Holiday Cookie Preferences?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Oct 29, 2019 2:23 am
One of our Halloween traditions is to make what we call down here in the swamp "whoopie pie cookies" (a cake-style "cookie" with frosting). They are crazy fun to decorate. Here are a few we did this year:

https://i.imgur.com/OYqJeko.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/XiXeaht.jpg

And this weekend my little sister (age 7) made some shortbread cookies and decorated them all by herself.

https://i.imgur.com/PeB5IRF.jpg

They were really tasty!
Oct 29, 2019 2:32 am
Snickerdoodles and butter cookies
Oct 29, 2019 7:04 am
These are adorable! And your little sister is great at decorating - these swirls are fancy! :D
We don't celebrate Halloween where I live, and there're not many holiday-themed cookies in general. But I love me apple charlotte cake for autumn days! ;D
Oct 29, 2019 7:09 am
I wish Halloween was more of a thing where I live. It is celebrated but not that much...
[ +- ] @Flying
Oct 29, 2019 4:46 pm
This is a lovely thread, and it's high time I started thinking about the holiday cookies I'm going to make this year. My go-tos are:

Chocolate and vanilla pinwheel sablés
GF chocolate crinkles with peppermint
Ginger snaps
Sugar cookies

But I got my hands on my great-grandma's butter cookie recipe, so I want to give that a shot this year.
Oct 29, 2019 6:23 pm
bowlofspinach says:
[ +- ] @Flying
...I'm not quite sure what you're implying here (do people celebrate succulents? they should), but it's actually kinda true. My birthday is just before Halloween. :P
Oct 29, 2019 7:44 pm
Pumpkin Chocolate chip!
Oct 29, 2019 7:44 pm
FlyingSucculent says:
bowlofspinach says:
[ +- ] @Flying
...I'm not quite sure what you're implying here (do people celebrate succulents? they should), but it's actually kinda true. My birthday is just before Halloween. :P
it's a russian reversal... but I guess in Russia, they reverse you
Last edited October 29, 2019 7:45 pm
Oct 29, 2019 7:52 pm
CESN says:
it's a russian reversal... but I guess in Russia, they reverse you
...I missed the reference, oops. XD (Huh, I always wondered where this came from.)

To not offtop completely, I love chewy almond biscuits! Not for holidays, just always. XD
Oct 29, 2019 7:58 pm
Ginger and moleasses cookies
Last edited October 29, 2019 10:00 pm
Oct 29, 2019 10:19 pm
Yeah, I used to bake snickerdoodles and take them to work at Christmas time and I'm an old man. That was about 12 years ago last time I did it. I love cookies way too much. I tend to buy a box of supersize jumbo chocolate chunk cookies at the grocery store at least once a month. No wonder I can't see to type here any more. They really mess with my diabetes.
Dec 9, 2019 3:25 pm
Molasses or chocolate chip. Usually winners. Sprinkle some sprinkles on 'em to make 'em festive.
Dec 14, 2019 2:22 pm
Jabes! Moofs! I need a sugar cookie recipe that I can trust. Not the hard type that gets flooded with icing. I need a sugar cookie that stands alone with no icing or anything. And please, no snickerdoodles. No cinnamon. I need to bake a sugar cookie that our family ends up loving more than my wife's chocolate chip cookies this Christmas. >:) Yes, yes perfect holiday spirit, I know.
Jan 8, 2020 4:49 am
Whoops, just seeing this now so probably too late for the holidays but hey, maybe this year! I am no sugar cookie expert, but this is the super easy recipe (found from the internet) I use with my kids. I eat unfrosted ones:

Ingredients:
2¼ cups all-purpose flour, plus more for dusting
¾ teaspoon kosher salt
¼ teaspoon baking soda
¼ teaspoon baking powder
¾ cup unsalted butter, softened
¾ cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
1½ teaspoons vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract

DIRECTIONS
1. Make the cookies: In a medium bowl, combine the flour, salt, baking soda and baking powder. Set aside.

2. In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream the butter and sugar on medium-high speed until pale and fluffy, 4 minutes. Add the egg and mix until combined. Stir in the vanilla and almond extracts.

3. Reduce the mixer speed to low and add the flour mixture until just combined. Wrap the dough tightly in plastic wrap, using the plastic to help shape the dough into a disk. Refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes, up to 2 days, or freeze for up to 1 month.

4. Preheat the oven to 350°. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

5. Lightly flour a kitchen surface, place the dough disk on top and lightly flour the dough. Using a rolling pin, gently pound the dough to a ½-inch thickness, then roll to a generous ⅛-inch thickness. Use a cookie cutter to punch out shapes and transfer them to the prepared baking sheet. Gather the scraps into a bowl and roll them out up to 2 times more, chilling if the dough becomes too sticky. Bake until the bottoms and edges of the cookies begin to turn golden brown, 7 to 10 minutes, then remove and transfer the cookies to a cooling rack. Wait until the cookies are completely cool to frost as desired.
Jan 8, 2020 3:20 pm
Thanks. We made gumbo for the relatives his holiday, so no cookie competition after all. I'm still getting ammo for next holiday cookie battle, though. I have to give my wife a run for her money. :D
Jan 21, 2020 3:14 am
Oh gosh, I'm sorry I missed this! I was away from GP over the holidays and just now got back. For what it's worth, here is my go-to sugar cookie recipe.

170g butter
150g sugar
250g all-purpose flour
1 pc egg
¼ tsp salt
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
¼ tsp cloves
Jan 21, 2020 4:15 pm
Thanks Jabes. I'll give it a shot along with Moofs recipe. :)
Jan 21, 2020 4:25 pm
I know you said no cinnamon though.
Jan 21, 2020 9:44 pm
I can always tweak depending on the taste. Just around where I live everyone thinks that sugar cookies equals snickerdoodle.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.