Interest Check: "Competitive" Roleplaying

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 10, 2014 1:57 pm
So happy to have the site back, I was just getting ready to throw this idea down and the site exploded! Great job getting it back up quickly (I'm sure it felt like an age, but all things considered that was a fast return to uptime).

What's competitive roleplaying? If you've ever done an Arena session of a Pen-and-Paper RPG where everyone makes characters and you face off in a massive battle royale to see who made the best fighter, that's basically what this is.

The idea is to use a narrative driven system (such as Wushu, but modified a bit to accommodate the format and the particular needs of the game) so that the RP is richer (because that system rewards you for making a richer, more detailed post). Competitors would make characters with the system and then face off in a one on one RP using the system to adjudicate results.

Each match would involve 2 players competing and a judge. After every pair of posts (each player posts once) the Judge will award style points for that exchange and post an update of the score and life totals based on the dice rolls. Once a player is defeated the match ends and the Judge will grant bonus points to the player who still has life left (if any) and then announce the winner (most points, which is a combination of style points plus the bonus for surviving). The winner gets one last Finisher post and the match ends.

I've found this can be a really fun way to get some rapid pace RPing in, practice your RP / description skills and have a little fun. If you're interested post here, and if there's enough interest I'll write up a document describing the mechanics and how to play and set up a game that will be open to join :)
Oct 10, 2014 7:03 pm
That sounds pretty awesome!
Oct 21, 2014 4:42 pm
Keleth, can you move this to the Tavern (I would've posted it there had I known it existed!)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.