D&D 5E: Adventures in Middle Earth

Apr 30, 2018 5:41 pm
Hey GP!

Does anyone else out there have any of the 5E Adventures in Middle Earth source books (by Cubicle 7)?

Has anyone played or ran a campaign using it?

Would be interested in talking about it with you if so...
May 2, 2018 10:02 pm
Falryx was running a game on here but it's on hiatus at the moment (the games private so I don't think there's any point in me sharing a link to it for you to reference). I've got some of the books and have read through most of the stuff but my only experience of it is their game but I'm happy to chat about it as I had a really good time with it (quite a different take to regular 5e)
May 2, 2018 10:25 pm
Ah, nice! That's really exciting...

I guess I was just wondering about some specific impressions of the new mechanics.

Were you(/the table) satisfied with the selection of Classes (and lack of magic)? Did they all play well with each other (balanced)?

Did the Shadow come up much/enough/too much?

How did Journey's work out as a storytelling and mechanic tool?
May 2, 2018 10:52 pm
emsquared says:
Were you(/the table) satisfied with the selection of Classes (and lack of magic)? Did they all play well with each other (balanced)?
I personally was and if the others weren’t they seemed to keep a tight lid on it so I’m guessing they were happy too. In our fellowship we seemed to have a good mix accross the AiME ‘classes’ and it never felt like we were short in any respects. The lack of magic didn’t seem to be an issue.
emsquared says:
Did the Shadow come up much/enough/too much?
We were getting the odd point here and there, just enough to feel ominous but not enough to be over the top for me. That said the game hasn’t really run for long enough for us to start seeing a mechanical impact from it.
emsquared says:
How did Journey's work out as a storytelling and mechanic tool?
I really like it. The roles you have for the fellowship whilst travelling make a lot of sense and add a lot of flavour to the journey giving most of the party a meaningful part to play whilst travelling (and not so much the ‘follow the ranger’ sub game that travelling tends towards in a lot of dnd games I’ve been in involved in before)
May 2, 2018 11:30 pm
Did any/most/all of the ppl playing have the book(s)? And if not, how did it go communicating the new options to those who didn't?

I have a couple IRL friends that I want to try to get into PbP, and they're familiar with 5E, but I only have the AiME books (and SRD), so I'm thinking of trying to run this for them...
May 3, 2018 7:49 pm
About 50/50 if I remember right. Falryx had the pdf’s and they copied and pasted some relevant sections to help those without sort their characters out.

I’d say it’s well worth it and seems to work quite nicely for this format of game. Especially as there’s a bit more focus on talking your way out of trouble than regular DnD - the lack of ready healing magic seems to make for a more cautious approach to most encounters :)

You do not have permission to post in this thread.