to realise that I would like to play too. The snag is that no one I know has played, or want to play. But it's an itch I want to scratch. I found this site listening to the RPG Academy Podcast and I like the idea of play-by-post because life is pretty busy.

Hoping to get started playing while also learning so I can home brew some schwifty games for my kids
Oct 26, 2017 7:18 pm
Welcome Adop_88! Depending on the age of your kids, you may want to look into No Thank You, Evil! by Monte Cooke Games. Though if they're playing DnD, they may not need it :p

Regardless, welcome to GP, a great spot for busy adults who want to game but don't have the time. Are you only interested in DnD, or looking at other systems as well? And I'm kinda curious how far you are into the RPGA Podcast; I didn't think we'd been mentioned there in a while.
Oct 26, 2017 7:19 pm
Welcome!
Oct 26, 2017 7:47 pm
Keleth says:
Welcome Adop_88! Depending on the age of your kids, you may want to look into No Thank You, Evil! by Monte Cooke Games. Though if they're playing DnD, they may not need it :p

Regardless, welcome to GP, a great spot for busy adults who want to game but don't have the time. Are you only interested in DnD, or looking at other systems as well? And I'm kinda curious how far you are into the RPGA Podcast; I didn't think we'd been mentioned there in a while.
My kids are 7 & 5 so pretty young. I will check out that suggestion. I'm open to all games really, it's just that D&D is the biggest name. With regards to RPG Academy, I am not very far into it. I heard of them and then went through to start at the beginning. They had an interview with someone about meta gaming and that guy mentioned this site. It sounded pretty cool to me
Oct 26, 2017 8:04 pm
Adop_88 says:
My kids are 7 & 5 so pretty young. I will check out that suggestion. I'm open to all games really, it's just that D&D is the biggest name. With regards to RPG Academy, I am not very far into it. I heard of them and then went through to start at the beginning. They had an interview with someone about meta gaming and that guy mentioned this site. It sounded pretty cool to me
That may have been me... I don't know, honestly. I've done an interview involving a lot of meta-gaming, but I don't remember who it was with...
Oct 26, 2017 8:23 pm
No better way to get into RPGs than with your kids.

Welcome!
Oct 27, 2017 12:18 am
Welcome to GP. Besides PbP you can find real life games by asking around at the Local Friendly Game Store. They seem to be popping up everywhere these days. I got back in to gaming by looking for stuff on Facebook for my area. Now I play in a few regular IRL games and a couple of games here.

Anyways, have fun!
Oct 27, 2017 1:55 am
Ayy, that's awesome. Welcome to GP! You can always get the 5e Starter Set for cheap and look through that for something simple to run. Comes with pre-generated characters. Also, the DnD board games are neat. They simplify things a bit, but come with miniatures and game tiles to get ya going. Can find them used probably, worth checking out.

Hope you get to play a bit too. See ya around!
Oct 27, 2017 1:59 am
Welcome!
Oct 27, 2017 2:34 am
Welcome! I'm confident you'll find something to join here.There is some great advice in this thread for you, but I want to add Meetup (dot) com as another way to find people.
Oct 27, 2017 8:43 am
Welcome, Adop_88! Happy gaming! :-)
Oct 27, 2017 6:06 pm
Welcome! Never too late to start gaming!
Oct 28, 2017 11:08 am
Welcome :)
Nov 3, 2017 2:44 pm
Hello and Welcome!

As for RPGs for kids, I've found quite a few. Hero Kids, Witch Girls Adventures, Mermaid Adventures, Castle Attack, First Fable, Laser Ponies, Meddling Kids, Monster Box, RAWR!, Rooftops & Reindeers, Santa vs. Santa, My Little Pony: Roleplaying is Magic, The Prince's Kingdom, etc. Some are free, some are cheap, some are not...
Last edited November 3, 2017 2:44 pm
Nov 4, 2017 5:03 pm
Welcome!

My six-year-old loves Hero Kids.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.