Savage Worlds what's it do?

Mar 14, 2018 1:11 pm
Have you read the corebook? Test Drive rules? Got a setting book and/or a plot point book? Wondering what those last two were? Wondering how much prep you're looking at? Curious how 'this one mechanic works' or wonder what the face with no beast mode combat does in combat? Curious what the combat monkey does when you're not in combat? Ask.
Mar 16, 2018 2:58 am
The best way for me to start this out then might be to answer some of the above questions:

-I own the Deluxe Explorer's Rules, and have read through it. (I built a character for a one-shot game you'd set up, but it didn't get off the ground because there was enough sustained interest.) I'm not totally new to the system, but I've never been able to give it a run before.

-My primary motivations for picking up Savage Worlds are: A). I don't have much experience with generic systems, but I've heard a lot of great things about Savage Worlds, and B). Savage Rifts. This is primary "setting book" (if you can call the Rifts re-skin that) I bought it, and want really to play it. I read through the Player's Handbook, and have an idea of what to expect, but since I don't know Savage Worlds very well, I need to learn my way around the rules.

-I'd like to know how combat works (especially important for Rifts considering the tiered damage system), but I'm also intrigued by non-combat aspects of Savage Worlds. For example, if I'm running a game and I want an NPC to lie to the players, how would that work? Or environmental hazards, such as traps, diseases, or difficult terrain?

This is the stuff that first comes to mind when considering the system.
Mar 16, 2018 1:24 pm
Learning Savage Worlds stock I think is a good idea then you can learn how Savage Rifts dials that up in truth.

I'll open a thread on this since it's likely something people will be curious about since it's a little different than what people expect from other systems probably. There's also non combat/non fighty stuff to do in combat.

Information and misinformation on pbp I think is easier than face to face, there's no tell or vibe unless you describe it that way.

For the NPC I think it depends on how you describe things, say a kid comes running up and asks for help since so guy is coming to beat him. The guy comes up and states the kid stole from him. This is conflict and how the PCs react is kind of up in the air so you need to wait at times before you plan things out, they might defend the kid, pay for the item stole, chew the kid out and beat him making the guy asking the PCs to stop. For non combat there's also dramatic tasks. Traps can be fickles but they're a great obstacle for combat heavy groups that just like to kill stuff in truth. Diseases could be short term penalties or a plot hook to get the players someplace to get the disease cured, terrain is a wonky one since on Pbp I'm a bit more lenient with movement/pace.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.