Rebranding Gamers' Plane?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

load previous
Aug 3, 2015 2:06 pm
You could even use the word "story" it seems to go good with a lot of titles and it captures, in a sense, Roleplaying in general. Problem with this is that it may be too generic for a title. However, The "StoryNexus" sounds really cool...
Aug 3, 2015 2:14 pm
You're right in that Facebook isn't very clever... on the surface. Its unique, and actually, the concept of a facebook has existed for quite a while. Its not a widely known idea though, and that's kind of what made the name work. Its straight forward, but for most people, original. Microsoft is also very simple, but its biggest strength is it was in a market without much competition. Standard Oil NEEDS to be obvious for success.

It's best to compare the name Gamers' Plane against other RPG (or tabletop) gaming sites or companies. Think about our favorite developers. The least creative I can think of is Monte Cook Games, and its success is based on the name Monte Cook (being an amazing designer). Otherwise we have things like Catalyst, Wizards, Pinnacle, Evil Hat. In sites, we have a bunch of names specific to certain systems/genres... not too much out there that's broad. One example who's name I love is Obsidian Portal (my direct competition). Obsidian Portal gives this impression of entry to any place, its a very strong, memorable name. Gamers' Plane is much softer. It's easy to become comfortable with it, but it doesn't have a strong first impression.

I really wish RPGNexus.com was free, or has a listed contact. I'd buy it from them.

Let me be clear. I don't hate Gamers' Plane or anything of the sort. I just know, from experience, its an average name. If I keep it, it's success will be based entirely on what you guys make this site to be. People will come here for the great community that already exists, and its one of the reasons I'm considering rebranding now. Other people might shy away, at the work of having to rebuild the name, but with fantastic users like you, my work will be severely reduced. I've got a visual rebrand of Gamers' Plane coming up, and so I figured now's a good time to look over the name as well, given we're still small enough to consider it without severe repercussion.
Aug 3, 2015 2:40 pm
How about "realm"? It evokes a large and rich expense to explore with many things to do in it...
Aug 3, 2015 2:55 pm
Realm is good, but it would need a very good, strong word with it. It's also very soft sounding, but secure.
Aug 3, 2015 3:07 pm
Legend seems to be an equally strong word, but the two don't seem to mix well... "Legend Realm"; "Realm of Legends"; "Legends and Realms"...
Aug 3, 2015 3:30 pm
Legend is a great word! Very solid sound, hard enunciation. I always worried it may be too fantasy-related, but maybe there's a good way to make it world!
Aug 3, 2015 3:53 pm
Modifier is also a good, general RPG word. The problem is it doesn't do well in a 2 word name, heh.
Aug 3, 2015 6:46 pm
My two cents. I like the name Gamers Plane but something that actually lets people know what the site is could also be helpful. I know I searched around a lot before being informed of this one. That being said if you do decide to change the name I like Modifier a bit more than Nexus mainly because it seems for fitting for an PbP site since almost all RPGs have some type of modifier associated with them.
Aug 3, 2015 7:31 pm
RollInitiative.com. :D
Aug 3, 2015 7:49 pm
I would love to find something that works with the new logo I got... but... rolltopost.com?
Aug 3, 2015 8:20 pm
That sounds really good.
Aug 4, 2015 4:12 pm
As promised, here is a massive list of name ideas. (My favorites are bold.)

Post Nexus
Game Nexus
Play Nexus
RP Nexus
Story Realm
Dice Realm
Game Universe
RP Universe
PbP Universe
RP HQ
Game HQ
Gameplay HQ (GPHQ)
Worldwide Gaming
Worldwide RP
Worldwide PbP
Global Gaming
Global RP
Global PbP
Awesome-by-Post
Fun-by-Post
Fun-by-Post Games
Fun-by-Post Community
Dice-by-Post
Community-by-Post
Games-by-Post
RPG-by-Post
Role-by-Post
United Play
United Gaming
United PbP
eRP
eRPG
eGame Nexus
eTabletop
eTable Games
ePlay Games
eDice Games
eDice RP
eDice Nexus
RP eGames (RPeG)
RP Nation
PbP Nation
eGame Nation
Tabletop World
Story-Game Alliance
Story x Game (SXG)
Tableverse
Tableverse Games
Role Online
Role ’n’ Roll
DiceRole
Roll dX

I know that you want to leave your name open to expand to other areas, but I think you should focus on play-by-post first. Then, when you expand your services, you can brand them as has already been suggested.

"Wikiverse – A [Gamers’ Plane] wiki tool"
"Sinister Sounds – [Gamers’ Plane] audio resources"
"Gamers Playing – A [Gamers’ Plane] actual-play podcast"
Aug 4, 2015 4:17 pm
Whoa! Thanks for the list! I'll have to give them all careful consideration!

It's funny, having talked to a number of you guys here and on Twitter, and some friends, and I'm a bit assuaged about the name. I still don't think its powerful but lets see where it goes :)
Aug 4, 2015 7:02 pm
Keleth says:
Whoa! Thanks for the list! I'll have to give them all careful consideration!

It's funny, having talked to a number of you guys here and on Twitter, and some friends, and I'm a bit assuaged about the name. I still don't think its powerful but lets see where it goes :)
Michael's comments about the dangers of rebranding are true. Make sure you're happy with the name, but don't psych yourself out too much.
Aug 5, 2015 3:12 pm
I have said from the beginning how rebranding is not usually wise, but regardless I will throw in one last thought. I am still vehemently against a name change; that said, if we are to do so I think we should follow the route of keeping Gamer's Plane a network name and having numerous smaller sites as members of that network. I do not actually prefer this idea, but if you have your heart set on rebranding this is how I would do it. I would prefer it all to stay under gamersplane.com but its not my site. I feel gamers' plane is just too perfect a name. It implies a place for gamers, of all types. It tells people what the site is, but isn't too specific to limit growth. Going the route of rolltopost and what not basically precludes wargaming tutorials, products reviews, video game discussion and what have you. Play by post RPG might be the strong selling point, might always be, but it can be so much more without losing focus. I like the idea of a place for gamers...all gamers.
Aug 17, 2015 11:36 am
" Gamersplain... gamers plane."

This is the exact same thing I thought of, FWIW.
Aug 20, 2015 3:30 pm
I found another site here simply called "PBP House"... A bit bland and uninspiring, but still to the point: a place where you can play games in the pbp format...
Aug 20, 2015 4:23 pm
But that's the thing... to the point works out really well when you're small and focused, but leaves little room for overall growth. Still, as nothing better than GP has come up, I obviously haven't moved to change it :) I will be doing a page redesign soonish.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.