PbP plus Roll20 for tactical combat?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Len

Nov 27, 2017 3:53 pm
Has anyone conducted their combats in a PbP game in Roll20 (or some other virtual tabletop) for grid-based tactical combat? How did it go? Was it worth it?
Last edited November 27, 2017 3:53 pm
Nov 27, 2017 4:08 pm
Given that Roll20 is pay to have the more interesting features, I found out that a simple Google presentation with permissions so that anyone with the link can modify it (so the players can move their counter) works just as well.
Last edited November 27, 2017 4:08 pm
Nov 27, 2017 4:10 pm
I've done it a little bit. In some games, we've used Roll20 purely for placement of minis and everyone was able to access the map and do things like see what they can see (I have a subscription since I also run a live game or 2 on Roll20 so I can use the dynamic lighting and such), measure distances, etc.

In some of my games, I tend to set up combats in Roll20 and then snip the maps for visualization in the PbP game. As DM, I find it helps me immensely. I recently picked up a freeware token creation software so I can create tokens for my players with their character avatars. As a player, I enjoy tactical maps as opposed to pure theater of the mind.
[ +- ] Example of a snipped map
Last edited November 27, 2017 4:11 pm

You do not have permission to post in this thread.