Superhero Game: Prometheus's Fire

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 16, 2015 5:31 pm
Hi gang. It is yard sale season here in my neighborhood and my wife made me do some de-cluttering. I found an old box of RPG materials and some notes I made for a Superhero game. It was going to be run using Mutants & Masterminds 2nd Ed. but upon reviewing that system and remembering it was based on 3rd Ed. d20 I decided to change things up and use Fate. Specifically the Venture City Stories rules that I'm told are pay-what-you-want through Drive Through RPG (I haven't looked myself but that seems right) I'm not asking players to download it, I can walk you through the process if you need me to.

The Fate system is much easier for me to run because I am not often at a computer where I can access character sheets and pdfs easily. My phone can do it obviously, but I find navigating d20 rules to be a chore on the smaller screen. Fate is much simpler for me to run "on the go" as it were.

The basic story is that six weeks ago an asteroid entered Earth's atmosphere and exploded, bathing the globe in a strange radiation. This caused many lifeforms to mutate, but human's were the most affected. Every single human now has some form of mutation and they are very random. Most people got small insignificant changes, but some became truly superhuman.

The PCs are individuals who have gotten the more significant abilities, being classified as Alpha or Beta Level Metahumans. They have also been recruited by the authorities to become Fuller City's first Metahuman Response Task Force. Mostly you will be civilians with very little police training responding to calls that are beyond the abilities of the "normal cops" to deal with. Powers are typically on the scale of the X-Men or lower tier Avengers, as opposed to the Justice League who could threaten the world individually.

So if you've ever wanted to play a superhero come check out the game.
Jul 18, 2015 2:32 am
I would be down but ?I have never used Fate . . . I'll dl the book and see if I can figure it out.
Jul 18, 2015 6:02 am
Its very simple and I have no issues walking you through it.
Jul 18, 2015 12:44 pm
Yeah I would need the walkthrough. It just seems like there are so many options. Any assigned reading before I go in? I ended up getting Fate Core and Accelerated pdfs and the Venture City Stories.
Jul 18, 2015 2:48 pm
In my opinion the 'core' of the game is The Four Actions and The Four Outcomes. These can be found on starting on page 134 and goes through 143 in the pdf I have, which should be the same one you have, I don't think they've updated or changed anything. You don't have to understand it 100% but in my opinion that is the important part.

The rest of the game is adding numbers (which you know how to do) and the application of the interpretation of the results, which is sort of my job as GM, but players are encouraged to help.

Page 8 has a little more on taking actions, and as you read it will explain how the results work. I'll warn you though I don't really use "The Ladder" which is a series of specific words used to describe the results, I just don't care enough to memorize a list of words and numbers together. I use the basic idea of it, when you get an 4 it is an awesome thing, but I don't call it a Great...I just describe how it is great. This section goes to page 11

Page 12-14 explain how Fate Points are used in general. Again, you don't have to have to understand those pages 100%, but if you've read them once it will help.

And that's my opinion on what you should read first. Obviously the whole of the Fate Core is great and worth it, but those 16 page are the most important. The Venture City Stories is also good overall, we aren't using the setting though so reading it cover to cover isn't important. Just check out the Character creation thread for the game, it should tell you what you need to know, or at least get you to the point you are ready to ask questions.
Jul 18, 2015 3:28 pm
Excellent. That helps. I'll get on the forums after I get that read.
Jul 18, 2015 4:00 pm
I'm shy about joining because I'm still kinda struggling with the system in Formerly Familiar haha!
Jul 18, 2015 4:29 pm
Don't be. You're doing fine in that game. This one uses skills instead of approaches but the rest is the same. And I'm always happy to answer questions.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.