Advantage/Disadvantage D&D 5e

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 17, 2015 9:04 am
Would it be hard to implement this mechanic on D&D 5th edition games? I was thinking something like:

Adv1d20+5 or dis1d20+5 so when you roll the system rolls twice and automatically takes the lower and outputs "1d20+5 - ( 4 ) + 5 = 9 after disadvantage." or make it system agnostic command: lower1d20+5, higher1d20+5.

Maybe something a little different. like 2d20v1 for disadvantage or 2d20^1 for advantage. Just throwing ideas around. It isn't completely needed because we can always roll twice and let the GM adjudicate.
Jun 17, 2015 1:06 pm
This is doable. It's a question of if text commands or input boxes are better. Let's see if others respond on how, and I'll draw up some plans.
Jul 19, 2015 1:44 pm
Input boxes would be great, dropdown or tick box. Would also be great to combine rolls like 1d20+1d4 etc.
Jul 19, 2015 1:50 pm
Dice math is planned.
Jul 20, 2015 4:36 pm
Thumbs up on this :-)

DMCInactive forever!

Aug 21, 2015 3:30 pm
Any further input on this regarding Adv./Disadv.?

In Roll20, I just have macros set to roll 2d20 every single time, using the relevant dice when needed. If it's a straight roll, we just use the first one of the two.

Rolling 2d20 here gives you the results of the two rolls just fine, you'd just have to manually add in your modifiers.

Rolls
2d20
( 11, 16 ) = 27
Last edited August 21, 2015 3:32 pm
Aug 21, 2015 3:37 pm
The idea I'm working on is doing something like 1d20[adv] or 1d20[dadv] (those texts are up for discussion), where it would take said dice and roll it twice, taking either the higher or lower as needed. So you could do 1d20[adv]+5 or 1d20[dadv]+5 and it would roll two, take the higher/lower as needed, and add 5.

DMCInactive forever!

Aug 21, 2015 4:17 pm
Sounds great!
Aug 28, 2015 11:22 am
What would also be cool is a 'hide roll' mode, so that players would see the reason/result but not the dice rolled, like in a tabletop game
Aug 28, 2015 11:46 am
For adv/disadv: Currently, instead of putting 2d20+modifier in the input box I roll 1d20+modifier, 1d20+modifier. This gives you the two results and you just manually pick which one goes. Works fine for me :-)
Aug 28, 2015 3:05 pm
Biscuitfiend says:
What would also be cool is a 'hide roll' mode, so that players would see the reason/result but not the dice rolled, like in a tabletop game
Unless the code isn't working, that exists: when you're rolling dice, there are visibility settings. Picking "Hide Roll/Result" will show the dice rolled and the reason, but not the result of the dice/roll, and "Hide Dice & Roll" Shows just the reason.
Sep 1, 2015 8:29 pm
Am I the only one who thinks it's fine as is just making two rolls? I don't know how to mess with coding, so changing this might be really easy, but it just seems like a solution looking for a problem.
Sep 1, 2015 8:41 pm
I do aim to make it a pretty comprehensive roller, so I don't mind the change or suggestions at all, but I figure everyone playing DnD5 games right now (and there are a BUNCH) are just rolling twice.
Sep 3, 2015 3:38 pm
I used to do two separate rolls but now I put two [1d20+modifier] separated by commas in the same roll (results in less clutter).

On a side note, I just discovered that the roller doesn't do division. Or did I get the syntax wrong?
Sep 3, 2015 3:40 pm
Currently the roller only does addition/subtraction, and only as a modifier to a roll. I'm working on having it do more complex math.
Sep 16, 2015 7:54 pm
Yeah, so far I have done it as d20+2,d20+2 and then the dm can apply the higher/lower if advantage/disadvantage or just the first roll if there is none.
Sep 16, 2015 7:59 pm
From my perspective, the site does the basic stuff you need to play a game... but the point of making Gamers' Plane was that it should have more to make playing PbP easier. After all, every other PbP site out there gives you the basic tools... I'd like to think GP does a lot of stuff uniquely.
Sep 16, 2015 8:26 pm
I just discovered the "roll","roll" functionality... super useful for just this sort of thing.
Last edited September 16, 2015 8:26 pm
Sep 16, 2015 8:34 pm
Qralloq says:
I just discovered the "roll","roll" functionality... super useful for just this sort of thing.
Sorry, I don't follow?
Sep 16, 2015 8:37 pm
Keleth says:

Unless the code isn't working, that exists: when you're rolling dice, there are visibility settings. Picking "Hide Roll/Result" will show the dice rolled and the reason, but not the result of the dice/roll, and "Hide Dice & Roll" Shows just the reason.
I use the hidden rolls, but I think one format is missing. I might want the players to see "damage" and the final result of the roll, but not see which dice I rolled or the modifier. Like in a real game behind a screen

I could select 'hide roll/result' and post the result in the text, but that means I could fudge rolls. I like players to know I am being honest :p

What do you think? Too fussy?
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.