Games with setting/genre: Magical Girl/Sentai?

Apr 27, 2018 4:43 am
So...I had an idea for an RPG setting emulating some of my favorite Japanese properties and started to hash some things out using Fate. I still might get to that, but this is more of a question about other games that use these tropes.

Does anyone know of a good game that emulates the "magical-girl" or "Super Sentai" genre well? i.e. Sailor Moon and/or Power Rangers

I know about the actual licensed Sailor Moon game...or at least one of them...so I'm looking for other suggestions.

There are a lot of games out there that could be used to do this, like Big Eyes, Small Mouth, but those tend to be "setting generic" and allow for everything anime has offered up. I'm looking for games that specifically are designed to do MG and/or SS specifically.

I'm not knocking BESM, I am a fan of the game, but it can break when someone doesn't have the same idea about how the game should go once you're at the table.

I'm looking for a game that covers transformations(from human to MG or SS and on up.) A focus on interpersonal relationships. Small talking mentor creatures. That kind of thing.

Any ideas? Also...I am looking for more plot driven games ...or narrative style play. But I'm not afraid of rules heavy text if it is suggested
Apr 27, 2018 10:42 pm
I would die for a well-engineered Sentai game, complete with poses, giant robots, and team attacks.
Apr 27, 2018 10:52 pm
Magical Burst.

Magical Fury.

Sparks of Light.

Princess: the hopeful.

HENSHIN!

Tokyo Heroes.

Cartoon Action Hour.

Super Happy Sentai Hour.

Apparently Feng Shui has an add-on for magical girl style play, but I have failed to find it...

I assume also that generic and universal games such as Fuzion, GURPS, Savage Worlds, Fate, etc. would also work, but would require a bit more work on the part of the GM...
Apr 28, 2018 3:20 am
Yeah...I don't know Fuzion, but GURPS and Savage Worlds, etc. are the kind of game I'm talking about where you can do that stuff, but isn't designed specifically to do it and takes effort to get the pieces working together. Again, not knocking them...just not what I'm looking for right now.

And...thanks for the list. I will look into these.
May 23, 2018 2:19 am
There is a supplement for White Star called Star Sailors which is a magical girl supplement.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.