Interest Check: Numenera for new players

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jan 4, 2018 8:45 pm
This is pretty much what it says on the tin: I'm trying to gauge interest in a Numenera game open to new players.

For people not familiar with Numenera
Numenera is a game about life on Earth a billion (1,000,000,000) years in the future. Civilizations have risen and fallen and the characters live in what is known as the Ninth World. If the technology level of a civilization is measured by what they can reliably produce, then the world is pretty solidly in the Iron Age. However, nearly every aspect of life is affected in one way or another by materials, devices, and parts left over from the previous civilizations to inhabit Earth. These pieces of leftover technology are collectively called numenera.

The system is designed to be pretty light. In fact, the GM almost never rolls dice at all. Since this game would be open to players unfamiliar with Numenera or other Cypher System games, I would be more than happy to teach the rules.

The Adventure
Player characters will be exploring a structure that has been rumored to exist in the wilderness. The secrets held within those dark corridors could bring prosperity and bounty to the nearby settlements; or they could bring terror and destruction. What wonders might you discover in the depths?

So, let me know if you're interested in this. I've been wanting to play Numenera for more than a year. I hope somebody here is interested.
Jan 4, 2018 9:50 pm
I'm unfamiliar with the system, so a newbie game would be wonderful.
Jan 5, 2018 2:24 pm
Are you familiar at all with the setting? It's fine if you aren't, i just want to know where to start.
Jan 5, 2018 3:57 pm
I did some reading last night into the setting a bit and watched some videos to get a general idea. :)
Jan 6, 2018 8:06 am
I'm participating in this game which is also meant to cater to newbies like me (discussion here), but we're still finishing up character generation. If you're open to teaching newbies then I'd love another game to try out a different character type. :-)
Jan 6, 2018 12:45 pm
I'm interested...
Picked up the pdf a while back when it was on sale, but haven't yet taken time to read it. Would be brand- brand-new.
Jan 6, 2018 3:50 pm
That makes 3. I think that should be just fine. (Though, if anyone else wants to join that will also be okay) I'll work on putting the game together a little bit over the weekend and I'll try to get it ready to go here on Monday.

Here's a little bit to get you guys thinking about your character:

Characters in Numenera consist of 3 parts that together make a sentence. The parts are Descriptor,Type,and Focus. The character sentence takes the form of, "Name is a Descriptor Type who Focuses." For instance, "Adi is a strong glaive who controls beasts."

Your Type describes what your role is in the world. It's kind of like your class, but there can be many different approaches to that role. There are 5 Types:
Glaives are very physical. They run, jump, punch, climb, and tumble. They are usually the main fighters, but they can also be thieves, archers, or anything else that relies on physical ability.
Nanos are very technical. They interact with the numenera on a mental level and understand it better than anybody else. They are something like sorcerers and many common people believe that what they do is actually magic.
Seekers are explorers, treasure hunters, and cartographers. They seek what is beyond the horizon and are always looking for the next adventure.
Glints are storytellers, performers, con men, and politicians. They specialize in dealing with people above all other endeavors.
Jacks are the Jack-of-all-trades types. They do a little bit of everything from interfacing with the numenera to gathering information, to picking locks. They don't specialize unless you consider doing a little bit of everything a specialty.

The Descriptor describes how you approach your role. Descriptors are things like Charming, Graceful, Mystical, and Strong. if you don't have the book, just think about how you might want your character to approach the world and I can try to help you pick a Descriptor.

The Focus is the thing that makes your character unique. It is very rare to ever find someone with the same focus as you, and if you do it will probably be from a different cause. Most people in the world don't have a focus and most NPCs you encounter won't. If you don't have the book we can leave this part until later and discuss it.

Thanks for showing interest. I'll try to be available to answer questions.
Jan 6, 2018 4:46 pm
I don’t have the books, but I’d be willing to learn how the game works.
Jan 17, 2018 4:31 pm
I am also way interested. Not sure if you are full up or not. I have read the original core book, but have yet to play a game.

3 characters I have sketched out: A Graceful Glaive who Controls Gravity
A Rugged Nano who Controls Beasts
A Mechanical Jack who Explores Dark Places.
Last edited January 17, 2018 4:34 pm
Jan 23, 2018 1:21 am
I'm in the same game as Jabes and am peaked at the prospect of playing this game. Having a different view on it will be nice.
Jan 23, 2018 1:40 am
I would definitely be interested in playing in a Numenera game. Been looking for one for some time...
Jan 23, 2018 7:56 pm
PaladinRevenant,

Is the table getting too crowded? This sounds interesting and I'd love to give it a shot. I'm entirely unfamiliar with the Numenera system, and honestly this site is the first time I ever heard about it, but your summarized description spawned a ton of interest with me. Based on how you've described your project, I may be a perfect fit.

My "sentence" would be: Ji'ar is a Mystical Seeker that Evades Injury.

The concept is a mystical, earthy nature-centric fellow who wanders around the land looking for items of interest, his particular Focus is how he is agile, nimble, elusive, to where he can avoid injury and harm. He isn't the Flash or a speedster of any kind, he moves at regular speed, he can just Dodge like some Unearthly thing. Of course, if I'm overdoing things, feel free to reel me in; this is my first swing, after all.
Jan 25, 2018 3:56 pm
There appears to be interest!

@PaladinRevenant, we look to you for further guidance.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.