Interest Check: Mistborn Adventure Game

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

May 10, 2018 1:40 am
I recently got a copy of this game and of the first novel and I've been enjoying reading both. The Mistborn world is pretty cool and very different from other fantasy settings I've encountered. The game rules are light, but different than other games I've played and I am interested in giving the game a whirl.

Have any of you played this game? Anyone interested in giving the game a try?

For those who don't know what it is, here's a link to the corebook on DriveThru. The affiliate link is for Gamer's Plane!
May 10, 2018 2:00 am
I do believe I bought some Mistborn books in a Humble RPG Bundle a while back... As much as I'd like to participate since I know how smaller systems fare here on GP, I'm afraid I'm already in enough games already. I do not want to overstretch myself... Still good luck on your game.
May 10, 2018 2:07 am
I know how that goes! It's never enough, until it's too much.

And, thanks for the well-wishes!
May 10, 2018 2:13 am
I think I got Mistborn in some kind of Bundle of Holding, too. At 500+ pages in the rulebook, and having not yet read the novels, I am reluctant but not entirely against trying it.
May 10, 2018 2:24 am
The basic rules are pretty simple, if a little strange when compared to traditional games. GM sets difficulty between 1 & 5, Player rolls pool of d6s equal to their Attribute (+/- traits, tools, etc) and looks for a pair or more of numbers. That is their result. If the number is equal to or greater than the difficulty, it's a success. To figure the degree of success, you subtract the difficulty from the result and compare it to a ladder, similar to Fate.

I have read that the magic systems are more complex, but I haven't gotten there in the book, yet.
May 10, 2018 7:25 pm
I would be interested in playing this. But the magic system is a little complicated and not sure how it would play out over text based posts...
May 11, 2018 2:05 am
Well, I'm open to trying it out. Or trying to work out a time to play via voice on Discord or something like that, too.
May 11, 2018 4:51 am
I don't have the books or anything, but I have listened to the audiobooks for the Mistborn series a couple of times and loved them!
May 17, 2018 12:11 am
I'll try to read up and see if it's something that interests me. I've been feeling bad that I only play d&d 5.
May 17, 2018 3:43 am
I'm reading the first novel, now. I had never heard of it before this game and the introductory fiction was so well written I decided that I had to read the series.
May 17, 2018 3:48 am
Shark_Bone says:
I'm reading the first novel, now. I had never heard of it before this game and the introductory fiction was so well written I decided that I had to read the series.
It's an incredible series with an amazing magic system. Brandon Sanderson is the master of creating interesting and consistent magic systems. They have rules and follow logic. I love it!

Sorry for the rant! Be about your day, now 😀
May 17, 2018 4:20 am
This is where people start to hate me. I enjoyed the original Mistborn trilogy but not the others. Also, another series called Stormlight Archives started out great. Way of Kings was so good. The next two not so much. In fact, the most recent one made me give up on Sanderson altogether.
May 18, 2018 3:22 am
I'm really enjoying the first novel. I already know a little bit of what happens, due to spoilers in the RPG, but the characters are so interesting I'm not really bothered by knowing a few of the broad strokes in the story.
May 21, 2018 3:48 am
Hey, peeps, I drummed up some interest over on Roll20 and I think I'll run a one-shot over there. If any of you are interested, shoot me a message over there! Roll20 Thread

You do not have permission to post in this thread.