Interest Check: A little bit of everything

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

What would you like to play?

You may select up to 5 options.

Culling of the Witch
    The Masterson Legacy
    A Certain Undefined Absence
    The Twilight
    Ignoble
    None of the Above
Dec 9, 2017 11:14 am
Hello everyone! Come the new year, I plan on starting up my first game here, and diving into the community. Below is a list of ideas that have been rolling around in my head for the last month or two. If any of them catch your eye, please let me know! If you like more than one, a list of your preferences would be super helpful, since I am only planning on running one game for now. If none of these seem interesting, please take a moment to vote anyway. Thank you very much for your time, now on to the good stuff!

Magical Burst - Culling of the Witch
Players: 4, up to 6 maximum with excessive interest

Magical Burst is freely available, I will be using a less restrictive variant of version 4.
Magical Burst v4

Magical Burst is a magical girl themed system based on Puella Magi Madoka Magica, a deconstruction of the magical girl anime genre. This game would start with a fair bit of slice of life, easing players and characters alike into a very grim existence. This is a very fluffy, rules-light system. It's quick to learn, and runs really smoothly. This game will be on loose rails, giving players enough room to investigate and explore, while still being guided towards specific goals. This game will involve mysteries, and some dark psychological themes.

MaidRPG - The Masterson Legacy
Players: 5-6, up to 8 maximum with excessive interest

Maid is available at DriveThruRPG for $6 USD. Remember to use the GamersPlane referral link if you decide to pick it up!

MaidRPG is a lighthearted and relaxed system, with the players taking on the role of maids or butlers in service to a most noble and affluent master. In this case, you would be serving the entire Masterson family. Players would have the choice of serving the family in general, or being specifically bound to the service of one member of the Masterson family. This is also a fairly rules-light system built to be picked up and played in minutes. This story would involve intrigue, mystery, and politics within and about the family. Players would be given broad goals to complete, with the freedom to approach them however they see fit.

System Pending (Probably Freeform) - A Certain Undefined Absence
Players: 4, up to 6 maximum with excessive interest

I ran this with Anima: Beyond Fantasy, though that system is way too number crunchy for my tastes, so if you have a suggestion, I would be happy to hear it. Otherwise, I'll be running this game without a system.

This is a campaign that I ran for my in-person tabletop group, and it went over surprisingly well. This game takes place in the world of Toaru Kagaku no Railgun (A Certain Scientific Railgun), a sci-fi anime that involves magic, psychic powers, and a whole lot of mad science experiments. This game involves a whole lot of mystery, so for those of you with your detective hats on, this is for you! It plays in a very sandboxy way to start off, with players free to explore at their leisure. As the game progresses, your freedom to move will not be inhibited, though time will become a factor. Players must discover objectives for themselves, and actively pursue them in order to succeed.

Shadowrun 5e - The Twilight
Players: 2-4, up to 6 maximum with excessive interest

Shadowrun Fifth Edition is on sale for $20 USD at time of posting at DriveThruRPG! Remember to use the GamersPlane referral link if you decide to pick it up!

Shadowrun is a dystopian near-future blend of cyberpunk and fantasy themes. Trolls, orcs, elves, magic, guns, and cyberspace all rolled up into a contemporary setting. For this game, I have taken inspiration from a wonderful little game called VA-11 HALL-A, and this adventure will be set in Glitch City. I will also be introducing the Lilim, a homebrewed robotic race. This game would be on loose rails, with plenty of freedom to explore and adventure, while maintaining an overarching plot.

Dungeons and Dragons 5e - Ignoble
Players: 2-6, up to 8 maximum with excessive interest, and exceptional applications

Dungeons and Dragons Fifth Edition is available at many locations, though I'm not sure that a simple pdf is officially available for purchase. Wizards sure likes their hardcover books.

One can assume that almost everyone is familiar with Dungeons and Dragons, the go to fantasy RPG that has gone through many iterations and remains a staple in roleplaying communities. It is a rules-medium system, a good mix of fluff and crunch. I was planning on running this for my in-person tabletop group anyway, so I have the world fleshed out and ready to go.

Drawing inspiration from Battle Brothers, Black Lagoon, and Suikoden 2 (I know that's a weird mix), I decided that I wanted to build a world that my players could just explore and likely gradually destroy as they roam to their heart's content. This will be a pure sandbox game, so be ready to create a character with some drive or purpose behind them.
Dec 9, 2017 1:35 pm
Regardless of how all the voting shakes out, I just wanted to take a minute to say thanks for deciding to run a game. This hobby can always use more GMs.
Dec 9, 2017 2:18 pm
Wish I had time for another game, Culling of the Witch sounds fun to me!
Dec 9, 2017 6:30 pm
Some alternative for Anima Beyond Fantasy: Returners Games' FFRPG 3rd edition, Final Fantasy D6 RPG, Console/Super Console/Console Legend, D12, A Final Fantasy, Elegia, Final Fantasy D20, Phantasy Star: Ragol's Curse, Legend Of Dragoon Storytelling System.
Dec 9, 2017 7:17 pm
Good on you for stepping up! Good luck with it!
Dec 9, 2017 7:35 pm
Thanks for the support, everyone!

Extra thanks for all of the suggestions Kalajel, I'll be sure to check these out!
Dec 9, 2017 7:44 pm
Wow, The Twilight, Ignoble, and Culling of the Witch all sound like they'd be extremely interesting campaigns to be a part of! I only voted for one, but I'd vote for all three if I could!
Dec 9, 2017 9:06 pm
Nice descriptions and nicely formatted Sha. I voted Ignoble!
Dec 9, 2017 10:53 pm
Im totally down for some more D&D 5e! Count me in!
Dec 9, 2017 11:36 pm
Shalaris says:
Extra thanks for all of the suggestions Kalajel, I'll be sure to check these out!
No problem, I'm sort of collecting game systems, so I always have a bunch lying around. Also, now that I think about it, BESM might also be a good alternative.
Dec 10, 2017 8:46 am
Catche_Jagger says:
Wow, The Twilight, Ignoble, and Culling of the Witch all sound like they'd be extremely interesting campaigns to be a part of! I only voted for one, but I'd vote for all three if I could!
Thank you very much! I tried to set the poll up for multiple votes, but it didn't seem to like that.
ChingoChaplo says:
Nice descriptions and nicely formatted Sha. I voted Ignoble!
Heya CC, many thanks! I figured you'd like that one, it almost didn't make it onto the list. xD
kalajel says:
No problem, I'm sort of collecting game systems, so I always have a bunch lying around. Also, now that I think about it, BESM might also be a good alternative.
Oh, wow! I haven't heard anyone mention BESM in like, years. I totally forgot about it. That's a great idea!
Dec 10, 2017 9:26 am
Though not my first choice (which was Culling of the Witches) I wouldn’t mind playing a certain undefined absence or ignoble.

Depending on what exactly your going for I could see aCUA working in any of the following systems; Cthulhutech, Stars Without Number, or the Sixth World (a PbtA Shdowrun hack).
Dec 11, 2017 3:59 am
I definitely voted for Ignoble. Sounds like a blast!
Dec 11, 2017 4:20 pm
They all sound interesting, I'm always a fan for running a game you enjoy that no one else is running the system for though. Also I enjoyed my last Maid RPG game although it fizzled due to activity.
Dec 11, 2017 9:42 pm
Thank you all very much for your enthusiasm!
Genisisect says:
Depending on what exactly your going for I could see aCUA working in any of the following systems; Cthulhutech, Stars Without Number, or the Sixth World (a PbtA Shdowrun hack).
I'll be sure to check them out, I won't be short of reading material over winter break. Thank you! xD
Remnant says:
They all sound interesting, I'm always a fan for running a game you enjoy that no one else is running the system for though. Also I enjoyed my last Maid RPG game although it fizzled due to activity.
I'm sorry to hear about that game falling apart. =[

Once I get settled in, I'll probably make an interest check just for the more niche games, and try to get one of them rolling. Maid will certainly be there when/if I get there. I love that system. xD
Dec 12, 2017 12:50 pm
New to the site and pbp gaming...but would love to get in on a d&d game

You do not have permission to post in this thread.