Learning to DM on GP

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 13, 2018 7:59 am
Hi All,
I have been looking for info on how you go about DMing on GP/PBP?
Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
Jace
Feb 13, 2018 8:08 am
Hi Jace! As it happens I am working on a DM-mentoring project that I will be posting about soon.

In the meantime, you might find these discussion threads useful:
Cruvis's Top 10 PbP Refereeing Tips.
Success and failures in PbP
Last edited February 13, 2018 8:10 am
Feb 15, 2018 8:25 pm
Hey ya! Thanks for the link Jabes. I’ll be posting weekly for the next while.
Feb 15, 2018 11:27 pm
Sweet, thanks :-)
Feb 16, 2018 12:58 am
Hey Jace.72. Great question-topic but maybe too broad. I think the main key to success is to post every day or two, even if you are waiting for a reaction/respinse, and encourage your players' participation. Build off their responses, and gently steer them if they veer from task.
Feb 16, 2018 1:57 am
Cheers.
I guess if i had to narrow it down, how do you use the DM sub forums effectively? Its that part i struggle with. I have set up a few but how do i tell which ones are the DM only ones?
Feb 16, 2018 2:19 am
If you create a subforum, you'll find a Permissions button. Then you can create permissions for each player. If you set the Read field to No, remembering to save between each, then only you the GM can see that subforum. Make sure you go through it after you're done a couple times because it is a bit fiddly.

For GM only forums, I set up XP logs, PC background notes, and other notes to myself. Sometimes NPC details, but I really use Google Docs for most game background material.
Feb 16, 2018 4:30 am
I usually have my DM screen as a staging area for posts that I plan to post later. I've been keeping my notes in OneNote.

As an alternative for the permissions, I think the most fool proof way is to create a set of permissions for the subforum itself rather than the individual players and set all Read permissions to No. I think this even works when you set the forum to public.
Feb 16, 2018 9:28 am
Sweet, i will try that after work tonight.
Feb 17, 2018 5:00 am
My advice is to try and make sure that every post you make drives the action in the story forward. It's too easy, for me at least, to fall into a reactionary routine, just answering the posts made by the players. If you make an effort for all your posts to be active, moving to accomplish some objective the players fight against, you'll have a game that moves at a nice clip.

As with all things, moderation is key. If they players stop to interact with something or someone, give them that time. But the instant you feel the game flagging, kick it into gear again.
Feb 17, 2018 7:07 am
Cheers, thats nice advice :-)
Feb 17, 2018 2:29 pm
Shark_Bone says:

As with all things, moderation is key. If they players stop to interact with something or someone, give them that time. But the instant you feel the game flagging, kick it into gear again.
Well said! This is key and it becomes intuitive.
Last edited February 17, 2018 2:30 pm
Feb 17, 2018 2:53 pm
WarDomo says:

As an alternative for the permissions, I think the most fool proof way is to create a set of permissions for the subforum itself rather than the individual players and set all Read permissions to No. I think this even works when you set the forum to public.
Okay, tried that. That is perfect, way easier, thanks WarDomo!
Feb 18, 2018 2:31 am
Don't thank me, thank my unstoppable laziness
Sep 30, 2018 6:27 pm
Even six months later, this post has helped. Thanks ya'll. :)
Sep 30, 2018 6:44 pm
::Thumbs up:: if theres also the Mentoring project on one of these somewhere, that could also help get some exp in the DM box :)
Oct 1, 2018 4:35 am
Here is a link to the GM Mentoring Project. Thanks for reviving this thread - otherwise I wouldn't have realized I never posted with the link. :-)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.