OoC Forgot even here we'd need one

Mar 21, 2018 2:22 am
Cool. Will check this out
Apr 3, 2018 4:12 pm
So now that we've been rolling some dice, in your experience, what is something I should know about running a SW game? So far Sal has chatted with another NPC, looked around 2 different places (park and house), made use of equipment (phone/camera), and looked around. Is there anything unique to SW that I should know about in order to better manage my own games?
Apr 4, 2018 12:22 pm
Players are unpredictable so sometimes they throw you for a loop. Resolving fights through talking, getting really lucky on lockpicking using a makeshift pick at all the penalty through acing die, shooting someone through a wall with a general sense of where they are, getting shot in the head and making the healing roll yourself to get yourself situated.

For Savage Rifts since that's the setting you'd like to run it will be balance most likely, it's a lot harder to challenge a dragon or glitter boy versus a normal person so scaling will be interesting for that.

The best advise would be to read through the rules so you know how to deal with everything since there's several ways to go about doing things.

Also we have a new person.
Apr 5, 2018 3:17 am
Cool for the new player. Happy to have another person on board.

One of the problems I've always struggled with in systems that are lighter on rules is balancing context versus consistency in rulings. Something like 13th Age is good because you could always argue that a specific background grants a particular advantage in a certain situation. It keeps the games flowing smoothly and circumvents disputes, but I've been wondering if this kind of issue ever comes up in Savage Worlds.

You mention balance for Savage Rifts, which is a good thing to consider. Along with that, one of the things i've been wondering about is how to handle environment. Since there are different tiers of damage, its not unreasonable to think that someone could turn a building to rubble in the course of a normal fight. Or blowing a massive crater in the ground. In the Savage Worlds Rule book there's a section on situational rules, but there doesn't seem to be too much dealing with terrain. (I did look through a forum where blowing up terrain in combat with a Glitterboy is a legit tactic to flush out an enemey, so I guess there's that to consider.) Suggestions?
Apr 5, 2018 11:30 am
Phil_Ozzy_Fer says:
Cool for the new player. Happy to have another person on board.

One of the problems I've always struggled with in systems that are lighter on rules is balancing context versus consistency in rulings. Something like 13th Age is good because you could always argue that a specific background grants a particular advantage in a certain situation. It keeps the games flowing smoothly and circumvents disputes, but I've been wondering if this kind of issue ever comes up in Savage Worlds.

You mention balance for Savage Rifts, which is a good thing to consider. Along with that, one of the things i've been wondering about is how to handle environment. Since there are different tiers of damage, its not unreasonable to think that someone could turn a building to rubble in the course of a normal fight. Or blowing a massive crater in the ground. In the Savage Worlds Rule book there's a section on situational rules, but there doesn't seem to be too much dealing with terrain. (I did look through a forum where blowing up terrain in combat with a Glitterboy is a legit tactic to flush out an enemey, so I guess there's that to consider.) Suggestions?
Background usage is kind of hit or miss to me. My GM is fiction first but stretching things is stretching things. Pirate background to fix a watermill doesn't work for the player who tried to use it. So if you have a skill you can use it, not having a skill doesn't mean you can't try and depending on hindrances I kind of encourage it at times, Overconfidence being played up would be not admitting you have no idea what you're doing and faking it knowing full well the dice might not be in your favor. But due to exploding dice you could get lucky. In Deadlands Reloaded playing the Martial Artist with a Doctor and medicine woman in the group I oddly did the most healing untrained and made rolls. This happened enough GM rules my 15 years as a kid growing up in the wild made my spit have natual healing abilities (I usually would spit on wounds and tell people 'You okay now, you no worry') and he gave me a +1 to healing. Still untrained but at 1d4-1 specifically for healing.

Savage Worlds I think is pretty basic for rulings if people read through the rolls. But I'm a fan of cause and effect and if the party wants to try and talk through a conflict versus fight I'll see what they do and let them roll. If they're a bunch of combat monkeys and 'words bad, don't talk gud' seems to be a thing so they punch and shoot their way through even social conflicts I see how it pans out. To me I'll let anyone try and idea, check the door to see if it can be lockpicked and they use a rewards card, attempt a bluff, etc. Since skills link to traits if there isn't a skill or trick, special move to apply let them try off their attribute die plus the wild die. Another example would be in a Deadlands Reloaded game in tunnels we found mining tools and we were getting lost in an abandoned mine trying to find the 'mcguffin'. We knew we were close on the other side of a wall so we opted to just take turns making a hole in the stone wall. There's no mining skill so Vigor or Strength rolls for a dramatic task, Strength rolls if you were trying to do it fast and heavy, vigor for slow but probably not as hard hitting.

As for Environmental tactics, there's movement through the area at difficulty, if the Glitter Boy is providing support and there's a river close to the force of 200 soldiers coming towards a town the party is protecting maybe he checks on the topography and aims a shot to create a muddy area, they still advance but it's slower now and they know there's a BFG that they're now in range of. If for Savage Rifts you have a group that's just going to all smoking crater fights that's okay, not everything is Savage Worlds is something you can fight though which boggles people's minds at times if they make a combat monkey. Also for Glitterboys remind them about counting bullets. They take a while to make.
Apr 5, 2018 7:12 pm
Thanks for the insight! Resource management (how many bullets everyone has) should actually help contain the game as well.
Jul 12, 2018 6:51 pm
I'm out of state starting today until tuesday so my schedule for posting will be less than normal if at all.
Jul 21, 2018 2:25 am
I'll be out of town until Monday evening.
Jul 27, 2018 1:30 pm
@Remnant, will you be away for GenCon? I'm assuming a slow down on this game.
Jul 27, 2018 2:19 pm
Yep I leave Wednesday so I'll try and post in all my games Tuesday letting people know. I'll only be able to post from the lounge or if I don't immediately passout when I get back to my room.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.