Cthulhu horror and Engle Matrix games

Jul 6, 2015 7:27 pm
I love a good Chulhu horror game and am looking forward to running some on this site. I use a simple set of rules that have been kicking around for the last 30 years or so. It's a story telling system that works a little differently from standard RPGs. I'm including here the ENTIRE text of the rules here, all 668 words.

I'd love to field any questions or comments about it.

Matrix Game Rules for electronic play

Engle Matrix games are an extremely simple story telling game. They’ve been around since 1988 and are free for anyone to use. All that we ask is that you say you are running an Engle Matrix game and include a copy of these rules with your game.

This is a story telling game in which players talk their way through a tale, making up what happens as they go. Nothing happens in the game except what the players say happens.

Here is how it works.

One player is the host of the game. Their job is to set up the scenario. They pick a cast of characters (6 is generally enough), describe some important locations (3 will do), and make up a short story about what is going on before the game starts. They then start things rolling by posing a question or problem that the players will answer through play.

All this is posted on a web forum or email for all to see. Players access the game by reading the posts. Action begins when the hosts asks the readers "What happens next?"

The players make things happen by posting an answer to the question.

A player picks a character or location and makes up a short answer. The action should tell what ALL the characters in the scene do not just what one character does. Remember, you are telling a story, not role playing a character. Try to keep answers brief (no more than 3 paragraphs, no more than 300 words).

There is no order of play. Any player may post a message and add to the story at any time. Each addition automatically happens, no dice roll needed. Other players jump in after that. The game is a free form conversation about what happens. When players solve the opening problem, the host ends the game.

Players may alter or totally re-write a previous action. This over writes the previous scene. So if you don't like something change it!

If don't like the last action added and want to stop it, you may roll for it. Roll 2d6. If the roll is 7 or greater, the action happens and cannot be re-written. If the roll is 6 or less the action does not happen and will not happen in the game. The rolling player posts the roll after the disliked event so everyone knows if it is confirmed or denied. Any player may make a roll but don’t make more than one roll per action. Also don't roll for every action. Only roll when you really don’t like something.

After you add to the game wait for someone else to add something before you make a second addition.

Players may make up new characters and locations as they go. They also say where characters move. Players may change the scene with each new addition to the game.

The host is a regular player but they have a couple of extra powers. They may veto any action that is socially unacceptable and they may give the players new problems based on what the characters do. The host should encourage new players and keep things moving by prompting the players to make the next move. The easiest way to do this is by repeating the question "What happens next?"

The game is played in one message thread. Players add to the story as fast as they like so games can be very fast. No one is in control which sounds chaotic but strangely works.

Outside comments and remarks are included in the game thread but try to keep them short and fun. Argue elsewhere. The host may need to enforce this.

The host may time limit games by saying that only 6 to 8 new characters or things may be added. After this players must solve the problem with what they've got.

And that's it. A few simple rules that allow you to play almost any story.

Chris Engle
Http://Hamsterpress.net
July 2015
Jul 7, 2015 3:24 am
Interesting premise for a game. The only thing I can really say about it is that I don't think I would ever have a reason to negate a scene/action by rolling dice. I am a "Yes, and..." kind of player. Unless someone took the story completely "off the rails" with something crazy I doubt I would use the "dice mechanic". Like if we were doing a 1930s noir story and someone had the Power Rangers show up, I'd object to that. If we were in the 90's and fell into a dreamscape and the Power Rangers appeared, I'd play on. If the other players constantly negated my contributions to the story, I'd probably be upset and stop playing after a while.

So again, its not bad, I'd try it if you started a game, but I've got my concerns.
Jul 7, 2015 2:14 pm
I've had games where there was literally no dice rolls. Still fun.

It is a little different, isn't it? Players go through a mental shift in the first couple of turns. Then they find it easy to play.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.