LFG 5e- Newb to posting.

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Jun 9, 2018 9:32 pm
I started out with Pathfinder, but had trouble maintaining a steady group. Been building characters and reading rule books for years now without actually playing much. I’ve watched all the PAX games and listen to a few podcasts. YMIA Tavern podcast actually introduced me to this website. I’ve been studying 5e and building characters for this edition.
I have a half-elf ranger character that I’ve built semi-modeled after Indiana Jones that I would like to play in a campaign.
Race: Half-Elf
Class: Ranger
Alignment: Neutral Good
Background: Sage
Specialty: Researcher
Personality Traits: I am willing to listen to every side of an argument before I make my own judgement.
There’s nothing I like more than a good mystery.
Ideal: I research ancient tombs and dungeons searching for artifacts or magic items for historical preservation and to keep powerful objects of history out of the hands of evil-doers.
Flaw: I speak without really thinking through my words, invariably insulting others.
I’ve decided it would be cool for my heirloom long sword to be a moonblade handed down the elven side of my family.
My mother was Human and my Father is a Wood Elf. Don’t have any story for my parents but I thought it would be interesting to "unlock" the runes on my sword through different interactions throughout my journey.

Not sure if this is too much information for my first post or not enough. I’m really excited to start playing a game and any help or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Edit: Spelling error
Last edited June 9, 2018 9:34 pm
Jun 10, 2018 6:39 am
Welcome to the community, FireProphet! New D&D 5e games are popping up all the time here so you should have no trouble getting finding one soon if you keep your eye on the Games Tavern.

Indiana Jones huh? I tried that once using a variant human crossbow expert rogue armed with whip and hand crossbow.
Jun 10, 2018 3:27 pm
Thank you for your welcome and your response.
I conaidered the rogue class as well but decided the ranger would fit my play style better.
Honestly my 3.5 build of this character is a ranger/rogue.
I didn’t plan on a crossbow (for the pistol), but I did give him a whip. Good idea. I’ll look into it, just haven’t considered crossbows much.
Jun 16, 2018 8:06 am
Hope you went with the revised ranger...
Jun 16, 2018 12:20 pm
What is the difference between the core ranger and The revised ranger other than new subclass? I skimmed the revised ranger and it looked pretty similar to me.
Jun 16, 2018 10:46 pm
Its mostly little stuff that adds up. But a big change is that the terrain bonuses rangers get apply on any natural terrain, not just one you have to pick. Means that the ranger can't get an unextpected nerf just because your adventure moved from a grassland to a swamp.
Favored enemy can take all humanoids instead of two races.
Beast companion attacks are fixed to help the ranger keep up dpr wise.
Lots of little things that add up to help a lot.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.