[Spoiler] Ready Player One

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Apr 16, 2018 2:49 pm
Have you seen Ready Player One yet? I haven't read the book but I LOVED the movie to pieces! Ah, the nostalgia! Did you love it as much as I did, seeing all the things you either grew up with (or in the case of others here, discovered because your folks wouldn't shut up about the things they grew up with)?

"Why can't we go backward for once? Really put the pedal to the metal, you know?"

Got me a bit teary eyed in parts too because I could relate more than a little bit to Halliday's social awkwardness. As I kid I preferred my books and my own imagination over what the real world had to offer. I think that when I "grew up" I didn't really learn to deal with people better - I simply got better at pretending. I prefer my escapist hobbies just as much as I always have. In fact, as I get older I think my misanthropy is actually worsening.

https://roadtovrlive-5ea0.kxcdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/ready-player-one-new-poster-1.jpg
Last edited April 16, 2018 4:30 pm
Apr 16, 2018 3:11 pm
I haven’t seen the movie but the book is one of my new favorite books. I’m worried about seeing the movie because so much fantasy and sci-fi elements seem to be missing from the preview. The book brought back so many memories of old games and movies. I have a soft spot for 80s movies and music so the book was a fun trip down memory lane. I’ll eventually see the movie when it comes out but if you have time I recommend reading the book.

Len

Apr 16, 2018 4:16 pm
That's awesome that you enjoyed the movie so much, Jabes!

Check out the new media discussion policy in the Forum Rules, I think you have to mark a thread about a new movie with a [Spoiler] tag now.
Apr 16, 2018 4:32 pm
@Coachthor: Oh I am definitely going to read the book!

@Lenpelletier: Whoops! Thank you for reminding me!
Apr 16, 2018 4:50 pm
Coachthor says:
I haven’t seen the movie but the book is one of my new favorite books. I’m worried about seeing the movie because so much fantasy and sci-fi elements seem to be missing from the preview. The book brought back so many memories of old games and movies. I have a soft spot for 80s movies and music so the book was a fun trip down memory lane. I’ll eventually see the movie when it comes out but if you have time I recommend reading the book.
Same here. The book is just like playing a videogame yourself.

Len

Apr 16, 2018 10:24 pm
I also saw the movie. I am envious of people who loved it, haha! I really wanted to like this movie, there were so many references to things I love. When the father-in-law's avatar turns out to be the Tychus Findlay character from StarCraft, or the van has the open-mouthed devil from Tomb of Horrors painted on the back, or when they stepped into the world of The Shining - these moments were very cool.

But, my personal experience was that this movie didn't make me feel anything (other than amazed at the special effects). I know many people did get an emotional charge out of this movie, so I'm sure its just my personal reaction. And I'm kinda jealous! Maybe I'm just jaded and hollow inside lol. But it was still a pretty neat visual experience :)
Apr 17, 2018 11:37 am
As well as the book, I highly recommend the audio book read by Wil Wheaton. The perfect choice.
May 4, 2018 6:16 pm
I loved this book and was a little disappointed in the movie to be honest. They did some amazing things in it and I was even on board with some of the changes but a few of them were unforgiveable for me. No Spoilers though.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.