Suggestion : Hp bar for NPC during combat

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 12, 2015 3:33 pm
This would be very cool if GM would be balle to add npcs to the post with some kind of healthbar or injury indicator (easy CSS will do that i am sure) to keep track of states of the npcs during massive fights. They could also should have additional fields like : name, effects, npcs target.
Jul 12, 2015 4:24 pm
This is actually a planned feature, but how to get it to display without cluttering the field is the current issue. Plus, I want to redo the PNC selection of character gen to allow people to create "quick NPCs", which would just have basic stats and desc (maybe a bit more), so you can throw them into a fight quickly.

I'm glad there's interest in this, and I'll bare it in mind as I keep development going.
Jul 12, 2015 7:34 pm
I am learning web development now too, perhaps i will have some technical implementation ideas so i will be glad to share them.
As i see it in its perfect form there should be some kind of non-relational database (Mongo) linked where you could be able to store various systems preset NPCs . noSQL structure could actually benefit here, and probably there already existing databases on those things on the web.

Perhaps you could add sort of collabsable "portal" , which will be placeable and editable only by GM, And will contain NPCs in action for posts where GM will desire them. As JS works, you probably will be fine with closures, and each single, even unnamed npc will have their attributes updated dynamically.
Seems quite doable in Angular, just needs some decisions on how it should be modified and how it should look, and coding, ofcourse :)

Thanks again for this amazing site :) Best pbp site on the webs.
Last edited July 12, 2015 7:37 pm
Jul 12, 2015 9:11 pm
I currently use Mongo for the DB for the reasons you mention. For a lot of these features, coding them is ok; implementing them is hard!
Jul 14, 2015 5:22 am
The thread could have set of NPCs , tied to it through db (stored in thread's db document), and GM should be able to add them from list and modify their stats upon adding. Modifications should be stored in db document.

Also did you thought about web components? Polymer and such? Seems best way to encapsulate some box of npc data, and maintain it as npc presence web component tag/directive within post with similar interface as you do with dices, only that their states should be maintained with db. Inert shadow DOMs sound good for this thingy implementation. Shadow dom template gets it's json/db data as properties, and displays thingies accordingly, when called.
Last edited July 14, 2015 5:32 am
Jul 14, 2015 2:31 pm
I currently use Angular, which I know is compatible with Polymer, but best I learn/implement one tech at once. And how it would work is straight forward enough, by implementation, I meant interface :)
Jul 20, 2015 1:42 pm
Could there be a pop-up window (perhaps mouse-over functionality) for this? I think bar should be optional, but it would always be beneficial for the GM to keep track of HP on-site, as I am currently having to track it on my phone. There is no-where 'hidden' I can store that info on-site.

Speaking of tracking, it would also be immensely helpful to add initiative order to this 'combat interaction' screen, so you could line up your PCs, NPCs & foes with a few input boxes, and have a tick box to display in bold/colour who is the current player in the initiative order (with players able to indicate when they have taken their turn after they have posted, so the GM doesn't have to update it every time). This isn't the worst as I track in using my forum posts. It's just harder to move the 'bold' HTML code on a touch-screen.
Jul 22, 2015 1:18 pm
More than an NPC HP bar, I would love a character HP bar (which could be tied to the particular character you are posting as, and little icons under the character avatar would allow the GM and player to give that character's HP a + or - X)... THAT would be super convenient (for D&D anyway).

I currently use my iPad GM app to track player hp etc, and also count on them to track their own to cross check.... love to have it all right beside where it's needed.
Last edited July 22, 2015 1:19 pm
Jul 22, 2015 2:49 pm
Yah, as I mentioned in another thread, this is planned. All character sheets are currently at what I'd call a v1, resembling paper character sheets, and skipping over some minor details in lieu of adding notes. I intend on making the system WAY more flexible, including things like character and NPC HP bars (having quick NPC character sheets), itemized items, ammunition, etc. The issues come down to time and design. We already have the issue of the bottom footer bar, which was meant to hold all these tools, not working as well as hoped, and being missed by many people. I'm not sure where else to add a menu if people can't/don't see the bottom bar.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.