[Spoilers] Thor Ragnarok

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 2, 2017 11:42 pm
I got to watch Thor Ragnarok last weekend, after a bit of a delay (which is tough, given I work at Marvel). I was actually kind of mixed on it. It felt like two movies jammed together, with an opening that was just plastered on. That's not to say I didn't like it. But I enjoyed it more for the action than the movie itself.

So lets start with the start. Thor is in a random fight; ok, cool opening. He gets back to Asgard to find Odin acting completely un-Odin like, and knows it's Loki... ok? There's no subterfuge, no thing, just happens. So he goes looking for Odin, gets conveniently pointed pointed in the right direction by Benefiber Cucumberswatch, ok, then... Odin just dies? Felt completely emotionless, as was Thor losing his hammer, what he thought was his source of power.

Then we move to movie 1: Planet Hulk. On it's own, it was ok. Visuals were cool, characters felt either flat or overdone, and plot was forced. We know Hulk disappeared in Ultron... into a random portal? Ok... Hulk is now semi-articulate? I'm ok with that, but given he's just kind of reappeared to us, its weird. And Korg? Funny at first, annoying as it went on to me. But, things moved on, cool fights, Thor coming into his power, neato. It was all obviously just there to reintroduce Hulk and get some new characters on board, plus rebond Thor and Loki, loosely.

Movie 2: Reclaiming Asgard. This I liked. Hela came to feel a combination of evil and used. I felt a touch of sympathy for her, though not a ton, which I liked. Again, the whole "prepared army of undead" felt forced; why couldn't she resurrect the soldiers she killed? But again, cool fights, even if the end (Thor/Loki leading to the destruction of Asgard) was a bit obvious.

Before I saw it, someone described it to me as walking the line between just the right number of jokes and too many jokes. I felt like it crossed the line by a bit. Obviously they've been setting Thor up as a bit of a spoiled child, growing up, a comedic character of sorts when not in the fight. But this movie was at times slapstick. Like Banner jumping from the spaceship and faceplanting the Rainbow Bridge?

Overall, good, though not great. I'm not epileptic, but some of that movie felt seizure inducing. And of course, if Thor's power came from Asgard like Hela's... does he still have any powers? Is he still an Avenger? We'll see. What did you guys think?

Note: I haven't seen the Avengers trailer; I don't watch trailers for movies I'm interested in any more.
Dec 4, 2017 2:27 am
I don't disagree with a lot of your points, but I enjoyed the hell out of it anyways. I feel like their mistake was feeling that they absolutely could not make this movie without tying up the loose ends from Thor 2 (which I'm pretty sure no one really remembered well enough to care... I think I saw that movie like once).

I could have done without Scourge. I know he had them in the comics, but a dude with assault rifles in Asgard seems dumb to me.

Len

Dec 4, 2017 5:29 am
Also agreed with your points, Keleth. Definitely entertaining, but not one of the great movies of all time. Maybe top 5 or 6 for MCU movies.

1. Captain America 2
2. Avengers 1
3. Iron Man 1
4. Guardians of the Galaxy 1
5. X-Men: Days of Future Past (Probably not an MCU movie but whatevs)
6. Thor: Ragnarok

To answer your question:
Keleth says:
And of course, if Thor's power came from Asgard like Hela's... does he still have any powers? Is he still an Avenger? We'll see.
So here's how I think it works. At some point in the movie, they talked about how Asgard isn't a place, it's a people. Hella and Thor don't get their power from the world of Asgard, they get it from the Asgardian race. So, Thor should still have his powers as long as the Asgardian race is well. Not sure what is to become of Mjolnr, his hammer, but it should make a good up-beat in the story if, say, Dr. Strange or somebody should reveal that they have reforged it.

I also like that they killed off Odin. I didn't particularly like Anthony Hopkins in the role, and now that Thor has the crown (eye patch?) but his people have no homeland, it gives the character, who can be pretty 1-dimensional, a new direction. New ways to grow.

Not sure if he is still an Avenger or not, but the course of events in Civil War did not touch The Hulk or Thor. So, I think they will be a part of bringing the team back together as they have no animosity for either side. Bruce Banner especially, I think. It'll make for some good scenes to justify Mark Ruffalo's pay cheque and give him a role.

@WarDomo: I agree about Scourge. I'm not too well versed in his role in the comics, but it felt tacked on. The story didn't need another character.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.