Traveller anyone?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Len

Jun 20, 2018 4:08 am
Hey everyone, I'm looking to assemble a starship crew to explore the stars using the Mongoose Traveller 2nd Ed. rules of Traveller. My intention is to run a sandbox style game that is tailored to the interests of the players. Therefore, all story elements are on the table and we will decide on them as a group. I'm entertaining the notion of running multiple games if there is enough demand and/or a consensus in play style cannot be found.

Here's the link to the game!
Jun 20, 2018 1:14 pm
Man, I wish I had the space for this in my life right now (pun intended)
Jun 20, 2018 10:45 pm
I'd be interested, but I've never played Traveller before. Is that okay?

Len

Jun 21, 2018 1:14 am
Naatkinson says:
Man, I wish I had the space for this in my life right now (pun intended)
Drop me a line if things clear up down the road and you are still interested!

Len

Jun 21, 2018 1:38 am
WalkerOfSorrow says:
I'd be interested, but I've never played Traveller before. Is that okay?
That is okay. Do you know much about Traveller?
Jun 21, 2018 1:46 am
I've heard bits and pieces about it. I know that Stars Without Number has its basis in Traveller, and that some people have lost characters during cc because of a backstory death. Ultimately, I don't really know much.
Jun 21, 2018 4:44 pm
well i rolled up a traveler character once in here, it was some crazed geniouse who lost his legs and was in a wheelchair but with like cyber agumentations.
have fuck all idea how to play, i just know that character gen is a lot of fun :)

Im interested to see how it goes and how this is run :) sign me up :) especially if i look at some of the players you already have :)
Last edited June 21, 2018 4:47 pm

Len

Jun 21, 2018 5:33 pm
WalkerOfSorrow says:
I've heard bits and pieces about it. I know that Stars Without Number has its basis in Traveller, and that some people have lost characters during cc because of a backstory death. Ultimately, I don't really know much.
I think that there are a few things to know about before jumping into Traveller:

1. This is a game in the OSR spirit! Characters are pretty flimsy and death is a real possibility. Running away is an important option to consider. Also, the story will be emergent rather than plotted out from the beginning. I have no idea what the story of this game will be, only what cool toys I've buried in the sandbox.

2. Characters are mostly mechanically formed after character creation. You can gradually learn new skills and such, but you're mostly full-formed. There is no D&D style character advancement, no levels to gain, no new powers to unlock. In that regard it is fairly realistic, but if you enjoy that part of RPGs then it will be conspicuously absent.

3. Character creation is a mini-game that is highly random. You can attempt to enlist in the Navy or apply to University for example, but the success of those attempts and their outcomes are subject to the dice. You will end up with a series of successes and failures and a backstory already generated by the end. Maybe you had dreams of becoming a captain of a starship in the Navy but end up pissing off your superiors and get stuck peeling potatoes planetside for most of your career. In older versions you have to roll to survive each round of the mini-game, which is harder to do in the military career than in, say, a medical professional career.

Many people find this fun but its not for everyone. If you like character builds, or planning out a particular set of synergies between abilities and classes then you won't get much of that in Traveller.

4. Capitalism and a strongly stratified class system are both heavily entrenched in the game's default setting. Mega corporations are as powerful as governments, and your social standing can be quite restrictive. However, it looks like the group is leaning towards a more frontier exploration game, which will probably limit the importance of these features.
Jun 21, 2018 5:52 pm
I'm interested
Jun 21, 2018 10:08 pm
I'm down. Just tell me what to do, and I'll fill out everything according to your instructions.

Len

Jun 22, 2018 7:28 pm
Apply to the game and join in on the discussion about your preferences for the style of game we're going to run. We have more people than can fit in a single group, so I will be selecting 5-6 players to start in the near future. If things are going smoothly I'll start up a second game mid-September for everyone else.

Len

Jun 22, 2018 7:37 pm
Wow, I'm impressed with the amount of attention that this game is getting. With 8 players cued up and maybe more to come, we will probably have to make 2 games. I'm tenatively with GMing two games (the second would have to start in mid September), but if anyone is itching to Referee a Traveller game then it looks like we will have ample players.
Jun 22, 2018 8:59 pm
I might be up for that, especially if I am still able to be a player in the other one. XD Base 2E mongoose is not my favourite but I can make it work.

I still have got two full sectors all mapped out from the last time I ran Traveller.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.