Leaving Boltic: Chapter 2

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 15, 2015 12:39 am
Those staying at the wayhouse are woken as the sun rises by a knocking on the door. A barmaid waits outside with a covered tray. On the tray is fruit, oatmeal, eggs, and sausage. Tucked under the plate is a slip of paper. On it is a request to meet with Bane in front of the wayhouse within the hour. Bane is waiting with appropriate mounts and four burdened pack mules. He waits until all Galena, Graddy, and Bek all come outside before speaking, "So glad you could make it, I don't want to say this all more than once so if you'll follow me I will give you the information that you need to complete your task. Your fourth member wouldn't come into town, and I'm sure you'll figure out why."

Bane waits for the three to mount before striding swiftly towards the hills where Urthask has made his camp.
Aug 15, 2015 1:24 am
Is Bek happy to see a riding dog?
Aug 15, 2015 5:47 pm
Urthask rose long before dawn to check his rabbit snare and light a cook-fire. He gutted and skinned his catch expertly and set it higher than usual above the fire. He saddled Arktos and they backtracked half an hour up yesterday's path to the little spring they'd found. They drank their fill and Urthask refilled their waterskins before heading back to their camp. They arrived just in time for Urthask's rabbit. Arktos had eaten a deer haunch only yesterday. He'd be alright today. The half-orc finished his breakfast and broke camp just as dawn broke. He donned his armor and lounged beside Arktos, lance raised proudly, pennant flying, to wait for Bane and his new companions.
Aug 17, 2015 1:09 pm
Graddy's eyes moved to slits as he woke with the creak of wood beams from outside his room, it was morning it seemed as he slipped out of bed knife still in hand. As things went quiet outside the door cracked open and he surveyed the scene. Empty hall plus breakfast. Grabbing the breakfast he sniffed it a few times after he closed the door. Getting dressed for the day while eating took little time. Graddy found the slip of paper and pocketed it before going down stairs finishing on the fruit as he went, with his meager possessions on his back he moved out in front of the inn and waited for the others. After sucking and picking his teeth he figure it was a decent meal to start an adventure with.
Aug 18, 2015 1:17 am
Bek is very happy to see a riding dog
Aug 19, 2015 5:44 am
Bek rises well before the sun. He puts his arrow back into it's place in the quiver. He lights up a small fire in the hearth of his room and sets his iron near it. He fills his wash basin and takes off his shirt, rinsing it in the water to remove any crushed blood. Once the iron is hot enough, he flattens his clothes and makes certain they look crisp. As hi shirt dries, he takes his armor and some saddlesoap and cares for the leather, using a well kept rag to wipe off the excess. He tests the joints for their soft quiet purr and oils any that creek. He dresses, then slides the armor on, and finishes by reaffixing the candle to his shoulder, should he need to find his way through the dark, literally and figuratively. He stows his gear and is putting on his pack when there is a knock at the door. He eats of the breakfast provided thoughtfull and reflects on this bane while gazing at the gem he was given as payment. Before long, he puts it away and with a final thoughtful gesture, he makes sure his eyepatch sits cunning and heads down the stairs and sees that the group has gotten one human larger.

As Bek makes his way to the mounts, he finally sees something that makes him remember a happier time. Not only has Bane gotten a riding dog but he got a Kriegshetzer, one of the war dogs of the halfling tribes he once hailed from. A mostly black dog with well-defined mahogany or rust-colored markings, the Kriegshetzers were as friendly to masters as they were fierce to their enemies. As Bek neared the dog, he held out a downturned hand, offering it to the dog to sniff at. After a quick sniff and an even quicker lick, Bek approached the dog and ran his hand under his muzzle, petting him. He leaned in real close and whispered, "I shall name you Tyburn regardless of what any other has called you." Almost as in agreement, the big dog turns his head and licks Bek in the face, leaving a big trail of salive accross the halfling's face.

Bek hides a smile behind his stern gaze. He can't let the heathens see him as weak. He simply pets the beast and then mounts up, pull his reins to the side to see the others mount. He ears perk up when he hears Bane say there is even another and one that is strange enough to warrant a private entrance in the cover of the forest. Bek would keep his ears and eyes peeled for funny business. It wasn't that he mistrusted his patron, more that he was always paranoid so that it may help warn him early of the dangers around the corners.
Aug 20, 2015 3:14 pm
Galena rises and greets the serving girl with a warm smile. She opens the door and points to the small table beside the bed. She asks for hot water to be brought up next. The girl leaves and Galena reaches into her satchel. She places a dark gray bundle of cloth on the floor and unties it. The inside of the cloth is covered in white painted symbols and holds a small wooden box and a blue wax candle. She then gets another bundle of things out of her bag. This one holds a small bar of soap and a cloth. When the serving girl returns with the kettle of hot water, Galena has her pour it into the basin. Galena begins to wash herself.

When she is done with that, Galena packs the soap away and does some stretches. Finally she sits down in front of the cloth and candle. She lights the candle and opens the small box. Saying a few words in an strange alien language, Galena takes a pinch of the fine gray powder inside the box and sprinkles it around the candle. As it reaches the height of the flame it lights up and floats, forming a ring six inches above the floor. Rising, Galena stands with her feet should width apart and extends her hand out. As it enters the area above the magically glowing ring and the candle a blue scaled clawed hand grasps her wrist suddenly. It pulls on her, and she responds by pulling her own arm back. As she does the blue scales seem to flip off of the clawed hand and move on to Galena. The scales move faster and faster, growing in size and changing their appearance. The wrap her body and become armor and spikes and claws, a blue a green second skin. The whole process taking ten minutes.

When it is completed the candle snuffs out. The dust flashes and burns up leaving no trace of its presence but a faint hint of brine in the room. Galena carefully packs away her belongings and turns to the tray of food. She eats the fruit and eggs first. then savors the taste of the sausages then drinks down the oatmeal quickly. She arrives in front of the inn to meet Bane and the others just before the end of the allotted hour.

"Good morning all. Did we all sleep well?"
Aug 20, 2015 8:10 pm
"I figure so since we're all here in one piece." Graddy commented before listening to the instructions. Being the last of the trio present Graddy nodded to the employer. "Lead the way boss." he stated getting into position and taking stock of what they had. This probably would take a bit it seemed by the amount of beasts in the traveling group.
Aug 29, 2015 12:23 am
[[sorry for the late update, been crazy busy]]

Bane sets out for Urthask's camp without another word once everyone arrives. As they arrive Urthask is just finishing his breakfast. This is your final companion for your journey to Graystone. He has an interest in some of his clansmen who entered the ruins. This is a map to the entrance of the citadel which is the peak of a tower that is on the surface. Here he pulls out a worn scroll and hands it to Galena. The item that I desire is a crown that rests in the citadel's treasury. For reason's I don't feel like disclosing I can't retrieve the item myself. Anything else you find within is yours to keep. You'll have to work your way through the citadel fighting whatever creatures have made their way in and bypassing any damage that has happened. These are blue prints of the citadel, you don't need to know how I have them. These he passes to Bek. Nothing to big should have made it into the Ruins and the Hallways should be large enough for your bear to accompany you Urthask. Any other questions?
Aug 29, 2015 4:23 am
Urthask fished a small packet out of his belt pouch. He unfolded the packet, revealing a mixture of dried herbs and powders which might have been mistaken for chewing tobacco had it not been an angry shade of red, and smelled far more potent. This was gutka, a strong stimulant traditionally used by his tribe. The warrior took a pinch of this and rubbed it into his gums before putting the packet away. His pointed teeth, it could be seen, were stained permanently red by the concoction, making it perpetually seem as if he had blood in his mouth. The effect was doubly stark seen, as it was now, against the backdrop of the enormous ghost bear's snowy white flank. Urthask flashed those teeth now in what must have been a smile. "Well met! I am Urthask, son of Galazur! I am glad the gods have brought us together this day."

Getting down to business, Urthask scans Bane's map before it gets passed to Bek. Nodding, the young Rider claps on his helm and mounts up.
Last edited September 3, 2015 5:52 am
Sep 2, 2015 11:57 pm
The map details the surrounding area and roads that lead to Graystone as well as off of the map. Where the Darkwood stands there is a city marked indicating that the map is a copy of a much older one. There are also differences in the coastline to the south. The blue prints are fairly well drawn, they look like copies of a builder's plan.
Sep 3, 2015 5:59 am
Urthask has already pointed Arktos' nose in the direction indicated, and is moving at a good but unhurried pace. Inwardly both rider and bear wish they could rush headlong to their lost clansmen, but Urthask understands the need to work well with the others and is trying his best. Still, not being good with social interactions, he doesn't know what to say when he glances back at them from the front of the group. He stifles back what was almost a command to pick up the pace. He whips his attention back forward. It seems his cheerful morning greeting and his best smile were the limit of his social graces.
Sep 3, 2015 2:04 pm
Graddy nodded through the final details of the mission. Map of the area, blue prints, another person on the team. "None really from me, I figa' we make fo da best vantage point o' the area closer to citadel and figure out more from there, better to get going and figure out what's in the area before we make a plan of how we're getting in and through or around and ova' yeah?" Graddy would state tapping an area on the map that looked like it might be a vantage point.

After the group is ready to go with the new member eager to get going seemed to always be a bit ahead of the rest of the group plus the pack animals. Graddy would leave the man to his own devices, he would either scout ahead and see any dangers or run into any issues before the rest of them if trouble came up abruptly.
Sep 8, 2015 8:44 pm
Bane points the group in the right direction, "As I've alluded I can not enter the city and from here you will go without me. If I find another person willing to make this journey I will have them meet you along the way."
Sep 10, 2015 12:02 am
"You have said that thrice now. Without falling into your bad graces, would it behoove you to make us party to why you are unable? Lest it come around to bite us when we least need it to."
Last edited September 10, 2015 12:02 am

Rolls

Sense Motive - (1d20+7)

(6) + 7 = 13

Sep 10, 2015 12:35 am
Bane waves a hand in a vague manner, "Don't upset powerful people, they can make it very hard to achieve your goals... Advice that I was never given but would have benefited from." You sense a grim and rueful smile beneath the hood.
Sep 10, 2015 12:58 am
"Thanks for the advice. And the gem. We will be off then to hopefully find more and perhaps this crown for you." Bek squeezes his heels together to get the dog trotting. He keeps to the back left of the polar bear as it sets the pace.
Sep 10, 2015 8:48 pm
Current Party: As you set off in the direction indicated Bane gestures to Galena and mutters a few words to her, "...... Something else .... need .. you .......... important ......" You don't hear most of it but she nods grimly and rides off in a different direction with a slight wave. As you ride you begin to get to know one another and settle into the routine of making camp each night, the journey is fairly uneventful as you ride through miles upon miles of farmland to the west of Boltic.

Garrett Hammerfell: You are days late to the meeting spot near Boltic having encountered a small group of Highway men. Having little of value they took you captive hoping for a ransom instead of taking all of your belongings. After a few days you manage to escape in the night and stumble back towards where you hope the road is. You also managed to retrieve all of your gear before escaping.

Everyone: A man in heavy armor stumbles into camp on your third night of making camp together, he is bruised and has dirt and twigs covering him.
Sep 10, 2015 9:21 pm
Bek runs and jumps into any brush that is close to the camp.

Rolls

Stealth while moving - (1d20+6)

(5) + 6 = 11

Sep 10, 2015 9:28 pm
Garrett stumbles into the camp of a group of adventures. He sighs audibly with relief, "Thank Iomedae," he whispers, then continues to the people in the camp, "At last! The road! Thought I would never find it," he looks behind him as if he had forgotten something, "Might want to keep an eye out, I recently escaped a group of highwaymen, they may still be out there."

He stops suddenly, "I'm sorry, where are my manners?" he stands up straight, meeting everyone's eyes, "My name is Garrett Hammerfell, Paladin of Iomedae," he will then wait for everyone to introduce themselves.

Rolls

Perception to notice Bek moving - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Sep 10, 2015 9:55 pm
Garrett fails to notice that Bek has ducked into the shrubs.
Sep 11, 2015 11:31 am
"Well that's a fair bit o' advise Hammerfall... but hands in de open if you please." Graddy stated by the campfire hand instinctively going to his sword hilt. "Anyone can stumble out o' bushes wit a cautionary tale mate, if there are bandits 'bout it could very well be part of distraction to have a mate in armor come crashing into the open and bumble about. Besides if they're out there you coming out would give them idea of where everyone is and such." Graddy stated the obvious, if they were going to get attack no use in use nice words was his initial thought he'd just shot the unexpecting people in a camp from the shadows and be done with the whole lot. But to each their own he figured.

(OoC: Rolling Sense Motive to see if Garrett is on the level. & Perception to see what all is going on about the area.)

Rolls

Sense Motive - (1d20+6)

(12) + 6 = 18

Preception - (1d20+11)

(1) + 11 = 12

Sep 11, 2015 12:42 pm
During this exchange Urthask remained, oddly enough, calmly sitting, chewing a pinch of gutka. The young rider had been watching the disheveled knight's approach from many yards away. Urthask's huge flail lay across his lap but his hands were folded lazily behind his head as he sat leaning against Arktos' flank. The ghost bear had rumbled a warning as soon as he had caught Garret's scent, and Urthask's eyes, adapted to piercing the darkness, had picked out the man approaching them while he was still yards away. The half-orc warrior continued to feign an outward calm, but was in truth prepared to spring into action. He studied the newcomer with a piercing gaze, reading his stance, marking his weapons and armor, looking past him into the darkness to see if there are others.
Sep 11, 2015 12:59 pm
Garrett will raise his hands up to show that he is unarmed, "I can understand your caution, but I am not here to cause you any harm. I was simply on my way to Boltic to meet up for a possible job when I was ambushed and taken captive. By the time I escaped a few days ago, I was late getting to Boltic and the deadline had passed, he will explain calmly, "I am truly not looking for a fight here and I didn't mean to interrupt your camp. I can leave now if you'd like."

He will explain all of this calmly with his hands in the air, trying to appear as non-threatening as he can.

Rolls

Diplomacy - (1d20+6)

(17) + 6 = 23

Sep 11, 2015 2:51 pm
Urthask rises slowly, rising to his formidable height. "Well met, Garrett Hammerfell, Paladin of Iomedae. I am Urthask, son of Galazur. Please, be welcome. Have some food, warm yourself by the fire." The half-orc smiles sincerely. He sees no reason to doubt the man, but just to be sure... he gestures welcomingly to a spot near him, within easy reach of his flail or Arktos' jaws.
Sep 11, 2015 3:13 pm
Garrett returns Urthask's smile, "I appreciate your kindness, Urthask, Son of Galazur. It has been a few days since I've had good food and a warm fire, and even longer since I've had good companionship," he will sit where Urthask indicated and help himself to some food, "If I may be so bold as to ask, what are you doing out here?" he will ask, curiosity in his voice.
Sep 11, 2015 4:53 pm
"I am in search of my clansmen." Urthask gestures across the campfire towards Graddy. "I have befriended this gentleman on the road. His business is his own. And yourself, sir? You spoke of some misadventures."
Last edited September 11, 2015 5:05 pm
Sep 11, 2015 5:00 pm
"My order's temple was destroyed several years ago, and I have been mostly alone since. Not long ago I received a job offer promising great wealth, perhaps enough to rebuild my order. I was to meet my employer days ago in Boltic, but I was accosted and kidnapped by highwaymen before I could get there," he will begin his story, taking short breaks to eat his meal, "By the time I escaped a couple nights ago it was too late to make my rendezvous. I have been trying to make my way back to a town to recover my wits, and that's when I stumbled upon your camp, much to my good fortune."
Sep 11, 2015 6:34 pm
(OoC: I'm going to assume my sense motive passes as well as being able to tell if people are chasing Garrett with frayed ropes and a gag all angry like.)

Graddy snorted to himself mostly after realization.

Huh... Ol' dodg'a went 'n banged every tree in de forest lookin' fo people ta 'unt down dis crown o' 'is. Graddy thought to himself a slight snare curling his lip.

"Well you seem on the up and up I guess, and it seems we may know who was going to employ you. Urthask seems to trust you at least testing that would put you in between a few rough blokes and a bear it seems. You seem able enough and we have a bit of provisions, down one and up one and all that I guess." Graddy said with a shrug, "As long as no one out and about objects." Graddy said aloud to no one in particular.

With de bird gun maybe Mister Grumpy spit 'n ya eye will be in a less foul mood Graddy thought to himself. If Bek made himself known or not was up to him. Everyone made choices... for Graddy maybe he had another human shield for when things got dicey... considering Bane's cryptic nature and the possibly play they would eventually come down to being in a dicey situation eventually.

"Name's Graddy." Graddy stated not really moving still in the same position as if coiled before his jaw set into place.
Last edited September 11, 2015 6:35 pm
Sep 11, 2015 8:40 pm
Graddy: Garrett is on the level, Bek is in the shrubs for whatever reason but you see no signs of pursuit
Sep 15, 2015 1:18 pm
Graddy motions towards the larger man and his bear and the offer of food for the paladin to recharge a bit. Things were going easy enough for now. Just a few guys in the woods doing outdoorsy things on their way to retrieve an crown for a mysterious shady boss. Graddy would lean back hands still close to his weapon, might as well get in the relaxing now before things got hairy... they always did in this line of work. Graddy didn't know much of the larger man Urthask but he seemed civil enough to chat and give of his things freely... It made Graddy feel like a bit of a tool... realization that he was one though had he think of other things. Thoughts of the map and the idea there were people in the area spun into his mind. He'd busy himself with thoughts of places of would be ambushers in the future. If the smaller one didn't show up in the next bit he'd move about so he could make a hiding spot for the wee one. Either Garrett fell into the same lot at the lady he was giving stink eyes to or maybe they had history. Whatever his reasons it wasn't Graddy's business to get involved or question the smaller bloke's actions. As long as they did the job and he got paid the angry small man could be off punching rabbits and squirrels in the face for fun for all he cared.

Once a bit of time went by Graddy would ask about Garrett's captures, their numbers and a description and such.

(OoC: I take it a bit of RPing until we're ready to go in the morning, or ambush?)
Sep 15, 2015 2:45 pm
Garrett goes into as much detail as he can for Graddy, being as forthcoming as possible about what he knows. While this is going on he keeps an eye on the outside of the camp, making sure that the bandits haven't followed him.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(6) + 2 = 8

Sep 15, 2015 5:41 pm
There were three of the bandits in the camp at any given time, though there were another dozen or so that came and went. Mostly human men but there was a woman who seemed to be in charge of things. She had a strange look about her, she seemed to be to pale for her life style. There was a pair of halflings twins that seemed to share the position of second in charge and often fooled the others as to which was which. Garrett is fairly sure that he has evaded capture and that the highwaymen have lost his trail as he followed a couple of streams to confuse tracks.

[[And yes a wee bit of RP before I move on]]
Sep 16, 2015 12:33 pm
Graddy nodded to the explanation from the man on his situation. Ransom was out if Garrett came from a temple that wasn't well known and overladen with heavy coffers. That lead him think of trafficking people either selling as slaves or something else, cannon fodder in illegal fights came to mind or food for some horrific beasts. Graddy would try and remember any thing along the way for talk if highway bandits or kidnappers and word of any bounties of the people he had a bit more of a description of. For the most part he kept quiet. Making everyone nervous of a possible fight 3 to 1 or more didn't sit well. Graddy would check the map to see if the Paladin could piecemeal together enough of his escape to figure out where he came from, they'd be searching in the area around if it was not that dangerous. Best case scenario they'd expect him to stumble around and die someplace in the woods and look for the carrion birds to find them. Graddy didn't make a point of being a wishful thinker though.

(OoC: Try and get the map out and figure out with Garrette where he came from, that might reveal if they'll just be on guard for their trip or high alert due to possible good situations to pull an ambush. Also trying to remember if the pale woman and twins were in any local news we heard on the way to Boltic... like there's a bounty on their heads.)
Sep 16, 2015 8:31 pm
Graddy: The map you have been given by Bane doesn't show that there are any trees in the area despite the forest beside you. The road that you have been traveling runs East to West and Garrett came from the North. You noticed that there were wanted posters in the wayhouse but didn't pay them mind except to notice that you weren't on any of them.
Sep 16, 2015 8:48 pm
Urthask has been sitting quietly listening to the two men talk. Abruptly he interrupts to ask a question of Garrett, "What do you intend to do now? Do you continue to Boltic in the morning?"

Rolls

Keeping my eyes peeled... - (1d20+1)

(14) + 1 = 15

Sep 16, 2015 9:19 pm
Garrett will shrug, honestly unsure of his course, "I already missed my contact, and I was told not to be late, so I'm sure my chance is gone now. I suppose I'll just have to look for another opportunity. Where are you two headed?"
Sep 16, 2015 9:22 pm
Urthask glances at Graddy. The contract did stipulate secrecy, and Urthask had sworn a solemn oath.
Sep 17, 2015 4:20 am
Bek has been sitting in the shadows assessing this newcomer. He tries to tell whether he lies or not. Once it seems he's been honest about his dealings, Bek keeps his eyes open and his bow drawn waiting on any extra guests.
Sep 17, 2015 1:53 pm
Thoughts of keeping heads if they find bandits along the way come to mind. I would probably be a day or two before any would be tracker found them unless the paladin's captors had someone good, they'd be off in the morning anyway.

If it's in self defense they end up with a knife in their stomach it's not our fault, brining a bag o heads though might be a bit much... might be money in it though. Better them than me. Graddy mused his thumb running across his chin as Urthask asked about Garrett's plans, it seems Garrett had a similar situation to his own, a bit late to the party and nary a coin to spare for it.

"You know 'ow it is mate, two blokes in the wood enjoying not being shot at or stabbed for a spell before they go do a bit of work..." Graddy half joked half jumped around the subject when asked about what they were doing in the forest roads. "I guess we have an opportunity of sorts if you don't need to have a lot of questions answered we don't need to provide answers. Pay should be good if we do a fair share o work so to speak, don't know yet morally if it's in the white, black, or grey. Nothing horrific from what we know is on the list of to does but you never know. Since we're a bit tied up in the telling of details if you do a bit 'o good deeds oddly enough in the immediate area we're in by say helping us out so to speak shouldn't we be giving a tithing for the 'enlightment' of someone from yo religion for being a shining example of your scriptures in motion?" Graddy juggled around the subject, the guy might get it but he might not. Urthask would know Graddy was telling the man things without really telling him any details of what they were doing. Graddy figured it was a bit of a loophole to sub contractor someone out to do work for free, giving a tithing to a religion though wouldn't be uncalled for, Bane would probably be less disgruntled though if they got results. More warm bodies helped that along in Graddy's thoughts.
Last edited September 17, 2015 1:53 pm
Sep 17, 2015 3:35 pm
Garrett listens carefully to Graddy, and he can tell he's trying to avoid going in depth on the subject. He will sit and appear to think for a moment, extending his senses to find out what kind of people he is working with.

"I suppose I could stick around for a while, if it's not too much trouble. I would, however like to speak to your employer if given a chance, I'd like to know what I'm getting into. And I'm going to be straightforward with you; if I find out that you are trying to do harm to anyone undeserving on this quest I will not be able to help you."

Garrett uses Detect Evil
Sep 17, 2015 5:23 pm
"Fair enough mate, employa'z bit fickle t' say the least 'n where 'e is and what 'e tells people. In truth I'd like to know a bit more myself but I'm fine with 'e level I do have being a bit shaky since I'm light on m' feet. If we're being straightforward to me it's the same thing as being blunt. Being deserving of the short end o' da stick is in the perspective of the one getting shafted init?" Graddy admitted.

"If you're asking if I'm the sort that might get an innocent involved due to the hesitation of others yeah it can 'appen if its needed. By the by I try and play nice with others due to being in a group but considering where we're 'eaded no one's going to want to talk things ova and 'old 'ands round a campfiya and sing 'bout how it's a lovely nite n everything's right. Mind you I'm not the type to just up and punch some pintsize in the face cus I'm bored at the same time if I thought you might 'ave been a bandit trying to distract us I wouldn't have trouble sleepin' afta bury a few fingers o steel between yo ribs n armour." Graddy continued tapping his own ribcage with a thumb, "Truth be told we all have something that motivates us, sometimes what motivates me... turns me into a propa arse. But... I get results, I'll think about how that makes me feel when I'm bleed'in out or dyin." he finished his eyes smiling predatorily in the firelight and he smirked slightly.

(OoC: Mechanically NE alignment .> This is fun XD)
Last edited September 17, 2015 5:23 pm
Sep 17, 2015 7:07 pm
"Suffice, I value my honor. Though in my travels I've found "honor" holds different meanings to different people. I will protect my honor but will not hold others to the same."
Last edited September 17, 2015 7:08 pm
Sep 17, 2015 8:04 pm
Garrett will nod, thinking over what he has heard and the fact that he can feel that Graddy is evil, but not Urthask, "Well, I say that we get some rest then, and we can speak more in the morning, it's been a long couple of days," he decides to stick with them for a bit, both because he has nothing to do and because he is interested in what kind of job could bring two people who are so obviously different together, "Which watch do you want me to take?"
Sep 18, 2015 7:17 pm
"Makes no difference to me mate. Which eva makes you 'appy, I guess I'll go first watch meself." Graddy stated poking the fire a bit before stretching in place and rolling his neck. Graddy figured the guy would at least stick around long enough to 'repay' them for the food.

(OoC: NE can stand for Neutral Evil but I like to think of it as Necessary Evil... XD)
Sep 19, 2015 5:20 pm
The night passes and nothing happens throughout the night. In the morning you break camp and continue down the road. You travel a week and meet only travelers along the road until you spot a hooded figure waiting by a boulder next to the road. As you approach the familiar voice of Bane calls out, "I see you found another one of my choices, what held you up Garrett? And since I have used Galena for a separate purpose I thought that I should replace her." Here he makes a small gesture with one hand and a man steps out from the other side of the boulder. "Of course they will both have to sign the contract."
Sep 20, 2015 6:07 am
Stepping around from behind the boulder Cadren looks rather non-threatening as he is to young (18ish years old) and has the complexion of someone in poor health as he is entirely too pale. While he is clearly well muscled it is the physique of someone that has done a lot of physical labor while never having had enough to eat. He wears old, well used, studded leather armor and a curved sword rests comfortably on his hip. He wears the sword with the ease that only comes with years of training and experience. Cadren gives the group a quick once over before turning and addressing Bane, "You know I'll sign your contract, but when the job is done I expect you to hold up your end of the bargain we struck."
Sep 20, 2015 6:17 am
Bane chuckles quietly as he pulls out the contract, "Of course I'll stick to my end of the bargain, I haven't lied to you yet have I? Sign and you will get what is coming to you once this task is completed." Bane will turn his head towards the group that has traveled up the road, "Now the rest of you, any questions that you may have thought of since we last saw each other? This will be the last chance that you get to ask me before you get to the city of Graystone."
Sep 20, 2015 1:39 pm
Garrett will shrug and respond, "Sorry, I got captured by a group of highwaymen. Took a little bit longer than expected to get out of that jam. So long as you keep up your end of the deal and I don't have to go against my oaths I'll keep up with my end."
Sep 20, 2015 5:39 pm
Urthask stares down from atop his bear mount. He salutes the newcomer, "Well met, young warrior! I am Urthask, son of Galazur." The Rider turns his cold gaze on their employer. "Will there be any more surprises from you, Bane? I don't very much like surprises. It wearies one's patience. And trust."
Sep 20, 2015 8:55 pm
Garrett I have very little to hold up, if you do what I require the reward will be greater than even the greediest of your companions can imagin." Bane shrugs at Urthask, "This was meant as a good surprise, but there should be no others in the foreseeable future. Cadren here should be quite helpful to you and your endeavors, he is a very versatile young man."
Sep 20, 2015 10:29 pm
Garrett will hold his hand out to Cadren and smile, "Well met Cadren, I look forward to working with you." he will then look over the contract and, seeing that it's all pretty standard, will sign it, nodding to Bane.
Last edited September 20, 2015 10:30 pm
Sep 21, 2015 7:52 pm
Graddy seemed to have gone silent once the work started again of traveling only going over the necessary bits when needed. He raised and eyebrow to the newest of contractors on the job. A bit of a snare curled on his lips with the mention of the 'greediest of the companions'.

"Name's Graddy." Graddy stated to Cadren thumbing over his shoulder, "You're welcome t' a mule if y' don't have a 'orse. Can't 'ave you all tired when we get there." he added.

Looking to Bane Graddy shook his head, "Can't think o something more. Job's pri'ee straight forward if we don't look at the small details and the fatal stuff really. Do'net?" he said with a wry smile.

Bane had coin to shell out a bit, if he was willing to go through this much he was either quite brilliant and cunning, or eccentric and off his rocker. Graddy was looking forward to the pay afterwards either way... he was in truth probably the greediest.

(OoC Welcome to the new player and sizing them up.)
Last edited September 21, 2015 7:54 pm

Rolls

Sense Motive (Sizing him up) - (1d20+6)

(12) + 6 = 18

Perception (Trying to figure out what he's got on him) - (1d20+11)

(20) + 11 = 31

Sep 22, 2015 11:03 pm
Cadren signs the contract and says "Well this should be much more interesting then the last job I worked at any rate". He then turns to the Party and introduces himself, My name is Cadren, nice to meet you all. Then addressing Graddy directly, The mule is much appreciated seeing how I lost my horse on the last job I worked.

As far as gear that he has, the only stand outs are his spell components pouch that is positioned to be at the base of his back under his cloak(wont be seen unless you are looking for/at it or he is actively using it: It is not specifically hidden but he tries not to draw attention to it whenever possible), and the Katana that he has at his side. He also has 5 daggers worn in different spots (only one is worn openly). Everything else seems to be standard adventuring gear.

(OoC: What kind of information were you looking for on the sense motive roll Graddy?)
Sep 23, 2015 12:29 pm
(OoC: Sense Motive is to detect falsehoods and true intentions really so it's literally sizing you up to see your state of mind and mannerisms when talk to the group. I got a general impression I think from what Carden just said and how he said it though.)
Sep 23, 2015 8:17 pm
Result of the Sense motive: He has no obvious mannerisms, State of mind would be exhausted in a word but he speaks clearly and has that gleam of intelligence in his eyes like he knows more then he is letting on but is not outwardly lying about anything.
Sep 24, 2015 1:49 am
Bane looks at the contract and nods almost imperceptibly and turns to leave, "I'll leave you to it then." Bane walks around the boulder and a faint pop is heard.
Sep 24, 2015 5:34 am
Having already made introductions with Cadren, Urthask judges there are no more words to be said. With a nod to the group in general and a pat on his great bear mount's neck, he leads them back on the march.
Sep 24, 2015 1:27 pm
Graddy spurs on his own mount and makes sure the gear and pack mule team not being ridden is following up behind him. Going back to looking around his index finger taps the bow and arrow in his lap. If things went well he wouldn't have to use it until they run into something in the city ruins... otherwise... Graddy ran his tongue across his teeth and he scanned the area.

(OoC: Actively looking around so let me know when I should make a perception check.)
Sep 24, 2015 1:31 pm
Garrett follows along with the rest, keeping an eye out for danger, and attempting to make small talk with the others.

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(5) + 2 = 7

Sep 24, 2015 10:45 pm
(make a check just to see what is there)
Garrett: You don't see anything of note.
Sep 25, 2015 1:33 pm
(OoC okay, I guess everyone should do this then... I wonder if the new members have noticed the riding dog and ninja gnome...)

Rolls

Perception Check - (1d20+11)

(18) + 11 = 29

Sep 27, 2015 8:42 pm
Graddy: There are a few small game animals hiding in the underbrush but nothing threatening. There is also a storm forming in the distance.
(I'm letting people who are looking make the rolls, but if they aren't looking I'm not going to force the issue.)
Sep 27, 2015 9:37 pm
Graddy kept an eye out for anything odd but since he's seeing the occasional small game he figures nothing major going on at the moment, he stays quiet and scans the area watching.

(OoC: If we're good on food I won't really try and kill anything so we make good time, if we're hard up for a fresh meal I'll look for stuff along the way to eat that isn't going to make us sick. If we're good on food though disregard. I'll keep the small animal spotting up since when I don't see them I'll know something is up, have me roll when appropriate.)
Sep 29, 2015 5:46 pm
Bane has stocked up your stores rather well and the pack mules are loaded to capacity.
Oct 1, 2015 9:17 pm
After a few weeks you reach the Western plains, and according to your map the place where Graystone once stood. The plains stretch out before you vast and seemingly flat. Someone roll me a Knowledge: Geography check please.
Oct 2, 2015 3:43 am
Urthask surveys the vista before him, his heart beating with excitement. The Lost Riders are down there somewhere! He will be with his clansmen soon!
OOC: I don't expect Urthask to know much about the world outside his home.

Rolls

Knowledge, Geography [untrained] - (1d20)

(1) = 1

Oct 2, 2015 12:43 pm
"On yo righ' mate..." Graddy would mention passing by Urthask and glancing at the view the larger man was looking indicating what was more likely a path for someone to travel through the area in the distance, "Gonna scout ahead now we're a bi' closa... I'll whistle if it's rough. Eye n ears gents." he added.
Last edited October 5, 2015 1:20 pm

Rolls

Geology Knowledge roll [untrained] - (1d20)

(17) = 17

Oct 5, 2015 1:43 pm
Garrett is looking out at the plains before him, looking for anything of interest.

Rolls

Knowledge (Geography) - (1d20)

(9) = 9

Oct 10, 2015 11:07 pm
Cadren looks out over the plains with an almost bored expression.

Rolls

Knowledge Geography (untrained) - (1d20)

(11) = 11

Oct 11, 2015 12:27 am
Urthask: You are far to absorbed in thoughts of your homeland and and your clansmen to notice anything about the landscape.
Garrett and Cadren: You are not as well traveled as you thought you were and don't notice anything out of the ordinary.
Graddy: You notice that the plains are not as flat as they seem to be at first, your canny eye spots shadowing that speak of deep dips and holes in the ground.
Oct 12, 2015 10:56 am
"When we geta'head to plains mind yaselves for hidden pock 'ets in the ground... if I was an more unsavorable type I'd 'ide in 'ere and wait for an opportunity to present itself." Graddy warned the rest over his back before pressing on to scout with his bow at the ready but still in his lap.

(OoC: Letting everyone know what I'd do in the environment as a warning to a possible ambush and continuing to press and look around. Let me know if I need to do a perception roll when it's relevant.)
Oct 12, 2015 3:02 pm
Urthask acknowledges Graddy's warning with a nod stays alert as he urges Arktos forward.
Oct 12, 2015 3:04 pm
Garrett nods to Graddy, "Thanks for the warning, I probably wouldn't have noticed until it was too late," he says and moves forward.
Oct 22, 2015 2:16 am
You navigate the great plains easily for the next week and quickly loose sight of where you came from. Only the rising and setting sun give you any sense of direction as you continue West. Determine a watch rotation that you follow through the nights.
Oct 22, 2015 12:52 pm
The monotony wasn’t getting to Graddy yet as they settle down for the night once again, "I’ll take last shift for watch mates." the rogue of the group stated picking his teeth. With a yawn Graddy scratched himself before finding a place by the fire pulling his cloak about him his face hidden in the shadows of the hood.

(OoC: I’m assuming there’s a fire also I’m assuming we had stew for dinner.)
Oct 22, 2015 9:14 pm
"I suppose I can take up the first watch," Garrett says as everyone settles in for the night.
Oct 22, 2015 9:22 pm
"Arktos and I will take the third watch." Urthask says simply. In truth, it is difficult for him to sleep through the deepest hours of night, when the beloved stars are at their most brilliant, and the solitude is like sweet, dark wine.

OOC: 2hrs per shift, right?
Last edited October 22, 2015 9:25 pm
Oct 30, 2015 4:39 pm
"Guess that leaves me with second"Cadren says before shrugging and setting up his pack to serve as a pillow. Laying down he places his sword well within reach incase trouble occurs during the night.

(ooc: sorry it took me so long to post. been working long hours and haven't really had a chance to get online lately)
Oct 31, 2015 12:23 am
Garrett role me a perception for the first watch.

((Assume campfire and roughly 2 hour shifts))

Rolls

Because - (1d100)

Oct 31, 2015 4:12 am
[Perception]

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+2)

(2) + 2 = 4

Nov 1, 2015 6:51 pm
Garrett, everything seems to be perfectly safe this night. The air is clam and the temperature comfortable.

Cadren, your turn for a perception check.

Rolls

Secret Roll

Nov 18, 2015 5:36 pm
[Perception Check]

Rolls

Perception - (1d20+1)

(10) + 1 = 11

You do not have permission to post in this thread.