Calcium Khan of Skeleton Fortress!

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Feb 21, 2018 11:29 am
Hello all!
I'm a long time lover of RPGs who can't find the time or players to sit down and play once a week due to a mess of a schedule. As a result, I'm looking to give PbP a try. I look forward to trying it out with you guys.

I've played a fair amount of World of Darkness (mostly Masquerade, a bit of Requiem), D&D and Pathfinder and a very small amount of Edge of the Empire.

Tell me all, what's your favourite RPG (or RPGs) and why?
Feb 21, 2018 2:29 pm
Welcome CalciumKhan! Glad to have you with us! I don't currently have a favorite game, as I don't currently get to game much. Of the ones you listed, which is your favorite? Or one you haven't gotten to try but want to?
Feb 21, 2018 2:34 pm
Welcome CalciumKhan! I personally like the FFG Star Wars games best but mostly play D&D 5e due to availability. I hope you enjoy your time here on Gamersplane!
Feb 21, 2018 5:14 pm
Welcome! I'm a huge fan of D&D, Pathfinder, Starfinder, Cypher System/Numenera, etc.

I love trying out new systems when I have the time and am building up quite the collection in PDF form :)
Feb 21, 2018 6:18 pm
Welcome CalciumKhan. I, too, am a big lover of World of Darkness. I'm running a Victorian Age Vampire game here (using Vampire: Revised rules), and ran a beta test of 5th edition here, as well. I'm running a Vampire: Revised game IRL, following a Changeling: The Lost campaign that wrapped up recently.

Why do I love it? I love that it removed the inane level system of most RPGs from the character sheet, and that the game is fully playable with a wide power level of characters. Mostly though, it just exudes character-play rather than function-play.
Feb 21, 2018 7:22 pm
Thank you all for the warm welcome.

@Keleth, I wouldn't say I have a consistent favourite of the ones mentioned. I've probably had the most fun and spent the most time playing World of Darkness, but I've got D&D on the brain lately.

@Naatkinson How is Numenera? I was interested in it in its pre-release phase but I never got a chance to play it.

@Qralloq I love World of Darkness for the same reason, though I find I can get the same level of character play from D&D with the right group of players. I try to bring that kind of play to every system I play, but it's really fighting against the tide with some systems. I *love* Changeling: the Lost. I only got to play a little bit of it, but the little I played was some of the most fun I've had in an RPG
Feb 21, 2018 7:50 pm
Welcome to the community, CalciumKhan!
Feb 21, 2018 8:43 pm
Numenera is really cool and a blast to play. Lots of character customization, a focus on narrative combat, and the fact that the world has some really cool flavor to it makes it one of my top systems of choice!
Feb 21, 2018 9:23 pm
Naatkinson says:
Numenera is really cool and a blast to play. Lots of character customization, a focus on narrative combat, and the fact that the world has some really cool flavor to it makes it one of my top systems of choice!
Sounds awesome. I'm a sucker for narrative combat - nothing makes me tune out faster than pure dice roll combat. Worldbuilding also happens to be one of my favourite parts of the hobby, so anything with an interesting setting is always a treat for me, even if I just end up stripping it for parts.
Feb 22, 2018 12:02 am
Welcome!

Star Wars FFG is my favorite, because the dice encourage narrative. And...Star Wars.
Feb 22, 2018 1:14 am
Welcome! I am into Shadowrun and D&D myself. I like Shadowrun because it is such a crazy world. My best Shadowrun sessions have been small character moments that allowed the characters to grow and develop.

I enjoy D&D because so many people playing it makes for more opportunities to get a game. It is also interesting to see how people can take the same D&D archetypes and make extremely creative characters from them.
Feb 22, 2018 1:53 am
Hello and welcome.

My favorite RPG hmm?

I like a lot of RPGs for a variety of different reasons, but I don't think I have an overall favorite.

I like GURPS simply for the sheer amount of things you can do with the system. I like Dungeonslayers because it is a simple yet elegant rules-lite old school RPG which is perfect for getting new players into the hobby as I feel it has just the right amount of complexity. I like Legend of the Five Rings because of the setting. I like Urban Shadows because it is a nice alternative to WoD, but without all the convoluted mess. I like Shotguns n' Saddles because I'm a huge spaghetti western fan.

Overall, I tend to prefer simple over complex, but I'm willing to give pretty much anything a try (heck, I've played my share of 3.x/Pathfinder). It's just that with simple systems, it seems the gameplay goes faster, probably because you're not stuck checking the rulebook every 15 minutes because you forgot how yet another rule works...
Feb 22, 2018 11:57 am
I haven't interacted much with Shadowrun outside of Shadowrun Returns, which I really enjoyed. I do enjoy a good conspiracy story, so I think I could get into Shadowrun under the right circumstances.

I own a couple of GURPS books but I haven't had a chance to play it. I find universal systems to be a little daunting, if only because there's so many possibilities I don't even know where to start. I do tend to prefer simpler systems to complex ones. Helps flow and often gives you a bit more flexibility to flavour things to the character you're playing.
Feb 23, 2018 3:45 am
Hello and welcome! There are quite a few people here that share your gaming situation.

As for games, I really like 13th Age, Pathfinder, and World of Darkness. I'm trying 5th Ed D&D right now, as well as Mutants and Masterminds (which I'm enjoying quite a bit.)
Feb 23, 2018 7:04 pm
CalciumKhan says:
I own a couple of GURPS books but I haven't had a chance to play it. I find universal systems to be a little daunting, if only because there's so many possibilities I don't even know where to start.
That is one of my biggest draw to the system. Do you want to play some western? Do you own any western-themed game? No? Use GURPS. Do you have a good idea for a cyberpunk setting which no other games is doing? Well, build it using GURPS. Do you feel like some Med-Fan but are a bit tired of constantly using the same 4 or 5 Med-Fan games that you own? How about giving GURPS a shot? It's really about making your own opportunities to use the system.
Feb 27, 2018 10:31 am
Welcome! I'm mostly a World of Darkness player but have played some D&D as well. WoD was my groups usual choice in high school, mostly Vampire and Werewolf. I've played in four different WoD games since coming to GP including the two games Qralloq mentioned.

But my heart belongs to Exalted, which is a fork of the World of Darkness rules in an anime inspired high fantasy setting. The 3rd Ed game I am runnings currently on hiatus as IRL has hit several of my players. Hoping to spin that back up soon.

I'm also fascinated to try anything different. I'm running a game of Red Markets which was a Kickstarter I backed last year and currently playing in a Starfinder game and a game of The Strange and enjoying them both.

I joined GP for very similar reasons and have been so happy to find a way to game regardless of schedule. Its a great community.
Last edited February 27, 2018 10:32 am

You do not have permission to post in this thread.