Grimm: Beyond Black Waters

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Oct 17, 2014 1:34 pm
This will be using Fantasy Flight Games' RPG Grimm. I am looking for 4-5 interested players. The game system is light and so the rulebook is not needed, I will guide chargen. If you want the rulebook it can be had in PDF format for $20 US. If you are interested please post below with the archetype you would like to play, first come first serve.

What is Grimm?

An RPG in which player characters are third or fourth graders who end up trapped in a twisted fairy tale world. The game is mostly a fantasy and adventure game with horror elements. The game uses the Linear D6 system which is a rules light system intended to make actions difficult but reliable. The game rewards cooperative play and is mostly narrative in nature in the same vein as Call of Cthulhu. Also like Call Grimm requires out of the box thinking as the characters are a little weak being that they are 8-12 year old children.

The Pitch:
Another dull summer has passed in the sleepy Maine town of Blackwater Glen. With equal parts excitement and disappointment the new school year has come and everyone has returned to the daily routine of school and homework. The month or so goes well enough but now with Halloween fast approaching you find yourself put into groups by your teacher for a special fun assignment. Blackwater Glen may be boring for the kids but it is an old town dating back to colonial times, steeped in history and folklore. Tales abound of haunted mines, monsters in the forests, and vengeful witches' spirits. For Halloween your teacher decides it fun to investigate and report on the history of some of the popular supposedly haunted places in town. A list of options is given and discussion on who will do what breaks out. Somehow through cajoling and triple dog dares your group gets assigned Satan's Wishing Well. The well is a decaying ruin located on an abandon logging camp outside of town, only the bravest of high schoolers ever go there and if you don't want your rep ruined all the way through high school your group will go there too.

The Characters:
Grimm uses an archetype system similar to World of Darkness, these are essentially classes and they are vaguely analogous to the D&D Standards as listed below. Please note that these classes are quite unique and diverse and are not truly just reskins of the below but instead are vaguely similar in role to the aforementioned. This game also relies heavily on having a diverse group with diverse abilities so I will not allow duplicate Archetypes.

The Bully - Something like a barbarian or man at arms

The Popular Kid - Something akin to a bard or any socialite characters

The Jock - The squad leader type, closest D&D class would be ranger/paladin

The Nerd - Your Wizardish

The Dreamer - Your Clericish Druid

The Outcast - Emo rogue

The Normal Kid - Your multi class character, can do a little of everything just not nearly as well as the others.

Challenges:
Accurately portraying a child is perhaps one of the greatest roleplaying challenges. I find it far easier to portray characters of the opposite gender or of differing cultures. The reason is because they still think like an adult and you likely have frequent encounters with the opposite gender and even other cultures in our multicultural world. Ironically even though we were all children unless you have children or work with them regularly you likely have little contact and no little about them. Keep in mind that in general children are naive, honest, trusting, eager to help, overconfident, cowardly, impulsive, and sometimes downright illogical. Children are very prone to peer pressure and taunting and they tend to be stubborn. I have three children so I know this well, try to keep this in mind when roleplaying a child. It is also important to note that like adults personalities vary and they do not have all of these traits at once or even at all, but they are common. Children are struggling to form their identity and they change from day to day, sometimes from moment to moment, including how they respond to a situation they have encountered in the past.
Oct 17, 2014 2:32 pm
Heh, portraying a child... its like you haven't met me before. This seems pretty cool. I'm drawn to the the Nerd or Dreamer.
Oct 17, 2014 11:29 pm
Glad to see some initial interest. Nerd or Dreamer doesn't surprise me for you, once you decide for sure let me know, I will tell you a little bit more about them below:

Dreamer's specialize in the imagination trait, allowing them to roll an extra die when using imagination. In addition dreamers get two iconic traits one of which is always imagination meaning that you can use imagination to create small magic like effects without actually learning true magic. They also have some natural healing ability and the ability to use imagination to copy the effects of a true magical spell they have witnessed, though they do not learn it. Dreamers have a weakness to charm and illusion. The dreamer will also start play with an extra keepsake (a mundane item from the real world that becomes magical when it enters the Grimm lands)

Nerds gain an extra die on all Study traits rolls. Since so many traits are benefited by the nerd's specialty his flaw does not allow you to ever get bonus dice on Muscle, cool, or scrap tests. As a side benefit nerds gain advantages to using imagination to solve puzzles. The nerd also has the ability to use book learning instead of cool to make social tests involving other intellectuals and has resistance to despair and temptation. The nerd is also capable of learning true magic in half the time it would normally take.

In short the Dreamer probably starts out more powerful but the nerd can become far more powerful in the long run. Either way both characters are very useful.
Oct 21, 2014 6:18 pm
Just thought I might clarify a bit in that you do not start with all of the abilities I mentioned, but rather you gain them as you advance. Hoping to see some interest in this game as I really want to run something and I am really feeling this game. Alternatively see my Numenera post for an alternative game option.
Oct 25, 2014 11:38 pm
This game system/setting sounds very interesting. I dont want to commit to more then one game right now as my very pregnant wife is currently in pre-labor so my time is going to become limited in the next few months, but I would be very interested in trying it out at some point. You have my cursor hovering over the buy button on fantasy flights website. LOL
Oct 26, 2014 12:46 am
Lol, congrats on the baby. I have three so believe me when I say I know. Good luck with the little one and know that I will leave a slot for you in the Grimm game when I am ready to run it.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.