Mute a Forum or Thread?

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 10, 2018 10:54 pm
When navigating the forums, I typically load up the top-level page and click through each section with an unread icon. There are some sections I regularly click into and then hit "mark all as read", since I'm not particularly interested in following those discussions but want to clear the unread icon. Is there a way to mark a forum or thread to prevent it from showing as unread?
Aug 12, 2018 1:58 pm
Not at the moment, but I know that idea has been mentioned in the past.
Aug 12, 2018 8:03 pm
I had forgotten about this request, but I'd love to open up this discussion. How do people envision this working? What sort of interface? I'm a bit hesitant to have a section show up as having unread posts, but it not showing up unread (the logic to get that duality would be a bit hard, unless I'm not thinking clearly). Having something were when you do a type of search (such as latest posts, or future search methods) and not show up a thread/forum is easier.
Aug 12, 2018 9:22 pm
I think you could have an option in the thread/subforum for ignore just like you have subscribe/unsubscribe
Aug 13, 2018 4:42 am
I remember putting a suggestion like this forward. In terms of function, I agree with WarDomo that having an Ignore/Un-ignore would be the simplest UI type end. In terms of the tech behind it, I would think the implementation would depend largely on how you are currently assessing if the icon should be lit up as unread for a site user.
Aug 13, 2018 5:28 am
I think I may have also suggested this in the past. In any case I think it is a fine idea. I know everyone use the site differently but just in case this info helps here is how I use GP: I log in and go straight to Latest Posts. The subscription feature doesn't work for me because I don't check my email often. So yeah I think an Ignore/Un-ignore or Mute/Un-mute toggle would work for me for things such as:
1. "Gauging Interest" posts for games which I've already decided I'm uninterested in.
2. Intro posts where I have already welcomed the newcomer.
3. General discussions on areas outside my areas of interest (such as video games).
Aug 13, 2018 5:32 am
Not to derail this discussion, but slightly related as the inverse of this (and I don't know, might possibly be integrated into a single or related feature) is the suggested Mark Forum as Unread feature.
Aug 13, 2018 10:38 am
Jabes.plays.RPG says:
Not to derail this discussion, but slightly related as the inverse of this (and I don't know, might possibly be integrated into a single or related feature) is the suggested Mark Forum as Unread feature.
I second this motion
Last edited August 13, 2018 10:39 am
Aug 13, 2018 12:59 pm
It's really important for me to hear how you all use the site, as obviously I design it for how I think it should function, which may not match with how it actually gets used. That said, the logic behind the unread button is one of the most complex/least efficient parts of the site IMO. I was never able to think of a good way of doing it...
Aug 13, 2018 2:10 pm
Yeah. I don't think it's going to be an easy solution, per se, because of the nature of the site. Every game gets a forum, plus other general forums and stuff, some games are private, some public, some users may want to see none of that outside of their world by default, others may want to see everything by default...

Definitely don't beat yourself up over "thinking of a good way to do it." I don't think any solution will be perfect given the complexity of the problem that you have to solve when you create a solution. I think iterations of small changes will eventually lead to something that resonates the best with the users. Don't try to come up with something super elegant all at once.
Last edited August 13, 2018 2:10 pm
Aug 13, 2018 2:18 pm
Oh, I gave up on super elegant long ago, thus you all have to deal with the site you gave :p Rather, with things like the CPU load the site has right now, coming up with more efficient solutions (which I may not be able to think of due to my programming experience, skills, or just because I've stared at the problem so long) is the goal.
Aug 14, 2018 3:10 pm
I am similar to Jabes in how I use the site...however when away from my work computer I rely on the emails to alert me of posts. When at work I use the latest posts page and refresh. I have noticed that it no longer rolls into a second page though and if I wait too long in between checking the site some of my games fall off the latest posts list.
Aug 14, 2018 4:23 pm
I almost exclusively use the forums link in the main bar and have it limited to only those games that I'm in. That's the way I access it from desktop and mobile both.

The mute is really useful especially for threads in the introductions area after saying hello and such.
Sep 30, 2018 6:34 pm
I use the site a little differently. You mentioned wanting to hear others' perspectives. Here's mine, and I hope it helps. You have a wonderful site, and the community is amazingly welcoming. I'm having a blast and hope to use it for decades to come!

I have my games (running / playing both) bookmarked for my browser. I subscribe to those forums. When I log into my browser, I simply open them all up in tabs so I can check in on the games. Then, I usually have a final tab for the main page to see the most recent posts in the community, and I can do a quick check for PMs. I like that I can do that right from the homepage.

Probably about once a week, I'll go into the main Forums page and just casually search through the posts. When I'm done, I click on "Mark Forum Read" so that the next time I login, I can see the new stuff and decide what I want to dive into. The "Mark Forum Read" is great, but I would also love a "Ignore" as well. I don't care much for video games, but my OCD wants me to go in there and mark it as read so I don't have the notifications... which reminds me, my iPhone has badges to clear... right back... okay, now where was I?

Hope this helps. :) I'm happy to offer direct feedback to the site or targeted questions. Feel free (anyone) to PM me. @Keleth, feel free to use my email on file to reach out as well if needed. Well done on this site BTW.
Oct 1, 2018 2:49 pm
[quote"Simkin"]I don't care much for video games, but my OCD wants me to go in there and mark it as read so I don't have the notifications...[/quote]

Oh god I feel your pain! Referring to the OCD, not lack of interest in video games.

You do not have permission to post in this thread.