Curse of Strahd

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Dec 6, 2017 1:03 pm
I suppose this is the place to post this. At the risk of being perceived as a taker or as rude, I want to express my longing desire to play a Curse of Strahd game. I know that the ratio of players to DMs is very lopsided, and I understand that those with time to run a game are almost certainly already running a game. I just figured if I don't put it out there, then no one will know.

If it helps, I want to share why I'm hoping to play Curse of Strahd. A very long time ago Ravenloft became a campaign settings in 2nd edition. A new person I'd never met was reading a D&D book in my living room while waiting in between his college classes (his sister was my step mother and we lived a block off campus). He had just gotten out of the Marines and lost his normal group, so he was thinking of finding people that liked to play. I told him of my limited experience with it when I was younger but that I found it fun. He asked if I wanted to join him if we ran a game. I felt a little sorry for him, to tell the truth. He was fresh out of the Marines and the only person indulging him was his mother (very grandmotherly type to me). I agreed and the three of us started Death's Ascendant that weekend. We butchered the story and gameplay tremendously, but we laughed plenty and had fun. I was fully hooked by the setting, too.

At this point, I don't remember much about those days. It's been more than twenty years since then. I've played so many other settings and systems that it all feels like a blur in my mind. I've played the old Ravenloft I6 module by Tracy and Laura Hickman, and it's pretty great. It lacks the depth of the campaign setting, but that's to be expected. When I read that it was getting updated and expanded for 5E, I knew I would need to play one day. Now it's been so long since it released, and I still haven't found a way to play. I hope that we can get something going on this site.

Ah, nostalgia. Is anyone else more nostalgic around this time of year?
Dec 15, 2017 1:44 am
I have been playing the 5e Strahd IRL. I think it is my favorite game so far. I have a master DM that has run Ravenloft all the way through 4-5 times already so that helps.

I hope you get your game. Keep posting you may find someone to run it yet. In the meantime you have a game to play in?
Dec 15, 2017 2:50 am
Thanks aaronschmidt. I have a group of friends in my area with which I do often play RPGs and board games. I think I'm going to have to run CoS if I want it played. At least then I get to experience it, even if as the DM instead of player.

For your question, Cancerman was kind enough to DM a third group in the 5E bootcamp, which I have joined. Also, Robago has a one shot started up that I also managed to join. So far so good on the PbP experience here at Gamersplane. Thanks for asking. :)
Last edited December 15, 2017 2:50 am
Dec 15, 2017 3:30 am
Ha! Robago and Cancerman are in my d&d homebrew game :) They are great.
Dec 15, 2017 4:08 am
I agree...so far. The moment my character rolls a 1 at the wrong time...then they are not great any more at all.
Dec 16, 2017 1:21 pm
I would be willing to run this for you in the new year, if you'd be willing to do the work to gather a group of like-minded players.
Dec 16, 2017 6:20 pm
That's very generous of you, Marithyme. Thank you. Am I creating the game and setting you as GM? Or do you just mean find the people via the Games Tavern?
Dec 16, 2017 8:23 pm
The latter; I’ll get the game up but would rather you recruit players here, so you can talk about what you want from the game and find people that are interested, rather than the random assortment of players that apply to every 5e game that opens. Good?
Dec 16, 2017 8:45 pm
Sounds terrific. I really appreciate you for doing this. Hopefully, I'll see enough people interested.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.