New to play by post, 5e DM/player

Be sure to read and follow the guidelines for our forums.

Aug 11, 2018 8:44 pm
Hi,

I've played/DM'd d&d growing up and have in the recent past tried to get back into it and have DM'd/played 5e online via roll20. But scheduling conflicts and my own lack of consistent schedule have derailed these recent attempts. I think PbP is a good alternative for me, as I can update any time each day without having to find several hour block of time to clear each week.

So, I'd like to run a 5e campaign based on the module Princes of the Apocalypse (assuming there's interest enough to recruit players) - via play by post. I just have no experience with play by post. Anyone have any relatively "gentle" introduction to how these things are typically run?

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: I've created a game for PotA, if anyone is interested. I'm looking for minimum of 4 players.
Last edited August 11, 2018 10:12 pm
Aug 12, 2018 12:10 am
Hi. Welcome!

A poster here named Jabes has started a great thread which helps out new DMs. I know you've DMed before, but it might help break you into PbP. It hooks up vets with rooks for games with constructive feedback and helpful answers to every day questions.

If you're looking for experienced, patient players to take part in your first ever PbP game, that might be a place to start. I've signed up to be a voluntary guinea pig there, and, if you'd like, I'd be happy to play in your game.

I've played the opening of PotA before but didn't get far, so I'm blissfully oblivious to the greater plot and how it all works out.
Aug 12, 2018 12:19 am
Thank you! I will look for that. Do you know which subforum the thread might be? I saw some good information in the General subforum. Also, I've just approved you for the game! You can PM me for any character ideas or tips or whatnots.
Aug 12, 2018 12:51 am
It's in this same sub forum.
Aug 12, 2018 12:55 am
I found it. Thanks again.
Aug 12, 2018 1:32 am
Welcome twotonkatrucks. I'm currently running PotA, too (We started at level 1 with the Red Larch intro adventures, and the players are nearing level 3 and then starting the main module) so maybe I'll send you a PM if I have any questions about it - feel free to do the same.
Aug 12, 2018 1:45 am
Thanks Qralloq! Will do, though I plan on tweaking some things based on character backstories etc.
Aug 12, 2018 7:30 pm
I'm running a game from the new DM helper thread, and gotten a lot of good feedback in just the first few weeks. It's a really wonderful community here!
Aug 12, 2018 8:16 pm
Welcome twotonkatrucks! Glad to see you've leaped straight into making a game! If you need any help, feel free to ask, hopefully it's obvious that people here are friendly!
Aug 13, 2018 12:51 am
Thank you everyone! Keleth, yes everyone seems very friendly here.

One question for those experienced in running PbP. The campaign that I will be running is somewhat dungeon/interior heavy at parts, which I think makes battlemaps somewhat essential.

How do you guys typically make use of battlemaps (if at all)?

Relatedly, since PbP is asynchronous, does individual initiative order bog down the game? Is that a bad idea? Should initiative be done on a group basis (possibly adding the average or highest initiative bonus)?

I guess I'm most worried about running combat via PbP if you can't tell.

Thanks in advance.

EDIT: BTW, I have some relevant battlemaps made already in Roll20 from previous run of this campaign (not PbP) with all of the amenities that Roll20 provides (fog of war, dynamic lighting etc). Should I try incorporating Roll20 somehow? Maybe give players access to the Roll20 campaign just to move tokens around?
Last edited August 13, 2018 12:57 am
Aug 13, 2018 1:24 am
I download the maps, then use a paint program to create a new layer overlying, and erase the making level as they explore.
[ +- ] A Lance Rock map
I don't use miniatures/icons, but instead describe where the characters are and give them some latitude on positioning.

I know user Kalajel uses Google Slides with great effect to mimic the standard interactable battle maps.
Last edited August 13, 2018 1:24 am
Aug 13, 2018 1:31 am
Thanks Qralloq. How do you do initiative in your game?
Aug 13, 2018 1:44 am
I have everyone roll initiative individually. Then I roll for the baddies. I then say anyone higher than the baddies can post at any time. Then the baddies. Then those that were lower than the baddies.

Of course if the baddies go first then after they go the party can then post in any order.

If baddies are last then I let the party post first in any order.

Another thing I do is allow players that missed a turn (real life can get in the way) post the next day when available and I just put it in the narrative. It isn't the best way to handle things. Ideally everyone would post regularly. But PbP tends to start with a flurry and slow down considerably after a few weeks.
Aug 13, 2018 2:04 am
Aaron. That's a pretty good solution. I think I will adopt it! Thanks!
Aug 13, 2018 6:09 am
Welcome to the community, twotonkatrucks! Oh man, I had a Tonka toy truck when I was a kid and I loved it, so that takes me back! :-)

I see you already nearly have a full roster for your PoTA game. Have fun!

I have seen various approaches to battlemaps, including but not limited to Google Sheets, Google Slides, Roll20, and even straight up images that are edited and re-uploaded each time a character acts. I say go with whichever you're most comfortable with. I'm sure it'll be great!

I've also seen various approaches to initiative. Among all these, what Aaron suggested seems to be the best compromise.

Tsavo mentioned the GM Mentoring Project. If you're interested in participating in any capacity we'd love to have you!
Aug 13, 2018 2:39 pm
For initiative, I tend to roll for everyone in my game (so you don't spend 2-3 days just getting init order) but then use them how Aaron described.

For maps, I use a blend of Roll20 and Google Sheets. If you want to go the route of images that are uploaded as Jabes mentioned, I use Postimages.Org with a free account to host all the images and then use their direct link URL to let you embed the picture in your post here.

Also, good on you starting off with running a game. :)
Aug 13, 2018 4:51 pm
I always use imgur.com for images.
Aug 13, 2018 10:18 pm
Thank you everyone!

Jabes.plays.RPG, in the course of running my campaign if I run into a conundrum or problem would you mind if I PM you for advice? You seem to be quite knowledgeable and experienced in PbP.

Dramasailor, I decided to use precisely what you suggested for initiatives here. Thank you!

As for battlemaps etc, I decided to incorporate Roll20 by manipulating tokens and taking screenshots. Upload it to imgur or postimages as suggested. For movements, my current solution is to have the players indicate movement thusly,
Quote:

Indicate the movement by sequence deliminated by a comma:

- Left (L)
- Right (R)
- Up (U)
- Down (D)
- Left-upper diagonal (LU)
- Right-upper diagonal (RU)
- Left-down diagonal (LD)
- Right-down diagaonal (RD)

So for example (L,L,U,U).
Last edited August 13, 2018 10:18 pm
Aug 13, 2018 10:32 pm
Quote:
Jabes.plays.RPG, in the course of running my campaign if I run into a conundrum or problem would you mind if I PM you for advice? You seem to be quite knowledgeable and experienced in PbP.
There are plenty of other members with far more experience than I, and as you've already seen, everybody here is super helpful, but yeah feel free to PM me, and I will help in any way I can. :-)

I also encourage you to join the GamersPlane discord server - just another way to bounce ideas around with the other members.
load next

You do not have permission to post in this thread.