When Players disappear

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 22, 2015 3:58 am
One downside of PBP I struggle with is when players 100% completely disappear, after no sign of dissatisfaction with the game. I feel bad not only because the loss of a player, but wonder if they are ok.
Aug 22, 2015 4:38 am
I agree 100%. I don't run any games but am speaking as a player who's had fellow players or GM's disappear.
Aug 22, 2015 4:45 am
I can absolutely understand Dex; at another forum I used to frequent, a guy came back after 3 months, telling how how he got hit by a drunk driver on the side of the road and spent 3 months in a coma at the hospital... Shit happens...
Aug 22, 2015 5:22 am
Its a downside to the internet in general... people disappear and you're never quite sure why. The inactivity marker at least tells you when they're not around, but its not quite enough. I am banking on people coming back in a few weeks as the school year gets going.
Aug 24, 2015 10:04 pm
Internet Struggles. I haven't started a game on here yet to run on my own, but I plan to plan it with the idea that people will disappear from the game, and ways to deal with that for the other players and myself/DM.

Crazy things do happen though. I remember a day when I left work, woke up that night in a hospital bed after a nice car wreck I still don't remember to this day.
Aug 25, 2015 10:24 am
I dropped several players recently. No response by message. One of them was even GMing a game I was playing. Weird. It's easy enough to fill spaces by pbp
Aug 25, 2015 10:51 am
It was admittedly years ago that it happened to me last, but yeah, it seems to be a common problem with PbPs. People come and go even in the best of circumstances, and the internet exacerbates matters as you might not be in touch with a player outside of a specific site/community.

Still! I shouldn't complain, even when games end up fizzling out they're fun while they last
Aug 25, 2015 11:11 am
GM's can drop absentee players but players can't drop absentee GM's LOL! Now that I've spent a little more time here I have a better idea who's active and who's not so I know better what to expect I guess ;-)
Aug 25, 2015 11:55 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
GM's can drop absentee players but players can't drop absentee GM's LOL!
Now there's an interesting feature request... if a GM has been absent for a month, a player can initiate a vote to take over the game?
Aug 25, 2015 11:56 am
Hmmm... I wasn't actually suggesting that but now that you mention it...
Aug 25, 2015 11:50 pm
I think it would be in better taste for the players to start a new game. I'm about to leave chocokiko's game as he has been a no show for a few months.
Aug 26, 2015 6:34 pm
Dextolen says:
I think it would be in better taste for the players to start a new game.
Yes, you're right. :-)
Sep 20, 2015 12:32 am
Yeah, I was really excited about playing a particular game system, but no sign of the GM for over a month. What do people recommend for how to arrange to start a replacement game after the GM has vanished? PM to each of the players separately? Thread on a forum? Both?

If you were a player in a game where the GM had vanished, how would you like to be contacted?
Sep 20, 2015 1:58 am
Unless the game has been retired, you can still post in the game forums. Everything out in the open is best. Just be honest and ask for a discussion. The GM may even reappear and want to help it get back on track under new management.
Sep 20, 2015 2:28 am
And I'm going to establish a policy so after a certain amount of time without a GM, players can ask to have one player become the new GM.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.