Hello!

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jul 28, 2015 10:23 pm
Hi gamers!

Everyone can call me "Spec," or Greg. I've been lurking on GP for quite awhile, but haven't really engaged in the community. Sorry about that, I'm a social creature, honest!

I'm an experienced tabletop game player and even am designing my own titles with some friends that are currently being shopped around. Sorry, no RPG's in our creative oven currently, but that might change.

I've played several tabletop RPG's over the years; most of them have been various flavors of DnD. I've played: 3, 3.5, 4 and am very interested in giving 5e a shot. I have also played the Warcraft RPG - which is basically a modified 3.5 DnD. I'm also really interested in playing Dresden Files, Firefly, Leverage and even the Marvel Heroic RPG (so, Cortex I guess).

It's been 2+ years since my last tabletop RPG session. Gasp! THAT LONG!? No wonder I'm craving a game. I have never done Play-by-post before, so this is all a bit intimidating.

So anyway, glad to finally be hitting this post button and I'm greedily and happily awaiting finding a game to dive into.

This seems like the perfect opportunity to get my RPG on, while staying convenient and streamlined. Thanks for the site!
Last edited July 28, 2015 10:27 pm
Jul 28, 2015 10:32 pm
Welcome Greg! 5e is definitely popular right now, and I know there are games open you can join in! As for game dev, you'll see we have a number of game devs here, and there have already been a few convos on world and game building. I'm sure we'll see more as great people like you get into the convos!
Jul 29, 2015 12:07 am
Hi and welcome!
Jul 29, 2015 12:50 am
Hello, Greg and welcome! I know there's interest in a possible Dresden Files and Firefly game in the Games Tavern, and there seems to be at least one D&D 5e game opening each week, so it shouldn't take long for you to start gaming again. I've certainly found the GamersPlane a good place to get a regular fix of gaming, whilst being able to manage how much time I invest.
Jul 29, 2015 1:28 am
harlandski says:
I've certainly found the GamersPlane a good place to get a regular fix of gaming, whilst being able to manage how much time I invest.
Great! That's exactly what I'm looking to do. Thanks for the tips. I'm really rusty on the Cortex stuff, and have never done the Dresden files, but am very interested in the system. I wouldn't mind "auditing" some games just to see how it works.

I guess I'll mosey on over to the public games to see what's out there.
Jul 29, 2015 4:29 am
Hello there Spec! welcome to the active side, no longer lurking in the shadows. Your stealth check will be reduced by about 90% now. :)
Jul 29, 2015 2:05 pm
Real quick question.

Is it better for me to generate a character first, before applying to a game, or should I wait until a game is posted to generate a character? I'm not sure what the etiquette is in this community.

Apologies if this has been answered somewhere else already.

Thanks!
Jul 29, 2015 2:09 pm
There's no particular etiquette in place for that. Look at a game, see if they give chargen info. If they do, feel free to generate a character, if not, then just apply. Given you have to apply to a game before you can submit a character, it can go either way.
Jul 29, 2015 2:11 pm
There's no hard and fast rule about this, but I personally wait until I have a place on the game first, just so as not to waste time. I usually write about my interest in the game on the Gamers Tavern thread if there is one, or PM the GM if not as that seems to speed up acceptance :-)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.