This looks like a good place to start ...

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Mar 19, 2018 1:54 am
Hello Everyone!

This seems like an exciting way to play RPGs! It seems really clear and simple and well designed, I'm looking forward to giving it a try!

I grew-up playing Tabletop, starting with HeroQuest, then AD&D and eventually 3.5e, but after high school found it difficult to find a group and the time to play.

A few years ago I was looking to get back into RPGs and came across PbP. I gave it a brief try on another site, but couldn't really get a game going consistently so gradually lost interest.

Last year I actually got a good Tabletop game going with my wife and some co-workers using Fate and "The Secrets of Cats" setting (all my co-workers are cat lovers). None of them had played a TableTop RPG before, so I was a little unsure about how it was going to go, but it was amazing. We only got together every other month but we played through an entire adventure over the course of the year and we all had a blast during each session!

It has really stoked my interest to play more but given our various schedules I don't think we'll be able to do it more often. I remembered PbP and thought I'd give it another try. I came across Gamers Plane and I think it looks awesome, so I'm really hoping to find a game or two to enjoy!

My interests are quite broad. I've always been partial to medieval fantasy (growing up reading LotR, Dragonlance and Wheel of Time, and later GoT, Mistborn, Kingkiller, First Law ...) and Sci-fi (growing up watching Star Wars, Star Trek, Battlestar Galactic and reading Asimov). After listen to a couple actual play podcasts, I'd be interested to try Shadowrun or cyberpunk-like settings. I played a oneshots of "Modern" James Bond / Mission Impossible like adventure and it was fun and would also be into a more realistic LeCarre-type spy thriller too. I'm not the biggest fan of horror or superhero genre, but I'm open to trying new things. Steampunk is something I've never tried but I think I would like.

When playing Tabletop, I've almost always been the GM, but the few times I've been a PC I've really enjoyed it, so I think that might be a fun way to start, especially since I need to learn how PbP works.

Anyways, looking forward to meeting the community and learning to play in this medium!

Cheers,

Chal
Mar 19, 2018 2:07 am
Welcome Chalrytharendir. I had picked up The Secrets of Cats and Fate a few years ago to play with my wife and daughter, but we never got around to it, opting for Tiny Horsies and Ponyfinder instead.
Last edited March 19, 2018 2:08 am
Mar 19, 2018 2:21 am
@Qralloq
Awesome, I hadn't heard of those games before. I don't have kids yet, but when I do, playing games with them is something I'm really looking forward to. I'll keep these in mind!
Mar 19, 2018 2:23 am
Yes welcome! I hope you will find the kind of games that will ignite a passion for PbP in you. It's a great deal of fun if you combine with the right game and group.

All the best!
Mar 19, 2018 2:30 am
Howdy! I like your likes. HeroQuest was a beginner game for me too. What podcasts were you listening to that got you interested in Shadowrun?
Mar 19, 2018 2:35 am
Welcome! Check out the gamers tavern for games.
Mar 19, 2018 2:42 am
Welcome Chalrytharendir! Be careful getting into PbP. It's slower than live gaming, and thus a lot of games have a chance of just fading out. Don't let that throw you off, because the games that hold can be really amazing!
Mar 19, 2018 2:51 am
@Falible
NeoScum on the OneShot podcast network. It's a group of gamers who are also improve/comedians, so it's a little on the silly/funny side, but the game gets serious too, its a good mix for me. I also listen to Harmontown, which had a shadowrun segment for awhile. That's actually where I first heard about it, although it was like 5-10 mins of a 2 hr podcast and the story really didn't go anywhere and fizzled after awhile, so not sure I'd recommend it if shadowrun is what you're looking for.
Mar 19, 2018 2:52 am
Thanks Everyone! It's awesome to get such a good welcome!
Mar 19, 2018 3:28 am
Welcome to the community, Chalrytharendir! Happy gaming! :-)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.