What's everyone reading?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Nov 16, 2017 1:52 pm
I'm curious what everyone is currently reading. Discussion might help a bunch of us discover new stuff to love. Also, I bet there are more than a few novelists (both aspiring and established) within this community so this might be a good place to learn about people's work!

I'll start: I'm currently rereading the Dragonlance Chronicles. Yeah, no new discoveries here. I first read these 30 years ago. I've just introduced my girlfriend to the series and so I'm reading along so we can discuss it. :-)
Nov 16, 2017 2:03 pm
I'm currently reading the D&D 5th edition monster manual which I bought a few months ago. I'm also re-reading the Dungeonslayers 4th edition rulebook because of the games I'm running. I'm also reading the Morningstar setting book from Goodman Games which was included in the bundle with the rare and hard to get Discovering Dusters from Eilfin Publishing for their discontinued Undiscovered roleplaying games... Finally, I'm also reading Dungeon Crawl Classics #1 Idylls of the rat king as I'm currently converting it to Dungeonslayers 4th edition as I'm thinking of eventually running this game for my RPG club I run every Thursdays.
Nov 16, 2017 2:13 pm
I end up rereading the Kingkiller Chronicles (Patrick Rothfuss) and The Stormlight Archives (Brandon Sanderson) all the time. The third book of Stormlight was just released, so I'm looking to pick up a copy to get started on. Otherwise, my reading has waned a bit as of late. Since I started my new job, I have a very short subway ride (<5 minutes), which is where I got a large chunk of my reading done previously (20 min previously).
Nov 16, 2017 2:17 pm
Yeah, reading on the bus or in waiting rooms is a big classic. This is also where I do most of my readings.
Nov 16, 2017 2:40 pm
I'm starting a re-read of the Wheel of Time books - probably for the 12th time if not higher by this stage :) Other than that I have the nightly 'thrill' of reading such classics as 'One ted falls out of bed', 'The Gruffalo's Child', and 'The Owl and the Pussycat' among dozens of other similar titles :-)
Nov 16, 2017 3:22 pm
I'm reading a bunch of random trivia books because I host a local pub trivia.
Nov 16, 2017 4:05 pm
Reading the Elric of Melnibone' series at the moment. Had been hearing about it for a long time, as a classic. But I'm finding it to be kind of "meh".

Before that I had just finished up the Gentleman Bastards series, which was completely friggin' awesome. If you haven't read these books, and like gritty fantasy, do yourself a massive favor and check them out.
mcneils5 says:
Other than that I have the nightly 'thrill' of reading such classics as 'One ted falls out of bed', 'The Gruffalo's Child', and 'The Owl and the Pussycat' among dozens of other similar titles :-)
Hah, yea, I've also been reading a lot of 'Room on the Broom' and 'The Gruffalo'.

Len

Nov 16, 2017 4:23 pm
For everyone with kids, there is an amazing trilogy of wordless childrens' stories by Aaron Becker about a boy and girl who find magic crayons whose drawings come to life. They draw a door and go into the magic world where the crayons come from, and become heroes of that world.

The first book is called Journey, followed by Quest and Return. It has no words. Just beautiful fantasy art that tells a tale. The readers have to come up with the story, the character and place names, the reasons why things are happening. This is a story that shares narrative control with its audience, just like an RPG!

We started reading these books with my boys when they were in their late 3s, but as an adult I thoroughly enjoyed them. They are great for kids because they can read the story with an adult or by themselves, and my kids have endlessly played with their crayons as if they were magical. Most importantly, they get to be part authors of the story. My kids named the main characters after the color of their crayons - Redder and Purpler - and the BBEG is known as "The Gold Knight" and his army of "Grey Knights" which have become words that carry as much meaning as Darth Vader and Stormtroopers in our house.

https://i1.wp.com/www.allthewonders.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/QUEST.int_.2.jpg
Last edited November 16, 2017 5:24 pm
Nov 16, 2017 5:12 pm
I think I may go buy that crayon book, even though I don't have kids lol.

Currently I just finished re-reading The Little Prince. It's actually the only book I read once a year. It's great, y'all should read it!

Len

Nov 16, 2017 5:30 pm
In adult fiction, I am finishing the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Kinda crazy long, but what a ride. Inspired by a D&D campaign, written by an anthropologist, and spans 500,000 years of history. Definitely follows in the footsteps of dark fantasy like The Black Company. If you like deep world building, high magic, intricate plots, and dark humour you are in for a treat.
Nov 16, 2017 8:12 pm
Reading the third Stormlight Archive book, Oathbringer, now. About one-third of the way through right now.
Nov 16, 2017 8:14 pm
Naatkinson says:
Reading the third Stormlight Archive book, Oathbringer, now. About one-third of the way through right now.
I need to buy it, ASAP...
Nov 16, 2017 11:39 pm
Keleth says:
Naatkinson says:
I need to buy it, ASAP...
It's soooooo good so far :) Definitely pick it up immediately!
Nov 17, 2017 12:08 am
I'm mostly reading ARCs (Advance Reader Copy) for indie authors. I get a free copy of them pre-release in exchange for posting "an honest review" when they go live on Amazon. As such, I'm reading a bunch of stuff, flitting between paranormal romances / regular romances, plus some guts & gore extreme horror. Funny side note: since I'm writing a high fantasy romance for NaNoWriMo while reading extreme horror (Convenience by Andrew Mackay), I'm not sure that the story is going to go where I had envisioned it. We're supposed to do horrible things to our characters, right?

One indie author I'm really liking is Diane Morrison, and her Wyrd West stories. Each book is a novella, set in a steampunk western setting, with elves and such. Anyone who played in my Strange West game here would love them.

I read Elantris by Sanderson last year, plus his contributions to the Wheel of Time series, and wasn't overly impressed. I do have The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss that I've heard good things about.
Quote:
In adult fiction, I am finishing the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. Kinda crazy long, but what a ride. Inspired by a D&D campaign, written by an anthropologist, and spans 500,000 years of history. Definitely follows in the footsteps of dark fantasy like The Black Company. If you like deep world building, high magic, intricate plots, and dark humour you are in for a treat.
I've been reading book 8 of Malazan for 18 months now. I just can't seem to devote the time to finish it. I really love the series, though, and want to see it through.
Nov 17, 2017 12:39 am
Qralloq, I edit the indie reviews section for the British Fantasy Society and get tons of review material from the horror, sci fi and fantasy genres. I'm always on the lookout for keen reviewers if you're interested, membership not necessary. Drop me a DM if it's something you'd like to try.
Nov 17, 2017 2:25 pm
Currently reading Snow Crash, just finished the third book in the Malazan Book of the Fallen series and finished Brandon Sanderson's Mistborn series a few months ago. Starting to want to read some non-fiction soon :)
Nov 19, 2017 2:44 am
I'm reading Democracy and Education by John Dewey, but I'm not sure that's the page-turner people might be looking for.

However, I also just started Old Man's War by John Scalzi, and so far it looks to be a fun book.
Nov 21, 2017 1:40 pm
Currently reading The Six-Gun Tarot by R.S. Belcher. A weird western book. It is pretty good and has a decidedly Deadlands like feeling, at least the supernatural side of Deadlands.
Nov 22, 2017 4:51 pm
I'm on vacation, so I get to read! :)

I will say that I'll give a big +1 to the Malazan series of books. I read them when they originally came out and couldn't wait to get my hands on the next one. I was sad to see it end, but it was such a great ride (and world). Awesome stuff and one of my all time favorites.

Currently reading the third book in the Linesman series by S. K. Dunstall (Convergence, IIRC). I just recently finished Revenger by Alistair Reynolds.
Nov 26, 2017 6:55 pm
Currently I'm reading "The sound of the beast" (an essay on history of metal, from Black Sabbath to a few yeas ago) and "The ego tunnel" (nice theory on the illusion of consciousness). I've seen at the library "Jerusalem" by Alan Moore and I was thinking about buying it... but it's more than 1.000 pages long... Maybe next Christmas!

You do not have permission to post in this thread.